The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 15 June 2012, 01:15 AM   #1
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
OBSERVATIONS: Omega PO8500 vs 116610 Sub C

I recently acquired two PO8500s and also own a Sub C and DSSD. When comparing the PO8500 Ceramic head-to-head against the 116610LV Submariner I have observed the following with regard to the overall quality, performance and value...

CASE AND CASE FINISH = TIE
The case finishing on both watches is excellent. The Omega does shine in two distinct areas. First, the sides of the case are brushed (which I love). When handling my watches, it is always the sides of the case that pick up the most fingerprints and hairline scratches. By horizontally brushing these surfaces, the Omega PO feels like a serious diving tool. Second, I really like the huge 45 degree chamfers on the case lugs, which give the watch great proportions and are also less likely to be dinged or dented if the watch is subjected to serious use/abuse. I do, however, prefer the darker gray appearance of the 904L case/bracelet as well as the pronounced crown guards of the Submariner case. The Submariner case is also quite a bit thinner, with a lower center of gravity, so it tends to wear more comfortably.

MOVEMENT = OMEGA
The Rolex 3135 movement is a well-proven and time-tested workhorse; the 8500 is the new kid on the block using a co-axial escapement and a silicon hairspring. There is a lot to like about both movements, but I really admire Omega for pushing the envelope here and integrating new technology in their in-house 8500. Whether the 8500 will stand the test of time still remains to be seen, but it is off to a great start.

BRACELET/ENDLINKS/CLASP = ROLEX
The Omega PO8500s greatest shortcoming is the lack of micro-adjustability in the clasp. The Rolex Glidelock system is an absolute work of art and the ability to always attain the perfect fit has spoiled me for most other watches.

I am not saying that Omega needs a system as complex as Glidelock, but the PO does not even offer technology as simple as the EasyLink system or even clasp micro-adjustments (which are found on my Speedmaster Pro and were found on even the earliest Submariners). The only way to customize the fit is the removal/insertion of an included half-link. When combined with the increased case thickness and slightly more top-heavy nature of the PO8500, it makes this omission even more obvious.

In addition, the fit of the end-links are not as tight on the PO. My Sub C has a very tight fit with very small tolerances. So tight, in fact, that it feels almost like one smoothly integrated whole.

The clasp design and end-link fitment gives Rolex a distinct and compelling advantage, not only in the overall fit and finish of the watch, but also in real world comfort.

BEZEL = TIE
I own an orange PO8500 with the aluminum insert and a black PO8500 with the ceramic insert. Much has already been said about the debate between Ceramic and Aluminum. One is more prone to shatter, whereas the other is prone to scratch and fade. I find the PO8500 ceramic to be well finished and matte gray in appearance. I slightly prefer the open engravings on the surface of the Rolex, but I find the filled numbers and matte finish on the Omega to give the watch a very cool tool-like appearance. There is no winner here...simply personal preference.

CONCLUSIONS
These are both fantastic watches with different strengths. The Omega Planet Ocean 8500 is a watch that I am both proud to own and look forward to enjoying for a long time.

When you handle both watches, there are certain intangibles that cannot be distinctly quantified...the feel of the bezel ratchet, the fit and finish of the end-links, the snap of the clasp, the reflectivity of the surfaces, the legibility and quality of the dial, etc. When I examine these watches in there totality, I would say that the 116610LV still "feels" like a more expensive watch (as it should due to the fact that it costs 50% more).

IMO, there is absolutely no shame in coming in a very close second to a watch as nearly-perfect as the Submariner. When you consider the price, the Omega is an absolute bargain for all that it has to offer. You simply cannot go wrong with either watch and my recommendation (as always) is to buy both.

Old 15 June 2012, 01:49 AM   #2
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
Thank you for taking the time to do a great write up! I would certainly love to own a new ceramic PO if funds would allow in addition to my 116610LN. I sold my old 2500 Planet Ocean in favor of the Sub C and have never looked back (I do however miss that watch occasionally). If I were in the market now days trying to decide between a Sub C and Ceramic PO, the decision would not be nearly as easy as it was back then.
WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 02:56 AM   #3
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

excellent comparison, i just picked up the 42mm black PO and love it. Its the best bargain out there now.
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 03:52 AM   #4
capote
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Thanks for sharing, interesting comparison
capote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 06:13 AM   #5
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Excellent write up. Here's a quick pic of mine.

And the two beasts.
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 06:17 AM   #6
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Great write up!

Already having the LVC, I hope to soon be in the same boat as you with both.
I confess to having one on order....
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 06:21 AM   #7
T-Rip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DSSD 116660
Very good write up... Im in the market to pick up a PO and this review will help since I already have a SubC as well..

Good job

Rolex: DSSD 116660, 16622 PLATTY
T-Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 12:18 PM   #8
AndyK
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Great write up. Rolex and Omega both make excellent watches an it's perfectly fine to own both!

Nice collection too.
AndyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 12:22 PM   #9
dalip
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PAM Omega
Very useful write up Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Excellent news Travis

------------------------------------------------------------
"The liar's punishment is not in the least that he is not believed, but that he cannot believe anyone else." George Bernard Shaw
dalip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 12:34 PM   #10
psv
"TRF" Member

Great review Charles, especially since you rather wear the DSSD ;-)

I do agree with you in a lot of the obsevations. It is a shame that the Omega doesn't have a better bracelet and clasp system, including a more solid end-link system as well. I had every intention of buying a Planet Ocean a while back but aestethically I just couldn't live with the broad-arrow hands but more importantly the HE-valve at 10 o'clock. Overall, I dind the Sub to have that extra je-ne-sais-quoi that puts it easily over the top for me, but in the value department the Omega is a clear winner. A great daily beater and travel companion.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your observations.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 01:31 PM   #11
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
very accurate comparison. there is no winner here only personal preference.
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 08:59 PM   #12
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
Great write up. Rolex and Omega both make excellent watches an it's perfectly fine to own both!

Nice collection too.
X2!
My two favorite brands.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 09:34 PM   #13
Monte Cristo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you...
Thanks for taking the time and sharing. Very nice write up
Old 15 June 2012, 10:33 PM   #14
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
An excellent objective comparison! Thank you.

A couple things, however.

1) I agree with you that the bracelet and clasp on the Sub is superior overall. But, specifically regarding the endlink fitment, I believe that Omega does this by design. The ATs, Speedies, and Seamasters have this very small gap between the links and case, and I think it's because it makes strap/bracelet changes easier. Alot of the Omega sport watches are worn on straps and bracelets. I think the spring bars have a little more flex for ease. I do see, however, how would you prefer the tighter fit...as it gives the appearance and feel of higher quality.

2) Regarding legibility and quality of the dial...I actually think the PO has a more legible dial ( and better lume btw) because of the A/R coating. I've always disliked the lack of A/R on Rolex crystals. Also, the PO dial is a little more nuanced and detailed IMO. I like how the "faceted" hour markers on the PO have a little more detail to them than the hour markers on the sub. At least the markers seem to be more finely cut on the PO. The raised numerals are nicely executed as well.

Just my thoughts.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2012, 10:35 PM   #15
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

i've been waiting patiently, charles, for this post, and you really came through. fantastic well-written review and beautiful pix (as always). thanks very much for this.

Cru Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2012, 01:33 AM   #16
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoWatch View Post
Thank you for taking the time to do a great write up! I would certainly love to own a new ceramic PO if funds would allow in addition to my 116610LN. I sold my old 2500 Planet Ocean in favor of the Sub C and have never looked back (I do however miss that watch occasionally). If I were in the market now days trying to decide between a Sub C and Ceramic PO, the decision would not be nearly as easy as it was back then.
Thanks, Chad! I appreciate the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post
Thanks, Genaro! I love the pics of your Sub C and PO8500. Yours is the 45.5mm, correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Congratulations, Travis! I think you will really like the new PO and I look forward to seeing your pics and hearing your thoughts as soon as she arrives...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydendillon View Post
Very good write up... Im in the market to pick up a PO and this review will help since I already have a SubC as well..

Good job

Thanks, Tom! The PO8500 is a great change of pace and I think you will really enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalip View Post
Very useful write up Charles
Thanks, Dalip! Good to hear from you my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Great review Charles, especially since you rather wear the DSSD ;-)

I do agree with you in a lot of the obsevations. It is a shame that the Omega doesn't have a better bracelet and clasp system, including a more solid end-link system as well. I had every intention of buying a Planet Ocean a while back but aestethically I just couldn't live with the broad-arrow hands but more importantly the HE-valve at 10 o'clock. Overall, I dind the Sub to have that extra je-ne-sais-quoi that puts it easily over the top for me, but in the value department the Omega is a clear winner. A great daily beater and travel companion.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your observations.
Thanks, Patrick! The hands on the PO are very legible and the lume is quite amazing. I especially like the fact that the majority of the dial is blue, but the minute hand and bezel pearl are green. I do agree with you, however, re: that extra something special that the Sub C has that is hard to quantify...the LV is still my favorite if price is no object:)
Old 16 June 2012, 01:43 AM   #17
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior View Post
An excellent objective comparison! Thank you.

A couple things, however.

1) I agree with you that the bracelet and clasp on the Sub is superior overall. But, specifically regarding the endlink fitment, I believe that Omega does this by design. The ATs, Speedies, and Seamasters have this very small gap between the links and case, and I think it's because it makes strap/bracelet changes easier. Alot of the Omega sport watches are worn on straps and bracelets. I think the spring bars have a little more flex for ease. I do see, however, how would you prefer the tighter fit...as it gives the appearance and feel of higher quality.

2) Regarding legibility and quality of the dial...I actually think the PO has a more legible dial ( and better lume btw) because of the A/R coating. I've always disliked the lack of A/R on Rolex crystals. Also, the PO dial is a little more nuanced and detailed IMO. I like how the "faceted" hour markers on the PO have a little more detail to them than the hour markers on the sub. At least the markers seem to be more finely cut on the PO. The raised numerals are nicely executed as well.

Just my thoughts.
Thank you for the feedback, Warrior! I agree with you on point (1)...I definitely noticed that the bracelet removal on the Omega was much easier when I fit the PO8500 on a NATO strap; however, I am not sure whether this was an intentional design choice or just a natural result of a looser fitting end-link.

On point (2) I both agree and disagree. I do love how crisp the dial looks due to the AR coating; however, I do have some long-term durability concerns about Omega choosing to use the AR coating on both the top and bottom of the crystal. I think the perfect solution would be to use it only on the underside, so that you get the benefits, without the potential drawbacks of scratches or wear over time.

The dial material itself, has positives and negatives. In indoor light, it has a nice matte appearance and looks absolutely beautiful; however, in direct sun the dial tends to "blow out" a little bit. It uses a sparkle texture that tends to reflect sunlight and almost blinds you if you hold the watch at the wrong angle. I do LOVE the applied 6,9,12 and I absolutely agree with you on both the markers and the lume. The PO8500 lume is absolutely amazing and blows the Sub C out of the water. It is bright and long lasting and I love the fact that the minute hand and bezel pearl are a different color (green as opposed to blue) so they can be quickly picked up in the darkness.

All in all, the PO8500 is a real beauty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
i've been waiting patiently, charles, for this post, and you really came through. fantastic well-written review and beautiful pix (as always). thanks very much for this.

Thanks, buddy! I was hoping that you would find this review buried over here in the Omega forum:)

I appreciate the kind words and I am glad that you found it to be useful.
Old 16 June 2012, 03:21 AM   #18
mikkemus23
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/PAM
Excellent write up on these to great watches!! I also have the Hulk, and the PO 2500 LM LE.
I love how Omega gives the dial a "3D"-look. However, the feel of the watches gives the edge to the Sub felt-quality wise.
mikkemus23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2012, 07:22 AM   #19
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkemus23 View Post
Excellent write up on these to great watches!! I also have the Hulk, and the PO 2500 LM LE.
I love how Omega gives the dial a "3D"-look. However, the feel of the watches gives the edge to the Sub felt-quality wise.
Thanks, Erik! I agree with you. I do really love the lume and the markers on the PO8500.

Old 25 June 2012, 11:23 AM   #20
RXPete
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharddog03 View Post

And the two beasts.
I own both also. You're picture shows, perfectly, the one flaw of the Rolex; the lack of AR coating. I hate that haze. When it comes to functionality of telling time them PO wins but, as stated above, the Sub feels more expensive and the feel of the bezel is better on the Sub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OMEGA SMP 300 GMT "Great White"2538.20 &"Electric Blue"2255.80
OCEAN7 LM-3
RXPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2012, 08:49 PM   #21
buddy13
"TRF" Member

Watch: Orient star 300m
I think the PO 8500 is a real bargain for what you get...

I like almost everything about it but the increased thickness and the exhibition back.

I absolutely love my 2201.50 classic PO, powered by the new 3 tier 2500D. I think it offers tremendous value .
buddy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2012, 12:16 AM   #22
Auragentum
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the nice write up Very nice comparison!

I like many of the Omega tool watches but unfortunately they are keeping to the trend of 'bigger is better' - which make them a turn off for me and my slim wrists.

Otherwise I would probably own two POs by now.
Old 16 July 2012, 12:30 AM   #23
How
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, Tudor 1960
Brilliant write up!

I have:

- SubC
- DSSD
- Omega PO 2500
- Omega PO Chrono 9300

I love 'em all for what they all have to offer. Simple as that!
How is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2012, 12:58 AM   #24
Rodentman
Banned

Interesting. And it is notable that many WIS's (including myself) have both a Sub and a PO to capitalize on the features of both. IMHO the biggest drawback on the PO is the lack of adjustment in the bracelet, as noted in the review. Frankly, I knew that when I bought it, and the bracelet came off immediately and it's on a generic rubber starp from RHD right now. I'm considering the Omega rubber strap and deployant but they're pricey.

Again IMHO I don't consider the coated crystal an issue since none of my "major" watches is a daily wearer, safe queen, or beater. The all get careful wear and timely service.

I love the visibility of the Omega dial and hands. OTOH, my Rolex SD does have a special appeal that's hard to describe. FWIW it's also on a strap, a carbon fiber from my main strap source, RHD.
Rodentman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2012, 01:04 AM   #25
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Thanks for the great write up
Old 16 July 2012, 02:52 AM   #26
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Nice comparison review of two beautiful watches. I'm not a Rolex person, but I'm starting to see why so many others are... ;)

KAT
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2012, 07:55 AM   #27
thewatchguy93
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy gold..
Great post man, I agree 100000%

www.thewatchguyofficial.co.uk

Got a GREEN Submariner 116610LV.. Visit the official thread here! http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=179580

Don't forget to visit the Rolex & Attire thread too! http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=215077
thewatchguy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2012, 08:17 AM   #28
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

A very well reasoned review. I agree with everything you say, but in my own personal approach, I put a greater emphasis on the movement, and, thus, the PO comes out on top. Different strokes for different folks, eh? In any case, both the Sub and the Planet Ocean are extremely good watches - I think the perfect dive watch would be a combination of the two
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2012, 02:31 PM   #29
psv
"TRF" Member

I passed by the Omega Boutique earlier today and I must say that the PO 42mm is really growing on me. I was wearing my old trusty 16610 Sub and I think the new PO technically beats that that watch in all segments. A better bracelet and clasp would put it pretty much on par with the SubC. At 25% the $6,200 MSRP it is pretty much half the price of a SubC and a no brainer. Great 'affordable' alternative or addition to any collection IMO.

I'd love to see some photos of the 42mm PO on NATO strap.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2012, 11:08 AM   #30
dmc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMTIIC
I find it notable that most Omega watches are excellent time keepers.

R.I.P. JJ
Rolex GMTIIC M
Rolex GMTIIC V TRF
Rolex 16610 M
Rolex 116610 G
Omega SMP

Live Free Or Die
dmc is offline   Reply With Quote