The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 March 2017, 06:23 AM   #1
anandamide
"TRF" Member

Watch: FatLady SD4K BLNR
Sd4k Questions

hey guys

recently acquired a sd4k new from AD...just had some questions about it...stupid n00b questions but please bear with me

1) how far does the crown screw down? Is it normal to have a small gap between the crown and case?

2) when setting time, i have noticed that my crown does not smooth disengage to release all the way out. sometimes i have to be a little more 'forceful' to pull (gently) to get it out to pop out to set the time. On my GMT Master2 (fatlady) after unscrewing the crown, it just pops out all the way, pretty easy...to set date / time

3) Is it possible to overtighten the crown? I could have sworn i heard a not so pleasant 'click' sound like i had overtightened it just now, after setting the time...is this possible? I really dont want to mess this watch up and have to send it for service ...its very special to me, and i would hate to be without it.

4) Can you take this watch into a steam room / sauna? Im asking because of the HEV...stupid question, i know...apologies in advance.
anandamide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 07:14 AM   #2
cwieb
"TRF" Member

No such thing as a dumb question, welcome to the Forums!

1. Screw the crown in as far as 2 fingers can get it without forcing it. Snug is good, do not go more than that. As long as it is snug the waterproofness will be effective.

2. Happens to me sometimes. Some positions of the crown allow me to pull it out more easily than others. If you are having trouble, rotate the crown a few more degrees before pulling it out.

3. It is possible to over- tighten. Follow #1 and you should be ok.

4. 100% ok to wear. Enjoy
cwieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 07:20 AM   #3
anandamide
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwieb View Post
No such thing as a dumb question, welcome to the Forums!

1. Screw the crown in as far as 2 fingers can get it without forcing it. Snug is good, do not go more than that. As long as it is snug the waterproofness will be effective.

2. Happens to me sometimes. Some positions of the crown allow me to pull it out more easily than others. If you are having trouble, rotate the crown a few more degrees before pulling it out.

3. It is possible to over- tighten. Follow #1 and you should be ok.

4. 100% ok to wear. Enjoy
hey thanks man! i appreciate your input

if i happened to overtighten it one time, it doesnt ruin anything right?
Old 28 March 2017, 07:35 AM   #4
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by anandamide View Post

Just don't use pliers, and it will be ok.

Congrats on the SDc, it's an awesome beast!
Old 28 March 2017, 07:42 AM   #5
cwieb
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Cannot say. There is a "Watch Tech" area of the forums where you can ask repair related questions- I am sure someone there may have more of an expertise.
cwieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 09:11 AM   #6
jjdesq
"TRF" Member

Quote:
hey guys

recently acquired a sd4k new from AD...just had some questions about it...stupid n00b questions but please bear with me

1) how far does the crown screw down? Is it normal to have a small gap between the crown and case?

2) when setting time, i have noticed that my crown does not smooth disengage to release all the way out. sometimes i have to be a little more 'forceful' to pull (gently) to get it out to pop out to set the time. On my GMT Master2 (fatlady) after unscrewing the crown, it just pops out all the way, pretty easy...to set date / time

3) Is it possible to overtighten the crown? I could have sworn i heard a not so pleasant 'click' sound like i had overtightened it just now, after setting the time...is this possible? I really dont want to mess this watch up and have to send it for service ...its very special to me, and i would hate to be without it.

4) Can you take this watch into a steam room / sauna? Im asking because of the HEV...stupid question, i know...apologies in advance.
1. The crown will screw down as what I could only describe as "all the way", if you look at it from the bottom there will be about a thin business cards worth of distance between the crown and the case

2. When unscrewing the crown if it sticks and doesn't pop out by itself there might be an issue but sometimes it will pop out sort of half way to the winding position and might need a bit of rocking or turning back and forth for it to come out completely to the winding position which is normal

3. I think you might have a hard time over-tightening the crown but it's probably possible, I usually tighten it down until it stops turning and my fingers slip while using a sort of "just tight enough" grip on the crown to turn and tighten it

4. enjoy the steam room and enjoy your sea-dweller
jjdesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2017, 02:15 PM   #7
anandamide
"TRF" Member

thanks for the nice replies guys, y'all are awesome.
Old 28 March 2017, 02:40 PM   #8
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
Congrats on the SD4K!

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 04:06 PM   #9
DIVER4USN
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660
When you feel the threads "release", spin clockwise without pushing in and it will release to allow crown to be pulled out.
DIVER4USN is offline   Reply With Quote