The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 21 August 2019, 03:12 AM   #1
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
IWC Spitfire line with new „manufacture“ movements

Having just read James Stacey‘s excellent article about the 41 mm Spitfire Chrono.

When these came out, everybody was raving about the new „manufacture“ movements *, also in the 3-hander watches.

From the descriptions on the IWC homepage ( now somewhat edited in text) and my telephone conversations with the „concierge“ it was quite clear, that these movements have been newly designed for and are exclusively made in the IWC Manufacture.

Now from The Hodinkee article, I am learning that the „new manufacture“ movements 69370 are still based on the 7750 Valjoux and the 32110 is still based on ETA 2892.

Am I the only person who has gotten this wrong and based on the many articles thought, that these where newly developed movements?

Or am I a victim of wishful thinking?

*Just quoting some previous Hodinkee articles about the Spitfire line:

„It's also features a new in-house caliber that has a 72 hour power“
„another new in-house movement, the caliber 69380“
„While IWC makes some excellent in-house movements, many of its pilot's watches have traditionally used ébauche movements from makers like Sellita and Valjoux. The new Spitfire watches, on the other hand, all use in-house IWC movements, from the simplest watches in the collection to the most complex. “
„It's slightly smaller at 39mm (vs. 40mm), has that in-house caliber 32110 inside“
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 06:22 AM   #2
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Seems like most in house movements are based off a pre-existing design. That's something I'm ok with basing things off a proven movement, but it is the sexy thing to be "in-house" even if it doesn't add any practical benefit.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote