The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 20 March 2020, 05:31 AM   #1
Xerxes77
Banned

Audemars Piguet stops due to coronavirus

Hello guys,

How do you think the market for AP watches has evolved now when production are stopped?

I think even we are in a Global Pandemic situation the price will rise because of lack of pieces on the market.

Audemars Piguet have always a small production but now when they stop for unknown period of time I think lovers of the AP will not have what to buy.

I am interested to see how this situation are seeing by members of forum and AP lovers.

I wish you to all Good Health!
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 08:39 PM   #2
rumnyc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15202ST
No need to guess...prices are going down across the board for watches I 'hearted' in chrono24. 5pc to 10pc down on all the hot pieces in the last 3 weeks.
rumnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 09:26 PM   #3
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Agreed. Demand will be so weak that closing down factories won't matter. The Swiss brands are like a lot of us, thinking of surviving this crisis.
Old 20 March 2020, 10:17 PM   #4
m3jasper
"TRF" Member

Prices are certainly down.

I've already been offered several "hot" AP pieces and can confirm that prices are trending downward.

I believe there are dealers that will get hurt as they are sit on inventory they can't sell, while the interest continues adding up on their credit lines.
m3jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2020, 11:54 PM   #5
Reign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3jasper View Post

I've already been offered several "hot" AP pieces and can confirm that prices are trending downward.

I believe there are dealers that will get hurt as they are sit on inventory they can't sell, while the interest continues adding up on their credit lines.

Did your openworked QP come yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 10:17 PM   #6
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I wonder if AP regrets that huge price increase on the 15450?
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 10:57 PM   #7
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post

Why would they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 11:34 PM   #8
habanas
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Curious, what pieces were you offered? And are they pieces that you would normally not be able to get unless you had more of a purchase history?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
habanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 01:03 AM   #9
TankTom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie_Rollie View Post
Ridiculous question. Love how people who don’t have the watches they want are now happy the prices may drop so that they feel better about themselves. Only to never buy the watch anyway regardless of the price. People who buy AP are not concerned with paying a few grand less for a particular watch and so are not bothered if the price comes down slightly.

Too many people on this forum like this
TankTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 01:30 AM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
No doubt prices are hurting. Try selling something. Oof. Better yet...don’t!
Old 22 March 2020, 07:23 AM   #11
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Audemars Piguet stops due to coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTom View Post
Ridiculous question. Love how people who don’t have the watches they want are now happy the prices may drop so that they feel better about themselves. Only to never buy the watch anyway regardless of the price. People who buy AP are not concerned with paying a few grand less for a particular watch and so are not bothered if the price comes down slightly.

Yikes! Take a walk, the quarantine is getting to ya!
Hollie_Rollie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 07:31 AM   #12
martinr
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Ridiculous. I’ve bought AP and I definitely care about a few thousand dollars.
martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 09:34 AM   #13
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I for one am hugely price sensitive.

My latest incoming was apparently in the last batch shipped before the closure. Arrives this coming week.
Old 22 March 2020, 10:39 AM   #14
MichaelFlash
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The only people who really don't care about paying a few grand less for a watch are the big boys with big boy $$$$. I do not believe the vast majority of AP buyers necessarily have that kind of scratch. And I would argue that even if they did have it, they would still care because they most likely have financial acumen. However, if it makes you feel better to think that every person you see wearing an AP is a multi millionaire or billionaire, go ahead.
MichaelFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 01:12 PM   #15
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:

I've been blessed in life and with my business but I definitely pay attention to the price. Few thousand difference on one brings you a few thousand closer to the next.
Old 22 March 2020, 01:13 PM   #16
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
I for one am hugely price sensitive.

My latest incoming was apparently in the last batch shipped before the closure. Arrives this coming week.
Congratulations in advance Roger! Excited to see what showstopper you have coming in!
Old 22 March 2020, 01:21 PM   #17
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Price will always find its proper level. MSRP can be enforced, discounted, locked on purchase history, or bundled, as the case may be.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 01:47 PM   #18
slin1110
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
I've been blessed in life and with my business but I definitely pay attention to the price. Few thousand difference on one brings you a few thousand closer to the next.
I'm with you on this one!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
slin1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 02:17 PM   #19
Raemondo
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Were these pieces from AP directly?
Old 22 March 2020, 02:52 PM   #20
conkers
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoloka View Post
Congratulations in advance Roger! Excited to see what showstopper you have coming in!
Thanks! Should be Friday I think!
Old 22 March 2020, 07:01 PM   #21
ragsk
Banned

There is a substantial reset coming in the watch market. It was much needed as the last few years have been pretty crazy. I just wish the reset wasn't caused by such a world changing event that may cost the lives of many.

A number of ADs and boutiques have behaved pretty poorly during these times. They had begun to think that they were more important than the customer. It was like us having to thank them for allowing us to hand over our hard earned money. We were spending tens of thousands and we had to beg and be gracious.

Now that only applies to some AD's - the vast majority have been brilliant and it has also been difficult for them to handle these times. However some have misbehaved and I for one am glad that normality will return pretty soon. Just wish it were under different circumstances.

Please stay safe everyone.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 10:00 PM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFlash View Post
The only people who really don't care about paying a few grand less for a watch are the big boys with big boy $$$$. I do not believe the vast majority of AP buyers necessarily have that kind of scratch. And I would argue that even if they did have it, they would still care because they most likely have financial acumen. However, if it makes you feel better to think that every person you see wearing an AP is a multi millionaire or billionaire, go ahead.
Yup. I think the people who make the money care about every scent of it, but the people who inherit the money are the ones who are careless about it.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2020, 10:03 PM   #23
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
There is a substantial reset coming in the watch market. It was much needed as the last few years have been pretty crazy. I just wish the reset wasn't caused by such a world changing event that may cost the lives of many.

A number of ADs and boutiques have behaved pretty poorly during these times. They had begun to think that they were more important than the customer. It was like us having to thank them for allowing us to hand over our hard earned money. We were spending tens of thousands and we had to beg and be gracious.

Now that only applies to some AD's - the vast majority have been brilliant and it has also been difficult for them to handle these times. However some have misbehaved and I for one am glad that normality will return pretty soon. Just wish it were under different circumstances.

Please stay safe everyone.
I've always said, rather nonchalantly, that it would take a black swan or two, to change the direction of this raging bull watch market, well we just got ten black swans all in one go, almost none of us have seen anything like this outside of a war.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2020, 04:59 AM   #24
gregouille
"TRF" Member

This post is quite interesting for me because I'm waiting on a 15450 that should arrive next month.

I had a called last week from my AD who wanted to let me know they closed their boutique but if I still wanted the watch they could directly ship the watch to my home.
My AD was quite stressed to be honest, we a lot of watches waiting to be collected from clients so I think he was just calling all of his clients to measure how serious is the situation...

Do you recon I should ask for a discount on the piece?
The thing is my AD has been quite AMAZING with me from day 0 so I can of want to keep this relationship with him but for me $1000 is $1000.
gregouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2020, 08:06 AM   #25
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregouille View Post
This post is quite interesting for me because I'm waiting on a 15450 that should arrive next month.

I had a called last week from my AD who wanted to let me know they closed their boutique but if I still wanted the watch they could directly ship the watch to my home.
My AD was quite stressed to be honest, we a lot of watches waiting to be collected from clients so I think he was just calling all of his clients to measure how serious is the situation...

Do you recon I should ask for a discount on the piece?
The thing is my AD has been quite AMAZING with me from day 0 so I can of want to keep this relationship with him but for me $1000 is $1000.

Honestly, I wouldn’t ask for a discount from an AD. If you were paying over the odds preowned that’s different; but it feels a bit off to try and low-ball given the current covid situation when they have sourced one for you in good faith.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2020, 10:28 AM   #26
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
Saving a few grand doesn't matter who you are. I think prices will come down with the pandemic and global economy on the brink of recession. With all the losses in the stock market, people will acre about paying that extra few G's for a timepiece.
Rolex 116710 BLNR
And a few others...
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2020, 10:45 AM   #27
alexlt730512
"TRF" Member

Would you guys still buy the hot models like black ceramic perpetual calendar or 15407 rose gold/SS if your dealer call you now that they're available for sale? this is gonna be a tough choice despite there might be a potential down trend for the market.
alexlt730512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2020, 05:24 PM   #28
TankTom
Banned

I think there is a lot of political correctness going on here to be honest. Conkers - your collection is super super valuable and you’re about to spend god knows how much on an AP this week (fair play, I’m sure you deserve it). But it kind of goes against what you’ve said above re being hugely price sensitive - if we are all expecting a massive recession and that watches will come down in price, surely now is not the best time to buy it? IMO, you don’t care that the prices may come down because you’re financially strong enough to not care about it. Human beings don’t like to admit (openly) that they’re too wealthy to care about £1k here or £2k there as it’s seen as arrogant or insensitive, but let’s face it, it’s a reality if we are being honest with ourselves.
I’ve obviously rubbed a few people up the wrong way - I haven’t meant to, I just think most on here say what they think they should say for fear of offending rather than saying how they really feel.
TankTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2020, 06:21 PM   #29
gregouille
"TRF" Member

Thanks for your inputs guys !
gregouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2020, 09:18 PM   #30
teks066
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
Thanks! Should be Friday I think!
Congrats!! which one are you getting this time.

im relatively new to AP in this forum but already hv came across ur ig page. Love the photos on ur page and your collection is really breathtaking.

Look forward to the pics of your new piece.
teks066 is offline   Reply With Quote