The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 December 2016, 10:24 PM   #91
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
Look at current cost of BLNR and I'd say they'd be the same.
I personally don't think they will do an SS coke but who knows.
I think it could be more than the BLNR. I read that the red colour is much more difficult to produce and that's why they made the new Pepsi in gold.
Lemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 10:36 PM   #92
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemieux66 View Post
I think it could be more than the BLNR. I read that the red colour is much more difficult to produce and that's why they made the new Pepsi in gold.
I've never heard this.....but who knows?
Either way I don't see it being in SS. However all will be revealed in a few months.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 10:43 PM   #93
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
They'll charge more for it because they can
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 10:44 PM   #94
Lemieux66
"TRF" Member

Watch: $10 Casio
I expect most of all a DJ41 in steel to replace the DJII, along with more dial options for the DJ41 TT.

I'd like to see more dial options for the DD40 as well - for example, Arabics would be nice.

Can't see them overlooking the SD anniversary. Not sure what they'll do about it, they won't make it green because it'll be too much like the sub. Simplest thing would be red on the dial and (wishful thinking?) a new movement.

TBH I don't expect much this year after all the new stuff last time. I think the next big changes in the Rolex range will be the roll-out of the newer movements in the Subs and other sports pieces that have been appearing in the odd model here and there for a while. Surely that will happen before any major redesigns of the established models happens.
Lemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 10:44 PM   #95
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
The Coke would be great to see. If it happens, I'd be curious to see if it's in WG or SS. If WG, I'm sure most of TRF would be in an uproar.
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 10:46 PM   #96
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
SS coke msrp would be 9,895 or so.

in wg it would be 35k.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 10:48 PM   #97
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Quote:
I'm hoping the cost to work out the process is wrapped up in the BLRO and now we get a Coke in SS. Pretty sure I'd suck it up for whatever they ask for in steel, but PM will remove it from the wish list.

If the coke even happens.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 10:50 PM   #98
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I'd have loved for an SS Pepsi ceramic.
However I'd have loved for the colours to have been a nice sharp red and blue like the old one. (I know they couldn't do this on the new WG one)
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 11:04 PM   #99
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nothing here that is an immediate buy for me. A new DD with the annual calendar in 42mm would be interesting as I think the Sky Dweller is a little to busy. The DSSD Blue is the watch that is hot in the DSSD line-up. I don't see them canceling it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 11:05 PM   #100
JapRs
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexPatek
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
The Coke would be great to see. If it happens, I'd be curious to see if it's in WG or SS. If WG, I'm sure most of TRF would be in an uproar.
Or platinum...
JapRs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 11:14 PM   #101
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
I'd have loved for an SS Pepsi ceramic.
However I'd have loved for the colours to have been a nice sharp red and blue like the old one. (I know they couldn't do this on the new WG one)

I believe the colors on the WG BLRO were intended to be the way they are. Reflecting the roots and colors of the original GMT 6542 bakelite. I wouldn't change a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 11:19 PM   #102
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
I'm buying a Coke GMT regardless of metal!
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2016, 11:25 PM   #103
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
It will, like the PepC caused, so as Rolex are more user friendly these days I don't think it will happen. I think if it is out in SS it will be priced the same as the BLNR, even if red has been harder for them to make apparently, I think they'll suck it up as I don't think they would undercut the BLNR. At least in the UK, it would bring the price of BLNR's back to reasonable levels so this "strategy" would be better than another price rise.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 12:25 AM   #104
alexxelor
Banned

Watch: ROLEX
ohhh noooo !!!
alexxelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 12:47 AM   #105
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber007 View Post

Put me down for one of these!
Don't think that model is going to happen. They discontinued the platinum ym thats a platinum dial mock up.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 01:29 AM   #106
jamesreid978
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I haven't heard that red is more difficult than blue. However, I heard from an AD friend and at Heathrow that the Pepsi is only on white gold because the ceramic bezel is one peice and the colour change is he hard part, and changing red to blue or blue to red is difficult therefore the bezel costs so much. Perhaps changing black to red isn't so difficult so a SS Coke is doable. I have a BLNR and would probably buy a SS coke in a few years if released, then complete the set with a Pepsi GMT Master 1 from my birth year.
jamesreid978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 01:33 AM   #107
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesreid978 View Post
I haven't heard that red is more difficult than blue. However, I heard from an AD friend and at Heathrow that the Pepsi is only on white gold because the ceramic bezel is one peice and the colour change is he hard part, and changing red to blue or blue to red is difficult therefore the bezel costs so much. Perhaps changing black to red isn't so difficult so a SS Coke is doable. I have a BLNR and would probably buy a SS coke in a few years if released, then complete the set with a Pepsi GMT Master 1 from my birth year.
Vibrant red ceramic is hard - Rolex has a patent on their process. I'm sure black/red is simpler than blue/red though, since the contrast is so much greater.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 01:37 AM   #108
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
Don't think that model is going to happen. They discontinued the platinum ym thats a platinum dial mock up.
That's because this is a lazy list of stuff he recycled from years past. Given how slow Rolex tends to move I get it but that's why.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 01:47 AM   #109
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKTudor View Post
Agreed. Would love another annual calendar option. Have been considering a Patek (or JLC perhaps) for that specific reason. I'd be thrilled to be able to stay in the comfort zone, which is Tudor/Rolex.
Mine too but not buying this prediction. It would kill the sales of the YMII and the Sky Dweller IMO.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 02:06 AM   #110
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Coke GMT Master II in platinum. Not SS.

Would benefit used prices for the 16710 Coke...
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 02:20 AM   #111
piratepress
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I've pretty much decided on a GMT Master II BLNR for Spring 2017, but that could change if they make either a Pepsi or Coke in SS.
piratepress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 02:24 AM   #112
JP Chestnut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepress View Post
I've pretty much decided on a GMT Master II BLNR for Spring 2017, but that could change if they make either a Pepsi or Coke in SS.
Forget about the Pepsi - won't happen. Rolex would never burn the people who paid $30,000 for a WG Pepsi. Coke seems unlikely as well, but it's at least a possibility.
Old 23 December 2016, 02:26 AM   #113
JP Chestnut
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKTudor View Post
Agreed. Would love another annual calendar option. Have been considering a Patek (or JLC perhaps) for that specific reason. I'd be thrilled to be able to stay in the comfort zone, which is Tudor/Rolex.
A normal sized, normal looking, Rolex AC would be great. That Sky Dweller is really big in person - thick too. If they could get that functionality into a 36mm DD case, I would buy it.
Old 23 December 2016, 04:58 AM   #114
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
I'm buying a Coke GMT regardless of metal!
And giving it to me!!!!!
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 06:26 AM   #115
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Yes, I believe you are correct and that even more of an issue than the color production of red being a problem, it is the seamless transition between red and blue on the bezel that is most difficult. Had to move to PM where the margins are wider and able to absorb the increased production costs. The costs of this R&D and assembly can't be currently offset by SS MSRPs. I'm not sure if Rolex would technically loose money on the product, but margins would certainly be too low to produce with current technology. Black and Red is technically cheaper to produce as the transition between Red and Black is not (supposedly) as difficult as the Blue and Red. Below in quoted italics is an excerpt from Rolex' BLRO press release.

If the Coke somehow is released in SS next year, then it will certainly be the same price as the BLNR in MSRP if the BLNR is still around. If it is truly so cost prohibitive in current time, then Rolex may IMO add a differentiated dial to allow an explanation of an increased MSRP over the BLNR. Rolex Passion Report last year predicted the return of the Blueberry GMT as well. I haven't yet seen that prediction recycled. Perhaps the thought is sharing same color blue dials with the Sea Dweller anniversary prediction from this year. Those two would probably be dependent upon each other's production, unless taking excess YM blue dials out of inventory.

IMO this SS Coke model release is still contingent on the release of the calibre 3286(7). And more than likely at that point we'll see a Blueberry and Coke SS model. Perhaps this was expedited unbeknown to us with the current state of the Swiss Watch Industry and the sales cycle.

I also can't see Rolex offering 3 versions of a stainless steel GMT Master. Either the LN or BLNR would have to go. If it comes to fruition, I wouldn't be surprised if the shocker is the BLNR going and not coming back until a later model in WG at the next GMT full redesign.

"During this innovative bulk-colouring step, half of the red ceramic insert is coloured blue. The colour is achieved by impregnating the part of the insert representing night-time hours, between 6 p.m. and 6 a.m., with a controlled quantity of a solution of chemical compounds. The solution is added before sintering at more than 1,600 °C, when the ceramic acquires its mechanical resistance properties as well as its colour. In the course of this firing, the ceramic densifies and the added compounds react with the basic elements of the red Cerachrom insert to conjure up the final blue colour."
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 09:31 AM   #116
willychu
"TRF" Member

Annual calendar + Day-Date function seems like a no-brainer to me. Take a 42mm Sky-Dweller, lose the 24-hour wheel, and add day and month windows. How about this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Day-Date Annual Calendar v.2.jpg (111.8 KB, 750 views)
willychu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 09:54 AM   #117
Xpatcan1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711/1A
I would like to see a ceramic root beer with oyster and jub-bracelet option. TT offered in yellow gold and everrose. solid brown bezel and multi color yellow/brown options!

someone feel free to make a mock up lol
Xpatcan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 10:26 AM   #118
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
Solid yellow gold sea dweller. Haha
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 10:28 AM   #119
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I'd like to see the 39mm Oyster Perpetual in more dial colors like silver and white.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2016, 10:47 AM   #120
JP Chestnut
Banned

How about an air king with a more normal dial?