The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 July 2019, 02:08 AM   #61
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
LOL
I was not offering that watch to you.
I was just trying to say that I have the strong connection with Ebel and Miami Vice and agreed how difficult it is to find a good one - no matter if in Steel or in Gold.

It took me years, but they are out there, good luck with your hunt.
Such a cool watch, you're a lucky man!
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2019, 02:23 AM   #62
walds11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Yes sir. Agreed
Old 27 July 2019, 02:33 AM   #63
SearChart
TechXpert

Oh boy look what I just found in our LP collection

Old 27 July 2019, 04:36 AM   #64
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Thanks, Bas and I agree.

To me, it was always cooler than a Daydate or Gold Daytona
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2019, 10:44 AM   #65
swatty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNA/LION View Post
Ha! Ha! Pictures Please...

Old 27 July 2019, 12:23 PM   #66
antbkny
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dblue
Quote:
Oh boy look what I just found in our LP collection

antbkny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2019, 12:58 PM   #67
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I'm probably the only person on the planet watching this in 2019
Yup I think you are. That show shaped my teen years. I remember the cars, the crazy pastel colors, the espadrilles, and the perpetual 5 o’clock shadows. But like others above, I don’t remember a single plot line. Tubbs always wore a datejust, right? I can’t remember the what watch Don Johnson wore...
coffeebreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2019, 04:50 PM   #68
Paul H
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2001 Explorer ll
I watched and enjoyed much of the Miami Vice shows and I found many of the secondary characters engaging, particularly this crazy guy, Izzy I think. However, by the last season it had been reduced to a sad caricature of itself. One too many seasons too long.
Paul H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2019, 10:21 PM   #69
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
Tubbs wore an Ebel Beluga on gold bracelet!
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2019, 11:53 PM   #70
SearChart
TechXpert

This was a great intro, with Relax, frankie goes to hollywood instrumental in the background. 80s pur sang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LovLRfsGf0
Old 30 July 2019, 04:58 AM   #71
Jay Tee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520/PAM/PO2500
Oh man, loved that show! Used to watch that and then stay up late to watch another show Friday Night Videos! What’s also great is that someone has curated all the songs played on that show onto a Spotify playlist.

116520 - 16570 - 16610LV - 16710pepsi - 116234
Jay Tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2019, 05:23 AM   #72
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Gotta love this scene

The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2019, 07:55 AM   #73
ian.thomas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

One of our members here worked on the show (I think). He posted some pictures of him on the set next to the boat.

The original boat was/is for sale for $20m. Not sure if it sold.

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
ian.thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2019, 11:53 AM   #74
fusionstorm
"TRF" Member

Watch: various vintage
I had a major crush on Saundra Santiago (Detective Gina, who Sonny hooked up with early in Season 1 IIRC, then she dropped him like a hot potato when she heard him mumble his ex-wife’s name while he was asleep).

Also remember Olivia Brown (Detective Trudy) as the love interest for Eddie Murphy towards the end of the movie “48 Hours”.

The show runners were extremely talented at weaving in drama, suspense and pathos throughout the series......SPOILER ALERTS!!! The premiere episode where Sonny loses his partner (played by Jimmy Smits before his LA Law stardom!) and Rico loses his older brother is the most memorable and enthralling of a first episode of any series I’ve ever seen. Suffice to say I was immediately hooked.

Edward James Olmos was perfectly cast IMO as Lieutenant Castillo. Brooding, ominous and mysterious, the show was smart in being circumspect about his past before he came to the Miami-Dade PD. When an episode would drop that brought his past as a DEA operative in Southeast Asia into the narrative (e.g. “Golden Triangle parts I & II” S1E13 & 14, and “Bushido” S2E8), it made for even more “must watch TV” than usual.

Further proof of the impact MV had on the cultural zeitgeist was the lengthy list of guest actors, musicians and athletes who appeared on the show. Julia Roberts, Bruce Willis, Ben Stiller, Viggo Mortensen, Chris Rock, Laurence Fishburne, Ving Rhames, Ian McShane, Wesley Snipes, Steve Buscemi and Liam Neeson were a few of the actors who appeared very early in their acting careers on MV. James Brown, Phil Collins, Willie Nelson, Glenn Frey, Frank Zappa, Leonard Cohen, Gene Simmons and Sheena Easton all had acting appearances as fictional characters, and not their music star selves. Some of the famous athletes (or athlete adjacent) who appeared were Bill Russell, Bernard King, Roberto Duran and Don King.

Gone.....never forgotten: 14000 F, 14060 V COSC, PAM 048, 16623 F, 1680 MK V 3.1M, 16800 matte 8.3M & 1655 MK IV 7.4M
fusionstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2019, 12:44 PM   #75
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Quote:
LOL
I was not offering that watch to you.
I was just trying to say that I have the strong connection with Ebel and Miami Vice and agreed how difficult it is to find a good one - no matter if in Steel or in Gold.

It took me years, but they are out there, good luck with your hunt.
Oh i know....if i could ever find one i would never sell it either.....to hard to find.
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2019, 01:15 PM   #76
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionstorm View Post
I had a major crush on Saundra Santiago (Detective Gina, who Sonny hooked up with early in Season 1 IIRC, then she dropped him like a hot potato when she heard him mumble his ex-wife’s name while he was asleep).

Also remember Olivia Brown (Detective Trudy) as the love interest for Eddie Murphy towards the end of the movie “48 Hours”.

The show runners were extremely talented at weaving in drama, suspense and pathos throughout the series......SPOILER ALERTS!!! The premiere episode where Sonny loses his partner (played by Jimmy Smits before his LA Law stardom!) and Rico loses his older brother is the most memorable and enthralling of a first episode of any series I’ve ever seen. Suffice to say I was immediately hooked.

Edward James Olmos was perfectly cast IMO as Lieutenant Castillo. Brooding, ominous and mysterious, the show was smart in being circumspect about his past before he came to the Miami-Dade PD. When an episode would drop that brought his past as a DEA operative in Southeast Asia into the narrative (e.g. “Golden Triangle parts I & II” S1E13 & 14, and “Bushido” S2E8), it made for even more “must watch TV” than usual.

Further proof of the impact MV had on the cultural zeitgeist was the lengthy list of guest actors, musicians and athletes who appeared on the show. Julia Roberts, Bruce Willis, Ben Stiller, Viggo Mortensen, Chris Rock, Laurence Fishburne, Ving Rhames, Ian McShane, Wesley Snipes, Steve Buscemi and Liam Neeson were a few of the actors who appeared very early in their acting careers on MV. James Brown, Phil Collins, Willie Nelson, Glenn Frey, Frank Zappa, Leonard Cohen, Gene Simmons and Sheena Easton all had acting appearances as fictional characters, and not their music star selves. Some of the famous athletes (or athlete adjacent) who appeared were Bill Russell, Bernard King, Roberto Duran and Don King.
Michael Bay was a Goon in Season 2
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 July 2019, 02:17 PM   #77
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Michael Bay was a Goon in Season 2
Wow, I never knew that. Cool bit of trivia
coffeebreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2019, 05:13 PM   #78
JP.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
Quote:
Miami Vice was groundbreaking and epic!

I loved and still watch the show - unfortunately from Season 4 it went somehow downhill.

I have been searching for an 18ct. Ebel Chrono for many years - this is sitting in my banksafe since 10 years, still unworn.

Cool.

Crockett actually wore the Sports Classic version at first in the 3rd season.

Then switched to your model in the 4th season

Old 14 August 2019, 06:58 AM   #79
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
After seeing this thread, I re-watched the pilot episode on nbc.com. Reminded me what a great show this was. I have special memories of Miami Vice. Back in 1987, I spent 28 days in a world famous treatment center, and my roommate was a Miami cocaine dealer who used too much of his product. We'd watch the show Friday evenings in the lounge, and he'd give a hilarious running commentary. Amazingly, like me, he's still clean and sober 32 years later.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2019, 08:13 AM   #80
Gecko10
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I thought it was a great show for the time and will catch it on occasion when flipping through the channels now. A little cheesy for today but still fun to watch. Gotta love the clothes, cars, watches and Miami in the late 70's/early 80's.
Funny, but I think the shows of today are "cheezy."
Gecko10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 02:34 AM   #81
JP.
"TRF" Member

Best episodes: Out Where The Buses Don't Run (amazing ending, that's TV history), Forgive Us Our Debts and Death And the Lady.
Old 16 August 2019, 04:59 AM   #82
Paul H
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2001 Explorer ll
I remember the most outstanding episodes being the season final. The last one of the season really set you up, had such absolute impact and really kept you wanting the new season.
Paul H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 06:19 AM   #83
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Groundbreaking show. I DVR old episodes on cable and watch one per day. The scenery and music were almost a characters themselves. This show was so big in the 80's that folks planned their night around watching it. Some incredible guest stars too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEjXPY9jOx8

I loved when they blew up the fake Daytona. And the Prodigal Son episodes.
Old 16 August 2019, 06:21 AM   #84
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP. View Post
Best episodes: Out Where The Buses Don't Run (amazing ending, that's TV history), Forgive Us Our Debts and Death And the Lady.
“Forgive us our Debts” is excellent, especially considering its repercussions a couple of seasons later....
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2019, 06:34 AM   #85
ian.thomas

Just posted this pic in the "The car you once had, and wish you could find again..." thread, but thought it would fit here too. '89 (not an '86 like in the show) white/white TR ... I think these pics were taken in '08/'09.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tr.jpg (89.4 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg tr2.jpg (57.6 KB, 105 views)

You're asking me how a watch works. For now, let’s just keep an eye on the time.
Old 16 August 2019, 08:17 AM   #86
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Nice car! Yeah the early models only had a single side view and it was mounted far higher. There are a couple of incredibly rare first-years where the guys have side view mirrors on both sides. I've heard those earlier suspensions on the rear are way too bouncy and the 512 solved it. A cool car anyway you slice it though, and I sat shotgun helping a friend track his Testarossa.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2019, 03:59 AM   #87
ian.thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Nice car! Yeah the early models only had a single side view and it was mounted far higher. There are a couple of incredibly rare first-years where the guys have side view mirrors on both sides. I've heard those earlier suspensions on the rear are way too bouncy and the 512 solved it. A cool car anyway you slice it though, and I sat shotgun helping a friend track his Testarossa.
Yeah, the flying mirror and the center-lock wheels are pretty badass on the '86, although the later 5-lugs were easier to live with. I never had suspension issues or felt it was bouncy, but did have fuel issues. I never tracked it, and not sure I would want to ... just 'regular' driving was a fully active sport with no power steering, the dog-leg gated shifter, and the pedals so close and far to the right (I usually drove it bare foot).

Although this one is gone, my best friend has a black '88 twin-turbo that can put down 900+hp at the wheels, although we have the boost turned down to around only 600hp. So, I still get to drive that one.

Old 17 August 2019, 04:01 AM   #88
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian.thomas View Post
Just posted this pic in the "The car you once had, and wish you could find again..." thread, but thought it would fit here too. '89 (not an '86 like in the show) white/white TR ... I think these pics were taken in '08/'09.
Wow Awesome!!
Old 17 August 2019, 06:15 AM   #89
JP.
"TRF" Member

Testarossas are heavily going up in value.

But nothing like the initial Miami Vice Ferrari, the Daytona.

Yeah... I know it was just a fake Daytona but it was still cool.
Old 17 August 2019, 06:23 AM   #90
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

When Enzo gave them a Testa it was black. Since the show guys said it wasn't filming well, they painted it white.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote