The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 March 2017, 10:46 PM   #1
GUB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16030
Icon5 Is Rolex still making Rolex-branded acrylic crystals for vintage models?

Anyone know who is making the official acrylic cyclops and tropical crystals for the vintage models?

There are surely official Rolex crystals in Rolex-branded bags, but is Rolex really manufacturing crystals for vintage models themselves in 2017? Did they ever?

I wonder if these crystals are the watch version of the "official Lexus parts" that the dealership stocks in official-looking Lexus boxes but are really made by Wix, Bosch, and so on.

I'd be curious to see a new Rolex 118 cyclops next to a Sternkreuz...
GUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2017, 09:45 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Acrylic crystals were never Rolex branded.
Old 22 March 2017, 09:49 AM   #3
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Acrylic crystals were never Rolex branded.
Does Rolex still supply oem acrylic crystals or has that stopped long ago?
Old 22 March 2017, 11:11 AM   #4
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Does Rolex still supply oem acrylic crystals or has that stopped long ago?
The RSC put one on my 5513 in 2015. Charged me $75.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2017, 11:38 AM   #5
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
The RSC put one on my 5513 in 2015. Charged me $75.
Thanks Adam
Old 22 March 2017, 02:02 PM   #6
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

They are different and they are to their specs regardless of who makes them.

They still supply most of the common tropics and Cyclop varieties currently.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2017, 10:03 PM   #7
GUB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16030
That's what I was hoping to know. You can find acrylic crystals in sealed Rolex bags, and an RSC will charge you big coin for a "genuine part," but I suspected someone else was making them.

Sternkreuz makes excellent plastic crystals in Europe, so I suspect they are a major vendor. Their contract could require that their own branded crystals vary slightly from the ones they make for Rolex, much like contracts for "private label" foods in grocery stores.

BTW, a Sternkreuz 118 cyclops is around $8 USD and 30 seconds' time with a crystal press, so crystal replacement charges over $50 really hurt.
GUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2017, 11:54 PM   #8
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
In some cases the service crystals are not identical to the original ones.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 12:48 AM   #9
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
I took my 1016 to an AD for service three years ago, and when the watch was returned, the domed acrylic crystal had been replaced with a "flat" acrylic one, which looks incongruous, although I have got used to its new look. I would like to have this replaced with the correct crystal at the next service, I would be prepared to buy one and send the watch to reputable repairer, asking for it to be fitted. If you know what size / type of crystal fits the explorer 1016 I would like to know, and I will contact Sternkreuz to try to by one direct. Many thanks.
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 03:12 AM   #10
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Well SK makes a good crystal...GS makes a good Crystal...lots of people make crystals...you know I love to watch the vintage watch ping pong effect...first NO ONE could possibly deal with a an aftermarket crystal (the horror)...then the old dome crystals...some wanted them and then some didn't because they looked good but they might crack...(I've got the one that came on my 58 6610 originally that passes a water test just fine). So half the people accept the flat profile service crystal because it is INDEED a better crystal because of the spec....than Joe's crystals. The truth is the guy that taught me was a dealer and CRW from the late 50's on...and he said...aftermarket crystals are generally too big and stretch the bezel...then when you get a new genuine crystal...the bezel won't seal. That has been my experience from time to time as well.

The issue is you buy the SK for the 5513 tropic 19 and you can't get your bezel retainer on because the spec is WRONG half the time....So if you are lucky enough to have the 7000.00 Rolex bezel adjusting tool you can try and stretch the bezel to fit that thing...and then...your bezel won't turn because it's too small so...then you can work with trying to expand that...

Everybody's got an angle.

There is no perfect world but if you are going to get into vintage you're gonna have to take some good and bad to keep those watches going.

You can buy a 50.00 Crystal from Rolex (75-250 on the open Market if you don't have an account depending on the model) and send it to LAWW and pay 100.00 to have it reprofiled...seems a little expensive....or try your luck with any number of aftermarket crystals. I recently used one of Mike Young's on a 5513 and it was the best I've had so far.

For me the one that fits the best is gonna be my choice because of the time and stress involved in trying to get it to work. I used Mikes on a very original watch that had really never been apart and it was no issue.

I'm not saying SK doesn't make a good crystal, they do. Just sometimes the fit is not quite up to spec.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2017, 05:09 AM   #11
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
They still put them on service i mean original Rolex parts. They may be different to the originals fitted back in the day of the release of the watch.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote