The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 June 2011, 07:37 AM   #1
joseph9a
"TRF" Member

Icon14 Newbie looking for some advice

Hi guys,

Joe here, just found your site on Google.

I've just had a big win on a bet of around $7,500 or £5,000 Sterling. I've got a bit of a gambling problem well more than just a bit haha. I've been thinking though that I need to invest this money before I waste it, as I bet in big figures like hundreds and thousands.

Rather than wasting my winnings, I was thinking I might treat myself to a Rolex. There are a few reasons behind this the first being i've always wanted a Rolex, and purely for the fact of being able to say "I've got a Rolex". Another reason though is aswell as being able to enjoy having it. It is a very good asset to have if I ever hit a financial crisis as I'm led to believe they hold their value very good.

If I lost my job for instance and I had a rolex which i paid $7,500 for and I decided to sell it to keep me and my family going, this would easily pay my rent for a year and help me get back on my feet. So aswell as being able to enjoy it, it could also provide some security.

I was just wondering what would be a good Rolex to buy as your first? I like the newer Rolex's rather than the older styled ones. Can you get any for $7,500 and if so how much could you expect to get back on this in 2-3 years. Obviously if I could get $6,000 that wouldn't be too bad as I'd have had the pleasure out of it for 2 or 3 years and got most of my money back, but if I got back say $4,000 I wouldn't be best pleased as this would be nearly a 50% Loss.

I'm sorry if i'm going on, just wanted to know a bit more before I dive in at the deep end and buy one.

Thanks

Joe

joseph9a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 11:38 AM   #2
nauticajoe
"TRF" Member

Give the SubC a try.
nauticajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 11:42 AM   #3
evanvito
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Welcome Joe. I too would recommend the SubC.
evanvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 11:47 AM   #4
drockadam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi.
Submariner Date for sure! Try looking at the 16610 or the 116610LN! Those would be my options for a first Rolex!
drockadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 11:48 AM   #5
mastermixer
"TRF" Member

Let it ride! but seriously a stainless sub will probably be your best bet for holding value, especially if you buy one used that's already depreciated.
mastermixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 11:52 AM   #6
joseph9a
"TRF" Member

I've seen this one which I like it's retailing at $7,500 approx

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

As you can see it says it is insured for £12,000, which is about $18,000. If say for instance it was lost or stolen would I recieve $18,000 even though I would have paid closer to $8,000.

Also if i bought this for $7,500 what would it fetch in 12 months time. Purely hypothetically as I do not intend on doing this as it would either be a really small profit or a loss, just want to know. Thanks
Old 8 June 2011, 12:04 PM   #7
joseph9a
"TRF" Member

BTW just been looking at the submariners and there beauttifull :)
Old 8 June 2011, 12:22 PM   #8
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
you really cant go wrong with a subc. and if you ever need to flip it (to fund your next bet) it will hold its value pretty well.
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 12:25 PM   #9
joseph9a
"TRF" Member

Is a submariner cermaic a SubC?
Old 8 June 2011, 12:26 PM   #10
joseph9a
"TRF" Member

what do you guys think of the image i've linked in?
Old 8 June 2011, 12:29 PM   #11
chicfarmer1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Midsize Datejust
What are you trying to accomplish?
chicfarmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 12:29 PM   #12
Jannal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanvito View Post
Welcome Joe. I too would recommend the SubC.
If possible buy pre-owned, save yourself a few hundred pounds.
Seiko: SBGX117 / SBGX335 / 7548 / SNE543P1
Jannal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 12:33 PM   #13
joseph9a
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicfarmer1 View Post
What are you trying to accomplish?
I would just like to buy a nice Rolex which say I needed to cash in on I would get say 90% of my money back, an asset which I can get pleasure out of. If I could afford to though I'd love to start collecting.
Old 8 June 2011, 12:37 PM   #14
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Invest in a nice Rolex watch before you spend the winnings! ha ha
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 12:37 PM   #15
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
A SS Sub is an excellent choice. I would go with a LNIB 16610 for $5,000 - $ 5,800 and use the remainder to pay off some bills - or maybe another good bet.

Old 8 June 2011, 12:39 PM   #16
MortgageGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I would grab just about anything in the sport line (GMT/Sub date...) on the pre owned side and should you decide to sell in 2-3 years you should not lose a dime
Old 8 June 2011, 12:44 PM   #17
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Most of the guys here can't see the Rolex for the Subs in the way.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 12:50 PM   #18
buke45
Banned

Watch: Your Butt
Buy the one you like but used Like New I Box 
buke45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 12:58 PM   #19
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
I would gamble the money trying to go double or nothing if I were you.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 06:38 PM   #20
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Welcome to the Forum Joe!

As for 'which watch' to buy, I agree that the Ceramic Sub (Sub C) is the best choice. It is by far the most popular Rolex and you will always be able to get your money back out of it - especially after 2-3 years as Rolex will (on average) raise the prices on it's watches about 10%/year (dependent upon the value of the Swiss Franc in relation to other currencies.....and because they can!!).

Anyway, I would not recommend the purchase of an all-gold watch as they just don't hold their value as well and, due to the fact they are all 18KT gold, get scratched easily and experience 'stretch' in the bracelet more than other watches. Also, there is a much smaller market for solid gold pieces.

The best advice is to contact one of the sellers here on TRF to obtain your watch - eBay is NOT a good place to buy as you really don't know what you'll get - trusted seller or not.

Good luck and don't forget to post pics when you get your new Rolex!!!
brettpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 06:52 PM   #21
Explorer 2011
"TRF" Member

Watch: Searching
Welcome to TRF Joseph. I think the guy's could be right, if you're looking to keep value a Rolex is perfect and the sub c would be ideal. Why not go take a look at the AD and see what YOU really like for your budget. I bet you get a new addiction ! and spending on Rolex (which will relatively keep its value and you have something to wear and enjoy) will become much more enjoyable than gambling is! (which im rubbish at).

In Liverpool I would recommend Lesley @ David M Robinson in Liverpool One for a browse and good service.

PS if you really are going to "jump in at the deep end" then the Sub is a good choice
Explorer 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 07:08 PM   #22
mitchy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I'd go for a slightly used Rolex GMTIIc in SS it will hold it's value quite well and has been out for a while so it will be easier to find for the right price
Ps post pix once you get it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Lennon
mitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 07:12 PM   #23
Puffy
"TRF" Member

ahhh Joe, like a true Scouser you're attracted to the gold/bling my friend

i'd look at a discontinued Sub 16610 or GMT 16710, these are guaranteed to fly higher than the new models and they won't stand out on the streets of Liverpool as much as a YG model... (so less chance of getting mugged)
Old 8 June 2011, 07:21 PM   #24
garyfromleeds
Banned

Watch: Deepsea D Blue
A 16600 seadweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph9a View Post
Hi guys,

Joe here, just found your site on Google.

I've just had a big win on a bet of around $7,500 or £5,000 Sterling. I've got a bit of a gambling problem well more than just a bit haha. I've been thinking though that I need to invest this money before I waste it, as I bet in big figures like hundreds and thousands.

Rather than wasting my winnings, I was thinking I might treat myself to a Rolex. There are a few reasons behind this the first being i've always wanted a Rolex, and purely for the fact of being able to say "I've got a Rolex". Another reason though is aswell as being able to enjoy having it. It is a very good asset to have if I ever hit a financial crisis as I'm led to believe they hold their value very good.

If I lost my job for instance and I had a rolex which i paid $7,500 for and I decided to sell it to keep me and my family going, this would easily pay my rent for a year and help me get back on my feet. So aswell as being able to enjoy it, it could also provide some security.

I was just wondering what would be a good Rolex to buy as your first? I like the newer Rolex's rather than the older styled ones. Can you get any for $7,500 and if so how much could you expect to get back on this in 2-3 years. Obviously if I could get $6,000 that wouldn't be too bad as I'd have had the pleasure out of it for 2 or 3 years and got most of my money back, but if I got back say $4,000 I wouldn't be best pleased as this would be nearly a 50% Loss.

I'm sorry if i'm going on, just wanted to know a bit more before I dive in at the deep end and buy one.

Thanks

Joe

Try and find as new as possible 16600 seadweller as reasonably priced as possible ive seen them going up fast , since they stoped making that model !!!

DONT LET THE BOOKIES HAVE IT BACK
garyfromleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 07:42 PM   #25
Darlinboy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: :hctaW
Double down!
Old 8 June 2011, 07:44 PM   #26
Mistry
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub's/OysterP/...
Dont go for the overly gold up watches. if your thinking of keeping value then a 2nd hand sub kept in good condition will do well and still looks amazing!
Mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 08:43 PM   #27
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfromleeds View Post
Try and find as new as possible 16600 seadweller as reasonably priced as possible ive seen them going up fast , since they stoped making that model !!!

DONT LET THE BOOKIES HAVE IT BACK
Cannot understand why the 16600 has remained unchanged since 1988 when they introduced the cal 3135.With only few minor font changes and a difference case date stamp over the past 20 odd years.And thats the only difference between the many many thousands of 16600 in this world today.
I would doubt if any 16600 would be on a true watch collectors must have list perhaps only to the Internet hype type collector ..

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 11:09 PM   #28
slcbbrown
"TRF" Member

Watch: 50's TT t-bird
don't buy brand new

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph9a View Post
I would just like to buy a nice Rolex which say I needed to cash in on I would get say 90% of my money back, an asset which I can get pleasure out of. If I could afford to though I'd love to start collecting.
If you really want to be able to get most of your money back, don't buy a brand new Rolex from an authorized dealer. You'll almost certainly take a pounding if you're forced to sell. If you buy almost-new, you should be fine.
slcbbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 11:36 PM   #29
johnbeth
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on mood.
Hey Joe, Seriously if you buy a Rolex, I dont think it will last long in your care because as you said in your original post "I've got a bit of a gambling problem well more than just a bit haha". If you do buy and manage to keep it for the rainy day, I would say buy pre loved as you will get a good purchase for your buck. If you are going to use it as collateral on your next gambling spree when you run out of cash, dont bother with purchasing one. I have seen friends here in Australia and in Greece bet all they have and throw in their valuables due to desperation. I dont know you and unfortunately it would sound like I am judging you, and if it does apologies. Just a few thoughts anyway.

John
johnbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2011, 11:47 PM   #30
ally
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbeth View Post
Hey Joe, Seriously if you buy a Rolex, I dont think it will last long in your care because as you said in your original post "I've got a bit of a gambling problem well more than just a bit haha". If you do buy and manage to keep it for the rainy day, I would say buy pre loved as you will get a good purchase for your buck. If you are going to use it as collateral on your next gambling spree when you run out of cash, dont bother with purchasing one. I have seen friends here in Australia and in Greece bet all they have and throw in their valuables due to desperation. I dont know you and unfortunately it would sound like I am judging you, and if it does apologies. Just a few thoughts anyway.

John

Great advice John..

I have a bookies next door to me and watch the same faces in and out all day long none of them with a pot to p*ss in but this doesnt stop them 7 days a week. You will never see a skint bookmaker.

Save you winnings and put it towards a nice watch and keep it on your wrist never get tempted to put it on a sure thing
16610 LV.
ally is offline   Reply With Quote