The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 September 2015, 09:58 AM   #31
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
This is weird to me, lol, because of the timing. My DD fits only slightly loose, but during the summer the heat makes it fine. I am going to my local jeweler tomorrow to take out a link for the winter. He will not charge me, but I agree, 20 beans is simply a tip for job well done
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 10:06 AM   #32
vette boy 52
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II-c TT
My experience is that most AD's are more than glad to size your Rolex for you even if you didn't buy it from them. I Singapore no problem
vette boy 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 10:08 AM   #33
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
Poor form if you are a regular buyer
zama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 10:12 AM   #34
sco
"TRF" Member

Watch: Subc AT 8500 CSO
Quote:
Originally Posted by theken View Post
A few months ago, a Rolex AD sold me a link for a 116300 Datejust II for list price and charged me $35 to install it in the bracelet.
If I had been aware of their "service charge", I would have installed it myself.
Previously I purchased several watches from this Rolex AD. I doubt that I will ever do business with them again.
Did you tell them you didn't know about the charge and that you weren't happy? How did they handle that? That is what I would base my return business on personally.
sco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 10:44 AM   #35
stil

Watch: Rolex n Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by guelerct View Post
$20 seems like tip money relative to the watch price
For sure. I tipped my watchmaker $20 for checking out a new watch I picked up. Took him 20 min...and although it's only $20 it's more than nothing.
stil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 10:50 AM   #36
Btdd05
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5167
I feel your pain ! purchased 2 tudors from my local AD and then i take my sub into have links taken out , and since it wasn't purchased there $25 . But i tell ya what won't buy anymore watches from them i would rather buy here and save a shit load of money and then $25 is worth it .
Btdd05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 11:11 AM   #37
Tri-Tip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
$20 sounds very fair to me, as long as they can do it without leaving any tool marks.
Tri-Tip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 11:12 AM   #38
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Sizing a bracelet here is complimentary. You are a Rolex customer and they are servicing their brand. Nickel and diming you for services that don't cost them anything doesn't draw your loyalty to their store.

A Rolex boutique in Abu Dhabi donated a link to a colleague to make his bracelet right (no he didn't buy it there). Contrast that with the Seiko store that charged my father in law to set the date on his new watch just purchased at their store.

I might be spoiled by the service here, but I think a luxury brand's in-store service should be a step above the kiosk at the mall. (I haven't been offered a Coke, but they sized the bracelet on my TRF acquired 16600 for free )
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 11:15 AM   #39
Chad072
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by theken View Post
A few months ago, a Rolex AD sold me a link for a 116300 Datejust II for list price and charged me $35 to install it in the bracelet.
If I had been aware of their "service charge", I would have installed it myself.
Previously I purchased several watches from this Rolex AD. I doubt that I will ever do business with them again.
If it were me and they wanted to charge me to install a link I just paid them for, I would have asked for my money back and went to another AD. The AD I bought my Omega from made sure it fit me how I liked it before I walked out, which meant there were a couple of fittings before I was comfortable with it. I went back about a year later and they removed the bracelet for me so I could put on a maratac strap...I was too impatient to wait on my tool to arrive. Didn't get charged for any of it.
Omega SMP 2254.50
Rolex Submariner 16610
Chad072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 11:19 AM   #40
charger
Banned

Watch: Yachtmaster 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGreat View Post
I agree
Me too.
charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 11:28 AM   #41
Shopguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black Submariner
So you spent thousands of dollars at another business, but you want this business, from whom you have bought nothing, to give you a free service?
Talk is cheap - you think you might purchase something from them in future if they are nice to you?
Your expectations are demeaning to them.
I sized my Sub, but I took my GMT to a local watch place and happily paid the $15.00, just to meet them, and establish a relationship with them. Nice people. They'll remember me. And I'm not in their debt, or vice versa. It's business.
Shopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 11:32 AM   #42
redmess
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopguy View Post
So you spent thousands of dollars at another business, but you want this business, from whom you have bought nothing, to give you a free service?
Talk is cheap - you think you might purchase something from them in future if they are nice to you?
Your expectations are demeaning to them.
I sized my Sub, but I took my GMT to a local watch place and happily paid the $15.00, just to meet them, and establish a relationship with them. Nice people. They'll remember me. And I'm not in their debt, or vice versa. It's business.
As I said I bought 4 watches from them in the past. Do you still think I should be charged? Just curious if this changes your opinion.
redmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 12:43 PM   #43
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
10-20 bucks is fair, but your situation that's should be free of charge. You bought 4 watches do they even know your name when you come in the store? Of course it's a business but little things go a long way. I have two jewelry stores next to each other. Both are high end. One has great customer service and one is poor.
hbombkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 12:54 PM   #44
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

All about building relationships. I bought a watch, non-Rolex, but one I wanted for awhile. Bought it used and it had dust under the crystal. Took it to my watch person, they cleaned it out for me. FREE OF CHARGE. I did not buy it from them.

Ended up walking next door and bought a little Starbucks gift card and gave it to them. They appreciated the gesture. All about building relationships.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 12:56 PM   #45
scombs263
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SD43
Everyone needs a piece.
scombs263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 12:59 PM   #46
Ritch99
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD and others
Quote:
Originally Posted by cht View Post
Just consider it a tax for not being able to figure out how to use a small screw driver.
I agree...from the looks of this thread, not many know or care to use the proper tools for the job; correct size hollow ground screw driver, loc tite, sizing block and counter mat. I shudder to think what their screw head slots look like. Thats one of the things I look at in a pre owned watch now...too many know it alls that do not take the time to learn the correct procedure, which is really quite simple. Staggering...
Ritch99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 01:07 PM   #47
Suboc
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritch99 View Post
I agree...from the looks of this thread, not many know or care to use the proper tools for the job; correct size hollow ground screw driver, loc tite, sizing block and counter mat. I shudder to think what their screw head slots look like. Thats one of the things I look at in a pre owned watch now...too many know it alls that do not take the time to learn the correct procedure, which is really quite simple. Staggering...
Suboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 01:17 PM   #48
ZeKe
"TRF" Member

Watch: Grandpa's Tissot
Seems fair to me. They are preforming a service.
Honestly, to me the only free sizing should be on the day you made the purchase from the shop. Other than that I will always ask "how much do I owe".

Thanks for the heads up though. And if you feel like they are being petty with you by charging, I recommend you let them know tactfully. I think you have a right to voice your opinion.
ZeKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 01:22 PM   #49
bmpwatch
"TRF" Member

its very easy to size a bracelet, and good skill to acquire :)....just make sure you do it over a contained or soft area!
bmpwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 01:35 PM   #50
DCgator
"TRF" Member

Watch: DS,BLNR,SubLV,DJ2
Icon6

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmess View Post
I bought 4 watches in the past from one of the dealers but that didn't seem to matter. That's what upset me the most.
The AD I go to in near my area Never ever charges me for strap/bracelet changes or adjustments. I have never bought a watch from them. Even the very first time I came into the store in 2009 to have a bracelet adjusted on my Thunderbird they would not charge me for the labor. I remembered their kindness and attitude so I always went there for this or that related to Rolex. I also make it a point to always bring them goodies from a French bakery. I always ask what do I owe and they wave me away and thank me for the pastries. AD is a family owned business and have the greatest employees who'd have been working at the store for decades, I think they started there in their late teens. Just wonderful people all around.

I agree OP should not have charged as it is part of relationship building and that OP has previously bought four watches from their store. Perhaps find another store if possible.
DCgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 01:58 PM   #51
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublover2166 View Post
Spend 20 dollars and buy a Bergeon 1.6mm screwdriver and size it yourself. Very easy DIY job. I did mine and no scratches or messed up screw slots. Now if I relied on the AD, and they damaged my watch I would be pissed to no end!
Ditto, bought one myslef and now I can throw a link on or off in 5 mins, although my local AD takes care of me free of charge and I've never bought from them for lack of price agreement.

Quote:
As I said I bought 4 watches from them in the past. Do you still think I should be charged? Just curious if this changes your opinion.
They should be taking care of you for free. It's good business as it costs them very little. That said, not everyone has the same position on the matter and if I walk into my local AD (not the one I buy from) asking for a service, I come ready to pay in full.

If you weren't a customer I would say $20 is a good price. Having bought 4 watches I wouod say they are fleecing you a bit.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 02:12 PM   #52
cdbeaver66
"TRF" Member

Unless it was a boutique of the brand you purchased or a franchise of the retailer, I would expect to pay a small amount.
1. Breitling Colt Chronograph 2. Melbourne Watch Company Portsea 3. Tudor Black Bay ETA Blue 4.Rolex GMT Master IIc LN 5. Tudor Heritage Ranger 6. Tudor Pelagos LHD 7. Tudor Black Bay Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition 8. Tudor Black Bay GMT 9. Tudor Black Bay Harrods

Instagram: mykicksandticks
cdbeaver66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 02:18 PM   #53
Copasetic
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Patek & Rolex
Quote:
Called two ADs and both said there is a $20 charge to size a bracelet if I didn't buy it there. Has anyone else experienced this? It makes me not want to ever buy a watch from them.
If I didn't buy it there I would gladly pay the $20.

If I had bought four watches there, however, I wouldn't expect to pay, BUT, I wouldn't call. I'd go in, re-introduce myself if necessary, mention my past purchases, and ask them what they would charge (or just have them do it at that point and take my chances).
Copasetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 02:28 PM   #54
Foxglove
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
spend the $20 to get a screwdriver and do it yourself. What's the big deal.
Foxglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 04:35 PM   #55
Shopguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black Submariner
Quote:
That depends on when you made it clear to them that you had purchased four watches from them previously.
I do "considerations" for previous customers all the time, but I extend the offer. And if your dealer was aware of your past patronage, then yes they probably should have offered. If they chose not to do so even in light of your purchases, then you have learned something about them.
Shopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 04:39 PM   #56
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
So you bought a 10.000$ watch and paying 20$ to get it adjusted is too much ?
Old 19 September 2015, 05:03 PM   #57
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbonds View Post
easy..most eye glass screw drivers work perfectly
Sorry, most don't.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2015, 05:05 PM   #58
Andad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecdc View Post
Why not just buy a 1.4mm screwdriver and do it yourself? I used the screwdriver of that size that came with my Panerai, and it took all of 30 seconds to do it.
1.4mm for which model bracelet????

Old 19 September 2015, 05:12 PM   #59
Andad

When a watchmaker accepts the simple job of removing a Rolex link screw he accepts the responsibility for any damage that he does.......

I doubt if anyone who has posted on this thread so far would do it for $20 far less for free.

As for the misinformation so far - any eyeglass screwdriver - 1.4mm etc....

We now have 150000 members and >800 have read this thread .

Are they all running off right now to stuff up their screws with a 1.4mm eyeglass screwdriver?

Time to lift the game?

Old 19 September 2015, 09:22 PM   #60
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Gosh. What's the issue, pay the man. If it was the same watch you bought there, then you'd have a case.

My watchmaker does things for free but then again I bring him coffee and give him dinner certificates, we're mega cool now. Get more bees with honey....
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote