The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 December 2016, 04:45 AM   #61
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
I can agree to an extent. Some of it depends on what and where you work. If you work in the local shop, sure match, Mac, snap on, Cornwell, can be status. If you work in a Porsche, Rolls, Bentley, Benz, etc shop then high end and custom tools are expected
pasted from john ,,,

actually i find it exactly the other way round , as in his line of work to a certain extent ,,,
good and expensive cars that are in a dealership for repair or service is where pretty buch anything will do thats half decent tool wise
its the farm or quarry or on a boat where stuff is old seized and not been looked after that good tools earn their keep ,,, often ive had to chisel off rust salt or concrete before beating on a socket to try and undo a bolt or the likes ,,, thats where the quality shines through.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2016, 08:41 AM   #62
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
I can agree to an extent. Some of it depends on what and where you work. If you work in the local shop, sure match, Mac, snap on, Cornwell, can be status. If you work in a Porsche, Rolls, Bentley, Benz, etc shop then high end and custom tools are expected
pasted from john ,,,

actually i find it exactly the other way round , as in his line of work to a certain extent ,,,
good and expensive cars that are in a dealership for repair or service is where pretty buch anything will do thats half decent tool wise
its the farm or quarry or on a boat where stuff is old seized and not been looked after that good tools earn their keep ,,, often ive had to chisel off rust salt or concrete before beating on a socket to try and undo a bolt or the likes ,,, thats where the quality shines through.
And I can relate to that but my point is that you wouldn't want to walk into a room they are about to preform surgery on you and see cheap scalpels. If you own a Rolls you probably don't want to see your technician open up a plastic injection molded tool box filled with "hyper tough" tools. Will those work fine to tighten a bed frame or fix a loose drawer pull, sure, but they have little place in a professional shop.

To know the future is to be trapped by it
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2016, 08:45 AM   #63
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiicustomz View Post
And I can relate to that but my point is that you wouldn't want to walk into a room they are about to preform surgery on you and see cheap scalpels. If you own a Rolls you probably don't want to see your technician open up a plastic injection molded tool box filled with "hyper tough" tools. Will those work fine to tighten a bed frame or fix a loose drawer pull, sure, but they have little place in a professional shop.

that too is true .... but most folk wouldnt know good from bad as long as they are shiny ,,, draper expert do shine.
its just nice to work with nice tools .. but ive always been a quality appreciator.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2016, 09:00 AM   #64
theloxmyth
Banned

SNAP-ON...snap-off

I rip the tips from the phillips-head drivers occasional.
(And I ain't THAT strong )

I gotta dig out my g-pa's wrenches, some of which, if not most, are toolmarked (dated) from the thirties.
(HE was wrenching on Indy cars at Indy, back then!)

theloxmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2016, 09:01 AM   #65
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
that too is true .... but most folk wouldnt know good from bad as long as they are shiny ,,, draper expert do shine.
its just nice to work with nice tools .. but ive always been a quality appreciator.
Well put. I am fortunate enough to work with/for people who do appreciate quality as well and thus they notice the tools I use. They have too much money invested to not want the best and I have too much of my reputation at stake to not give it my best. Cheers and Merry Christmas.

Old 25 December 2016, 09:12 AM   #66
gerrya
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II Polar
And high end companies like stated above should be buying tools for the workers as did mine. I'm talking about the average mechanic that has to buy his own. My company recently made us take our tools home and supplied us with the level 5 Snap on boxes that check out tools issued to each tech. That's what companies should do.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
gerrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2016, 09:31 AM   #67
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

I rather prefer to use and own my own tools.

Old 25 December 2016, 09:36 AM   #68
gerrya
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II Polar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiicustomz View Post
I rather prefer to use and own my own tools.

Yes, me and everyone else I work with thought the same thing when first presented to us, but once the box showed up worth North of $80k and we saw that it basically removed the possibility of leaving a tool on an aircraft, we quickly took a liking to it.
gerrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2016, 09:47 AM   #69
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrya View Post
Yes, me and everyone else I work with thought the same thing when first presented to us, but once the box showed up worth North of $80k and we saw that it basically removed the possibility of leaving a tool on an aircraft, we quickly took a liking to it.
And I can see that in your case. In mine I own the tools, no one but me uses them and there is no way to leave my tools in what I work on. So I don't barrow tools, I don't make payments on tools and I don't loan out my tools. The few cars I do still work on are my own.

Old 25 December 2016, 12:02 PM   #70
J!m
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Some good and valid comments here guys.

And I agree with the parallel with Rolex regarding price. Last I checked a sub should be about three grand accounting for inflation and slightly more expensive components (namely the sapphire disc as opposed to the plastic crystal and applied white gold indicies)

But like Rolex they charge what they do because they can. However I will throw in the mix that the (almost) unconditional lifetime warranty of snap-on carries a cost. These are still made in America, with our labor rates. That carries a cost as well. I have brought in ratchets from the 50's maybe? It couldn't be rebuilt so I left with a brand new sealed ratchet. I guarantee you due to the time elapsed that they lost money on that deal. It has to be made up elsewhere.

On the flip side of that same situation, here is a tool that ran strong for 60 or so years and probably was never even oiled. What brand has proven it self? Why would I trust another?

All that said, my current rep even says the new tools are not what the old ones were. That's why the old script logo tools often sell for more than the new logo tools...
J!m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2016, 12:31 PM   #71
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
Some good and valid comments here guys.

And I agree with the parallel with Rolex regarding price. Last I checked a sub should be about three grand accounting for inflation and slightly more expensive components (namely the sapphire disc as opposed to the plastic crystal and applied white gold indicies)

But like Rolex they charge what they do because they can. However I will throw in the mix that the (almost) unconditional lifetime warranty of snap-on carries a cost. These are still made in America, with our labor rates. That carries a cost as well. I have brought in ratchets from the 50's maybe? It couldn't be rebuilt so I left with a brand new sealed ratchet. I guarantee you due to the time elapsed that they lost money on that deal. It has to be made up elsewhere.

On the flip side of that same situation, here is a tool that ran strong for 60 or so years and probably was never even oiled. What brand has proven it self? Why would I trust another?

All that said, my current rep even says the new tools are not what the old ones were. That's why the old script logo tools often sell for more than the new logo tools...
I love my grandfather's old snap-on tools and I will agree that the old ones were far better made.

Old 25 December 2016, 12:49 PM   #72
greggsiam
"TRF" Member

There are a lot of similarities between the two in terms of innovation in their respective markets. Snap-on was the first to invent the ratchet. They were also the first to used forged steel. Everyone else was using cheap stamped steel. They were the first to carry lifetime warranties.

I love Snap-on from when I was a Posrche tech. Best tools ever made. Look great. Perform great. Same as Rolex.

With luxury items, you need two things. Quality and exclusivity. Without one, the other is useless. Rolex nails this. I wouldn't call Snap-on a luxury brand though. Their stuff is very expensive and for what you get, but the same applies to most any high end product. I can build a cheap car to match the performance of a Porsche, but if you want a real Porsche and the quality that comes with it, you have to pay. It's just how the market is.
greggsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2016, 02:09 PM   #73
Shopguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Black Submariner
My favourite is Hazet. German stuff, made just down the road from Rolex. Most accurate fit of any socket or wrench I have ever used.
I have a mixture of Hazet, Snap On, Proto, Gray ( Canadian brand ) and some Westward and Craftsman. I buy what works, when I need it. I rarely buy sets of anything except the standard stuff. Nobody has ever been impressed by the tools I own, rather they are impressed by the work I do for them.
Shopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2016, 02:54 PM   #74
Monsta
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep sea black
Lol snap on is the Rolex of tools
Monsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2016, 03:17 AM   #75
RPB
"TRF" Member

Watch: V Serial 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopguy View Post
………Nobody has ever been impressed by the tools I own, rather they are impressed by the work I do for them.

That's actually well said.

Wish list - BLRO; TT GMT.
RPB is offline   Reply With Quote