The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 March 2017, 06:02 PM   #1
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
Did my first nib modification today

I picked up another Monteverde Invincia Deluxe off eBay. I got another great deal but the pen had a medium nib. The medium is a good nib but I really like their 1.1mm italic. There's no real deals on a new italic nib and I didn't want to blow my margin here so I gave a nib re grind a shot from the medium. I paid about the cost of just a nib for the whole pen new It went well! I worked the nib with 1500grit paper to shape it. Flattening the front, top, and bottom to square it up. I then went back over the nib with 4K grit micromesh and polished with 12k. I ended up with a .7mm line width while still maintaining the tipping material. I had originally planned to grind the tipping completely off to match the standard 1.1mm un tipped nib. After comparing the 1.1mm and medium side by side, they're both the same length. It looks like the factory un tipped italic has a slightly different profile than a tipped medium. Just grinding through the tipping didn't seem to be a good solution after finding this out. The medium would be much shorter than the 1.1mm factory italic to meet the same line width. There's a taper to the gap between the tines so the farther I worked the medium, the wider the gap would be. Sounds like a pain to fix so I settled on a .7mm. I sort of have a soft spot for Monteverde. My rose gold Invincia Deluxe was my first fountain pen. The Invincia line is a little heavy but they're really great pens at a good price. The nib I chose to work on is from the new all black "stealth" Invincia Deluxe. *Just realized I spelled "medium" wrong in my writing sample. Just ignore that. 2 out of 3 is acceptable for govt work
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1276.jpg (49.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1273.jpg (115.0 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1277.JPG (117.3 KB, 41 views)
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote