The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 February 2017, 07:22 PM   #31
Hollister
Banned

Watch: 114300
I tried on a new seadweller last summer, a much sleeker case shape than the sub, but a very "top-heavy" watch. It's been pointed out to me recently that the date aperture in the seadweller is slightly misplaced in the dial as well. In any event, I didn't buy it.

For these two reasons, if I owned one I'd flip it for a sub (a five digit sub).
Hollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 08:19 PM   #32
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
Those fat sub lugs...sorry guys but they are way to square
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 08:43 PM   #33
RolexLuthor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller 116600
I think all of your opinions are valid points and appreciate them. I think maybe I should keep hold of the SD4K and start saving for a second piece. The Seadweller is a special watch and I have a feeling this case was a prototype test for the future Submariners and Gmts but without the thickness.
RolexLuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 08:46 PM   #34
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Good decision.

I have the old model but will never part with it for many reasons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (221.7 KB, 200 views)

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 February 2017, 09:44 PM   #35
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would sit tight and see Basel 17 and also what you want giving it a little.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 05:36 AM   #36
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
I personally wouldn't do it, but in the end - you should do what you want to do.
If you like Sub C more, than yes, absolutely go for it.
In my eyes, SD is one of the best watches that Rolex currently produces and I would stick to it...
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 10:08 AM   #37
xlarge
"TRF" Member

Watch: an extinct 116600
"top-heavy, misplaced date aperture"

Fortunately I didn't listen to comments like these when I bought my watch, and there were plenty of them! Always try and buy what you like.
xlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 10:56 AM   #38
Melchizedek
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexLuthor View Post
Would anyone consider moving backwards ( Not that I consider it a downgrade) from a Seadweller 4000 Ceramic to Sub C Date or would you think I'm crazy? I love my Seadweller more than anything and love the rarity factor but something always intrigues me about the submariner. I used to have the No date Sub C and enjoyed my time with that. Would you wait until after baselworld first and then weigh up your options or do you think the Sd4k is a solid keeper for life and future classic?

With the exception of the thickness, the sd is a keeper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Melchizedek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 11:24 AM   #39
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Would anyone consider moving backwards ( Not that I consider it a downgrade) from a Seadweller 4000 Ceramic to Sub C Date or would you think I'm crazy? I love my Seadweller more than anything and love the rarity factor but something always intrigues me about the submariner. I used to have the No date Sub C and enjoyed my time with that. Would you wait until after baselworld first and then weigh up your options or do you think the Sd4k is a solid keeper for life and future classic?
I'm not sure I'd consider going from a SD4K to a Sub C Date, quite moving backwards. SD4K is quite thick IMO and misses the mark if you're not a diver and/or don't wear it for causal use. I'm not saying it should be a Sub, just that the Sub is a little better suited for under shirt cuffs etc. The commonality of the Sub C Date is extremely over exaggerated too. Not even that common on TRF. Is the extra water resistance worth the extra $2k, not even close IMO for 99.9999% percent of buyers because it will never be used. Rolex needs to differentiate the SD with different dial details, dial sizes etc. IMO for it to be a real hit. Get whatever you prefer yourself and don't worry what other people think. Both pretty awesome watches and IMO the black Sub C Date is as classic as you can get. While the no date was the original, shortly thereafter the Date became the icon IMO
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 01:37 PM   #40
gossbeau
Banned

Watch: 25940ok
If you feel the itch for a change, get something completely different. As per a black diver, all brands included, I think you are already at the top of the food chain.
I love thick watches so I am biased!!
gossbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 05:51 PM   #41
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Why not make a change to something a bit different wth a splash of colour?
I recommend the GMT BLNR.

I've flipped all sorts of models in the past, SD, SubC, LV, SS Daytona and this BLNR is the most stunning watch I've ever owned.

Worth a shot if you can get one.
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 09:09 PM   #42
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
SDc is damn near perfection. I would hold onto it tightly.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 10:22 PM   #43
Steve36Efc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126603
I own and love a couple of Subs and have though about flipping my 114060 for the SD4K but decided there was not enough difference justify the inevitable cost. It would be the same going from 4K to SUB. So I'd hold on to the SD.
Steve36Efc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 10:41 PM   #44
RolexLuthor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seadweller 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve36Efc View Post
I own and love a couple of Subs and have though about flipping my 114060 for the SD4K but decided there was not enough difference justify the inevitable cost. It would be the same going from 4K to SUB. So I'd hold on to the SD.
I did that exact upgrade flipping my 114060 to the SD4K and it is worth it in some ways but theres just something I miss about the Sub. The SD4K is an immense watch and is not as thick as what people make out, I wear it under shirts all the time.
RolexLuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2017, 01:59 AM   #45
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
You go with what makes you happier then man.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2017, 02:12 AM   #46
dr35mm
"TRF" Member

Watch: BB58
The only reason I would go from a SD to a Sub is the size. Subs are a bit smaller, but if I could rock a SD that's a no brainer. SD is such a great, cool and different watch.
dr35mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2017, 02:29 AM   #47
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I did that exact upgrade flipping my 114060 to the SD4K and it is worth it in some ways but theres just something I miss about the Sub. The SD4K is an immense watch and is not as thick as what people make out, I wear it under shirts all the time.
No bad choices here, IMO. I know I prefer the SD, but I get the appeal of the Sub. Happy Flipping!
Old 19 February 2017, 10:43 AM   #48
KingRichard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Being a one watch man I think its just the typical Rolex 1 year itch but there is just a more prestigious feeling about owning a Submariner in a way. I was enjoying the look of the Hulk but think you can't go wrong with black, how it was meant to be. I think the Seadweller is a well under rated watch, at least going by the apparent sales but there is also something ultra special about wearing it! Maybe a change of job is needed instead so I can afford more of these beautiful pieces!
Yes I would recommend the following:
Keep the SD4k, always wait for Basel and finally save for another piece rather than selling off one to get another, because it seems like you really like your SD4k so it would be a shame to let it go.

Also, nothing wrong with a sub c date, but it is pretty similar to a SD.
KingRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2017, 02:21 PM   #49
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
I love the subs. But I also love the sd4k. One of my favorite rolex.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 February 2017, 02:27 PM   #50
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
Quote:
I think all of your opinions are valid points and appreciate them. I think maybe I should keep hold of the SD4K and start saving for a second piece. The Seadweller is a special watch and I have a feeling this case was a prototype test for the future Submariners and Gmts but without the thickness.
Yeah it's all personal preference. I used to be like the majority on here and like the 5 digit lugs / shape but I couldn't pass on the upgrades (ceramic bezel, glidelock, blue lume etc) so I went for the 6 digit sub. Since owning it and comparing it to my Dads 5 digit I MUCH prefer the newer subs now (I know blasphemy) I really never thought I'd do a 180 like that but man does it look awesome. It really just comes down to what you like the most. I think you are making a good choice hanging on to your SD4k and adding one down the road, as far as them going back to the smaller case on the subs / GMTs , only time will tell (I hope they don't though /duck)
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote