The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 September 2021, 08:48 AM   #271
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsterdamfats View Post
no one says anything when your wife walks in wearing a $15k ring though??

buy a watch you're rich

buy a $15k wedding ring.......i think you're stupid but no one ever says anything about that. it's ok and normal

screw that!

This guy gets it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
derekhayden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 09:00 AM   #272
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsterdamfats View Post
no one says anything when your wife walks in wearing a $15k ring though??

buy a watch you're rich

buy a $15k wedding ring.......i think you're stupid but no one ever says anything about that. it's ok and normal

screw that!
lol and $15k would be considered cheap
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 09:21 AM   #273
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
lol and $15k would be considered cheap
Only for the crowd that thinks it is some sort of competition.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 09:46 AM   #274
Roll-E
"TRF" Member

Okay Mr. Moneybags, at least you get to buy a Rolex! I have to brag to my friends my local AD is thinking adding me to the waitlist, for the waitlist for a Rolex Pearlmaster 28mm!!!
Roll-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 10:57 AM   #275
Heimdall
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR SD4K PP 5167A
I think that this whole thing about "owning a Rolex and he/she must be rich". If you are wearing a Nautilus there is some spare cash about but $15,000 in today's zero interest rate environment is, sadly it seems, not seen as much.
Heimdall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 01:32 PM   #276
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
There is cost and there is value too. Most of my friends would sh*t themselves if I told them what I paid for my sub. Then shi*t themselves again when I told them I could sell it for almost twice what I paid for it. Nice thing about Rolex. Essentially free to wear.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 03:26 PM   #277
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Totally agree. I have friends that think I’m smart because i drive an inexpensive car. Yet, i spend $20,000 a year on golf . You’re exactly right, everyone has their thing.

Does that include green fees and traveling or are you buy honma golf sets every year.
?At least here in the US I don’t think golf is that pricey.
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 03:45 PM   #278
liljctl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csaltphoto View Post
There is cost and there is value too. Most of my friends would sh*t themselves if I told them what I paid for my sub. Then shi*t themselves again when I told them I could sell it for almost twice what I paid for it. Nice thing about Rolex. Essentially free to wear.
Unless you have a long standing relationship, in my opinion, everyone pays a premium nowadays.
liljctl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 03:56 PM   #279
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

"He owns a Rolex so he must be rich !!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Does that include green fees and traveling or are you buy honma golf sets every year.
?At least here in the US I don’t think golf is that pricey.

I am in California at a private club. Not a super expensive club but works out to around $1,000 a month with food and everything. Country club dues plus travel and clubs and all that. Includes all green fees, cart fees and locker fees.

I liked my old club much better, i got away for around $500 a month. But, it was in terrible shape.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2021, 04:02 PM   #280
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

PP and ALS - much more expensive and nobody notices what you've got on your wrist.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 12:02 AM   #281
marine 337
"TRF" Member

that is the real story
marine 337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 01:01 AM   #282
RyanJ
"TRF" Member

It is one of the appeals of Rolex. Their marketing has made people believe that you are rich if you can buy a Rolex. Most do not realize most Rolex models are cheap in comparison to the high end luxury watches that they are compared to (e.g. Patek, ALS, etc.).
RyanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 01:07 AM   #283
joeboy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
I'm curious though.
Why pick the most popular luxury watch brand on the planet? Why spend $8k~10k on a watch?
Just so you can wear it 'under the radar', and not caring what people think, and certainly not fishing for compliments?
Admit it, you want to flex. And you chose the brand that can do this in the best way possible.
A horrendous thrust of your viewpoint onto someone you know nothing about. :(
joeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 01:51 AM   #284
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
I'm curious though.
Why pick the most popular luxury watch brand on the planet? Why spend $8k~10k on a watch?
Just so you can wear it 'under the radar', and not caring what people think, and certainly not fishing for compliments?
Admit it, you want to flex. And you chose the brand that can do this in the best way possible.
I'm sure this is true for many people. To me this is a sad state of affairs and it's gotten worse over time. It's actually the reason why I was on the fence about buying my Sea Dweller for a long time. I've always enjoyed nice watches for the tech and story behind them. Been wearing my Speedmaster for about 30 years now. I've had maybe three conversations with strangers during that time about it. I doubt too many people ever noticed it. I don't care really one way or another.
Rolex has this weird reputation and some of their designs are truly in your face. So yeah, my five digit Sea Dweller is not exactly under the radar; one reason I avoid it in certain settings, including work. My ideal Rolex would be one without markings; I'd pay extra for that. Some people would say that's the ultimate flex akin to deleting Facebook and dumping the iphone for a flip phone. What do I know?
I like certain things but not the attention for it the thing itself. It's why I bought a BMW 335 and not a M3 (not a good look in the corporate parking lot) which still gives me 90% of the fun (with manual of course, which would rule out many many modern "flex" cars for me). Or going on stage at a local club with a very valuable old guitar and almost nobody would know. But I'm having a good time with it.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 05:13 AM   #285
SeeDweller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 5212 (blasphemy!)
Somehow, this recurring appearance of comments regarding the concept of “flex”, has become that of a low class “showing off”. Or worse yet, showing off to people who might not be able to afford the same level of luxury (maybe that’s the lowest class activity of all...)

But, at the risk of repetition (because this has been covered many times, already), EVERYONE of us has less than some people, and more than other people!! All of us are incredibly “rich”, to some observers.

When it comes down to it, I admit fully that I enjoy showing off a new toy (bauble?) to my fellow watch-loving friends!! Whether they can “afford” a watch at the same level (or not), is never the point of the conversation - it’s all about fun! I’ve had a blast checking out Cameron Barr’s Paul Newman, and getting to take a wrist picture selfie, but I certainly don’t feel “less than”, and compare myself to his wealth or any such BS. That’s not the point of all this!!

So when we talk about “flexing”, ... if it’s between friends, then I say, “bring it on”!! Show me the coolest thing you have!

Just trying to point out that certain words are often mis-used and then take on a life of their own. (we’ve sure seen that in the political arena!)

'21 116506 (Daytona, Blue dial)..|..... '22 116508 (Daytona, Green dial)
'21 126619LB (Submariner, Blue) ...|... '20 126710-BLNR (GMT-II, Batgirl)

.... and still trying to scratch that itch!.....
SeeDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 05:27 AM   #286
LC23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevision View Post
i guess just like other luxury things in life, rolex owners also probably carry this "tag" around their wrist. While this may be true for some owners, people like me actually save up (just sold my omega smp to complete the $11k funds). I don't have disposable income by far and i've been 'saving' up for over a year so i can spend it on a watch without having 2nd thought about income or expenses. And i'm not buying one for resell or "investment" either.

I've been telling some of my friends/relatives that i'm thinking of purchasing a rolex by x-mas (depends on my ad) and 1st thing i hear is "man..u must be rich!" or "we not gonna buy u any birthday presents this year..lol". Or "hey..u should start buying us drinks next time we go to the bar!".

Maybe part of the reason is the status rolex has built up over these years (hard to get and if someone simply "googles" rolex prices, they get hit in the face with grey market sharks of $15k average for a brand new rolex). Most people simply don't realize that actual ad/msrp prices are far lower than what internet prices come up. And all of this simply adds up to the "oh u are rich" mentality for the common people.

Truth be told that over the last 5 years, if i had simply not spent so much on plethora of seiko/micro brand divers and tags/breitlings, etc, i'd have easily bought a sub years ago (when these were readily available at ads as well!!).

I guess watches are just like any other hobby or extra life expense. Some people spend $$$$$ on cars, bikes, boats or off-roading and in that respect, spending $10-$12k on a watch really looks cheap in comparison.

But somehow the common people mentality seems to be stuck with if someone owns a rolex (vs other brands), he/she must be "rich"!!

Rant out :).
facts
LC23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2021, 05:42 AM   #287
Jim
"TRF" Member

Its dust. Within two generations forgotten, maybe a picture of you wearing it in an album somewhere in loft. Your prized Rolex of today will be on C24 as a cheap vintage piece.
Live life for today, tomorrow may never come. Choose your friends wisely and avoid those who make judgements. True friends dont care what you wear, or how much money you have. If it makes you happy, buy what you like - dont pay attention to the doom-mongers.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2021, 11:07 PM   #288
blackhawks6
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP36, Oris, Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal H. View Post
Is it, though? I've seen a Ben Bridge Rolex billboard in downtown Seattle, but other than that I don't think I've seen any sort of Rolex advertisements. I know they used to (maybe still do?) advertise in NG, but who reads magazines these days?

I don't think it's ongoing advertisements, per se, as much as it's decades of reputation built up by, yes, marketing, but also being really damn good watches.
Here in Boston Rolex advertisements (mostly billboards) have been omnipresent.

I sold the only Rolex I purchased for two reasons....1) I ultimately decided that the 40mm and thick case due to the am cage made it more obvious on my 6.5" wrist. Never wore it because of a possible "stigma" and the fact that I work in sales. I never wanted clients to even think that I am overly compensated (which I am not). Sold the Milgauss and recently purchased a more modest 36mm OP. Though it has a noticeable dial color but I like it very much. I will pick my spots.
blackhawks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 10:44 AM   #289
subdownunder
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
I am not convinced that is true even as a generality.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Maybe we need to define wealthy.

If you mean the upper middle class such as professions (law, Medical, Accounting etc) who drive a Merc/BMW/ Italian Sports car/cars t then my statement is very generalised. These are referred to the Uncle Shopkeeper class by the youth of Asia.

While living and working in SE Asia (Singapore/Malaysia and Hong Kong) I met a hidden wealthy class both formally and socially. When they wore a watch they nearly all wore a very expensive lesser known brand. Rolexes were simply too common and projected the wrong image.

Now you may disagree with me but my definition of wealth may be different from others on this forum.

The below video may help to explain this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1d_GA8Mkjc
subdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 12:57 PM   #290
Casotakar
"TRF" Member

10 pages later this thread still sucks. Lol.
Casotakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 02:05 PM   #291
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdownunder View Post
Maybe we need to define wealthy.

If you mean the upper middle class such as professions (law, Medical, Accounting etc) who drive a Merc/BMW/ Italian Sports car/cars t then my statement is very generalised. These are referred to the Uncle Shopkeeper class by the youth of Asia.

While living and working in SE Asia (Singapore/Malaysia and Hong Kong) I met a hidden wealthy class both formally and socially. When they wore a watch they nearly all wore a very expensive lesser known brand. Rolexes were simply too common and projected the wrong image.

Now you may disagree with me but my definition of wealth may be different from others on this forum.

The below video may help to explain this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1d_GA8Mkjc
Yes, some very wealthy people behave that way. Many do not.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
Old 11 September 2021, 02:12 PM   #292
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
So many deep comments and meaningless insights on this thread. Some people can afford a Rolex, some people can’t even finance a rolex, some people think Rolex is beneath them, some people aspire to have one. This is a rolex forum, we are here because we love them!
Old 11 September 2021, 02:37 PM   #293
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
My collection can buy a Ferrari at a huge discount.

I drive a Mustang ...and mostly a Toyota Hilux .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 02:49 PM   #294
xrole
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
So many deep comments and meaningless insights on this thread. Some people can afford a Rolex, some people can’t even finance a rolex, some people think Rolex is beneath them, some people aspire to have one. This is a rolex forum, we are here because we love them!
People are here because they at the very least want to discuss them, but that includes negatively if they wish of course.

Personally I think Rolexes make some very fine watches. I adore my OP 39mm white for its elegance and simplicity and I also really want a Skydweller for how uniquely looking and functioning I think it is, vs anything else on the market, from any brand.

However, there are people who are clearly obsessed with and compulsively collect and cheerlead the brand without really knowing why. In the end we all have our views but who cares what anyone else thinks, just buy what you like and can safely enjoy, because life is too short to do otherwise.
xrole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2021, 09:31 PM   #295
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRell View Post
That was pretty clever to post a meaningless insight as an indictment of other deep comments and meaningless insights. Well played.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
Old 2 October 2021, 02:15 PM   #296
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEXROLEXROLEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDapperYank View Post
When I've introduced my watch to people, I make sure to talk about why it's meaningful to me. How my father and his father were Rolex owners so I want to continue the tradition. Then I go into the history of the Rolex Milgauss and how it was originally designed back in the 1950s for the scientists working at CERN, to be resistant to magnetic fields so accurate time keeping could continue in a laboratory environment. Usually people think that's super neat and appreciate it.

Long story short, it's all in how you sell it to people. If you're just like "Man, I really want a rolex" people that only know of Rolex as a rich people toy will think you want it as a rich person's toy, but if there is meaning behind it they'll appreciate it. Either that or you can just not talk about it to folks that aren't watch people. Your choice.
I agree. I consider Rolex watches works of art, so admire the time, effort and that’s goes into creating them. My love is for every craftsman or woman involved in creating them, rather those intending to show them off.
HeartRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2021, 02:19 PM   #297
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvo View Post
Just buy your Rolex and don’t worry about what your friends or family think. As long you enjoy it - that is the only thing that counts. It is your money - rich or not.

I have learned over time to not talk to friends or family about what you plan to buy. People have all kind of opinions about everything....don’t care about their opinions.
Love this!
Old 2 October 2021, 02:20 PM   #298
HeartRolex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew View Post
In the same vein, I think a Rolex sometimes show you the true character of some of friends or relatives…
Do tell..