The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 January 2017, 12:48 PM   #31
malarky_hk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Ok perhaps not kill the whole secondary market. For existing pieces prolly little impact or maybe price increases as it may result in lower number of new pieces coming into the market.

I reckon it would significantly impact the number of buyers of new pieces knowing that they can't resell with a valid warranty.
malarky_hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 12:50 PM   #32
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
The discount from secondary will still be cheaper than most repair work and it's only a 2 year warranty.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 12:54 PM   #33
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

I hope this is also a sign PP plans to up its QC. It will be a bad look if people are complaining about having to get their 50-150k watches serviced within 2 years.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 01:13 PM   #34
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I don't think it will kill the secondary market. Pre-own pieces that are out of warranty aren't affected since the next owner need to pay for service/maintenance anyway. But those who flip within the warranty period will see a further erosion of value since the warranty doesn't applied. If this actually holds up. But that opens up a can of worms isn't it? What if it was purchased as a gift? Or inherited?

Wonder what's the policy over here in Asia. Maybe I should email to ask them.
Then be sure to put the receiver's name on the certificate or else the two yr. warranty will be voided here in the U.S.
Dancing Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 01:19 PM   #35
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

FYI... PP 2 yr. warranty is non transferable to the second owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciano490 View Post
The warranty is only two years anyways, so it's only affecting the immediate flippers.

Still, it's kind of funny that a company whose marketing strategy is to talk about passing along its watches is making a fuss about only one person's name ever being valid on its papers.

I agree - this effectively strips the warranty away for 2nd hand owners buying from fast flippers.

I also agree with your reading of the meaning "your" that you posted earlier.

Anytime misplaced tortured interpretations are brought to a court, they inevitably look to a "reasonable understanding" of the language.

I do think PP could simplify their intent by employing "the original buyer" in their warranty disclosure.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 01:25 PM   #36
Socal to az
Banned

how many people here have not bought a watch because it didn't have the warranty? If you truly love the piece, does it matter?
Socal to az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 01:44 PM   #37
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The warranty is only two years anyways, so it's only affecting the immediate flippers.

Still, it's kind of funny that a company whose marketing strategy is to talk about passing along its watches is making a fuss about only one person's name ever being valid on its papers.
Exactly!!!!!! So much for the next generation! Lol
Old 21 January 2017, 01:47 PM   #38
pp5575
Banned

Watch: 5131G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal to az View Post
how many people here have not bought a watch because it didn't have the warranty? If you truly love the piece, does it matter?
I have some brand new watches that have problems. Some models I have to send back to PP to fix them one or twice within the first two year warrenty. I will buy less PP if there is no warrent for new watch. Only buy a watch That I real like.
pp5575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 01:52 PM   #39
kneedeep
"TRF" Member

Ridiculous repair times, comparatively short warranties that don't follow the watch....not liking the trend here.
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 02:11 PM   #40
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancing Fire View Post
Then be sure to put the receiver's name on the certificate or else the two yr. warranty will be voided here in the U.S.
Technically, the person that pays for it should be the "Purchaser" then which will still makes it void?

Quote:
This is the second paragraph on the back of PP's certificate of origin.

The guarantee is valid only for timepieces accompanied by a signed, dated and stamped Certificate of Origin given to the purchaser by an Authorized Patek Philippe retailer from whom the watch was purchased.

Anyway, all these is too confusing. And not affecting me anyway since no new PP watches are in my radar. Those of interest to me are older out of warranty pieces.
Old 21 January 2017, 02:11 PM   #41
HorologyK
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
Ridiculous repair times, comparatively short warranties that don't follow the watch....not liking the trend here.

Two years is a joke.
HorologyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 02:15 PM   #42
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp5575 View Post
I have some brand new watches that have problems. Some models I have to send back to PP to fix them one or twice within the first two year warrenty. I will buy less PP if there is no warrent for new watch. Only buy a watch That I real like.
Duplicated

Last edited by KarlS; 21 January 2017 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: Deleted as another post the same
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 02:26 PM   #43
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
Technically, the person that pays for it should be the "Purchaser" then which will still makes it void?

Yes, so if you are planning on buying me a PP as a gift then be sure to put "Dancing Fire" on the certificated ..or else there will be no warranty here in the U.S.
Old 21 January 2017, 02:27 PM   #44
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp5575 View Post

Based on what you wrote earlier, that you like to have your name on the papers, you would be fine. Your new Patek(s), with your name on the papers, will have the valid 2 year warranty for your pieces.
Old 21 January 2017, 02:50 PM   #45
pp5575
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Based on what you wrote earlier, that you like to have your name on the papers, you would be fine. Your new Patek(s), with your name on the papers, will have the valid 2 year warranty for your pieces.
That is why I prefer to buy from AD that I know. AD can helps me if I have problems of my watches.

But if I buy a watch for my family member and under their name, I may have a problem because of inconvenient. For example, my daughter is too young to visit service center.
Old 21 January 2017, 02:52 PM   #46
77T

If I was buying PP pre-owned, I'd look for 2y.o.'s...

Old 21 January 2017, 02:57 PM   #47
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

Although if you find one you want that is less than 2 years old, then you can negotiate a slightly better price (e.g. Less the cost of a service, perhaps).
Old 21 January 2017, 02:58 PM   #48
pp5575
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
You can ask for some discount.
Old 21 January 2017, 03:01 PM   #49
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
As a lawyer, I'd advise you that the repair would be far less than hiring me. Now, a class action...

On the other hand, I disagree with PJS reading. Patek puts your name on the papers. It's signed by the AD, as referred to in his quote. It seems pretty clear the "your" is addressed to the person whose name is on the materials.
You can put off the Tourbillon purchase for the time being, DF won’t be availing of your services.

Respectfully, you’re doing the same as 77T – choosing to place emphasis on otherwise innocuous wording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Very interesting discussion indeed. So HSWA and Geneva are honoring warranty work to original owners only.

Any experiences in London, Paris and other regions?
Read my comment – post #7

Quote:
This is the second paragraph on the back of PP's certificate of origin.

The guarantee is valid only for timepieces accompanied by a signed, dated and stamped Certificate of Origin given to the purchaser by an Authorized Patek Philippe retailer from whom the watch was purchased.

The bold part is where they got me by the balls.
Whoa there cowboy, don’t go shooting yourself in the foot!
Nowhere does it state that the only claimant of the warranty provided, shall be the purchaser.
Furthermore, as far as you’re concerned, the purchaser (from whom you acquired it – which then gave you legal title to the item) bought it from the supplying AD.
As such, then he was given the CoO (just like everyone else is, who doesn’t buy from an unauthorised reseller), on which the AD wrote his name, the date, and their details/rubber stamped it.
To my knowledge, the CoO comes already signed with TS’ signature, so that’s that part taken care of too.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 03:05 PM   #50
77T

FYI... PP 2 yr. warranty is non transferable to the second owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
You can put off the Tourbillon purchase for the time being, DF won’t be availing of your services.

Respectfully, you’re doing the same as 77T – choosing to place emphasis on an otherwise innocuous word.

Nowhere does it state that the only claimant of the warranty provided, shall be the purchaser.

Furthermore, as far as you’re concerned, the purchaser (from whom you acquired it – which then gave you legal title of the item) bought it from the supplying AD.

As such, then he was given the CoO (just like everyone else is, who doesn’t buy from an unauthorised reseller), on which the AD wrote his name, the date, and their details/rubber stamped it.

To my knowledge, the CoO comes already signed with TS’ signature, so that’s the signed part taken care of too.

ok

Old 21 January 2017, 03:17 PM   #51
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Respectfully, you’re doing the same as 77T – choosing to place emphasis on otherwise innocuous wording.

Furthermore, as far as you’re concerned, the purchaser (from whom you acquired it – which then gave you legal title to the item) bought it from the supplying AD.
To my knowledge, the CoO comes already signed with TS’ signature, so that’s that part taken care of too.
What I'm doing is interpreting a contract. Which is part of what I do for a living. I appreciate your respectful dissent, but I'll claim a position of authority here and tell you that I'm right, you're wrong. So boo.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 03:43 PM   #52
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
What I'm doing is interpreting a contract. Which is part of what I do for a living. I appreciate your respectful dissent, but I'll claim a position of authority here and tell you that I'm right, you're wrong. So boo.
It’s boo hoo…unless you’re trying to scare me!

That aside, and I refer you back to post #14, to re-read the statement as printed inside the owners manual that will have accompanied the CoO and boxed contents.

If you are claiming that your, as pertaining to the original owner only, then are you also claiming that the CoO is worthless to the subsequent owners, insofar as "guaranteeing the authenticity of the watch”?
I am not a lawyer, but I believe you can’t have it both ways.

I’ll ask that you humour us with your legal understanding of the word, given that the manual would likely be in the hands of the subsequent recipient(s) of the watch, to whom legal title has passed.
Are they to read the same phrase and wonder if the watch isn’t actually theirs or that the CoO no longer acts as an authenticator for the acquired timepiece?
Old 21 January 2017, 03:47 PM   #53
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'll see what they have to say when I receive the Email, but one thing for sure no where on the warranty paper say "the original purchaser"
Old 21 January 2017, 03:50 PM   #54
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Hasn't PP set a precedent by performing warranty work for multiple owners of the same watch for the past many decades?

it seems their past actions could be held against them unless they rewrote the terms of the contract.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 04:04 PM   #55
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Anyway, here is the main problem with the watch. The date does not center and sometime it will shift towards the left when I am wearing the watch. Sorry, don't why the pics came out sideway...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1 (4).jpg (59.1 KB, 307 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (69.6 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (80.5 KB, 313 views)
Old 21 January 2017, 04:08 PM   #56
PJ S
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, don't why the pics came out sideway...
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=515441
Old 21 January 2017, 04:17 PM   #57
77T

Quote:
I'll see what they have to say when I receive the Email, but one thing for sure no where on the warranty paper say "the original purchaser"
I agree they could make this clearer if they are indeed tightening up on warranty policy.

Quote:
Anyway, here is the main problem with the watch. The date does not center and sometime it will shift towards the left when I am wearing the watch.

I see what you mean - and hope they remedy that for you under warranty.

A bit OT -
Wouldn't it be nice if they came up with a "PatekCare" option for post warranty remedies? Something like AppleCare where you could purchase a 2 year plan when factory warranty expired.

Old 21 January 2017, 04:18 PM   #58
Dancing Fire
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hummmm...It does not show a rotate button after I click cancel...
Old 21 January 2017, 04:22 PM   #59
martinr
"TRF" Member

If you crop the photo a little it will show up properly.
martinr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2017, 04:34 PM   #60
KarlS
Banned

Isn't this the very reason that dealers like Jomashop MIT etc have to give their own guarantee? They know as non Patek AD that the warranty is void. There are better ways of controlling grey in North America versus voiding warranties. How about looking at who the AD's sell to first, insist papers don't leave AD blank and consequences for AD that breach distribution rules. Pull one distributor and the message will set in very quick!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote