The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Reference Library

Old 25 January 2010, 01:47 PM   #61
David Maddern
"TRF" Member

Hi Larry,

How are you ?

Can you please tell me, if you know of course ? Is the current Deep sea ( 2009 / 2010 manufacture ) larger than when the watch was first released ? The reason i ask is that your post claims the deep sea is 43mm and the Rolex website today claims the deep sea to be 44mm ?

Thanks in advance Larry .

Kind regards

David
David Maddern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2010, 03:54 PM   #62
Gagebuilder
"TRF" Member

Watch: out for yelow snow
Hello, David, and welcome to the forum!

There has been no size change to the DSSD. For whatever reason, likely marketing, Rolex said the first releases were 43 mm and has since decided to call the latest model 44 mm, even though they are exactly the same size.

I am not 100% sure when DSSD production started and was released to the public. The only difference in releases is the letter that the serial number starts with. Some are "M" serial which Rolex started using in mid 2007, but I think the DSSD was not actually released until early 2008, and newer ones are "V" serial which started mid 2008, but they are still identical watches.

I hope this helps, and I am enjoying mine.

Last edited by Gagebuilder; 25 January 2010 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: adding
Gagebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 11:08 AM   #63
David Maddern
"TRF" Member

Hi Doug and thanks for your kind reply ,

I appreciate very much the information you have offered .

Can you also confirm the actual size of the watch as an owner ? Its killing me to know the real size

thanks in advance

David
Old 28 January 2010, 05:29 PM   #64
Gagebuilder
"TRF" Member

Sure! I have not done this yet. I have calipers, at work so I'll get back to you with what I find.
Old 29 January 2010, 06:19 PM   #65
Gagebuilder
"TRF" Member

Wow, I know see how Rolex is playing with the size numbers of this watch. The easy numbers:

Bezel diameter=43.05mm
Thickness=17.70mm
Width over crown=47.84mm
Case "length", lug tip at 12 side to lug tip at 6 side=51.96mm
---(case is over 2 inches tall)
overall case width, including crown guard=45.5mm

Now, I played around quite a bit with the case measuring and it is a bit subjective as the case is tapered. That is, the case is a bit wider where the case is nearest to the wrist and it tapers as it goes to the bezel. If you go by the bezel, it is definitely a 43 mm watch.The case is 44 mm wide from the gas escape valve to the start of the radius for the crown guard, well approximately. Measuring from 2 o'clock to 10 o'clock, the narrowest part af the case, the thickest part is about 44.5 mm and the narrowest point as about 43.2 mm.

This was pretty neat, examining my dssd this way.
Old 29 January 2010, 11:06 PM   #66
David Maddern
"TRF" Member

Icon20

Hi Doug,

I cant thank you enough , i was going around the bend trying to find this information and was getting nowhere . I must say I'm relieved also to here its 44mm + ( at least somewhere ) as a large watch is what the deepsea should be .

I should imagine Larry will also appreciate you going to so much trouble and perhaps he will include your findings in his fantastic initial thread ?

I'm even more jealous of your deepsea now and hope you get many years of pleasure glancing at the time .

sincerely

David
Old 30 January 2010, 04:23 PM   #67
Gagebuilder
"TRF" Member

My pleasure, David!

I wore it to work the last 2 days and my co-worker has told me I need to write my will this weekend, with the DSSD going to him!

Yeah, it's a keeper.
Old 31 January 2010, 07:17 AM   #68
AJAX
"TRF" Member

Watch: "The Beast" DSSD
Great post! Thanks!

Rolex DEEPSEA Sea-Dweller "V" Series
AJAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2010, 04:24 PM   #69
acuraelin

Great information guys! I love the deep sea if all goes well im picking on up tomorrow :D
I guess the questions is, for people who wear dress shirts, does it slide in your sleeves easy?
acuraelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2010, 05:31 PM   #70
NutNut
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Does anyone know how many links come on that baby? Like how many on the '12' side and how many on the '6' side?

Thanks - JJ
Based on the picture, I'm counting 5 links on the 6 o'clock side and 7 links on the 12 o'clock side. Am I right?
NutNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 April 2010, 10:04 PM   #71
bokmeipai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYogi View Post
I do not like these threads!
They make me want it more
yet they make me realize I do not dive (well not anymore but would like to start again (heck they would only be reefs I wouldn't even test the depths of the Sub))
They make me realize I could get a GMT II or A GM II C and an explorer etc.... (I could get two Rolexs (perhaps both second hand) for the price of one watch whose limits I will never test. Whose a bit big for my 6 3/4 in wrist.
BUT at the same time I think it looks really great, is quite a feat to create, I will be one of the first one the block with it and heck who cares NO ONE will EVER test the limits of it (even you SERIOUS divers) BUT many are getting it.
Why do I want this more than two Rolexs I have wanted for eons?

Come on, someone tell me why I am an idiot getting the DSSD and not 2 others or why I am lucky to be getting the DSSD and it will look fine on my wrist like my Breitling does (pics posted)
The larger size case and thickness makes this a very masculine watch. You will appreciate the larger size. I have an average wrist and when I put this on it just "pops", a real thing of beauty. If you get the chance to try one on you will be sold.
bokmeipai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2010, 02:46 AM   #72
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Good technical info on the DSSD !
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2010, 12:38 PM   #73
mhmfao
Removed

Watch: 16600K (lug holes)
SDDS Spring Bar Question

Does anyone know the diameter of the flanged spring bars on the SDDS watch band and how far they extend into the case lug?

Is it the same as the GMTIIC (.90mm diameter extending 1.00mm into the case lug?

I have concerns that the SDDS may have been under engineered in this area.

V/R,
Michael
mhmfao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2010, 02:23 PM   #74
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmfao View Post
Does anyone know the diameter of the flanged spring bars on the SDDS watch band and how far they extend into the case lug?

Is it the same as the GMTIIC (.90mm diameter extending 1.00mm into the case lug?

I have concerns that the SDDS may have been under engineered in this area.

V/R,
Michael
Shear strength on a spring bar is quite high.... I'm not sure what criteria you would use to determine that it is "under engineered". I also don't see that it will ever experience any more torque applied to it than any other Rolex...... Certainly the little bit of extra weight of the DSSD is not significant when it comes to load on the spring bars.........

The spring bar and the endlink on the DSSD is 21mm and so it uses a completely different end and spring bar from the GMT II..
Old 9 May 2010, 05:45 PM   #75
Mystiqz
"TRF" Member

Watch: Zenith A3818
thanks for the data
Mystiqz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2010, 04:09 AM   #76
mlotus95
Banned

Watch: GMT master II
awsome watch.
mlotus95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2010, 10:57 AM   #77
bokmeipai
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
Man, this watch is giving me severe bracelet envy.

Guess the GMT IIc has the same bracelet . . . ?
The GMT IIc bracelet does not have the glidelock.
bokmeipai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2010, 06:37 AM   #78
firnatine
"TRF" Member

Watch: super avenger
V and M

Hello,
I am new here. What is the difference between a V and M series deepsea dwellers. Thanks in advance.
firnatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2010, 09:16 AM   #79
Gagebuilder
"TRF" Member

Welcome!

There is no difference, they are identical. Rolex changed the case spec. from 43 mm to 44 mm, but there was no actual change in case size.

Well, other than the "M" is the first year made, "V" was made later or "newer."

Side note: I've had my "M" for 6 months now and it will be the last watch I'll ever sell, if I go broke!
Old 14 June 2010, 09:30 AM   #80
sparky_magoo

Watch: Deep Sea
My DeepSea is my third Rolex since 1982. I beat the hell out of it while wearing it. I have beat the hell out of my past two Submariners. Rolex's are made for abuse. Stop worrying about your Rolex. Years from now, you can sell it for a profit and buy a new one.
sparky_magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2010, 02:14 AM   #81
dinan545bmw

Icon18

The fact that all this uber engineering, techological advances and robust waterproofness and toughness was designed with both flair and handsome styling to boot, and can be worn conveniently and rather comfortably on most folk's wrist, is a true testament to Rolex's design and manufacturing prowess & acumen.

Very well done indeed by Rolex!! It's truly one amazing piece all right and something I'm very proud to own and enjoy daily. Wear it in a good health ALL!!

Great technical information on the watch also. Simply awe inspiring stuff, really - a lot really went into this puppy for sure!!

I printed out a copy for reference and my reading pleasure. Many thanks again for sharing! BEST REGARDS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0385.jpg (72.4 KB, 1367 views)
dinan545bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 December 2010, 10:21 PM   #82
SoCal C4S
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
I know this is an old thread, but thanks for all of the technical data. I am looking to get one of these soon, as it is my grail watch. I have a 14060 Sub ND, and even though I always wanted that watch, I just have to have one of these. Gotta love Rolex! :D
SoCal C4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2010, 03:51 AM   #83
dinan545bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal C4S View Post
I am looking to get one of these soon, as it is my grail watch. I have a 14060 Sub ND, and even though I always wanted that watch, I just have to have one of these. Gotta love Rolex! :D
Yes, it's really an amazing timepiece and I continue to wear her with pride and total enjoyment and pleasure! Suffice to say, it's definitely my everyday grail piece! Sure others feel likewise.

You certainly have impeccable taste. Hope to see you join our exclusive DSSD fraternity in due time!!

BEST REGARDS
Old 14 December 2010, 04:09 AM   #84
SoCal C4S
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan545bmw View Post
Yes, it's really an amazing timepiece and I continue to wear her with pride and total enjoyment and pleasure! Suffice to say, it's definitely my everyday grail piece! Sure others feel likewise.

You certainly have impeccable taste. Hope to see you join our exclusive DSSD fraternity in due time!!

BEST REGARDS
It is an awesome timepiece. I will wear it in rotation with the rest of my loved watches, but I have a feeling this one will get more wear. I plan to "join the club" in mid-February. I already have a trade/sale in the works for my Rolex Sub, so I am pretty excited.
Old 14 December 2010, 04:23 AM   #85
thesmallwave

Watch: Sub C Black
Thanks for such detailed informations about the Deep Sea Larry.
Can you please give us detailed informations about the Sub C?I want to find about the watch everything possible.
Regards, Levi
thesmallwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2010, 10:07 AM   #86
DatejustRyan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP5712R
I was told that there is no serial number located between the lugs on the 116600, only at the six position on the rehaut engraving. Is this information correct? Are there any other tell tale signs to prove it's authenticity? Reason I ask, is I am buying one second hand and want to be sure I am getting the real McCoy. Does anyone have a shot of the movement?

Thanks in advance!
DatejustRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 December 2010, 12:33 PM   #87
livilexi
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1987 Sea Dweller
I just lost the bezel in the snow, while scraping off the ice on my car......I didn't notice until hours later.....and now the plows cleaned that road.
What do I do now? Should I wait until spring and get a metal detector?
It's my late Uncles.........I'm crushed :''(
livilexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2010, 08:32 PM   #88
KirkWilfred
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Great post........20K posts? wow!

“Time is an illusion.” – Albert Einstein
KirkWilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2010, 11:07 PM   #89
RUSH2689
"TRF" Member

Watch: Recon
What a beautiful watch! Not being a fan of the cyclops I'm juggling my first rolex decision as a 14060, 16600, and now this beautiful Deep Sea!
RUSH2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2010, 04:11 AM   #90
dinan545bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSH2689 View Post
What a beautiful watch! Not being a fan of the cyclops I'm juggling my first rolex decision as a 14060, 16600, and now this beautiful Deep Sea!
yes, the DSSD is indeed a very gorgeous, yet rugged and superbly engineered timepiece worthy of a place amongst Rolex's impressive lineup.

You simply can't go wrong with the 14060, 16600 or even the DSSD. After all, they are Rolexes through and through! Best of luck with your decision making process.

BEST REGARDS