The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 March 2014, 02:59 AM   #1
bobznew
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610ln
Interesting thing the AD mentioned about the YM 116622...

As mentioned in my other thread (http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=340653, I tried on the Yachtmaster SS with that stunning blue dial (model 116622) this past week at a local AD. I was talking with the salesperson about the YM in the context of its ability to hold resale value down the road (I am also interested in the SubC-Date, and resale value is obviously not a concern with the popularity of the Sub).

The salesperson told me that she had recently heard that the YM 116622 (w/ blue dial) was going to be produced by Rolex in the sort of "limited production" fashion as the SS Daytona. In fact, to quote her exactly, she said that Rolex was going to "replace the SS Daytona with the YM-blue dial as the primary limited production model." I asked her if that meant the SS Daytona would be produced in larger numbers? She wouldn't answer definitively. She said she was relaying the rumblings about the YM 116622 she had caught wind of.

I would normally take something like this with a grain of salt. Except for the fact that I heard this myself from a salesperson at an AD.

Has anyone else heard any reports like this? Just wondering how much cred to give this report...
bobznew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 03:05 AM   #2
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
My thoughts are that rolex treats its AD's like mushrooms. Keeps them in the dark and feeds them shit. Likely just wanted to sell you the more expensive watch, which also happens to be the one which likely spends longer in the case.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 03:07 AM   #3
nickb732
"TRF" Member

Sounds like sales talk, IMHO
nickb732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 03:11 AM   #4
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I also heard there was a price increase coming for 22.04.2014.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 03:21 AM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I also heard there was a price increase coming for 22.04.2014.
Better get that platona while you still can! Guy on tv said platinum is going to the moon, sometime next week. Hurry up and buy.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 03:22 AM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobznew View Post
As mentioned in my other thread (http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=340653, I tried on the Yachtmaster SS with that stunning blue dial (model 116622) this past week at a local AD. I was talking with the salesperson about the YM in the context of its ability to hold resale value down the road (I am also interested in the SubC-Date, and resale value is obviously not a concern with the popularity of the Sub).

The salesperson told me that she had recently heard that the YM 116622 (w/ blue dial) was going to be produced by Rolex in the sort of "limited production" fashion as the SS Daytona. In fact, to quote her exactly, she said that Rolex was going to "replace the SS Daytona with the YM-blue dial as the primary limited production model." I asked her if that meant the SS Daytona would be produced in larger numbers? She wouldn't answer definitively. She said she was relaying the rumblings about the YM 116622 she had caught wind of.

I would normally take something like this with a grain of salt. Except for the fact that I heard this myself from a salesperson at an AD.

Has anyone else heard any reports like this? Just wondering how much cred to give this report...
Many ADs often talk through where the sun don't shine first the Daytona in SS has never been a limited edition.Moral of story -old padi say many AD staff not always speak from mouth, but may make noises from rear end and inside dress/trousers ,much like a bull - it's called bulls**t. .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 03:26 AM   #7
Jocke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
I asked the question about ref 116622 with blue dial to Gretchen Dorfwils, Geneva HQ and got this response in my mail.

As we all know are all the blue Yatchtmaster dials made ​​from an original geniune cobalt stone. These stones are very hard to come by,
why's the blue cobalt stones are very limited. As it stands today, so will the stock of cobalt stone that did not exist already in
quarter 3, 2015 if Rolex sells as they do today of this popular model. So you're thinking about getting this model it is urgent.

With love sincerely yours

GD, RHQ Geneva

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 03:29 AM   #8
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
I asked the question about ref 116622 with blue dial to Gretchen Dorfwils, Geneva HQ and got this response in my mail.

As we all know are all the blue Yatchtmaster dials made ​​from an original geniune cobalt stone. These stones are very hard to come by,
why's the blue cobalt stones are very limited. As it stands today, so will the stock of cobalt stone that did not exist already in
quarter 3, 2015 if Rolex sells as they do today of this popular model. So you're thinking about getting this model it is urgent.

With love sincerely yours

GD, RHQ Geneva
did gretchen devote a paragraph in her book to this subject jocke?
Old 10 March 2014, 03:31 AM   #9
Jocke
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
did gretchen devote a paragraph in her book to this subject jocke?

It's probably more than likely in her next release.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 03:32 AM   #10
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
It's probably more than likely in her next release.
you have a plan?
Old 10 March 2014, 03:39 AM   #11
Royalex
"TRF" Member

Are you talking about this stunning watch

Royalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 03:40 AM   #12
bobznew
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=padi56;4789524]Many ADs often talk through where the sun don't shine first the Daytona in SS has never been a limited edition.Moral of story -old padi say many AD staff not always speak from mouth, but may make noises from rear end and inside dress/trousers ,much like a bull - it's called bulls**t. .

I figured this was likely the case. Figured I would mention it here though since I'm new to the Rolex world, and I figured accurate information would be as easily attained here as anywhere.
Old 10 March 2014, 03:41 AM   #13
bobznew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalex View Post
Are you talking about this stunning watch

Yep that's the dude.
Old 10 March 2014, 04:14 AM   #14
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
More than 100pcs are for sale on Chrono24,you can get as many as you want.

The most incompetent people are ADs,strange but true.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 04:42 AM   #15
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
ADs love regurgitating from the rumor mill.

On an aside, one AD told me how good of an investment the WG Daytona that I was looking at was. That I couldn't get hurt. Hmmm - $38K at the AD and $21K on TRF!! Good investment? Can't get hurt?!
Old 10 March 2014, 06:26 AM   #16
Tridor
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD, DJ, SubC Date
What a bunch of bull!
Tridor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 06:31 AM   #17
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by iazrollie View Post
ADs love regurgitating from the rumor mill.

On an aside, one AD told me how good of an investment the WG Daytona that I was looking at was. That I couldn't get hurt. Hmmm - $38K at the AD and $21K on TRF!! Good investment? Can't get hurt?!
Good investment if you buy it at $20K Not much chance to get 48% off from the list price though
Old 10 March 2014, 06:44 AM   #18
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
Good investment if you buy it at $20K Not much chance to get 48% off from the list price though

Check out the for sale section for the 116509. You'll see prices in the low-$20Ks for a reference the AD sells for the high-$30Ks. How can the clerk tell me with a straight face it's a great investment and I can't get hurt??
Old 10 March 2014, 07:00 AM   #19
J. Alan
"TRF" Member

I never, never believe what a salesperson says at a Rolex AD. The air conditioning has to turned to "high" to expell all the hot air.

I remember a few years back I was in the hunt for a Milgauss LV at the local AD's and the load of crap I was fed soiled the air, i.e. they are collectors items in short supply - we keep the only one we have in stock in the safe unless we have a super serious buyer, etc. etc.

So here is what I did - I purchased a BNIB Milgauss from DavidSW and saved myself 2 grand compared to what my local AD's were asking. I even showed the salesperson from an AD I tried to deal with without revealing where I purchased it (perhaps a little unkind now that I think about it) who had no comment when I told him what I paid. The whole experienced made me distrustful of AD salespeople although I have had more pleasant experiences since.

I just returned from a Mexican vacation and I believe the term there is "el toro poo poo".

A funny story to relate that happened about a year later with a bank teller regarding my Milgauss LV. He noticed it on my wrist and looked at it closely,. He had never seen one before in the flesh and was told they are very rare and were selling for $15,000!!
If he had been further up the food chain and could afford it, I would have sold it right there.

J. Alan
J. Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 03:51 PM   #20
James K
"TRF" Member

LOL, mine told me it was limited edition, price increase next week yada yada yada. I really didn't care because I wanted the watch anyways. I could smell the sales tactics the second I walked in the door. Considering that my particular SP made her entire 2 weeks salary on my sale alone I can't blame them for trying so hard. There was another "rare and hard to get" blue dial YM in their showcase a week later.
James K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 07:16 PM   #21
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

750,000 watches a year....the day rolex actually makes a limited edition on purpose (as opposed to niche models that naturally are limited...leopard daytona), it will be big news.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 08:16 PM   #22
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
750,000 watches a year....the day rolex actually makes a limited edition on purpose (as opposed to niche models that naturally are limited...leopard daytona), it will be big news.
They have made a few limited editions for Japan. The Space Dweller long ago and recently the Green TOG. Happy Birthday to you as well!
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 08:20 PM   #23
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
They have made a few limited editions for Japan. The Space Dweller long ago and recently the Green TOG. Happy Birthday to you as well!

good point! i forgot. maybe i'm misremembering, but, i thought the green TOG was the special edition for japan? probably others, too.

and thanks for the well wishes. :-)
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 08:32 PM   #24
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
Just sales talk.
Old 10 March 2014, 08:37 PM   #25
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
good point! i forgot. maybe i'm misremembering, but, i thought the green TOG was the special edition for japan? probably others, too.

and thanks for the well wishes. :-)
That is more likely the case. TOGS have been around forever (well not anymore as they are sadly discontinued.) I think Rolex just made a special edition for the Japanese market.
Gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2014, 09:24 PM   #26
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaijin View Post
Quite true but in general the normal retail for sale market the amount limited addition Rolex have made as far as I can remember you could count on one hand.And since the single letter serials started way back in 1987 Rolex has produced almost countless millions of watches so many they are considered rare by some today.Over the decades Rolex made so many watches they just ran out of single letter serials and numbers hence the now random serials.And perhaps over the next 40 years they may run out of Randoms,but myself will be long gone by then so if I meet old Hans in Rolex heaven we will both not have to worry about the random random serials and perhaps have a good laugh at the serial fixation.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2014, 12:09 AM   #27
Nidal
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjspark View Post
My thoughts are that rolex treats its AD's like mushrooms. Keeps them in the dark and feeds them shit. Likely just wanted to sell you the more expensive watch, which also happens to be the one which likely spends longer in the case.

That is the honest truth. SS YM depreciates quit a bit and you can get easy 15% MSRP any day in my AD
Nidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2014, 01:24 AM   #28
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I would run from that salesperson.

She was trying to sell you a bridge. Not cool.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2014, 04:45 PM   #29
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Damn, then I guess I shouldn't have done the 'blue to green' mod yesterday.

before:

After:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2014, 07:28 PM   #30
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Many ADs often talk through where the sun don't shine first the Daytona in SS has never been a limited edition.Moral of story -old padi say many AD staff not always speak from mouth, but may make noises from rear end and inside dress/trousers ,much like a bull - it's called bulls**t. .

+1!

Most AD's will say anything they think will make the customer more likely to buy!