The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2017, 08:25 AM   #1
mmbiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Difference between DJII and DJ41?

I can't get my mind off a Dark Rhodium dial 41mm datejust with diamond index in SS, WG bezel and Oyster link.

The movement are different but what about the appearance? I can't see to find a side by side picture showing the difference between DJII vs DJ41...

Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mmbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 08:45 AM   #2
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Datejust II bashing in 4... 3... 2.....

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 08:49 AM   #3
AJM914
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Love the DJII
Old 29 March 2017, 08:54 AM   #4
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Case size is different, smaller on the 41. Also dj 41 has a jubilee if that is your bag. Otherwise the same.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 08:54 AM   #5
vladamir15
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, Breguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm914 View Post
love the djii
x2

Audemars, Vacheron, Breguet, Jaquet Droz, JLC, Rolex, Omega, Cartier
vladamir15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 08:56 AM   #6
mmbiker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Case size is different, smaller on the 41. Also dj 41 has a jubilee if that is your bag. Otherwise the same.

You mean the thickness is different? Diameter is the same at 41mm

Old 29 March 2017, 09:04 AM   #7
lhawli
"TRF" Member

Diameter is different even though they are both stated at 41mm. They differ by .XXmm when measured to scale.

The case is slimmer in the DJ41. Now comes in SS and has Jubilee option.

The movement is the new 3235.

The Baton / stick markers are slimmer and refined.

The bezel is thinner, thus slightly larger dial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rolex GMT Master II [116710BLNR]
Rolex Cosmograph Daytona [116500LN]
lhawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 09:38 AM   #8
mmbiker
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the info.

I am not too picky. Perhaps if I can get a good deal on DJII, ill pull the trigger :)

But on a second thought, 36mm might work well for me too as I have smaller wrist but doesn't have the dark chocolate dial

Old 29 March 2017, 10:02 AM   #9
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
The DJ41 has the new movement inside. 3235
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 10:14 AM   #10
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
The DJ 41 is slightly downsized and refined in all aspects giving it a slimmer feel that sits closer to the wrist. Movement is latest with longer power reserve. You really need to go to an AD and try them on and compare to feel/see the refinements. Pictures will not tell you enough. Good Luck. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 12:34 PM   #11
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

that Rhodium diamond dial is such a stunner!!

1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 12:37 PM   #12
csfischer20
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I thought the bezels were proportioned slightly different, but I love them both.
csfischer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 12:40 PM   #13
mmbiker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995akcoop View Post
that Rhodium diamond dial is such a stunner!!

That's my thought too! Not sure why, but the diamond index really got my interest and the all SS casing/bend gave it a low key look that I want. I am not ready for YG yet...
Old 29 March 2017, 12:43 PM   #14
1995akcoop
"TRF" Member

yg is amazing! The rhodium dial is just gorgeous and I actually like the thicker bezel on that Dj2 than the newer ones. Go for it while they're still available at ADs

1995akcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 02:10 PM   #15
mmbiker
"TRF" Member

What is the general consensus wearing tshirt/jeans with a DJII with WG Bezel, Dark Rhodium dial with diamond index?

Would tshirt/jeans be too causal for this watch? Does it match? or too flashy for tshirt/jeans...
Old 29 March 2017, 02:16 PM   #16
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
I personally can't say enough good things about the DJ II.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 02:18 PM   #17
Louis (Toronto)
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster & SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbiker View Post
What is the general consensus wearing tshirt/jeans with a DJII with WG Bezel, Dark Rhodium dial with diamond index?

Would tshirt/jeans be too causal for this watch? Does it match? or too flashy for tshirt/jeans...

I love the dark rhodium colour on the DJ. It looks like there is a baton version of the rhodium dial on the configurator. Right now it is showing it in combo with smooth bezel and jubilee bracelet but others have commented that the different dials can probably be configured with smooth or fluted, oyster or jubilee once released.

The dark rhodium batons on oyster bracelet would be a stunning combo, fluted or smooth. I'd have to see the Dark Rhodium with diamond markers in person to have an opinion. Certainly more formal than the batons and you'd need to have the personality to pull off diamonds on a mens watch. Might be a tad too much for a T shirt/jeans look but depends on the wearer really.
Louis (Toronto) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 02:20 PM   #18
Louis (Toronto)
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster & SubC
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockjock1975 View Post
I personally can't say enough good things about the DJ II.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stunning! Simplicity and class!
Louis (Toronto) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 04:20 PM   #19
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
Quote:

I wear my fluted silver stick dial DJ2 with jeans and T shirt regularly, and would do the same if I had the diamond dial. Love mine!!
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 05:21 PM   #20
samsam
"TRF" Member

DJII is one of my favorite models in the line up. I even like the previous rhodium dial more than the newer one. I feel that the lighter shade rhodium dial makes it more versatile because I've always thought the color black doesn't go well with brown. The new rhodium looks black to me.
samsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2017, 11:27 PM   #21
mmbiker
"TRF" Member

These picture look really nice!!

I been wondering why so few get the diamond index for their DJ except for the ladies model?
Old 29 March 2017, 11:33 PM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:

You will be shot on sight. It's fine, it's really more of a sports watch so no worries, I even wore my DD2 with jeans all the time.

AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 01:33 AM   #23
GMT Aviator
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Datejust II bashing in 4... 3... 2.....

Haha, this seems so true here.

For the uninitiated, the DJ2 was the first Datejust since 1945 to break with the traditional looks of the DJ36, the Rolex mainstay for all those years.

It has a larger, bolder and overall more sporty, youthful appearance than the DJ36's that everyone identifies as probably the most recognisable and defining Rolex watch.

The DJ2 was never offered with a Jubilee bracelet option, and you won't ever find one to fit from another model either, so oyster bracelet it is, and thats final.

Because the DJ2 broke with the traditional look of the DJ36 which inspired it, some have described it as 'bloated', a 'mess' and even a 'monstrosity' of a watch. They will say the proportions are all off, which they are not. It was a new Datejust for a new age, a movement into the 21st century. It was a totally new design of Datejust, a break from tradition, modern and youthful in appearance.

Personally I always felt they looked much improved for the modern age moving forwards. A break from the typical look of grand dads watch, and not a minute too soon, whilst remaining faithful to the Datejust Heritage.

Now don't take the 'grand dads' watch phraseology of the DJ36 to be derogatory, far from it, they are beautiful classic pieces which I admire very much, but I think its fair to say the DJ was in need of a re-fresh and it got it in the form of the DJ2. This was no bad thing.

Now fast forward from 2009 when the DJ2 was launched, and here we are in 2017 and Rolex have remodelled the Datejust again and now called it the DJ41. A beautiful watch no doubt with a new movement to boot, but without a scale for comparison, such as a side by side or a wrist shot to look at, we are right back at the classic Datejust 36 territory look. The traditionalists have won out on this one.

That's not a bad thing, but it leaves the DJ2 as a short run by comparison the length of time Rolex have been producing Datejusts.

Because of this, I'd like to think DJ2's will eventually become quite sort after. Being biased as I have just acquired one, the baton dial DJ2's, to my eye, are the best looking Datejusts ever made and it's fair to say they will be sadly missed by many.

To the casual observer, the difference between a DJ2 and the new Dj41 will go un-noticed.

If you want a 41mm classic looking Datejust, buy the DJ41, but if you want a dial that 'pops' just that little bit more and has a little more more wrist presence, buy the a DJ2 before they are gone for good.

Neither are a bad choice, but certainly don't listen to the derogatory comments of many about the 2, they're simply a matter of personal opinion and detract from what is otherwise an incredible watch, now sadly written into the history books.

Datejust 2 with blue dial and white gold fluted bezel pictured above a new DJ41 equivalent replacement. Pics from internet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8a40db7f1da947530881012d8586e3f4.jpg (101.0 KB, 653 views)
File Type: jpg Datejust_41_126334_PK13.jpg (79.6 KB, 652 views)
GMT Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 02:54 AM   #24
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
Well, this theme is definitely here to stay, so why not to add my two cents?

I didn't liked DJ II upon its release, I considered it too big for a dressier option than Sub or GMT. Plus, WG bezel looked somewhat out of proportion to me and, though I didn't hated the design, I dismissed it as a watch that simple isn't for me.

BIG mistake!

I had some photo shooting with DJ II, SS with WG bezel and diamond hour markers, ref. 116334 and boy, was I impressed!
First, it is built like a tank, second - it is actually proportioned pretty well!
Bezel is beefier than the one seen on 36mm DJ and DD, but it works very good considering the overall size of the case.
All in all - DJ II is one heck of a watch and in my eyes - there is really NOTHING that bothers me about that model.

That being said, I consider new DJ 41mm an upgrade from pure design standpoint. It is slightly smaller, more elegant,with upgraded movement (not that there was anything wrong with proven 3135) and there is Jubilee bracelet option as well...

IMHO, one cannot go wrong by choosing any of the mentioned references. Rolex did a great job with both large Datejusts!

If
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 03:36 AM   #25
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT Aviator View Post

For the uninitiated, the DJ2 was the first Datejust since 1945 to break with the traditional looks of the DJ36, the Rolex mainstay for all those years.

It has a larger, bolder and overall more sporty, youthful appearance than the DJ36's that everyone identifies as probably the most recognisable and defining Rolex watch.

The DJ2 was never offered with a Jubilee bracelet option, and you won't ever find one to fit from another model either, so oyster bracelet it is, and thats final.

Because the DJ2 broke with the traditional look of the DJ36 which inspired it, some have described it as 'bloated', a 'mess' and even a 'monstrosity' of a watch. They will say the proportions are all off, which they are not. It was a new Datejust for a new age, a movement into the 21st century. It was a totally new design of Datejust, a break from tradition, modern and youthful in appearance.

Personally I always felt they looked much improved for the modern age moving forwards. A break from the typical look of grand dads watch, and not a minute too soon, whilst remaining faithful to the Datejust Heritage.

Now don't take the 'grand dads' watch phraseology of the DJ36 to be derogatory, far from it, they are beautiful classic pieces which I admire very much, but I think its fair to say the DJ was in need of a re-fresh and it got it in the form of the DJ2. This was no bad thing.

Now fast forward from 2009 when the DJ2 was launched, and here we are in 2017 and Rolex have remodelled the Datejust again and now called it the DJ41. A beautiful watch no doubt with a new movement to boot, but without a scale for comparison, such as a side by side or a wrist shot to look at, we are right back at the classic Datejust 36 territory look. The traditionalists have won out on this one.

That's not a bad thing, but it leaves the DJ2 as a short run by comparison the length of time Rolex have been producing Datejusts.

Because of this, I'd like to think DJ2's will eventually become quite sort after. Being biased as I have just acquired one, the baton dial DJ2's, to my eye, are the best looking Datejusts ever made and it's fair to say they will be sadly missed by many.

To the casual observer, the difference between a DJ2 and the new Dj41 will go un-noticed.

If you want a 41mm classic looking Datejust, buy the DJ41, but if you want a dial that 'pops' just that little bit more and has a little more more wrist presence, buy the a DJ2 before they are gone for good.

Neither are a bad choice, but certainly don't listen to the derogatory comments of many about the 2, they're simply a matter of personal opinion and detract from what is otherwise an incredible watch, now sadly written into the history books.

Datejust 2 with blue dial and white gold fluted bezel pictured above a new DJ41 equivalent replacement. Pics from internet.
There you have it
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2017, 03:45 AM   #26
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

If you asked me a year ago I would've thought it was the same watch. Only after getting into rolexes do I see the subtle differences. Personally I'm not a fan of the dj2's proportions and the thick fluted bezel but if you wanted a bigger dj then it was the way to go.
Old 30 March 2017, 03:55 AM   #27
dgobin208
"TRF" Member

They look and feel much different in person. I'd say hi to an AD and see them up close. Obviously the steel 41 won't be there but you can compare against a two tone to understand the difference in proportions and so forth. I like them both but feel the djii to be a little sportier.
dgobin208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 05:07 PM   #28
Shamorai
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16523, 116610LV
Icon14

Quote:

Great post!!! Very well said.
Shamorai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2017, 09:32 PM   #29
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:

There's nothing I can add here other than to say I agree, and great post! Well done sir

samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2017, 03:14 AM   #30
jets
"TRF" Member

I still want this but never got around to it. Looks sick.

Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote