The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 29 March 2017, 03:11 AM   #1
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
Guy goes undercover to show markups at major jewelers

http://m.worldstarhiphop.com/apple/v...9g16Ab4yG12B3d
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 03:17 AM   #2
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 03:20 AM   #3
Watchflair

Watch: 116500 116518LN
I'm surprised more people wouldn't already know this. They may select top end diamonds quality wise but their diamonds are the same diamonds available on the open market.
The only thing the video is flawed is that he didn't get a GIA or EGL report on the diamond or know all of the specs on the diamond, which I can't imagine are 100% visible on the tag.
Old 29 March 2017, 03:21 AM   #4
Watchflair

Watch: 116500 116518LN
Old 29 March 2017, 03:53 AM   #5
Maxy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Its same as any other business but diamonds are different as they are based on clarity, precision cut and type of diamond etc. There are so many variations thats the reason Jewelry stores use that to do huge markup's. But that doesn't mean its the same diamond everywhere. Even their own store will have different prices for similar looking diamonds. Overall I agree there is a huge markup racket but the guy doesn't do much to prove that. He really don't know the worth and where they are getting their diamonds and what quality/level/clarity.
Maxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 04:31 AM   #6
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
My wife and I were just talking about this the other day. Does anyone think that resale is better on these "name brand" diamonds??? If not blue nile or another database like that seems the way to go. At least to get pricing information. And I believe that is all BN is. It is not a "wholesale" site but simply a data collection site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 04:33 AM   #7
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
i used to do inventory theft losses for insurance companies. the markup is 100-150% most times.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 04:34 AM   #8
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
If for some reason I ever need to replace my wife's ring I'm 100% purchasing it from Costco.
Old 29 March 2017, 04:38 AM   #9
.brian.
"TRF" Member

Watch: in Philadelphia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferdelious View Post
If for some reason I ever need to replace my wife's ring I'm 100% going with cubic zirconia.
Fixed.
.brian. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 04:51 AM   #10
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

Diamonds are the biggest scam in the world. They're the best example of marketing at its finest and people caving in to societal pressure.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 05:05 AM   #11
Ferdelious
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk/SD4K/SeaQ/P39
Quote:
Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
Fixed.
Actually a great call, that could make room for a couple Rolex incomings.
Old 29 March 2017, 05:57 AM   #12
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
I'm surprised more people wouldn't already know this. They may select top end diamonds quality wise but their diamonds are the same diamonds available on the open market.
The only thing the video is flawed is that he didn't get a GIA or EGL report on the diamond or know all of the specs on the diamond, which I can't imagine are 100% visible on the tag.
Couldn't say it any better.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 06:05 AM   #13
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Very interesting Danny.

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 01:00 PM   #14
PaulRP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Cartier
Great post. I wish more people would do their research when purchasing precious stones, especially diamonds.
Old 29 March 2017, 01:43 PM   #15
nick c
Banned

Wow just crazy thanks for sharing Danny
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 01:44 PM   #16
Star Ferry
Banned

I ordered my wife's ring through Amazon and spent under $5K on it. She said she wanted a bigger one, and I told her to go fly a kite

I think the jewelry shops need big markups due to insurance, rent (typically ground floor retail in a nice area), inventory financing, and the cost of decent salespeople. But they can't compete with wholesalers -- with possible exception of Cartier and Tiffany, who have marketing on their side
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 05:13 PM   #17
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
A diamond from one of those stores? No way.

But some of their other stuff may be worth it. My cousin bought his wife a Cartier love bracelet, and I can see the appeal.
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 06:00 PM   #18
VICI
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: Mr_Right_NYC
Guy goes undercover to show markups at major jewelers

Tiffany doesn't spec their diamonds as GIA would so not sure how this guy was able to accurately gauge the color & clarity with the naked eye.

Whoever walks into these top stores and can afford is hopefully smart enough to realize the premium.
VICI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 07:50 PM   #19
Xenophon
2024 Pledge Member

I agree that diamonds are massively marked up. In the UK a diamond that is priced at £2000GBP in the store will have cost the jeweller £800GBP (remove VAT and half the price). The mantra "Spend two months salary on an engagement ring" is pure marketing invented by De Beers.
Old 29 March 2017, 08:31 PM   #20
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
Yep, take your expensive diamond ring back to the jeweler you bought it from and see what they offer to buy it back for 5, 10, 20 years later. You want a nice ring for a reasonable price. Go to the local pawn shops and look around after you have done your research and know what to look for.

To know the future is to be trapped by it
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 11:37 PM   #21
Cryten
"TRF" Member

I'm still amazed people buy diamonds without GIA certificates, it's a sure fire way to get taken to the cleaners. If you can't assess the value of an item yourself, get professional help.

No cert no sale is my mantra.
Cryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 11:55 PM   #22
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
When you go to sell used loose diamonds your lucky to get $30-50 per Kt.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 12:12 AM   #23
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
My wife is a trained diamond appraiser. She's intimately familiar with the diamond trade. We don't own any diamond jewelry, as she thinks there isn't a single diamond sold that isn't grossly overpriced.

With PM jewelry you can assess the making price once you know the weight of the piece and price the amount of metal used in it. Then you can decide if the making price is fair for the quality of the piece and negotiate from there. A diamond has no such value benchmark. It doesn't matter that it's certified, the entire market is artificially inflated by the major diamond houses. Unless you're buying industrial diamonds by the kilo, you're getting ripped off no matter what you buy.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 12:45 AM   #24
shoota70
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570 White
...and in other news, water is wet.
G-Shock GW9400
shoota70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 07:41 AM   #25
mastermixer
"TRF" Member

I just want to put by 2 cents in as someone in the diamond, gemstone, jewelry, and watch business.

There is a mark-up for every product in life. There are Leather jackets for $50.00 and there are designer leather Jackets $10,000.00 and if you cut them both to shreds and just had scraps of leather, those scraps would both be virtually worthless.

Yes it's true that with diamonds, you can't go and buy diamond from the store, then sell it a year later and get all of your money back. But you can at least get some of your money back, which is better than many other luxury purchases. Good luck going to buy a t-shirt, wear it for ten years then go try to sell it, you will most likely get offered pennies on the dollar.

Now comparing Top Jewelry Houses like Cartier and Harry Winston to stores like Costco and Blue nile.

HW and Cartier are not really in the business of selling unbranded loose diamonds to their retail customers. They are in the business of selling Jewelry. These stores have made a reputation for themselves as selling the best of the best.

But if you want to compare just the loose diamonds that HW and Cartier use, vs Blue Nile, here's your answer. HW and Cartier have a certain bench mark quality they use and they will only use diamonds that fit their standards, and their standards are on the higher end of the spectrum. So yes you can go get the same high quality diamond elsewhere, but with Cartier, you at least know you wont be getting a poor quality product.

With blue nile, it is 100% buyer beware. You search their database, select YOUR qualifications for the diamond, sort by the lowest price, and buy what you think is a good deal.

IMO this is the worst way to buy a diamond. A diamond is not like an Iphone 7, where every single one comes off the factory line to specs. These are grown in nature over millions of years, and there is just no possible way to quantify every single aspect of the diamond on a piece of paper (Cert).

So yes GIA is the most respected LAB, but let me tell you, if you line up 100 1.00ct EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, Round H VS1 diamonds in real life (like you do digitally on blue nile) there will be 20 stones that stand out as the best 20% and there will be 20 that stand out as the ugliest 20%. Even though they all have the same specs on the cert.

So this brings me to Blue Nile, where in my experience, the consumer is buying the bottom of the barrel diamonds that these diamond dealers are dumping on-line, knowing that the consumer doesn't have anything to compare it to.

Just like you can go to butcher shop and buy certified Prime steak for $30.00, or you can go to a high end steak house and get the same steak for $60.00 at Mastro's or Ruth's Chris. If you know and trust the brand Mastro's your happy to pay extra to go there and enjoy the experience.
Old 30 March 2017, 08:29 AM   #26
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICI View Post
Tiffany doesn't spec their diamonds as GIA would so not sure how this guy was able to accurately gauge the color & clarity with the naked eye.

Whoever walks into these top stores and can afford is hopefully smart enough to realize the premium.

Tiffanys had/has their own certificate and the specs are also written on the tag. Or at least they were when I was shopping for an engagement ring in 2003
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 08:29 AM   #27
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermixer View Post
I just want to put by 2 cents in as someone in the diamond, gemstone, jewelry, and watch business.

There is a mark-up for every product in life. There are Leather jackets for $50.00 and there are designer leather Jackets $10,000.00 and if you cut them both to shreds and just had scraps of leather, those scraps would both be virtually worthless.

Yes it's true that with diamonds, you can't go and buy diamond from the store, then sell it a year later and get all of your money back. But you can at least get some of your money back, which is better than many other luxury purchases. Good luck going to buy a t-shirt, wear it for ten years then go try to sell it, you will most likely get offered pennies on the dollar.

Now comparing Top Jewelry Houses like Cartier and Harry Winston to stores like Costco and Blue nile.

HW and Cartier are not really in the business of selling unbranded loose diamonds to their retail customers. They are in the business of selling Jewelry. These stores have made a reputation for themselves as selling the best of the best.

But if you want to compare just the loose diamonds that HW and Cartier use, vs Blue Nile, here's your answer. HW and Cartier have a certain bench mark quality they use and they will only use diamonds that fit their standards, and their standards are on the higher end of the spectrum. So yes you can go get the same high quality diamond elsewhere, but with Cartier, you at least know you wont be getting a poor quality product.

With blue nile, it is 100% buyer beware. You search their database, select YOUR qualifications for the diamond, sort by the lowest price, and buy what you think is a good deal.

IMO this is the worst way to buy a diamond. A diamond is not like an Iphone 7, where every single one comes off the factory line to specs. These are grown in nature over millions of years, and there is just no possible way to quantify every single aspect of the diamond on a piece of paper (Cert).

So yes GIA is the most respected LAB, but let me tell you, if you line up 100 1.00ct EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT, Round H VS1 diamonds in real life (like you do digitally on blue nile) there will be 20 stones that stand out as the best 20% and there will be 20 that stand out as the ugliest 20%. Even though they all have the same specs on the cert.

So this brings me to Blue Nile, where in my experience, the consumer is buying the bottom of the barrel diamonds that these diamond dealers are dumping on-line, knowing that the consumer doesn't have anything to compare it to.

Just like you can go to butcher shop and buy certified Prime steak for $30.00, or you can go to a high end steak house and get the same steak for $60.00 at Mastro's or Ruth's Chris. If you know and trust the brand Mastro's your happy to pay extra to go there and enjoy the experience.
Well said sir.

Old 30 March 2017, 08:30 AM   #28
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
My wife is a trained diamond appraiser. She's intimately familiar with the diamond trade. We don't own any diamond jewelry, as she thinks there isn't a single diamond sold that isn't grossly overpriced.

With PM jewelry you can assess the making price once you know the weight of the piece and price the amount of metal used in it. Then you can decide if the making price is fair for the quality of the piece and negotiate from there. A diamond has no such value benchmark. It doesn't matter that it's certified, the entire market is artificially inflated by the major diamond houses. Unless you're buying industrial diamonds by the kilo, you're getting ripped off no matter what you buy.
Hence the reason I am happier to sell or trade off any diamonds I get rather than the gold.

Old 30 March 2017, 08:33 AM   #29
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by landroverking View Post
When you go to sell used loose diamonds your lucky to get $30-50 per Kt.

$30-50 per Ct? Are you saying a 4 ct diamond will fetch $200? I'm gonna start buying diamonds
rr-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 08:36 AM   #30
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
$30-50 per Ct? Are you saying a 4 ct diamond will fetch $200? I'm gonna start buying diamonds
30-50 is for loose small and scrap diamonds. 1ct + stones and you will get more than that per ct even at most pawn shops. I have given over 500 for a nice clean well cut 1 ct stone, it's not often but it happens.