The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 December 2013, 03:21 AM   #121
Nissanzx1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Most Days...
Time to go- At the time I originally started this thread, he had already pulled all his listings. So, clearly there was no harm to the public. If I thought someone else would be sending a watch to him, I would have spoken up with his username/ auction (listing) links/real name/real address, etc.

No reason to post on this public forum a "link" to his user name (which by the way is just like posting his username) unless we believe anyone else is in immediate danger of being scammed.

With that being said I am not trying to scold you. I see you have been on this forum for many years, and I am new here. I appreciate you taking the time to make suggestions and help me with ideas. After all, I was the one who posted this whole thread in a panic yesterday.

I truthfully believe that this older guy is just not good at communication. He comes from the school of "snail mail" where being gone from your work for a week (without email contact) to help out a family member is no big deal.

Someone like me, who is expected to reply to emails within the hour (work emails) thinks the world has come to an end if I loose communication for more than a couple days. Most folks in my generation are always in communication almost as if in an instant message. In this instance, I think I clearly jumped the gun.

In a few weeks I will post back with pics of the watch, or an insurance check. I pray its pics of the watch instead.

***Finally a word to those who only service/purchase at RSC or AD... I have nothing against your philosophy. If you can afford it, by all means its the way to go...
But, if you are like me (i.e. trying to build a watch collection on a low budget) you need to keep costs low. This means buying watches from various sales forums and ebay. Of course there are risks with that. I have bought dozens and dozens of Rolex's online and never had a problem until this hicup. If I only bought at AD and serviced at RSC, I would only have 2 Rolex's, not 9. I know some forum members will agree with my philosophy and some won't.

I took some risks in this situation, which in hindsight I would not relive. I did learn a lesson here so please don't flame me. I appreciate everyone who was genuinely trying to help me.

Grant
Nissanzx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2013, 03:32 AM   #122
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
I don't know if there are any hardcore BMW enthusiast on this forum, but way back in 2008 when the new BMW M3 was being launched in the US, and they were impossible to get, a forum member on Bimmerpost bid on a new M3 on eBay, where the dealership assistant mistakenly put a Buy-it-Now for for the car at $60K. This car's MSRP was $70K+ and with dealer mark-ups, they were going for $85K. The buyer purchased the M3 and the dealership tried to cancel the transaction.

Well... the forum member went ahead and posted the frustration and story on the forum and shortly after, the entire community went completely ape $hit. To the point where the story got so out of hand that forum members started calling the dealership with death threats and even found the employee's home phone numbers where more death threats commenced. It became a witch hunt.

It boiled up so much that the auto journalists picked up the story and it ended up getting mass attention which fueled an out of control fire. In the end, after death treats, loss of business to the dealership, hazings, reputation, and so on, the dealership caved in and handed the M3 over to the owner, shipped it across the country for free, along with a $12,000+ plus loss. And a lot of people got hurt in the process. And a lot of lessons were learned.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2013, 03:38 AM   #123
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Your reasoning here is ridiculous. The transaction count needed to rack up a ratings score like his could not have been achieved by someone who is uncomfortable with modern means of e-communication nor stupid enough not to utilize them properly in the conduct of his business, if legit.

Further, there are plenty of legitimate, well-known watchmakers out there who can service a watch with no worries of it disappearing for a few hundred dollars more than what this guy was advertising, meaning that even if he is "legit" and servicing these watches at this price, I doubt very seriously that he is doing it with authorized parts, which will hurt your watches' value far more than you would save by going on this misguided route.

Lastly, I would submit that if your budget is so tight that spending an extra two hundred dollars in servicing fees once every five years are going to stretch it to the breaking point, perhaps you should consider either a smaller watch collection or a less expensive hobby.
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2013, 03:42 AM   #124
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
The email he sent you is trackable to the location of the laptop/pc he used to sent it. You just need to report it.
Sorry to hear...but gotta move on. Bad people everywhere.
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2013, 03:49 AM   #125
salem65
"TRF" Member

Watch: JS Watch co. 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissanzx1 View Post
I took some risks in this situation, which in hindsight I would not relive. I did learn a lesson here so please don't flame me. I appreciate everyone who was genuinely trying to help me.

Grant
If only you would have accepted their help. Oh well. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't drink it for them.
I really hope you get your watch back
Old 16 December 2013, 03:53 AM   #126
Baselman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665 GreatWhite SD
Unbeleivable - well I for one hope the dude has got himself a new mercedes now to roll around in lol
Baselman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2013, 04:21 AM   #127
Lgear080
Banned

Soooooooo let me get this straight ... You're so hard up that you found a rando
Ebayer to service your Rolex, albeit one with a bunch of "good" eBay fb. That's
Completely ridiculous and unacceptable. I have no advice for someone that would
Believe this to be a well thought plan.
Lgear080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2013, 04:33 AM   #128
lsettle
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570/14060/3570.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgear080 View Post
Soooooooo let me get this straight ... You're so hard up that you found a rando
Ebayer to service your Rolex, albeit one with a bunch of "good" eBay fb. That's
Completely ridiculous and unacceptable. I have no advice for someone that would
Believe this to be a well thought plan.

I am with Lgear080, if it were April 1st, I would say this thread is a joke....

Lawrence
lsettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2013, 04:40 AM   #129
Baselman
"TRF" Member

Wonder how it will end
Old 16 December 2013, 04:42 AM   #130
77T

Grant - hope it all gets resolved soon.
IMHO, you may just have an eBayer who had a problem but should follow through with the service you paid for. The 1200+ positive feedbacks say a lot.

One or two people who jumped the gun and filed complaints due to same problem doesn't mean the seller is bad. His turnaround time is 3 weeks and he has had it for less than 2 weeks now.

Please post an outcome so this thread doesn't become the witch hunt Laszlo described from the BMW forum...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2013, 04:53 AM   #131
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baselman View Post
OP learn from this lesson also - Don't forget you came to us for advice & support and a lot of respected members gave you very very sound advice as well as their support which was then ignored and even criticized partly - that's just not good to do. This is a great community of experts, passionate members, a source for invaluable knowledge and a global forum that is second to none when it comes to all things Rolex.
I would when reaching out to this network always remember that in the future.
Exactly. In addition to just asking about the guy, one can easily search for info/references in the who's who section, on other similar sections on other sites, etc...also I would definitely have gotten in touch with the AD at which he claimed to have been employed, etc...simply cannot be too careful with stuff like this!
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
Old 16 December 2013, 05:00 AM   #132
Nissanzx1
"TRF" Member

Originally Posted by Baselman View Post
"OP learn from this lesson also - Don't forget you came to us for advice & support and a lot of respected members gave you very very sound advice as well as their support which was then ignored and even criticized partly - that's just not good to do. This is a great community of experts, passionate members, a source for invaluable knowledge and a global forum that is second to none when it comes to all things Rolex.
I would when reaching out to this network always remember that in the future."

Baselman I come in peace. I mean no disrespect. I really enjoy this forum and hope to contribute. I don't remember criticizing anyone. I see your comment was edited.

"Unbeleivable - well I for one hope the dude has got himself a new mercedes now to roll around in lol"

So Baselman, you hope the watchmaker steals my watch and buys himself a newer Mercedes? I don't understand?

GH
Old 16 December 2013, 05:03 AM   #133
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
I don't think you'll have to eat anything Andreas!

Well to be honest, I'm not picky, but I hate to eat words.
Old 16 December 2013, 05:07 AM   #134
Baselman
"TRF" Member

Yes I edited the post as I don't think its fair to add to the stress your already going through so I took it out and changed it to just I wonder how this will end. I think lets wait for an outcome now no bashing the OP continue to support him and understand if you was in his shoes - OP can you call and ask the guy if he will return your watch overnight and refund the money and tell us the outcome of that discussion. You can then always go to another person to get it serviced. This is the overwhelming advice being given to you here. Don't shy away ask and you'll get support from all of us but also listen to us too my friend.
Old 16 December 2013, 05:15 AM   #135
Errigle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Don't feel stupid . We all make mistakes.The important thing is to learn from them.
Errigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2013, 05:22 AM   #136
kleman
"TRF" Member

Watch: EXP
I don’t understand why some forum members are upset for the OP not following forum recommendations.

The OP had a problem and rightfully came to here to ask for advice. He is free to follow the advice or not. In this particular case, the situation changed substantially, as the e-bayer responded and gave an explanation.

Would I send my Rolex to service to this (or other) e-bayer? No, certainly not. But the OP decided that it was wise. The same goes now: After collecting advices, he has decided to trust. That is ok. The OP collected the information, analyzed it and decided.

I think (hope) that it will end well. The guy has very good feedback on e-bay. Saying that, I’m far from certain, but that is just my view.
kleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2013, 05:25 AM   #137
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
I am hoping for a positive outcome
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2013, 05:29 AM   #138
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
I don't know if there are any hardcore BMW enthusiast on this forum, but way back in 2008 when the new BMW M3 was being launched in the US, and they were impossible to get, a forum member on Bimmerpost bid on a new M3 on eBay, where the dealership assistant mistakenly put a Buy-it-Now for for the car at $60K. This car's MSRP was $70K+ and with dealer mark-ups, they were going for $85K. The buyer purchased the M3 and the dealership tried to cancel the transaction.

Well... the forum member went ahead and posted the frustration and story on the forum and shortly after, the entire community went completely ape $hit. To the point where the story got so out of hand that forum members started calling the dealership with death threats and even found the employee's home phone numbers where more death threats commenced. It became a witch hunt.

It boiled up so much that the auto journalists picked up the story and it ended up getting mass attention which fueled an out of control fire. In the end, after death treats, loss of business to the dealership, hazings, reputation, and so on, the dealership caved in and handed the M3 over to the owner, shipped it across the country for free, along with a $12,000+ plus loss. And a lot of people got hurt in the process. And a lot of lessons were learned.
Count me in as a BMW enthusiast.

Member since 2001 on M5board.com.
Old 16 December 2013, 05:37 AM   #139
Laszlo

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
Count me in as a BMW enthusiast.

Member since 2001 on M5board.com.
Right on!

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2013, 05:55 AM   #140
jphj012
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
Sorry to bash on you BMW enthusiasts, but I too was once a bmw enthusiasts until they recently had all of their cars run on turbo engines. (Except for the M series). Big mistake on their part.
jphj012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2013, 05:58 AM   #141
Silverfever
"TRF" Member

Nissanzx1 aka Grant, IMHO this thread shows you are probably one of the most decent human beings here. I sincerely hope everything ends well.

Unlike some, who have chosen to ridicule you,

I salute you.
Silverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2013, 06:00 AM   #142
improviz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphj012 View Post
Sorry to bash on you BMW enthusiasts, but I too was once a bmw enthusiasts until they recently had all of their cars run on turbo engines. (Except for the M series). Big mistake on their part.
M series will all be turbos once M4 comes out, M5 & M6 already are.
Old 16 December 2013, 06:01 AM   #143
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphj012 View Post
No turbo's on my BMW.

But we should probably do a different BMW thread on the Open forum.
Old 16 December 2013, 06:04 AM   #144
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
The funny thing is Grant drive Mercedes so please no BMW talk in this thread.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2013, 06:19 AM   #145
Nissanzx1
"TRF" Member

Jocke old buddy its okay. I also have a 528i :)

GH
15200, 16233, 16234, 16610, 16613, 16600, 16570,
Omega Man On The Moon, Asst'd Vintage Chrono's
Old 16 December 2013, 06:30 AM   #146
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
This thread is disturbing. Op, good guys finish last, sometimes a good lesson comes of it.
I'm having a hard time seeing a good lesson here. Good luck.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2013, 06:39 AM   #147
samsmart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Tint
I have seen these ads on ebay before.

Just like buying the seller when buying a watch, you should also buy the watchmaker you are sending you watch too for repair...

Sorry man, this sounds like a bad deal.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
samsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2013, 06:46 AM   #148
jbshaffer
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDK&F
OK!!!!!! Who just bid against me on the Seiko???????
jbshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2013, 07:26 AM   #149
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

I'm with Grant, and believe this will turn out positively for him.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2013, 08:42 AM   #150
DiamondJack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Quite a few
Well......I'm sure all our fingers are crossed......but just never even entered my mind to try to find a watch repairer on eBay.......I worry even when buying goods of a few hundred pounds never mind sending one of my watches and a few hundred quid......

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that TRF was a great tool which is clearly very true...... but surely your most valuable tool is your own common sense........but best of luck and here's hoping for a positive outcome........

Out of interest, what was the value of the watch?
DiamondJack is offline   Reply With Quote