The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 February 2017, 11:35 AM   #61
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
If you can afford the Platona it would seem you could pay for both 500's above MSRP.
Being able to afford a Platona doesn't equate to being willing to burn money when patience would allow you to burn less. :)
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:35 AM   #62
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
I didn't think AD's were able to sell above MRSP. Are there not plenty of $17k Daytona's on the various aftermarkets? The whole Daytona feeding frenzy seems so contrived by holding back on supply. So it goes. I would find another AD as I wouldn't like to be squeezed like that. Good luck. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:37 AM   #63
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Being able to afford a Platona doesn't equate to being willing to burn money when patience would allow you to burn less. :)

ok

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:40 AM   #64
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
actually

it does....
speedmaster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 01:33 PM   #65
gossbeau
Banned

Watch: 25940ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobearH View Post
Selling for over MSRP is likely why this AD has both in stock IMO.
Very smart input!!
gossbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 01:52 PM   #66
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westland View Post
I'm actually in agreement with most everything you said here, but I'm not totally sure that an AD is restricted from selling above MSRP. Sorry, but there are too many instances where people are paying a premium. Now maybe Rolex doesn't quite like the practice, but I don't see it necessarily policing the situation, either. And you don't think AD's have creative ways of hiding said premium accounting-wise?

The point of the matter is that if the OP is willing to buck-up, he can have one tomorrow, from a number of sources. But I don't see any one individual playing cop and taking down an AD for price gouging...Lol... I mean, c'mon...
Yes people are paying a premium well above MSRP for the DaytonaC. But that is the Grey market/secondary market price in the US and some non-US ADs that can markup the price. But I've not seen a US AD marking up the DaytonaC to the current grey market price of $17 - $18K.

What is probably also happening is that some US AD's are moving these DaytonaC's to Trusted Sellers and they may be selling them out the back door above MSRP because the Trusted Sellers can in turn ask (and get) $17-18K for them. The AD's know these trusted sellers aren't going to complain and the ADs maximizes their profit. Or they use the DaytonaC's to force the TS's to take other slow moving watches at full MSRP instead of a healthy discount.

But for US ADs that don't sell to TS's they sell these to their customers at MSRP and have a 2 year wait list. So for the next two years every DaytonaC they get is already sold. I'm guessing on this watch they are taking ~$5K in profit from each one sold at MSRP. Not too shabby.

Sure anyone can buy a DaytonaC today if they want to pay the current premium.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 04:05 PM   #67
second time
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAK4 View Post
I did that, and ended up flipping the platona. Just be patient...eventually you'll get a 500 and it'll be worth it in the end.
Wow, you flipped a platona for the SS steel version. If it's not impolite to ask, what was the reason for that? Was it the weight or something else? Just curious because the platona or any platinum Rolex is regarded by many as a grail.
Old 18 February 2017, 07:20 PM   #68
SpeedyTuomas
"TRF" Member

I don't think an AD should ask above MSRP. A grey dealer could. Just my opinion.
SpeedyTuomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2017, 01:42 AM   #69
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by second time View Post
Wow, you flipped a platona for the SS steel version. If it's not impolite to ask, what was the reason for that? Was it the weight or something else? Just curious because the platona or any platinum Rolex is regarded by many as a grail.
Maybe because it's baby blue and brown......
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2017, 02:03 AM   #70
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Another shocked that an AD can add their own premium. Someone will pay it though. When they can go for that from a grey dealer. Here you have the warranty, name on paperwork etc. Plus some other Rolex freebies I'd imagine (and expect). Heck, the sales assistant should give you her number.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2017, 02:32 AM   #71
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
While not haute horology I think Rolex has underpriced models. What can you get for 9k UK Sterling that comes near to a DaytonaC. Not just the watch but brand and kudos do come into it. If it was 12 or 13k they would still shift them.
That's simply an illustration of Rolex's transition into becoming Veblen goods. There was a time when the Daytona was only 15%-20% more expensive than a SubDate, but now Rolex uses it as some kind of halo product with a nearly 50% higher price vs. the SubDate (and apparently limited production,) so everyone wants one and thinks it's the zenith of the Rolex line...no pun intended.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2017, 06:23 AM   #72
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Unless Rolex makes AD's sell at MSRP or below, businesses are free to do as they please. BUT so are customers. Personally I'd never pay over msrp. It's just not worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk