The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 8 January 2017, 01:47 PM   #61
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I would check the for sale section on the forum to see if OP is selling an SD4000!
Old 8 January 2017, 01:51 PM   #62
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Yeah...no.
Old 8 January 2017, 01:57 PM   #63
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
They have not discontinued the milgauss, they won't discontinue the sea dweller,.Both icons and must have piece's
Old 8 January 2017, 02:07 PM   #64
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
Ok, thanks.

Edit: after re-reading my initial post I can see that it might have come across more heated then intended. Wasn't meant confrontational but can certainly see how it might appear that way. Thanks for pointing that out, and apologies to the OP or anyone else who took offense.

All is good Tony64! I don't wish to see anyone denied a watch they may want. It seems as a Rolex is discontinued they become more sought after and in demand. I personally don't look at my Rolex as an investment but it would be cool if it did go up in value over time. When they were still making the Pepsi/Coke GMT's they were no big deal. Now they are coveted and sought after. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 8 January 2017, 02:14 PM   #65
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swils8610 View Post
All is good Tony64! I don't wish to see anyone denied a watch they may want. It seems as a Rolex is discontinued they become more sought after and in demand. I personally don't look at my Rolex as an investment but it would be cool if it did go up in value over time. When they were still making the Pepsi/Coke GMT's they were no big deal. Now they are coveted and sought after. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I remember in 1999 buying a GMT coke only because I couldn't find a sub! I immediately brought the watch to Rolex to have the insert changed to all black so it would look more like a sub.
Old 8 January 2017, 02:24 PM   #66
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
** 100% confirmed Basel info & discontinued models info

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieGuy View Post
- Sea-Dweller 4000 has been discontinued. A re-designed model may replace it within the next couple years.

- All 26mm models have been discontinued and are being replaced by the 28mm model. Any 26mm stock that ADs have can be sent to Rolex by the AD to have the dial changed to a different color at no charge. Rolex wants ADs to sell down their 26mm models as soon as they can.

- The elastomer strap that is currently only on the 37/40mm everose Yacht-Master will be available on at least one other Professional series model.

- 34mm Oyster Perpetual and Date will be discontinued.

- Datejust II in steel and steel and white gold are discontinued and will be replaced by the Datejust 41. The jubilee bracelet will be an option on the Datejust 41 and will have the same oyster clasp that the yellow/steel and everose/steel Datejust 41s already have.
Humm I get the 26mm for sure. Straps on other pro series, if their research shows it is wanted... maybe, discontinuing models is a well thought out decision that is often met with resistance from loyal customers but might happen. In any event- we will see in March.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
Old 8 January 2017, 02:28 PM   #67
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Cool
Old 8 January 2017, 02:32 PM   #68
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
Thx for info op.
Old 8 January 2017, 02:35 PM   #69
havingagoodtime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 / 16570
Is the OP being truthful? I would say yes. Is the relayed info accurate? Somewhat likely. Do I believe the SD4K is being discontinued? Not a chance.
Old 8 January 2017, 02:36 PM   #70
mactruck
"TRF" Member

I totally believe this. When I tried on the SD4K I immediately hated it. From lug to lug it's too short. The SubC wears bigger. This watch should be a 42mm. If they go 42mm it will be the perfect watch and that's exactly what I told my AD and he totally agreed so in my opinion it would do them well to replace that model with a 42mm version. Would be the perfect lineup. The DeepSea must stay for the big guys and and the subC for almost anyone but the SD4K should be for the folks who want a larger watch but can't handle the DeepSea.
Old 8 January 2017, 02:38 PM   #71
Meme-Dweller
Banned

Watch: Meme-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactruck View Post
I totally believe this. When I tried on the SD4K I immediately hated it. From lug to lug it's too short. The SubC wears bigger. This watch should be a 42mm. If they go 42mm it will be the perfect watch and that's exactly what I told my AD and he totally agreed so in my opinion it would do them well to replace that model with a 42mm version. Would be the perfect lineup.
Thank the watch lords that you don't work for the Rolex product design department! The SD4K is perfect minus the awkward end link being taller than the lugs
Old 8 January 2017, 02:46 PM   #72
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
i have my 116600 so haven't a care in the world

+1
Old 8 January 2017, 02:47 PM   #73
mactruck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme-Dweller View Post
The SD4K is perfect minus the awkward end link being taller than the lugs
Maybe for you and a few select people but the hardest watch to get right now is a deepsea especially a deep blue. The SD4K is sitting in ADs all day long. My ADs have had them for months in stock. The higher price, combined with how it sits high and wears small has turned off many buyers. It's not a terrible watch, it's just that the SubC and deepsea are better options.
Old 8 January 2017, 03:09 PM   #74
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe for you and a few select people but the hardest watch to get right now is a deepsea especially a deep blue. The SD4K is sitting in ADs all day long. My ADs have had them for months in stock. The higher price, combined with how it sits high and wears small has turned off many buyers. It's not a terrible watch, it's just that the SubC and deepsea are better options.
There's a deepsea for sale right now in NYC pre owned like new, green hang tag so it can't be too old. His asking price $7500 box/papers! So I wouldn't say deepsea is too hard to get either, James Cameron may be tougher.
Old 8 January 2017, 03:12 PM   #75
JLM3
"TRF" Member

Watch: blusylvx2blnrsmpbb
Sd4k,26mm date just, yachtmaster plat dial and white Milgauss have been discounted from what I have heard also but does anyone really know if its true..lol
Old 8 January 2017, 03:59 PM   #76
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Maybe for you and a few select people but the hardest watch to get right now is a deepsea especially a deep blue.

I know of two sitting in cases within an hour from my house. Let me know when you find some 116500s laying around.
Old 8 January 2017, 06:59 PM   #77
cmcm3
"TRF" Member

I don't see Rolex celebrating the Dweller's 50th birthday by discontinuing it. What kind of birthday present would that be? Imagine we did that with people!! "Happy birthday Dad! Look, we're taking you to Switzerland! Where are we staying? Oh, just a little place called Dignitas..."

They MIGHT do a model update/replacement. I could see that.
Old 8 January 2017, 07:37 PM   #78
HoboDxb
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
I don't see Rolex celebrating the Dweller's 50th birthday by discontinuing it. What kind of birthday present would that be? Imagine we did that with people!! "Happy birthday Dad! Look, we're taking you to Switzerland! Where are we staying? Oh, just a little place called Dignitas..."

They MIGHT do a model update/replacement. I could see that.
lmfao
Old 8 January 2017, 07:41 PM   #79
Jocke

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
We got this every year and I think Baselworld should be in May instead so we can post the Rolex news Apr 1.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Old 8 January 2017, 07:42 PM   #80
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Didn't Gerardo meet some high level Rolex USA dude who said that no one knows what Rolex intends to do except five guys at the head of the company? I'm guessing the Rolex USA sales rep attending this store isn't one of those five.
Old 8 January 2017, 07:43 PM   #81
Jocke

At least the header should say 99% so the OP have something that saves him.

Old 8 January 2017, 07:43 PM   #82
R G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
Never understood this logic. Why does it appeal to you that they discontinue a model that you report to love??

Do you think it will somehow increase your "investment"? If that's the reason I hope that you have a significantly more diversified portfolio.

Do you simply want to deny others the same opportunity? If that's the reason it's hardly in keeping with the overall spirit the watch aficionados that frequent these forums.

Lastly, is the watch that you love insured? If so, how would you plan on replacing it if it were ever lost or stolen? Presumably you'd accept a used watch as a substitute, because with its discontinuation that's all that would ultimately be available to you.

I personally hate to see a model discontinued, for all of the above reasons, but somehow I often read posts like yours where some seem to relish the prospect of a watch discontinued. I'm just trying to figure out why?

However you cut it, and whether you like it or not. when something is rare or has been discontinued it creates More of a demand. Existing owners feel more privileged to own one.

Examples; Why are Daytona's so rare? Because they are in limited supply. Rolex know (as any company that markets well) that this creates even more demand. How many new Daytona owners have you seen posting on here? It's normal.

Man seeking a rare classic one of a kind car. How many times have you seen something being promoted as 'rare'?

Clearly people go for this and buy in to it. It's human nature I'm afraid.
Old 8 January 2017, 07:44 PM   #83
Jocke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Didn't Gerardo meet some high level Rolex USA dude who said that no one knows what Rolex intends to do except five guys at the head of the company? I'm guessing the Rolex USA sales rep attending this store isn't one of those five.
And if so I believe he will say nothing.

Old 8 January 2017, 07:53 PM   #84
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
However you cut it, and whether you like it or not. when something is rare or has been discontinued it creates More of a demand. Existing owners feel more privileged to own one.

Examples; Why are Daytona's so rare? Because they are in limited supply. Rolex know (as any company that markets well) that this creates even more demand. How many new Daytona owners have you seen posting on here? It's normal.

Man seeking a rare classic one of a kind car. How many times have you seen something being promoted as 'rare'?

Clearly people go for this and buy in to it. It's human nature I'm afraid.
Not true at all. Demand is based entirely on desirability. Rare makes desirable pieces more valuable, it doesn't make undesirable pieces desirable.

Desirability is based on intangible traits that are very often quite difficult to predict. There is no certainty that a discontinued model will become desirable. There are many old Rolex models that aren't desirable and don't bring premium pricing.

Add to which, no modern model is rare.
Old 8 January 2017, 08:02 PM   #85
regnant
"TRF" Member

I don't think Sea Dweller 116600 will be discontinued it will rather receive some tweaks as aforementioned here by some forum members. May be it will get a new reference number too.
I have a Sea Dweller 116600 and it seems to sell more than I thought. Deep Sea D Dial must be the one that would discontinue but not now
Old 8 January 2017, 08:26 PM   #86
R G
Banned

** 100% confirmed Basel info & discontinued models info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Not true at all. Demand is based entirely on desirability. Rare makes desirable pieces more valuable, it doesn't make undesirable pieces desirable.

Desirability is based on intangible traits that are very often quite difficult to predict. There is no certainty that a discontinued model will become desirable. There are many old Rolex models that aren't desirable and don't bring premium pricing.

Add to which, no modern model is rare.

I think I'll have to disagree with you there, but thanks for your take.

I'm not talking about speculating which modern models will become rare, so your whole last paragraph is lost I'm afraid.

I'm merely saying that when something, whatever it is, becomes rare, yes it becomes more valuable, but my point was - many people instinctively want what they can't have. Fact, hence my reference to the Daytona - limited supply but massive demand. Stirs up even more interest.

Psychology 101.
Old 8 January 2017, 08:44 PM   #87
Winnie Bloo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the GBP fall.
What ever happens we won't be able to do a "monkeys" about it.

Enjoy what you have and try and get the ones you desire

What more can you say?

"Simples"
Old 8 January 2017, 09:21 PM   #88
Marcus09
"TRF" Member

I heard my AD telling me about the SD4000 that it might be replaced by a newer 42mm model so that it can sit between the 40mm sub and the 44mm Deep Sea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 8 January 2017, 09:21 PM   #89
Abdullah71601
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R G View Post
I think I'll have to disagree with you there, but thanks for your take.

I'm not talking about speculating which modern models will become rare, so your whole last paragraph is lost I'm afraid.

I'm merely saying that when something, whatever it is, becomes rare, yes it becomes more valuable, but my point was - many people instinctively want what they can't have. Fact, hence my reference to the Daytona - limited supply but massive demand. Stirs up even more interest.

Psychology 101.
The discussion in this thread is about modern watches, and you said "However you cut it, and whether you like it or not. when something is rare or has been discontinued it creates More of a demand. Existing owners feel more privileged to own one."

Rarity does not correlate to value. Desirability correlates to value. If the watches were sufficiently desirable to warrant increased value Rolex would not be discontinuing them in the first place.

Business 101.
Old 8 January 2017, 09:49 PM   #90
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
And if so I believe he will say nothing.
Closed Thread