The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: which bracelet option
buy beat up original for $330 24 85.71%
buy 2 aftermarket for $110 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 June 2011, 07:52 PM   #1
toph
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, Brellum,
bit of datejust dilemma, opinions please

So after selling all my previous rolex and moving on to slightly larger watches i recently decided i wanted a dress watch so i went with TT DJ pie pan dial 1601.
i looked at a few and after a few days and a few emails to sellers I got one just just serviced in the condition i wanted at the price i wanted.

Dilemma?

I bought one without a bracelet. why? because most of them are a beat up POS that could stretch round my neck. Also they added about $500 onto the price of the one i got.
Then i see a jubilee of perfect fit endlinks etc and its in OK ( at best) , (better than the ones on complete watches though) condition and is $330. so i thought worst come to worst i can get that.
I have found two aftermarket ( jubilee and Oyster) both $55 each? obviously original quality will not be the same but they will be in far better condition and look a lot nicer on too. They have good reviews as well.

So would you A) buy the ok but well worn original Jubilee for $330 or get the other two aftermarket for $110.

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
toph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2011, 08:00 PM   #2
toph
"TRF" Member

added poll
thanks

"Where no counsel is the people fall, but in the multitude of counselors there is safety."

Member No.# 11795
Old 3 June 2011, 08:33 PM   #3
watchf
"TRF" Member

If an original one is stretched to a certain degree then there isn't a point in getting one at that price. There is a super jubilee (sold) and another old style bracelet on sale in the sales forum http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=179613 Not sure if it fits the head you bought.

Aftermarket would be the last resort I reckon but probably the only way to go even though I would try to get an original one in good shape.
watchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2011, 09:55 PM   #4
watch watcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintages
If we are talking two tone, then I'd get the original. Mine is stretched too, but it still screams quaity when I look at it (the finish on it). But then again i've never seen an aftermarket bracelet, so what do I know?
watch watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2011, 09:58 PM   #5
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Midsize Datejust
I think an aftermarket bracelet skeezes up the purchase. The logic for it eludes me. I'd rather see a handsome leather strap, or else just wait until you locate an excellent used Rolex bracelet.

If your poll had a third choice of saving/waiting for a good used bracelet, that would be my pick.
chicfarmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2011, 10:08 PM   #6
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Aftermarket if it's a 1601. This isn't like a 6542 or vintage Sub where people nitpick over originality, aftermarket dials, bezels etc were common both now and back then on datejusts, and if you're going to wear it you want to trust it, and for it to look good.

I know you can get some Italian made quality aftermarkets that can be better than OEM rather than the Chinese made eBay specials, maybe add that to the consideration too.
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2011, 10:11 PM   #7
toph
"TRF" Member

thank you for all your thoughts. i will have a nice leather strap for it too. meanwhile i think i will get the after market ones as a stop gap and keep on the lookout for an original in good condition in the near future.
cheers

Member No.# 11795
Old 3 June 2011, 11:13 PM   #8
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
I paid $1,000, a few years ago, to get a tt jubilee in good condition. I'd have to see the $330 version you're describing. I'm not nitpicky when it comes to stretch and would prefer "all Rolex". At the same time I've bought aftermaket oyster and jubilee's (for a sport GP) in stainless, and the quality was excellent (about $50, each). With aftermarket tt, you're only going to get gold plate and it will be 18k colored. I would expect your 1601 has 14k. However, you will be the only one to ever notice.

The Italian bracelets that we refer to are high quality and not gold plate. Therefore, $700 is probably close to the price.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2011, 11:31 PM   #9
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicfarmer1 View Post
I think an aftermarket bracelet skeezes up the purchase. The logic for it eludes me. I'd rather see a handsome leather strap, or else just wait until you locate an excellent used Rolex bracelet.

If your poll had a third choice of saving/waiting for a good used bracelet, that would be my pick.
Yep!
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2011, 12:06 AM   #10
huntershooter

I would consider an Alligtor strap over the options you listed.
huntershooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2011, 03:15 AM   #11
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Orange NATO is another option, especially if you wear a Nike tracksuit to work ;)

Or better yet, tartan NATO, match it to your kilt when you're in Glasgow!
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
dsio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2011, 09:18 AM   #12
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I would never insult my Rolex with a after market (fake) bracelet.

A NATO - yes.

A leather band - yes.

Fake bracelet - NO!

Just my opinion.

Old 8 June 2011, 12:12 PM   #13
gold canyon
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
I am a purist when it comes to Rolex but have had the opportunity to examine an aftermarket older-style jubilee (made in Italy) that had solid links. It was impressive. I like the idea of of getting an aftermarket jubilee (high quality) now with the intention of someday replacing it with an OEM bracelet in acceptable condition in the future. No sense purchasing a stretched out jubilee that you will not enjoy.