The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 February 2017, 12:31 PM   #1
BristolCavendish
Banned

When a Rolex Only Brings Back Bad Memories

I'm standing in line at Peet's (another one of those chain coffee shops) this morning when some guy standing behind me noticed my Submariner and simply said, 'nice watch'. The line was going slowly and we managed to strike up a brief conversation on watches in general. Turns out the guy owns an original Explorer II which he had purchased back in 1972 but hadn't worn for the past 15 years. When I inquired why, he simply replied that the watch reminded him more of the bad times than the good ones. Without trying to get too personal, I asked what he meant by that and he responded by saying that during the course of owning/wearing this watch, he had undergone two divorces, three major surgeries, a number of low-paying 'nowhere' jobs and a misdemeanor arrest where the county bailiff confiscated the watch prior to him being 'booked'.

So this Explorer II has been sitting in an old cigar box for over a decade now, probably never to be worn again and/or in need of a good servicing. When I asked if it might be for sale, he was open to the possibility but curious why I would be interested in such a watch being that it never brought him any particular enjoyment or happiness. While I've always had a hankering for an original-issue 1655, I began to wonder if the watch was cursed. I'm not a superstitious type by nature but bad mojo is bad mojo and like the scent of a skunk, it can linger on. We never got around to exchanging phone numbers or discussing prices but now I'm beginning to wonder if I should have pursued it further.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 01:01 PM   #2
emersm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Maybe the bad memories were a result of his bad choices. I would have pursued it further, for sure!
emersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 01:04 PM   #3
JacksonStone
Banned

You think that's bad? Several years ago I was walking by my bathroom sink en route to getting in the shower - in the buff, mind you - when a screw in my Oyster bracelet came out and the whole watch fell off. I bent over to find it when my (now ex) wife's cat suddenly took an inappropriate interest in my dangling bean bag by swiping at it. The resulting startle, to say nothing of the pain, caused me to jolt upward and bang my head on the underside of the vanity, which knocked me unconscious. Imagine the scene my wife came upon in response to the noise: a running shower, a broken Rolex, a naked me in a heap on the floor, and a cat nonchalantly licking its paws as if nothing had happened. I couldn't sell that damn watch fast enough.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 01:06 PM   #4
Thatguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PAM
I think a service removes all bad mojo. I would have tried to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 01:32 PM   #5
kingSubTT
"TRF" Member

Watch: SmurfDaytonaBLNR
I went for a job interview, didn't get the job. 2 years later I got call again from the same company. I wore the same suit on purpose. Get what, I got that position and I am still working for the same company for 18 years now.

First house I bought was the one in which the owner committed suicide. I got a deal on that. I still own that house and it has tripled in value.

I turn bad mojos to good ones.
Old 18 February 2017, 01:36 PM   #6
Juantxo
Banned

I would interested in contacting that person. PM me, please. Thank you.
Juantxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 01:39 PM   #7
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
A watch cannot be cursed. People can be cursed, but inanimate objects cannot.

Hunt that guy down. Looking forward to the incoming pics.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 01:58 PM   #8
mactruck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
You think that's bad? Several years ago I was walking by my bathroom sink en route to getting in the shower - in the buff, mind you - when a screw in my Oyster bracelet came out and the whole watch fell off. I bent over to find it when my (now ex) wife's cat suddenly took an inappropriate interest in my dangling bean bag by swiping at it. The resulting startle, to say nothing of the pain, caused me to jolt upward and bang my head on the underside of the vanity, which knocked me unconscious. Imagine the scene my wife came upon in response to the noise: a running shower, a broken Rolex, a naked me in a heap on the floor, and a cat nonchalantly licking its paws as if nothing had happened. I couldn't sell that damn watch fast enough.
Sorry but that was funny.
mactruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 02:03 PM   #9
DRKBC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, BLNR
Quote:
Could have been worse at least the cat was just licking his paws.
DRKBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 02:05 PM   #10
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKBC View Post
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 02:06 PM   #11
SeaDweller50
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M 2 liner
'Dangling bean bag'
SeaDweller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 02:07 PM   #12
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
If a cat was playing 'tetherball' with my scrotum, it'd be gone long before the Rolex.
Old 18 February 2017, 02:08 PM   #13
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
I would buy it, all that bad luck / curse is BS, no such thing exists. Grab that puppy for a good price and turn it into a good "luck" charm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKBC View Post

But ask yourself "WHY was the cat licking his paws..?"
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 02:10 PM   #14
hambone1983
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
sell the watch? I would've given that cat a one way car ride 10 miles in any direction.
hambone1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 02:20 PM   #15
Louis (Toronto)
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster & SubC
Quote:

Louis (Toronto) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 02:27 PM   #16
blue16613
Banned

Quote:

Ah, today's installment of:
"You just can't make this kind of stuff up!!"

Time to pull out another Seinfeld clip Mac!
blue16613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 02:40 PM   #17
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
A watch cannot be cursed. People can be cursed, but inanimate objects cannot. Hunt that guy down. Looking forward to the incoming pics.
Your logic makes sense but what about inanimate objects that some people assign 'good luck' to (i.e. golf putters, baseball bats, pool cues, amulets etc.). In this convoluted (and oftentimes baffling) universe, good/bad luck can't possibly be just a one-way street (or ticket).
Old 18 February 2017, 03:01 PM   #18
Maximus84
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp. II 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by hambone1983 View Post
sell the watch? I would've given that cat a one way car ride 10 miles in any direction.
Maximus84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 03:03 PM   #19
natosub
"TRF" Member

Watch: the tide roll in..
Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
If a cat was playing 'tetherball' with my scrotum, it'd be gone long before the Rolex.
Here, here!

To the OP, don't be ridiculous. You have (had?) the opportunity to by an awesome vintage watch from the original owner? What's there to think about? Some voodoo nonsense? Get real. PM me his contact info!
natosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 03:03 PM   #20
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

All those things happen in his life and he's pinning it on the watch? Uh, OK.
Old 18 February 2017, 03:07 PM   #21
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
If it was a watch I was interested in, I'd have made an offer and given him my number. I'm not in the least bit superstitious.

It would make a damn fine zombie apocalypse watch, providing I had the chance to get it serviced first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juantxo View Post
I would interested in contacting that person. PM me, please. Thank you.
Did you miss the "We never got around to exchanging phone numbers or discussing prices..." bit?

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 03:09 PM   #22
soundserious
"TRF" Member

That watch is cursed. Let it go.
Old 18 February 2017, 03:40 PM   #23
Kevin of Larchmont
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Ingersoll Mickey
After going through all of that the watch sounds like a trophy of survival. He managed to keep it during those hard times. I'd call that powerful mojo.
Kevin of Larchmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 03:56 PM   #24
TheRolexKingofLV
"TRF" Member

Why does he look at it in a negative way? After all those things that happened to him (whether his fault or not) and the old trusty watch has stood by his side thru thick n thin. I'd look at it like a good luck charm!
Old 18 February 2017, 03:56 PM   #25
gossbeau
Banned

Watch: 25940ok
Quote:
It looks to me like a perfect scenario that came out of the latest Final Destination movie.
No seriously, I am glad you are ok. Sometimes it is better to laugh at misadventures rather than trying to figure out how the hell did it happen!!

Everything is planned IMHO and happen for a reason...
gossbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 04:00 PM   #26
gossbeau
Banned

Watch: 25940ok
Back to the OP question, I would be more worried if it was something like a jewelry or gemstone as they are more known to absorb negative energies.

If you want to make sure should you purchase the watch, smudge the hell out of it with white sage. That again is a different topic...
gossbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 05:22 PM   #27
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Bah. I'd probably buy a 1655 right off a dead guy's wrist if the price was right.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 05:27 PM   #28
Maiden
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well at least we know a Rolex can get you some pussy!
Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 05:40 PM   #29
fungo
"TRF" Member

Watch: all kinds
Question is why he kept it unworn for 15 yrs? Why kept it at all if he thinks it is cursed? I would have sold it right then and there.
fungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 February 2017, 06:16 PM   #30
2ltdjorn
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:

This gave me a good chuckle.

I to may has given the cat a ride into the next county.

First GTG El Paso Nov 2016, WISCON 2019.

Would rather be on the river, somewhere.
2ltdjorn is offline   Reply With Quote