The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 28 March 2017, 06:16 AM   #1
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Online MBA - Recommendations

So I have completed about half of my MBA in my early 20s from UMUC. Unfortunately I did not finish it. I would like to go back and get an MBA from an online school. I have two questions:

1) What is the best online MBA program?

2) What online MBA program is most likely to transfer some/most/all of my credits from UMUC?

Thanks!
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 06:24 AM   #2
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I'm doing mine at Northeasten University. It's a very good program and I highly recommend it.

And they do accept prior credits. Good luck. If you have questions or I can help in any way, please let me know.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 06:49 AM   #3
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
I did a lot of research on online MBA programs, but that was about 15 years ago. I ended up going with AIU. MBA in Organizational Psychology with a specialization in Healthcare Administration.
More recently I did research for some of my staff and American Intercontinental University was the school that still stood out. They have a really good portal and seemed to take more credits than other schools we looked at. Plus they offer an accelerated program. Prices are fair and faculty are working professionals/peers.
A couple staff recently completed degrees with AIU and were very happy with their experience.
I was happy with my experience as well.

Good luck.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 09:41 AM   #4
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
One of my friends recently completed an online MBA at The University of North Carolina. She is extraordinarily bright and could have gone anywhere. I think it has the best reputation, and for an MBA, reputation can be more valuable than the course work. She's tried to convince me to do it myself as I still have 24 months of the GI bill which would pay for nearly all of it. It's about $75k. It was pretty flexible and you could choose to come to UNC for some project work if you wanted, or not. That was important to me as the VA uses different rules for 100% online and not 100% online course work. (At least they used to)
One thing that's been holding me back it that to really use it, I would almost certainly have to leave my current job and move elsewhere. I'm not convinced that would be a good move for me as I've got a very good thing going here. Of course the flip side is also true in that with my current experience, I could probably leverage an MBA into a good leadership position. Maybe I'll flip a coin. Lol!
Good luck!

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 09:46 AM   #5
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Years ago I got an MA in Business Management from Central Michigan University (go Chippawas) during nights and weekends. Professors would fly in to D.C area to teach. Very educational and it helped with my military career.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 10:31 AM   #6
gulfstream69xr7
"TRF" Member

Watch: TAG Rolex
Temple University Fox online MBA

Drexel University LeBow online MBA.

Both ranked top 15 in the world.
gulfstream69xr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 11:53 AM   #7
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
If you're looking for an MBA with a technology concentration WPI is top 10 in the country and their grads are sought after. Data related, BU has a really good database masters program. Short of specializing in a specific area just pick the best business school you can get into.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 09:31 PM   #8
Malak
"TRF" Member

University of Liverpool

Distance: Open University (Triple Akkredited)
Malak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 09:38 PM   #9
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
UMUC is just a box checking program. You will not receive the rigor other true MBA programs provide. I generally would not advise an online MBA. There is too much missing from it. Have you thought about an Executive MBA?

Where are you in your career and what field do you plan to pursue?
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 10:12 PM   #10
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
UMUC is just a box checking program. You will not receive the rigor other true MBA programs provide. I generally would not advise an online MBA. There is too much missing from it. Have you thought about an Executive MBA?

As I'm going through my online MBA, I think I agree.

I'm 4 classes in, and it's not exactly what I expected. And there is a lot missing. There is very little real interaction and not a lot of dialogue. It's a lot of simply getting assignments done based on the curriculum.

It's a very good program, but so far I think I'd get more out of it on a more traditional school type setting.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 10:51 PM   #11
Relyt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer ii
University of Cincinnati has some AMAZING online masters programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2005 Explorer ii 16570T
Relyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 03:13 AM   #12
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantonebad View Post
If you're looking for an MBA with a technology concentration WPI is top 10 in the country and their grads are sought after. Data related, BU has a really good database masters program. Short of specializing in a specific area just pick the best business school you can get into.
I would like to do a concentration in Strategy, High Tech Entrepreneurship, Marketing, or IT. Will look into your recommendations. Thanks!
Old 29 March 2017, 03:15 AM   #13
breitlings
Banned

Quote:

At this point in my life I need to do an online program as I travel a bit too much, and have a few too many responsibilities to get to a class regularly. I'm launching a new start-up Threat Detect™ which predicts and prevents lone wolf attacks.
Old 29 March 2017, 04:25 AM   #14
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Capella.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 01:24 PM   #15
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by breitlings View Post
At this point in my life I need to do an online program as I travel a bit too much, and have a few too many responsibilities to get to a class regularly. I'm launching a new start-up Threat Detect™ which predicts and prevents lone wolf attacks.
What are you looking to gain from an MBA program?
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 06:34 AM   #16
breitlings
Banned

Quote:
What are you looking to gain from an MBA program?
To answer your questions. I do like business school at least the 18 credits or so I have taken. I'd also want to be able to fulfill a Director, VP or higher level position by an acquirer or employer. I think it could also check off a potential box on a VC's list.

With all that being said, maybe I should ask "what exactly is an executive MBA"?
Old 30 March 2017, 06:24 PM   #17
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Quote:
To answer your questions. I do like business school at least the 18 credits or so I have taken. I'd also want to be able to fulfill a Director, VP or higher level position by an acquirer or employer. I think it could also check off a potential box on a VC's list.

With all that being said, maybe I should ask "what exactly is an executive MBA"?
An executive MBA program is one designed for people working full time that are able to commute to the school on weekends. Usually there are lectures posted online and reading assignments during the week for preparation and then two to three weekends in a month you'll meet for all day classes. Most people in the program will have 10 or more years working experience and are often sent by their company because they've been identified as a future leader. Seems like most people in an executive MBA program are there for the networking as much as the knowledge gained.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 06:47 PM   #18
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:

a lot of business schools view online and executive MBA programs as profit centers. I don't think the two top b-schools (Harvard and Stanford) offer either.

Executive MBA is probably better than online because the former has a networking component in addition to coursework. If your employer is paying, then you should enjoy the free party, but I'd be hesitant to pay my own way
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 09:19 PM   #19
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
a lot of business schools view online and executive MBA programs as profit centers. I don't think the two top b-schools (Harvard and Stanford) offer either.

Executive MBA is probably better than online because the former has a networking component in addition to coursework. If your employer is paying, then you should enjoy the free party, but I'd be hesitant to pay my own way
Well said Steve.

OP, the first step in the MBA process is calculating the ROI on the degree. If this is something you think would be a nice to have, but don't have any clear need to have, you're wasting your money. Online MBA's are very expensive. You should be able to justify it empirically. Otherwise, look into a Masters in something you know benefits your specific profession.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 09:24 PM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Well said Steve.

OP, the first step in the MBA process is calculating the ROI on the degree. If this is something you think would be a nice to have, but don't have any clear need to have, you're wasting your money. Online MBA's are very expensive. You should be able to justify it empirically. Otherwise, look into a Masters in something you know benefits your specific profession.
Agree 100%
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 09:03 AM   #21
breitlings
Banned

My wonderful parents have made me a generous offer to reimburse costs if I maintain a "B" average or better.
Old 31 March 2017, 09:06 AM   #22
Prestige_Swiss
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
I am doing mine with Bellevue University Online. Just maintain that B average
Prestige_Swiss is offline   Reply With Quote