The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2017, 04:57 AM   #1
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Red Script on 126600 - b.s. or possibility?

Was just told from the same person who told me in December that the 116600 would be discontinued that the red script on the Sea Dweller 126600 will be a one year and done accent as a true shout out to the original reference.

I know, "your brother's sister's parrot's grandmother's chinchilla ..." I get it.

And I get it ... "buy what you like not because you think it will be an investment ..."

It's not that type of party. I heard it. Not sure I believe it. But the guy who told me at least has some bona fides and a small (sample size) track record for reliability (two and counting ...).

I told him that it would be silly for Rolex to plan the direction for this reference having not seen how it will sell in the market and he said "just don't say I didn't tell you."

Anyone else heard this?
Dusko.Popov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 05:05 AM   #2
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
You never know............maybe Rolex will join in with all the red Seadweller historical drama and change the new red one back to white after a while to perpetuate the legend....time will tell!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 05:32 AM   #3
Johnv
"TRF" Member

Maybe the SD4K is coming back next year...
Johnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 06:00 AM   #4
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Highly doubt it, the red is a huge USP and higher sales is what they've been craving, and if they were to have it for only 1 year then that would have to be publicly stated to give that urgency and D500 hype factor that would really drive sales but so far no announcement.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 04:34 PM   #5
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Anniversary editions tend to stick around for more than a year - I'm thinking of the Kermit 16610LV, Green dial YG GMT 116718LN, Platona 116506 and Green crystal Milgauss 116400GV.

So I'd be surprised if the 126600 was only in production for a year.

Rolex don't really do limited editions.

Heck, the D-Blue DSSD was a surprise out-of-cycle release commemorating James Cameron's Mariana Trench expedition and that's been in production since late 2014, despite rumours that it will be discontinued.
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 04:42 PM   #6
Alpino
"TRF" Member

I have been told that SD will have its size increased 3mm each year.

Here's the scoop, the Basel world 2050 SeaDweller :

Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 04:45 PM   #7
phillycheez
"TRF" Member

So your source is saying it will be discontinued in a year when the waiting list right now is beyond a year considering ADs are telling people they might receive 1 or 2 this year.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
phillycheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 04:58 PM   #8
Smarties
"TRF" Member

Previous 50th ann. ed. watches, 16610LV had been produced for 6-7 years, and ice blue Daytona is still in production after 3 years.

Do you have any evidence that indicates Rolex will stop making new SD with a red line of text in one year?

There were speculation of discontinuation of D-Blue every year over the past 2 years that had never materialized. If Rolex is going to cease producing any of their watches, I think they'll do it first with D-Blue and ice blue Daytona. Long way to go before they'll consider stop making red line SD that has not even hit the market.

Beware, there're always people in the market profit from hype like this......

Just don't say I didn't tell you.
Smarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 05:18 PM   #9
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpino View Post

But, cool display!
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 06:10 PM   #10
Ryuden
"TRF" Member

Icon6

Quote:

Is that you ?

Ryuden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 07:25 PM   #11
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
I've mentioned elsewhere that the red writing may change to white after a while (similar to the old 1680 Sub), but other than that I doubt there will be any change for a long time.
Old 30 March 2017, 07:35 PM   #12
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
right, so we have a potential collector's sought after edition here...
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 07:39 PM   #13
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
right, so we have a potential collector's sought after edition here...
Personally, I would prefer to get one sooner rather then later, just in case the red writing changes to white. But more because I like the red rather than for any investment/speculation reasons. Of course the writing may stay red for the entire life of the model!
Old 30 March 2017, 07:45 PM   #14
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:

Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 09:13 PM   #15
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
OK. Is it possible, sure. Is it probable, no. Look at how Rolex has handled other Anniversary pieces and find the answer. If you get rid of the red and go with white lettering I believe you will hurt sales. I think it will hang around for a number of years.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 09:17 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Hard to say, but either way I think they've tapped into a slightly different buyer demographic due to the increased case size.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 09:42 PM   #17
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
I doubt it and there's no way your source would know at this point.
travisb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 10:03 PM   #18
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarties View Post
Previous 50th ann. ed. watches, 16610LV had been produced for 6-7 years, and ice blue Daytona is still in production after 3 years.

Do you have any evidence that indicates Rolex will stop making new SD with a red line of text in one year?

There were speculation of discontinuation of D-Blue every year over the past 2 years that had never materialized. If Rolex is going to cease producing any of their watches, I think they'll do it first with D-Blue and ice blue Daytona. Long way to go before they'll consider stop making red line SD that has not even hit the market.

Beware, there're always people in the market profit from hype like this......

Just don't say I didn't tell you.
Did you read my post? Why would I need evidence when I doubt the information myself? Did you ascribe a position to me and you're arguing against that? Because I'm not positing anything. Nor did I ever say I believed what he told me.

But don't let that get in the way of your otherwise well proportioned straw man.

I'm just passing along information to be believed or disbelieved, friend. And asking if anyone heard the same.

No harm, no foul.
Old 30 March 2017, 10:04 PM   #19
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuden View Post
Is that you ?

No
Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 10:12 PM   #20
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
I doubt it and there's no way your source would know at this point.
I actually agree with you. Just wanted to know if anyone hadn't heard similarly to perhaps lend some veracity to what he's saying. And he isn't a "source." He is a guy who owns a jewelry store and has for fifty years.

He was very right about the discontinuation of the Sea Dweller.

In December.

You can go back and read my posts from the thread where some member here said that his source was saying there would be a Black/red gmt for sure and the 116600 would be discontinued.

I said in that thread in early-mid December that the owner of my authorized dealer had told me the exact same thing about the 116600 but nothing about the Black/red gmt.

So I'm on record. And he has a good, albeit small, track record. Doesn't mean I believe him about the script on the Sea Dweller because there are too many variables between now and then.

I believe that he heard it though.

But I don't think it will happen.
Old 30 March 2017, 10:20 PM   #21
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillycheez View Post
So your source is saying it will be discontinued in a year when the waiting list right now is beyond a year considering ADs are telling people they might receive 1 or 2 this year.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
He is not a source but he is a jewelry store owner and a reputable business man and yes that's what he told me.

He said that the red lettering will stay for one year and then be replaced. I don't know that I believe it because it doesn't seem like a Rolex "thing." But I believe that he believes it and he is a good guy.

1. He prognosticated the discontinuation of the 116600.

2. When everyone was saying fall/winter on the Daytona ceramics, he told me he would have me one "before the weather hits 80."

I had my DaytonaC in May, 2016. Again, that's on record. Go back and look at the Daytona Ceramic owner's thread like page 10.

Again, to be believe or disbelieved. But his information, up to this point, had been reliable as a top.
Old 30 March 2017, 10:20 PM   #22
Phudu
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600,BLNR
If RUMORS is true. The price for this piece will be tremendously high on the grey market if it is a one year production run. Hold on to it, if you're one of the lucky ones to get it on the first shipment.
Phudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 10:27 PM   #23
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvSubs View Post
Anniversary editions tend to stick around for more than a year - I'm thinking of the Kermit 16610LV, Green dial YG GMT 116718LN, Platona 116506 and Green crystal Milgauss 116400GV.

So I'd be surprised if the 126600 was only in production for a year.

Rolex don't really do limited editions.

Heck, the D-Blue DSSD was a surprise out-of-cycle release commemorating James Cameron's Mariana Trench expedition and that's been in production since late 2014, despite rumours that it will be discontinued.
This is what makes me skeptical. That Rolex' other anniversary models have a multi-year run. And it's tough for me to think that Rolex will plan the direction of the Sea Dweller before one has even been offered for sale.

He didn't say "discontinuation" though. Just a change in the color of the script. I can't imagine that that would change the reference number if it did happen.
Old 30 March 2017, 10:31 PM   #24
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phudu View Post
If RUMORS is true. The price for this piece will be tremendously high on the grey market if it is a one year production run. Hold on to it, if you're one of the lucky ones to get it on the first shipment.
And they are just that, "rumors."

They're rumors. Period. Because they can't be verified.

I don't know where he gets his information. I just know he's been solid for me. And I trust that what he heard, he heard from a place that he trusts the integrity of that information.

Doesn't mean things can't change. Doesn't mean where he heard it from can't be wrong or mistaken.

But he heard it. And that I trust.

So we wait.
Old 25 April 2017, 01:33 AM   #25
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Hope not...particularly since I am not committed to one just yet. Silly as it seems, the red is part of the attraction for me...have to see it in the metal to know how the size difference works for me.

Though another thread there was a comment it's almost as tall as the Deep Sea, which would probably make it a no go for me.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 01:45 AM   #26
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusko.Popov View Post
I actually agree with you. Just wanted to know if anyone hadn't heard similarly to perhaps lend some veracity to what he's saying. And he isn't a "source." He is a guy who owns a jewelry store and has for fifty years.

He was very right about the discontinuation of the Sea Dweller.

In December.

You can go back and read my posts from the thread where some member here said that his source was saying there would be a Black/red gmt for sure and the 116600 would be discontinued.

I said in that thread in early-mid December that the owner of my authorized dealer had told me the exact same thing about the 116600 but nothing about the Black/red gmt.

So I'm on record. And he has a good, albeit small, track record. Doesn't mean I believe him about the script on the Sea Dweller because there are too many variables between now and then.

I believe that he heard it though.

But I don't think it will happen.

Considering how long he's been in the business as an owner, I'm sure he has some sources here and there. And what those sources tell him is probably mostly true at the time. What someone is his position may miss out on are the follow up details or changes in plans that aren't shared. I'm sure that Rolex at one point threw the idea out there of a 1 year red line run internally, but more likely than not that was just one scenario they played out in their internal scenario analysis. Someone in the business 50 years has probably purchased a LOT of watches over the years and has developed some industry relationships that share scraps of info if possible in a goodwill effort to a loyal AD owner. There is no reason to believe that a 50 year owner would be or need to be in the rumor game to make sales. Rolex though, they love the rumors and sales hype so I wouldn't be shocked if sharing some somewhat unclear rumors is part of their marketing mystique practice
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 02:30 AM   #27
Dyim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
And they are just that, "rumors."

They're rumors. Period. Because they can't be verified.

I don't know where he gets his information. I just know he's been solid for me. And I trust that what he heard, he heard from a place that he trusts the integrity of that information.

Doesn't mean things can't change. Doesn't mean where he heard it from can't be wrong or mistaken.

But he heard it. And that I trust.

So we wait.
Your source has given you correct info in the past.

Has he ever passed along info that is incorrect?
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 03:31 AM   #28
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Considering how long he's been in the business as an owner, I'm sure he has some sources here and there. And what those sources tell him is probably mostly true at the time. What someone is his position may miss out on are the follow up details or changes in plans that aren't shared. I'm sure that Rolex at one point threw the idea out there of a 1 year red line run internally, but more likely than not that was just one scenario they played out in their internal scenario analysis. Someone in the business 50 years has probably purchased a LOT of watches over the years and has developed some industry relationships that share scraps of info if possible in a goodwill effort to a loyal AD owner. There is no reason to believe that a 50 year owner would be or need to be in the rumor game to make sales. Rolex though, they love the rumors and sales hype so I wouldn't be shocked if sharing some somewhat unclear rumors is part of their marketing mystique practice
Good post. And frankly this makes a lot of sense. Ideas are floated around close enough to the ad level that they hear things that may or may not become part of the final strategic plan.
Old 25 April 2017, 03:35 AM   #29
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Good post. And frankly this makes a lot of sense. Ideas are floated around close enough to the ad level that they hear things that may or may not become part of the final strategic plan.
If they can get this rumour out and encourage more urgency in buying, and yet in reality sell it for longer than a year then it's a win win for them.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2017, 04:03 AM   #30
Dusko.Popov
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyim View Post
Your source has given you correct info in the past.

Has he ever passed along info that is incorrect?
Nope. There were only two things that he mentioned to me - getting the Daytona before summer when everyone was saying fall/winter, and the discontinuation of the 116600. Small sample size, I know; but he has been reliable for me up to this point.