The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 June 2016, 09:02 PM   #1
njs22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Double Red 1665
International Service Guarantee "Would You Or Wouldn't You"

Right I am the proud owner of a 1977 1665/0 Double Red Sea Dweller and a very happy chap I must say.

Part of its documentation contained a Rolex International Service Guarantee from early 2016 now I presume this means that the watch has been thoroughly serviced and as part of that has been pressure tested as waterproof to its original 2000ft / 610m.

I will never dive with this watch but that said it might be submerged from time to time, what I would like to now is is it safe to use in this way or should I get it pressure tested again to be on the safe side?

Or am I being a complete prat and should shove it in the safe and forget I sold my arm and leg to buy it in the first place.
njs22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2016, 09:03 PM   #2
Evolver75
"TRF" Member

I would keep it away from the water.
Evolver75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2016, 09:06 PM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Personally I would not wear a vintage piece in the water.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2016, 09:06 PM   #4
Lol-x
Facilitator

What do you mean submerged?
Its a $40K watch that is 50 years old with an irreplacable dial.
Err on the side of caution, but do as you please.
You wouldn't have a problem most likely, but if the seals are damaged or the crystal is not watertight, you will never get over the consequences.
Get the watch pressure tested and don't take risks.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2016, 09:27 PM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

International Service Guarantee "Would You Or Wouldn't You"

Sounds like you are the proud NEW owner?
The RSC did what it says on the spec sheet recommended to the owner at the time - and what he paid for. What do you know about that? Do you have the RSC receipt?

There are reasons it might not have been tested to 2000'. Rather than explain all the reasons, read this recent case of a Seadweller owner: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?p=6605830

His was newer than yours. So, until you have yours opened up and inspected, then closed and tested (to 3atm IMHO) you won't know if you have corrosion issues, or other reasons. 3atm is enough not to worry about washing the cars or dipping hand into bucket of water. That's about all the water-intensive duty it ought to see IMHO.

Steve gives the best reason not to worry about 2000' in his post above. And I expect Peter to chime in soon

The one reason not mentioned in that thread that is a key one for your case, namely the crystal. Some owners of rare vintage models like to keep much of the original parts original. Acrylic crystal might not be available anymore from RSC so old one could now be too brittle to take the 2000' pressure anyway.

You are indeed a lucky person to have it - and what we'd all like to see are some good pics!

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2016, 09:46 PM   #6
njs22
"TRF" Member

Many thanks for all your comments, the service was £670 so not cheep. Photo wise I have only used my iPhone so I apologise for the quality.

Old 21 June 2016, 11:48 PM   #7
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs22 View Post
Right I am the proud owner of a 1977 1665/0 Double Red Sea Dweller and a very happy chap I must say.

Part of its documentation contained a Rolex International Service Guarantee from early 2016 now I presume this means that the watch has been thoroughly serviced and as part of that has been pressure tested as waterproof to its original 2000ft / 610m.

I will never dive with this watch but that said it might be submerged from time to time, what I would like to now is is it safe to use in this way or should I get it pressure tested again to be on the safe side?

Or am I being a complete prat and should shove it in the safe and forget I sold my arm and leg to buy it in the first place.
If I were you I'd sell this watch this week and buy 2 or 3 other Rolexes that would suit your needs better than this.

We're at the top of the vintage market right now and it looks like you need a daily wearer that is good for watersports on occasion. Go get your double red payday before the market collapses again, buy something like a 2003 5-digit or brand new 2016 SD, get a vintage Sport model like a 5513 to take care of that nostalgic side of things, get a DJ for dressy evenings as well. Use what's left and take a nice vacation.

Nothing is worse than a watch that's gotten too valuable to wear regularly, I was relieved and liberated when I sold a few of mine and bought ones I could actually wear and enjoy to the level of my lifestyle.
speedolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2016, 12:12 AM   #8
njs22
"TRF" Member

I can honestly say that I buy a watch to wear regardless of the cost. I have numerous others Pateks and Rolex's that are also daily wear's.

I didn't buy this as a pure investment as most people, I bought it to be worn and enjoyed hence my question. I understand that is unusual as most people leave them in the safe and glimpse them occasionally. What is the point of ownership if you can't wear it for the purpose intended in the first place.
Old 22 June 2016, 12:19 AM   #9
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
I can honestly say that I buy a watch to wear regardless of the cost. I have numerous others Pateks and Rolex's that are also daily wear's.

I didn't buy this as a pure investment as most people, I bought it to be worn and enjoyed hence my question. I understand that is unusual as most people leave them in the safe and glimpse them occasionally. What is the point of ownership if you can't wear it for the purpose intended in the first place.
I guess the question is if you wore the DRSD in the pool one day and it failed and your $40,000 watch was now worth $4,000 would you be okay with that? You said you sold your arm and leg to get it, so I assume the answer would be 'no'. So if you can't wear it for what it was intended for, hence the reason for my earlier post.

If it were me, I'd wear the DRSD daily, enjoy the hell out of it, just wouldn't put it in a situation where the dial could get nuked in an instant such as in a body of water.
Old 22 June 2016, 12:40 AM   #10
njs22
"TRF" Member

To be honest as long as I enjoy it it doesn't matter, I thought that when Rolex service a watch they check the water resistance? That was my reason for the original post but as with all these things in the direction of the post changes.
Old 22 June 2016, 01:03 AM   #11
brookish
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Deep Blue
Just have it pressure tested. I'm with you on the 'wear it for what it was intended', despite the cost. Don't get people that buy a watch to look at it... If I want to do that, I'll google it. If I want to wear it, I'll buy it and wear it. Congrats by the way!

Current collection: Rolex Sea-Dweller, Rolex Deepsea D-blue, Rolex 116613LB, Rolex Explorer II (black), Omega Speedmaster SS, IWC Ingenieur Chrono, Panerai PAM127, Panerai PAM328, Panerai PAM629, Panerai PAM217, Panerai PAM339, Panerai PAM341, Panerai PAM605, Panerai PAM376
brookish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2016, 03:32 AM   #12
njs22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookish View Post
Just have it pressure tested. I'm with you on the 'wear it for what it was intended', despite the cost. Don't get people that buy a watch to look at it... If I want to do that, I'll google it. If I want to wear it, I'll buy it and wear it. Congrats by the way!

Many thanks much appreciated 👍
Old 22 June 2016, 03:56 AM   #13
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookish View Post
Fully agree, once pressure tested a little skinny dipping in the pool would not be a problem at all.
Nice DRSD btw
Old 22 June 2016, 04:26 AM   #14
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Fully agree, once pressure tested a little skinny dipping in the pool would not be a problem at all.
Nice DRSD btw
I guess I don't understand why he would take the risk. He's got other watches. He doesn't specifically need a SD to splash around in the pool. So would he do this just to prove the point that it can take a licking and keep on ticking? Wants to throw on the Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack cassette and re-live how swimming poolers everywhere used to experience Rolex products in 1977? Just not getting the risk.

I am interested to see how this turns out, however. Could be one epic thread in a worst-case scenario.
Old 22 June 2016, 05:12 AM   #15
Mick P
Banned

Watch: 39mm Explorer
Chaps

If you do not use a Rolex for the purpose for which it was intended, you are not a true Role man but more of a posuer.

Regards

Mick - uses them as Rolex intended and will carry on doing so.
Mick P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2016, 05:16 AM   #16
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
Chaps

If you do not use a Rolex for the purpose for which it was intended, you are not a true Role man but more of a posuer.
Come on now. The purpose of a Rolex is to tell the time. Just because a Sea Dweller can be used at the bottom of the ocean does not mean that it must be in order to meet its owners needs and its own personal mission.
Old 22 June 2016, 05:52 AM   #17
njs22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post
I guess I don't understand why he would take the risk. He's got other watches. He doesn't specifically need a SD to splash around in the pool. So would he do this just to prove the point that it can take a licking and keep on ticking? Wants to throw on the Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack cassette and re-live how swimming poolers everywhere used to experience Rolex products in 1977? Just not getting the risk.

I am interested to see how this turns out, however. Could be one epic thread in a worst-case scenario.

I sail a lot hence the reason for the waterproof requirement. What is the point of having a watch and not using it?
People think I'm mad wearing a Patek but again no point having it and not using it. Yes I also have a Yachtmaster 2 which I use as designed and time the start of the races with the 10 minute timer.

I can't see the point of owning something and just looking at it once a week. I keep all my watches in the safe but rotate them nearly every day.

I will get it pressure tested but after a full Rolex Service 5 months ago I am very hopeful that it is fine.

I wonder if my insurance will cove the worst case scenario ??????
Old 22 June 2016, 06:10 AM   #18
lee fowler

Watch: GMT
Very nice and welcome to the club, mine says hi!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1220458.jpg (54.0 KB, 196 views)

Instagram: @lee1563
lee fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2016, 06:21 AM   #19
speedolex
Banned

Quote:

I wonder if my insurance will cove the worst case scenario ??????
That's a good question, I'm not sure. You might want to look at the rules regarding whether it's characterized as a 'watch' or an 'antique', might be different financial circumstances for each.

If you do take it in the pool, can you stream live video of the event for us?
Old 22 June 2016, 07:24 AM   #20
watchgroupcorp
Banned

Watch: Rolex 1665 DRSD
There is no reason to risk it. Even if you have it pressure tested and it passes, something could occur in a couple days, weeks, or months that could cause you serious and very expensive issues. Enjoy it as a vintage piece of history and treat it as such. Throw on a throw-away watch for any horsing around or water sports. Or make sure that your insurance policy totally covers water damage and/or the service center and/or seller have cash in an escrow waiting to give to you if you prove that the pressure tested watch failed and it was not your fault... which would be tough to prove unless you videotape you opening the package received after it is pressure tested and guaranteed all the way to the time of the potential failure. Honestly I'm just being a little silly, but there is not much in the way of legal recourse for such failure. Basically, you lose a substantial amount of value/cash. Best wishes.
watchgroupcorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2016, 07:39 AM   #21
crowncollection
"TRF" Member

I would not
Old 22 June 2016, 08:05 AM   #22
iangbris
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655, 116610

This has been my daily wearer for more than 20 years and my dads for the 20 before that. Countless dips in pools and the ocean and just about everything that life could throw at it and that is why I wear a Rolex. I don't see many advertised as worn out! I alternate between this and a SubC to minimise the Knocks. Regular servicing keeps me happy. Wear your beautiful watch in good health as you see fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iangbris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2016, 06:40 PM   #23
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
If it had an expensive Rolex service (or one according to Rolex specs) then the watch had definitely seals changed and has been pressure tested. Check the report on the service they may have data about the watch being tested.
I would wear the life out of it.
Congrats on that beauty by the way. What a lovely reference.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2016, 10:29 PM   #24
njs22
"TRF" Member

Quick update, I rang my very friendly local AD gave him the serial number and within 5 mins rang me back saying 100% waterproof so I thought you might appreciate this.
Old 24 June 2016, 10:42 PM   #25
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Well-played!
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2016, 10:48 PM   #26
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
Chaps

Regards

Mick - uses them as Rolex intended and will carry on doing so.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2016, 11:05 PM   #27
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

Glad you got it wet - it is called a Sea-Dweller after all. Serviced and pressure-tested. 'Nuff said.
Old 24 June 2016, 11:24 PM   #28
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Quick update, I rang my very friendly local AD gave him the serial number and within 5 mins rang me back saying 100% waterproof so I thought you might appreciate this.
It's not called a Sink Dweller.

Put it in the salty sandy ocean or Mick is going to call you a DRRP*

*(Double Red Rolex Poseur)
Old 24 June 2016, 11:56 PM   #29
njs22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedolex View Post
It's not called a Sink Dweller.

Put it in the salty sandy ocean or Mick is going to call you a DRRP*

*(Double Red Rolex Poseur)

She will be in salty water Sunday, couldn't be bothered to walk over the field to the beach this morning.
Old 25 June 2016, 12:21 AM   #30
Brian HCM#1
"TRF" Member

I would assume if RCS did a complete service on an actual "dive" watch, it would not leave without them confirming its watertight. Remember, there are people that actually use them for their intended purpose, and I'm sure RSC keeps that in mind.
Brian HCM#1 is offline   Reply With Quote