The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 August 2019, 10:31 PM   #31
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckFinlay View Post
This has been increased to six points now, which also means if you're a new driver within 2yrs of passing your test it's instant disqualification.
I wish it would be the same everywhere. Phones and cars don’t match.

Old 20 August 2019, 11:09 PM   #32
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
This is a good reminder. Thank you.

Upside potential vs. downside potential. This is a no brainer, guys.
Thanks Brew. Appreciate your note.

Several years ago I was walking to a final meeting of the day. A young girl - maybe late teens was walking, reading her phone and had her ear phones plugged in. She turned her back on the edge of the road and moved back a small, small step. A bus drive by and clipped her and in doing so dragged her up under the wheel arch. Took seven minutes for a motorcycle ambulance to get there. I had never heard screaming or seen disarticulated limbs in a wheel well. like that. She had milk and noodles in a bag with two sets of chopsticks. I have always wondered if they were spare sticks and napkin or for a special friend. She would die as three of us including the bike ambulance rider (bloody hero!) hunted for venous access and tried to diminish her pain and make her last five minutes on earth as personal as it could be or at least less horrendous.

I consider that young distracted woman a model of dignity and heartbreakingly lost potential. I still see the accident vividly and hear the gutteral screams, the sobbing and times of awful quiet. Irony drips from every molecule of her torn body. She cut herself off from the world electronically as we all wish we could some days but on this day it worked too well and in her last breath, her phone played its last request instead of the voices of those she craved.

We tried to find pictures of koalas to distract her for a wretched moment and it is so sad what passes for comforting a young woman who was full of life that morning and likely for another 60 years. If we were to assign fault it would fall to squarely on her. We’ve all got to keep an eye out because we can’t un-ring that bell.

Save just one by going handsfree and it’s my deep hope that you’ll never see, hear and smell all that. What I can do is speak briefly for her.
InitialAndPitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 11:12 PM   #33
InitialAndPitch
Banned

Watch: GMT-II BLRO PEPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuilln View Post
I wish it would be the same everywhere. Phones and cars don’t match.
Thanks Nick. Well put.
InitialAndPitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 11:19 PM   #34
hench7
"TRF" Member

People nowdays need validations and they get it usually from Facebook likes!

But, shaming the owner of the watch and car in a public forum doesn’t make us any better.

Best thing to do is to private message the person amd reminded that it is too dangerous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hench7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 11:30 PM   #35
Catatafish
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub 126610LV
For the love of God please stop doing this. I commute on a motorcycle and the number of cagers I see drifting over their line due to phoning is staggering. And please don't take them at traffic lights either. I'm tired of honking at people that the light has turned green while they're doing who knows what on that damn phone.
Catatafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 11:35 PM   #36
Brew
"TRF" Member

I use the setting that disables calls, messaging, etc. while I'm driving. I don't even want to be tempted. Nothing is so important that it can't wait.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2019, 11:42 PM   #37
Jona
Banned

Watch: 116618LN
My state just passed a "hand free" cell phone law. I think it's a great step forward. Compliance varies of course, and a lot of citations have been issued. Driving is serious business.
Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 12:08 AM   #38
PureCoconut
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5711
No
PureCoconut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 12:10 AM   #39
LandWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
Could be a shot taken over his shoulder by a passenger?
If I ever asked a passenger in my car to take a photo of my watch while driving, I’m sure they’d think I’d really lost it ...
LandWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 12:59 AM   #40
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

It's a good point the OP brought up. The reality is that in many cases the photos were taken, and as a result, the law was broken.

Essentially it is a photo of a "crime".

I know Police have gone after people for posting videos of then speeding, etc. If they could, they would probably do the same here.

The same photo can be taken while parked.
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 01:14 AM   #41
Johngalt1
Banned

It's exceptionally douchy
Johngalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 01:33 AM   #42
Uggi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandWatch View Post
If I ever asked a passenger in my car to take a photo of my watch while driving, I’m sure they’d think I’d really lost it ...
If anyone saw me taking a photo of my watch whilst sat at the wheel of my car - moving or stationary - they'd think I'd lost it too (including me).
Uggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 01:40 AM   #43
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
It’s absurd that there are people defending distracted driving in public roadways. Do it on a track and endanger yourself, never endanger innocent bystanders. Alternatively, do it while parked.

AOW
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 02:01 AM   #44
pepsiretail
Banned

TRF seems ok with it 245k views, not trying to provoke the mods to be clear and not all are in motion

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=361499
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 02:16 AM   #45
wiscbank12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Date just II
Ask a Friend

To sit in the backseat and take a pic over your shoulder?
wiscbank12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 02:23 AM   #46
Johngalt1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscbank12 View Post
To sit in the backseat and take a pic over your shoulder?
if they're truly a friend, they'd smack you upside the head while climbing into the backseat and tell you what a tool you're acting like
Johngalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 03:55 AM   #47
PeqFB
"TRF" Member

I would never take pleasure in someone’s misfortune but I bet many people would laugh if they heard a man was in an accident because he was taking a picture of his Rolex while driving.
PeqFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 04:02 AM   #48
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

A sobering question - is a pic of your Rolex taken driving at speed really worth it?

Yeah, but pictures taken while driving are soooo pretty
My passenger even had hold my beer! Just kidding...
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 05:03 AM   #49
LandWatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uggi View Post
If anyone saw me taking a photo of my watch whilst sat at the wheel of my car - moving or stationary - they'd think I'd lost it too (including me).
Absolutely, that’s a given!
LandWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 05:11 AM   #50
blufinz52

Watch: 116400GV 124060
This thread looks remarkably familiar. Is this Unfamiliar_Moon from the Omega Forum?
blufinz52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 05:25 AM   #51
Syed117
"TRF" Member

There will always be people who can only think of themselves in every moment of their existence.

It's stupid and reckless. Blame social media.

It relates to a relatively small group of people though. Cell phone use while driving is a much bigger issue.

I see countless drivers on the road every day looking at their phones. If it were up to me, license suspension on first offense for cell phone use while driving.
Old 21 August 2019, 05:51 AM   #52
dtwer
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 41
[QUOTE=MauiRolex;9913025]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenebris Equum View Post
It might not be as important to the folk in US as your local authorities have to deal with a much higher crime level then we have here...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

Yeah I noticed that too. So it's not about safety but veiled America bashing after all.

I was generally in agreement with the post until I saw this kind of comment.
dtwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 05:54 AM   #53
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngalt1 View Post
It's exceptionally douchy
^^^This^^^^

+1
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 06:29 AM   #54
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
I prefer to take pics while my pilot is on duty
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 06:36 AM   #55
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by InitialAndPitch View Post
Thanks Brew. Appreciate your note.

Several years ago I was walking to a final meeting of the day. A young girl - maybe late teens was walking, reading her phone and had her ear phones plugged in. She turned her back on the edge of the road and moved back a small, small step. A bus drive by and clipped her and in doing so dragged her up under the wheel arch. Took seven minutes for a motorcycle ambulance to get there. I had never heard screaming or seen disarticulated limbs in a wheel well. like that. She had milk and noodles in a bag with two sets of chopsticks. I have always wondered if they were spare sticks and napkin or for a special friend. She would die as three of us including the bike ambulance rider (bloody hero!) hunted for venous access and tried to diminish her pain and make her last five minutes on earth as personal as it could be or at least less horrendous.

I consider that young distracted woman a model of dignity and heartbreakingly lost potential. I still see the accident vividly and hear the gutteral screams, the sobbing and times of awful quiet. Irony drips from every molecule of her torn body. She cut herself off from the world electronically as we all wish we could some days but on this day it worked too well and in her last breath, her phone played its last request instead of the voices of those she craved.

We tried to find pictures of koalas to distract her for a wretched moment and it is so sad what passes for comforting a young woman who was full of life that morning and likely for another 60 years. If we were to assign fault it would fall to squarely on her. We’ve all got to keep an eye out because we can’t un-ring that bell.

Save just one by going handsfree and it’s my deep hope that you’ll never see, hear and smell all that. What I can do is speak briefly for her.
Absolutely horrific
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 06:46 AM   #56
ak5659
"TRF" Member

When I added a picture to the steering wheel thread, it never even occurred to me to take the picture while actually driving!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ak5659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 06:59 AM   #57
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

A pic of a watch taken by the driver while driving at speed is worth it, in the sense that this increases the chances of them being prosecuted and sanctioned.

Apart from the unnecessary expense of the carnage that might be caused by being so distracted (guess who pays for clearing that up), it's the gratuitous disregard for the safety of other people which appals me the most. This behaviour is indefensible. If I'm driving and one of these idiots collect me and kills me on their way to an accident, or even avoids one while flattening me in the process, which of you who thinks this kind of behaviour is OK, understandable or no big deal in the grand scheme, would like to explain this to my wife, my children, my grandchildren, my friends, etc...

In England, a woman who in December 2017, took a 30 second film of her toddler while driving and posted it on Facebook was given a 12-month driving ban and sentenced to six months imprisonment, suspended for 12 months. I think it's essential that these idiots post their photos up. If it gets just one of them off the road it might save a life. It might save yours. It's that simple.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2019, 09:43 AM   #58
EvEr34
"TRF" Member

A sobering question - is a pic of your Rolex taken driving at speed really worth it?

Since last January, Ontario (Canada) drivers caught with a cell phone in hand while driving face 1000$ fine and three day DL suspension. Get caught a second time...2000$ and 7 day suspension. Stupid enough to do it a third time and it’s 3000$ fine and 30 day suspension. :).

Novice drivers get it a lot worse by completely loosing their DL by third offense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
EvEr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 07:28 AM   #59
Bizcut1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126331 126610 3861
I've been "dying" to add to this thread...just look at that speedometer! (not to be confused with a Speedmaster).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2641.jpg (252.5 KB, 158 views)
Bizcut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2019, 07:30 AM   #60
Swashplate

This would be pretty easy even from a belted backseat passenger with a selfie stick...
Swashplate is offline   Reply With Quote