The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 17 November 2016, 03:27 AM   #1
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Need help identifying vintage Seamaster

My very first post on the Omega section.

While cleaning up the attic today together with my father we came across this vintage Omega seamaster that belonged to my grandfather. It has been there since my grandfather passed away in the early 80s.

It actually works after winding.

Iīve searched the web and can find many similar watches but not this one. The case back says "10K gold filled". Where are the vintage experts?

Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2016, 07:50 AM   #2
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Cool find, Felix I'm not sure of the exact model number etc. I think it's certainly worth sending to a watchmaker to have it looking like new again after a service. This watch will have a lot of sentimental value, I'm sure of it. Hopefully someone can confirm the exact model / number soon
RW16610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2016, 04:39 PM   #3
Flex368
"TRF" Member

I would love to have it serviced and get a new strap for it. Itīs difficult to find any information about this watch, especially this dial version seems to be quite rare.

I will take it to my Rolex AD (they also carry Omega) and have the watchmaker open the case to find some serial number or more details on the movement.

Any feedback regarding a possible reference number and/or year would still be much appreciated.
Old 18 November 2016, 06:46 AM   #4
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Sounds like a good idea. Be sure to report back with the findings and hopefully any info provided can lead to even more info. I know for a fact it can be rather difficult sometimes to gather info on vintage Omega watches (even modern ones) in comparison to other brands like Rolex.
Old 19 November 2016, 01:35 AM   #5
Flex368
"TRF" Member

I had the chance to pay my AD a visit today and my watchmaker contact there quickly opened the case for me.

So now I know much more, the watch is a reference KM6323 with a 563 movement, number is 33xxxxxx.

https://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-details/20417/

After a quick look he told me that the movement shouldnīt need a service for the time being, even after all these years. I left the watch at the store to have it cleaned/polished and replace the crystal and crown if possible. This might prove a little difficult as Omega apparently doesnīt supply all of the spare parts still available to ADs anymore. We will see how it turns out.

Now all I have to do is give it a thought if I put it on a black or brown strap.
Old 19 November 2016, 02:00 AM   #6
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Brown strap gets my vote! Can't wait to see the before and after shots side by side!
Old 19 November 2016, 04:30 AM   #7
Flex368
"TRF" Member

I agree, the brown strap is probably the best looking option.

It will probably take a few days until itīs back from the AD but Iīll make sure to post some pictures once I have picked it up.
Old 19 November 2016, 05:40 AM   #8
wantonebad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
So you've got the age old debate there Felix, service a vintage Omega or let it run itself into the ground... If it has sentimental value for you and you want to keep it long term then get it serviced. The rolex AD's watchmakers suggestion is most likely veiled by the watches value. An Omega certified watchmaker can give you the full rundown on the cost but a full service on it will most likely cost right around the same amount the watch is worth. Not getting it serviced will do damage to it especially if it's been sitting around unused for years. JMHO
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2016, 03:35 PM   #9
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Interesting view, Marc.

I can assure you though that the suggestion from the watchmaker doesnīt have anything to do with the value of the watch, we didnīt even talk about it. Heīs a very experienced guy and has not only worked on Rolexes but also lots of Omegas (and other brands) during the last decades including the 563 caliber which he knows very well.

In Europe thereīs a fixed price for the service of a vintage Omega and it can only be done at Omega directly or a London based store, I know the price already.

He will check the movement in detail when cleaning and polishing the watch and let me know whether there is any important work to be done right now but he doubts it.
Old 23 November 2016, 06:58 AM   #10
wantonebad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex368 View Post
Interesting view, Marc.

I can assure you though that the suggestion from the watchmaker doesnīt have anything to do with the value of the watch, we didnīt even talk about it. Heīs a very experienced guy and has not only worked on Rolexes but also lots of Omegas (and other brands) during the last decades including the 563 caliber which he knows very well.

In Europe thereīs a fixed price for the service of a vintage Omega and it can only be done at Omega directly or a London based store, I know the price already.

He will check the movement in detail when cleaning and polishing the watch and let me know whether there is any important work to be done right now but he doubts it.
I'm not a watchmaker obviously but this doesn't make sense, mechanical watches can't sit for endless amounts of time and stay in top shape. Will they run, even accurately for a while? sure but oils dissipated, pivot points get dusty and so forth. I'm not saying the guy doesn't know what he's talking about but I would consider a 2nd opinion. Again JMHO
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 05:37 AM   #11
Flex368
"TRF" Member

I picked it up today and must say Iīm really pleased with the result. The watch was polished and got a new crystal, crown, seals and tang buckle.

Now I only have to find a nice strap to go with it.

Old 28 March 2017, 07:18 AM   #12
FTX I
"TRF" Member

It Looks great.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 09:35 AM   #13
statsman
"TRF" Member

Wow. Looks terrific.

If I were you I would nose around in the attic some more.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 04:35 PM   #14
milov
"TRF" Member

You get a very unique joy when you wear an heirloom watch.

Enjoy it in good health.
milov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 11:34 PM   #15
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Wow. Looks terrific.

If I were you I would nose around in the attic some more.
My dad told me that my grandfather used to have two different Omegas. In the end he found also the second one in the attic in another box.

The second one is a Seamaster Cosmic 2000 which is in good condition but also missing the bracelet/strap. Unfortunately it seems to have an issue with the crown and canīt be wound. Iīll post some pics of it soon.
Old 22 July 2017, 12:41 AM   #16
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Iīve finally had a new strap fitted today.

Old 22 July 2017, 05:54 AM   #17
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Looks great!
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 06:49 AM   #18
Stuffthatworks
"TRF" Member

Just gorgeous - a truly priceless find, regardless of monetary value.

Congratulations.
Stuffthatworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 08:30 AM   #19
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
Quote:
Iīve finally had a new strap fitted today.

Absolutely beautiful and stylish watch - but are you sure they sold you the right size strap ? The "6" end looks too narrow (gaps at each side) but oddly, the "12" end looks OK....

It's just possibly the lugs have got distorted I guess, but it's gold filled not solid, so they would have needed quite a bit of force to move them.

I'm more than a bit OCD , so I think I'd be looking for a "hole end" half of the strap that was wider.

It's always possible they had 2 halves of otherwise identical but differently sized straps mixed up ?
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 July 2017, 08:50 AM   #20
keepitsimple
"TRF" Member

Watch: Junghans Meister
Quote:
Interesting view, Marc.

I'm not sure on which part of Melmac you live, but in Europe, - even as far as just the UK is concerned - there are several approved service centres who can handle it, and also some very respected independents who aren't stuck with Omega pricing.

The 563 movement isn't anything that special or obscure, and for a straightforward service there shouldn't be anything much to replace beyond a mainspring (and they are generic from Generale Ressorts, unless you want one of theirs re-packaged by Omega at multiple times the price).

Even if there are parts needed, the likes of STS will fairly certainly have it, and good independents would be able to source them too.
keepitsimple is offline   Reply With Quote