The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 18 February 2017, 11:06 AM   #1
Rwith22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB, 214270
Running 1 min fast

Hey guys so I have had my explorer for a couple months now bought it new from an AD and I have noticed it runs a little over 1 min fast, I have reset the time twice now and it's for sure running fast, I have read the article where it says to lay the watch a certain way to loose time but it doesn't seem to help, any advice? And here's a picture since we all love pictures!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3558.jpg (55.0 KB, 673 views)
Old 18 February 2017, 11:12 AM   #2
keithl
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Per day?
Old 18 February 2017, 11:13 AM   #3
JacksonStone
Banned

One minute fast over what period of time? A day? A month? An hour?

Assuming a day, positional variance won't make that much of a difference. It might shift the rate a second or two (or a little more) one way or the other, but it won't offset a whole minute. When did this start? How was the accuracy when you first bought it?
Old 18 February 2017, 11:15 AM   #4
JacksonStone
Banned

Just reread your post. If you have only reset the watch twice in the past two months, does that mean it's only a minute fast per month? If so, that's about +2s/day, which is right at the edge of Rolex specs. Nothing to worry about.
Old 18 February 2017, 11:16 AM   #5
perpetualman88
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610, 5712/1A
watch is working great stop worrying about nothing
Old 18 February 2017, 11:29 AM   #6
Canook
"TRF" Member

Watch: too many to list
Do you live your life controlled down to the exact second in time? i dont understand when people start panicking over 15-30-60 seconds over a great space of time... if it was gaining a few min a day then id be concerned.... beyond that re-adjust every couple of months and enjoy wearing it in the meantime.
not worth stressing over imo
-16610LV KERMIT
-116600 SD4000....16612 Yachtmaster- 16710 PEPSI
-216570(polar)
-
-Yachtmaster II 116688 126300 Datejust 41 jubilee

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
Old 18 February 2017, 11:31 AM   #7
natosub
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll in..
2 minutes in 2+ months is acceptable. The current Rolex standard is -2/+2 per day, or +/- 1 minute per month max.

Historically resting crown up at night would run the slowest, but in modern movements there's very little positional variance. Might bring it in -0.25-0.50 s/d, but that could bring your minute per month down to +/- 45 seconds.

That said, enjoy your watch. Set it a minute slow and reset every other month. You'll never be more than a minute out
Old 18 February 2017, 11:40 AM   #8
Rwith22
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the quick replies, the last time I reset it it was about 2-3 weeks ago and it's back to running over a minute fast, its not really a big issue I was just wondering if this is normal or if something could be done.
Old 18 February 2017, 12:10 PM   #9
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwith22 View Post
Thanks for the quick replies, the last time I reset it it was about 2-3 weeks ago and it's back to running over a minute fast, its not really a big issue I was just wondering if this is normal or if something could be done.
If you really want to assess how it's running, check it every 24 hours and note how much time it's gained (or lost) since the last check. Use a website like time.gov to make sure your source is consistent. Then you can try resting it in different positions overnight to see how that affects the timekeeping. It's a little hard to figure out what effect positional variance is having if you're only checking the time every few weeks. It's worth keeping in mind that mechanical timepieces almost never run exactly to the second, so they are either going to run fast or slow. It seems most people prefer fast, so at least you're in the preferred camp.
Old 18 February 2017, 12:27 PM   #10
speedmaster73
Banned

Quote:

the rolex specs are +2/-2 PER DAY not permanently

if your watch is running 14 seconds fast after 1 week this is within spec

if your watch is running 42 seconds fast after 1 week its within COSC specs

1 minute fast after a 2 or 3 weeks is perfect
Old 18 February 2017, 12:33 PM   #11
gossbeau
Banned

Watch: 25940ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster73 View Post

Old 18 February 2017, 01:18 PM   #12
Rwith22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
If you really want to assess how it's running, check it every 24 hours and note how much time it's gained (or lost) since the last check. Use a website like time.gov to make sure your source is consistent. Then you can try resting it in different positions overnight to see how that affects the timekeeping. It's a little hard to figure out what effect positional variance is having if you're only checking the time every few weeks. It's worth keeping in mind that mechanical timepieces almost never run exactly to the second, so they are either going to run fast or slow. It seems most people prefer fast, so at least you're in the preferred camp.

Makes sense thanks!
Old 18 February 2017, 01:19 PM   #13
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
Clearly it's running fast in the pic
Old 18 February 2017, 01:31 PM   #14
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner

The last statement is not perfect at all if the watch is new, as it is. I'd personally return it to be regulated properly.

The first statement is very ambiguous. 'Not permanent' does not mean only the first couple of weeks after buying the watch.
Old 18 February 2017, 01:31 PM   #15
ugazag
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
You don't even have to go to time.gov. Rather, use the clock at the top of TRF. It's what all the cool kids use.
Old 18 February 2017, 01:36 PM   #16
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugazag View Post
You don't even have to go to time.gov. Rather, use the clock at the top of TRF. It's what all the cool kids use.
Good point. Never noticed that before.
Old 18 February 2017, 01:45 PM   #17
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
I'd personally return it to be regulated properly.
Before he goes to that trouble, don't you think it would be sensible for OP to check the watch daily to see what the variation is?
Old 18 February 2017, 01:47 PM   #18
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugazag View Post
The TRF clock is tied to the clock in your computer. I don't know about yours, but the clock in my computer is horribly inaccurate. I wouldn't trust it.
Old 18 February 2017, 01:54 PM   #19
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
The TRF clock is tied to the clock in your computer. I don't know about yours, but the clock in my computer is horribly inaccurate. I wouldn't trust it.
But fine if using iPad, iPhone etc.

Agreed. The OP should check over 24 hour period beforehand.
Old 18 February 2017, 02:12 PM   #20
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
But fine if using iPad, iPhone etc.
Good to know. I don't use either for reading here.
Old 18 February 2017, 10:04 PM   #21
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
It seems to be running close to spec. I say "seems" because you don't give a precise span that you measured the deviation over. You are better off averaging the deviation over a longer span than taking many daily measurements (better error management). Try setting the watch against time.is, wearing for 30 days, then measuring the exact deviation at the same time of day you had set it.

If the deviation is 60 seconds or less, you are golden. Otherwise, you can get it regulated, or be happy with what you have.
Old 18 February 2017, 11:45 PM   #22
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Where are Padi and Mon?
Old 18 February 2017, 11:52 PM   #23
regnant
"TRF" Member

My 116506 Daytona runs fast over 116500 LN 002 and Sea Dweller 116600. It's just around 40 seconds. I think changing the position of the crown �� should help as my 116506 Daytona's crown sits and locks almost upright while others sit sideways.
Another possibility is that your watch might be purchased way before new Rolex standards which is +2/-2, yours is only meeting COSC. Anyway, great watch. With COSC or Rolex standards, Rolex is the most accurate watch I have ever worn
Old 19 February 2017, 12:55 AM   #24
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canook View Post
Do you live your life controlled down to the exact second in time? i dont understand when people start panicking over 15-30-60 seconds over a great space of time... if it was gaining a few min a day then id be concerned.... beyond that re-adjust every couple of months and enjoy wearing it in the meantime.
not worth stressing over imo
Common sense!
Old 19 February 2017, 12:58 AM   #25
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Its ok to be a couple mins late
Old 19 February 2017, 03:55 AM   #26
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
It seems to be running close to spec. I say "seems" because you don't give a precise span that you measured the deviation over. You are better off averaging the deviation over a longer span than taking many daily measurements (better error management). Try setting the watch against time.is, wearing for 30 days, then measuring the exact deviation at the same time of day you had set it.
This works too, and probably would be more practical in the long run. My recommendation of daily measurements could lead to OCD-like micromanagement, which is no fun. Also, as you point out, it increases the odds of anomalous or erroneous observations that skew the data. I was just suggesting the daily approach as a way to get a quick look at how the watch is keeping time. If, after a few days, OP sees that his watch is +1 or +2s/day, he can breathe easier, and then transition into weekly or monthly observation. That's what I did.

I do think if he is interested in exploring what effect positional variance would have on the timekeeping, daily observation might prove more useful, or at least provide quicker feedback. Although nothing says he can't rest the watch the same way every night for a week or a month, see how the watch keeps time, and then switch for another week/month, etc., that approach takes patience.
Old 19 February 2017, 04:42 AM   #27
Boostedfreak
"TRF" Member

Watch: G-Shock
I would return it.
Old 29 January 2019, 05:55 AM   #28
Robbie M.
"TRF" Member

Running Fast

If your are truly running a minute fast per month. That is actually great news. It means your watch is well within tolerance of +2/-2 per day, new standards.

My latest is the the new 2018 GMT Master II BLRO, and it runs about 40 seconds fast a month. A mechanical watch is subject to a lot of influences, wearing habits of owner, temp, humidity, non activity off wrist etc.

Enjoy the watch. You start running fast or slow 50-60 per day. Well that is the time to worry. For now, just enjoy. Totally normal.
Old 29 January 2019, 12:21 PM   #29
JacksonStone
Banned

Cue all the new advice to help with a two-year-old problem.
Old 30 January 2019, 02:13 PM   #30
rlrobson08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie M. View Post
If your are truly running a minute fast per month. That is actually great news. It means your watch is well within tolerance of +2/-2 per day, new standards.

My latest is the the new 2018 GMT Master II BLRO, and it runs about 40 seconds fast a month. A mechanical watch is subject to a lot of influences, wearing habits of owner, temp, humidity, non activity off wrist etc.

Enjoy the watch. You start running fast or slow 50-60 per day. Well that is the time to worry. For now, just enjoy. Totally normal.
My Breitling B04 runs under two seconds: 1.897 seconds in thirty days running the chronograph approximately 15 hrs within the said thirty days.
So does my 1978 day/date run under the 2 seconds. I truly believe all good movements will do this. If not, I suggest one taking one's watch in to a respected dealer with someone at the bench and get it calibrated. Should not take over thirty minutes. That is my experience anyway

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Closed Thread