The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 June 2014, 04:37 PM   #1
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Getting a "new" bezel at RSC for a vintage watch...

Hi all,

I'm currently having my 5513 serviced. Of the things that I would like to do to it is get a crisper bezel. The current bezel has been worn down over the years and while the insert is period correct and quite nice, the actual bezel itself lacks that sharpness that I really like.

While I'm generally a stickler for all things period correct, the idea of having a new, sharp bezel (while retaining the old insert) appeals to me. Has anyone ever gone to RSC and asked only for a bezel replacement? If I had to guess I would think that they would say "we can replace the bezel but the insert must be changed as well." Right?

So my question is... should I go to RSC and take the insert out myself before going and say "the insert feel out I need an entirely new bezel" ? Then cross my fingers hoping they sell me a new bezel? Has anyone ever tried to get an NOS bezel from RSC before? Sorry if that was a bit long-winded!

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 04:40 PM   #2
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
I think others have done this before. It should work, but don't let them see the old insert!

Old 5 June 2014, 04:47 PM   #3
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
If Rolex is going to leave you no choice but to play them at their own game, then yes remove the bezel and insert before taking the watch in. Just get the story of how you 'lost' it prepared in your mind first. Good luck.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 04:57 PM   #4
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Good call guys! So do you think I'm better off bringing it to them with no bezel or insert at all or worn bezel with no insert?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 5 June 2014, 05:00 PM   #5
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

neither
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 05:04 PM   #6
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007Sub View Post
Good call guys! So do you think I'm better off bringing it to them with no bezel or insert at all or worn bezel with no insert?

Depends if you want to keep the worn bezel. I would.
Old 5 June 2014, 07:05 PM   #7
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

Keep the lot IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 5 June 2014, 08:24 PM   #8
nsumner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Bezels from Rolex are sold on an exchange only basis. You will need to give them one.
Sent you an email Greg
nsumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 08:26 PM   #9
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Bezels from Rolex are sold on an exchange only basis. You will need to give them one.
Sent you an email Greg
So someone who really does lose their bezel can officially never get one from or fitted by Rolex? Is that what you mean?
Old 5 June 2014, 08:35 PM   #10
mluther
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
Post a WTB here or on VRM. I saw a NOS bezel for a 1680 a few days ago on VRM that I was tempted by (think it was $400) - not sure if it's still for sale. Have no idea what Rolex will charge you on an exchange, but pretty sure it won't be cheap.
mluther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 08:37 PM   #11
nsumner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
So someone who really does lose their bezel can officially never get one from Rolex? Is that what you mean?
I don't know for sure as it's never happened to me. I have ordered bezels on numerous occasions and each time they demanded a part in exchange. They used to do this with many parts including bracelets but now the only parts (that I'm aware of) that require exchange are:

Middle case
Case back
Bezel ring
Dial

If you did bring a watch to RSC USA with a "lost" bezel, at a minimum they would require a full overhaul and then they'd most likely sell you a bezel. The way their pricing is going these days on 4 digit sport models, the service with bezel would likely cost $2500-$3000.
Old 5 June 2014, 08:41 PM   #12
larry88
"TRF" Member

I had a service insert on 1680 and cost me less than 80 usd. It was with rsc singapore and u have to exchange the original with the replaced. It is cheaper than buying out right for sure and. The way I look at it. It is almost like trade in

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
larry88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 09:13 PM   #13
nickb732
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry88 View Post
I had a service insert on 1680 and cost me less than 80 usd. It was with rsc singapore and u have to exchange the original with the replaced. It is cheaper than buying out right for sure and. The way I look at it. It is almost like trade in

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
He's not looking for an insert, he wants a new bezel.

Nick
nickb732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 09:16 PM   #14
nsumner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mluther View Post
Post a WTB here or on VRM. I saw a NOS bezel for a 1680 a few days ago on VRM that I was tempted by (think it was $400) - not sure if it's still for sale. Have no idea what Rolex will charge you on an exchange, but pretty sure it won't be cheap.
Saw that too, I believe it was still a service ring. There is a difference between period 70's and service. With the service rings you'll have a harder time installing an old insert. The slot for the insert is slightly larger. You are correct though, the best option is sourcing one outside of RSC although more expensive. The last one I bought from Rolex, if memory serves, was $375 for an entire assembly.
Old 5 June 2014, 10:39 PM   #15
mluther
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
Quote:
Saw that too, I believe it was still a service ring. There is a difference between period 70's and service. With the service rings you'll have a harder time installing an old insert. The slot for the insert is slightly larger. You are correct though, the best option is sourcing one outside of RSC although more expensive. The last one I bought from Rolex, if memory serves, was $375 for an entire assembly.
Thanks Nathaniel - didn't realise it was a service bezel - didn't really look too closely at the posting. Def a good to know
mluther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 11:55 PM   #16
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I recently bought a bezel and insert at the RSC in Dallas. If you do not have one, they charge you double. I believe the total, with my trade-in was around $180 for the bezel and insert. They are well aware of the "I lost my insert or bezel/insert" trick. The lady at the front desk here in Dallas said they're heard that story a thousand times and any "lost" parts are charged double if you want them replaced.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2014, 11:59 PM   #17
nsumner
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I recently bought a bezel and insert at the RSC in Dallas. If you do not have one, they charge you double. I believe the total, with my trade-in was around $180 for the bezel and insert. They are well aware of the "I lost my insert or bezel/insert" trick. The lady at the front desk here in Dallas said they're heard that story a thousand times and any "lost" parts are charged double if you want them replaced.
Interesting John. Sometimes I think they make up policy as they go.
Old 6 June 2014, 07:56 AM   #18
007Sub
"TRF" Member

This is really helpful information everyone. Thanks!!!

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 6 June 2014, 07:57 AM   #19
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Has anyone ever tried installing an old insert on a new/service bezel? Is it difficult to make it work?

@true_patina
@true.dome
Old 6 June 2014, 08:10 AM   #20
nsumner
"TRF" Member

Sure, many times. It usually works fine and without issue. Allot of it depends on the condition of the other parts, in this case the insert.
Old 6 June 2014, 09:12 AM   #21
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sure, many times. It usually works fine and without issue. Allot of it depends on the condition of the other parts, in this case the insert.
X2. I've never had a problem fitting an older insert in a new bezel.

Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
Old 6 June 2014, 09:47 PM   #22
iclick
"TRF" Member

Quote:
...now the only parts (that I'm aware of) that require exchange are:

Middle case
Case back
Bezel ring
Dial
Ten years ago I had to return my worn flip-lock Oyster clasp to Rolex through an indie watchmaker to get a new one.

As for bezels, I lost the bezel and insert of my GMT doing yard work and I had no trouble getting replacements at an AD, but that was 30 years ago. The original was found several years later, so I now have two.
iclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 June 2014, 09:55 PM   #23
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
They sold you a bezel without a cleaning service? This seems to break their policy for sports models if no service.

Car manufactures are starting this trade in or double practice for body panels.. bumpers and such for various reasons.
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2014, 01:06 AM   #24
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
They sold you a bezel without a cleaning service? This seems to break their policy for sports models if no service.

Car manufactures are starting this trade in or double practice for body panels.. bumpers and such for various reasons.
They gave me the "it needs a service" line, and I am responded that it was serviced last year. Of course their response was that "their records indicate otherwise."

I told them that it wasn't serviced by Rolex.

Old 30 June 2016, 02:26 PM   #25
fbsdmd
"TRF" Member

Hello all-this may not be the thread for this-apologies if I'm in the wrong spot. The post is of an informational nature with a cautionary message. About a month ago I went to put on my GMT Master, a 1675 I think, and found the bezel was missing. As you may imagine, I was very sad. I searched everywhere, with no luck. I took it to the local dealer and he was sad too, but not real sad, because he was able to sell me a new bezel, sort of. He took my baby and sent it to the NYC RSC, and in 3 weeks it came back to me with a new bezel, leaving me about $400 out of pocket. It is nice to have the watch back, but I will no longer just put it on and wear it, without regard to what I am doing. The old bezel must have caught on my pants pocket when I stuck my hand in, or it got caught on something while I was doing yard work. The cautionary suggestion is to try not to engage in activities that will part your watch from your bezel. Unfortunately you may not know what those activities are until you look at your watch and find no bezel.
fbsdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2016, 12:21 AM   #26
watchgroupcorp
Banned

Watch: Rolex 1665 DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
If Rolex is going to leave you no choice but to play them at their own game, then yes remove the bezel and insert before taking the watch in. Just get the story of how you 'lost' it prepared in your mind first. Good luck.
It would be much more believable to remove the insert only... The bezel retention ring fits pretty snugly. He could get accused of being a tinkerer. It's very rare for the entire bezel to fall off, and it would be a pretty noticeable event due to the weight difference between the bezel assembly and only the bezel insert... unless he has a super huge back swing at the golf course and it fell in the grass after he hit a 220 yard 9 iron. ;-)
watchgroupcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2016, 05:48 AM   #27
fbsdmd
"TRF" Member

I'm here to tell you that it is very possible to lose the bezel and not notice it's gone, and I don't play golf. They did not question anything at the dealer except if I was willing to pay $400 for a new one.
Old 1 July 2016, 06:00 AM   #28
watchgroupcorp
Banned

Watch: Rolex 1665 DRSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsdmd View Post
I'm here to tell you that it is very possible to lose the bezel and not notice it's gone, and I don't play golf. They did not question anything at the dealer except if I was willing to pay $400 for a new one.
Kind of makes you wonder how many Rolex parts such as bezels are just out there in the world or in the ocean waiting to be found. #treasurehunting
watchgroupcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2016, 06:25 AM   #29
fbsdmd
"TRF" Member

I keep thinking that maybe someone found it and can't imagine what it is. I took the watch off at night, and the lights were off, so I didn't notice it then. It was pretty obvious when I put it on next morning. I tried to retrace the previous day's activities and visited some spots, and called up some places I had been to. I was concerned that they wouldn't put the Pepsi bezel on, but it seems to be exactly like the one that was lost, maybe a little brighter. The watch has an acrylic crystal, so maybe they didn't even make other colors. I've had the watch for over 20 years, and I bought it used. I'm pretty sure it's a 1675 because the GMT hand is first. I could tell for sure by taking the band off, and getting the serial number, but that looks hard.It was serviced at the dealer last year, probably why they didn't give me any grief. They did polish the crystal and the band.
Old 1 July 2016, 06:31 AM   #30
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Well now it's back to nearly new so enjoy!

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote