The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 7 June 2013, 06:24 PM   #1
rnrmbs
"TRF" Member

15400 quality issues?

Hi there,

I'm very happy with my 15400, it's a stunner!

Having said this, the thing has some issues that worries me. Bought it a month or so ago fresh from the AD. When I set the date only the crown seems to get stuck while turning it. Turning it slightly back and forth will solve it, but still. When I set the time, the second hand will hack, but when pushing the crown towards the case the second hand will not move. Only after i shake the watch a bit. And it runs +15sec/24h.

I will wait a while to break it in, it's on rotation so I don't wear it often. I will wear it for the next month or so and wait what happens. If is doesn't get better I will sell it. I'm not going to wait 6 months for a repair on a brand new watch. Besides that, heard enough horror stories about AP's after sales.
Old 7 June 2013, 07:25 PM   #2
jojosnr
"TRF" Member

I have yet to experience the crown problems, but mine running at +20 to 25 / 24 hrs. Now in the service centre. Mine is one week old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrmbs View Post
Hi there,

I'm very happy with my 15400, it's a stunner!

Having said this, the thing has some issues that worries me. Bought it a month or so ago fresh from the AD. When I set the date only the crown seems to get stuck while turning it. Turning it slightly back and forth will solve it, but still. When I set the time, the second hand will hack, but when pushing the crown towards the case the second hand will not move. Only after i shake the watch a bit. And it runs +15sec/24h.

I will wait a while to break it in, it's on rotation so I don't wear it often. I will wear it for the next month or so and wait what happens. If is doesn't get better I will sell it. I'm not going to wait 6 months for a repair on a brand new watch. Besides that, heard enough horror stories about AP's after sales.
jojosnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2013, 08:57 PM   #3
lovej
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15400
mine has been in service for 3w.

Getting it back tomorrow - will report back.
lovej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2013, 09:04 PM   #4
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
It seems that the 3120 movement runs fast if you're an active person....perhaps your situation also, maybe or maybe not but worth a visit to an AP service center or ad.
http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=298343
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Isn't it the same exact movement as the 15300? As such, I would think whatever incidents are reported are the definite exception, since the movement has been around for some time.

Unless somehow the extra weight of the bigger watch is throwing it out of balance and AP didn't account for that? (I have zero technical knowledge to know if that's even possible - just a pure guess ).
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2013, 10:02 PM   #6
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I also encounter the issue of the date wheel getting kind of "stucked" when I want to change the date. I solve this issue by setting the watch to 6 o'clock before I change the date. I did not encounter the problem of the second hand not moving immediately after I have screw back the crown.

However, I have always suspect my 15400 tends to run a little faster. This AP is not my daily beater so It hasn't been an issue. Seeing this thread I will try to time the watch to check it's accuracy.
benlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2013, 10:19 PM   #7
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I also encounter the issue of the date wheel getting kind of "stucked" when I want to change the date. I solve this issue by setting the watch to 6 o'clock before I change the date. I did not encounter the problem of the second hand not moving immediately after I have screw back the crown.

However, I have always suspect my 15400 tends to run a little faster. This AP is not my daily beater so It hasn't been an issue. Seeing this thread I will try to time the watch to check it's accuracy.
Correct - you should be changing the date only when the hour hand is in the bottom half of the watch
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2013, 10:26 PM   #8
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Besides that, heard enough horror stories about AP's after sales.
In what way?

Their service center has always nothing but prompt and courteous to me. Watches (no matter the brand) are subject to service every now and again. I would not say AP is exclusive or called out for service more than other brands.

I cannot count how many AP's I have owned, and never a problem one with any of them. And I almost always have one on day or night.

I do hope your issue gets resolved asap--I know if you send it in they will fix an issue promptly.

Albeit, it's never fun though having to send in a brand new watch.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2013, 10:28 PM   #9
pingpong
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
Correct - you should be changing the date only when the hour hand is in the bottom half of the watch
interesting... 6am or 6pm or doesn't matter at all?

cheers
pingpong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2013, 10:52 PM   #10
simongpaez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Some
Quote:
When I set the time, the second hand will hack, but when pushing the crown towards the case the second hand will not move. Only after i shake the watch a bit.
Is it fully winded? I remember having that issue once or twice after not wearing the 15400 for a while, 40 turns later it was ok.
simongpaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 June 2013, 10:53 PM   #11
simongpaez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
interesting... 6am or 6pm or doesn't matter at all?

cheers
It dosen't matter.
simongpaez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2013, 12:47 AM   #12
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
If you have any doubts, just send it in to APSC under warranty. I've always had excellent service from them... probably the best of any brand so far.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2013, 01:14 AM   #13
peter79
"TRF" Member

The crown of 44 ss is not as sturdy as 114060, must be careful then.
peter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2013, 01:48 AM   #14
Bigbadbns
"TRF" Member

Watch: out now!
APSC in Clearwater is awesome! I sent my RGRC in for smudges under the crystal and they were very prompt and fast turn around. They even gave you a super cool traveling case which I've been using daily.

Can't say the same about Richemont group though...
Bigbadbns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2013, 02:30 AM   #15
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hi there,

My experience has been the opposite. I had an issue with the crown on my two week old SS Diver. It popped out in my hand. I sent it in promptly and received first class service from AP all the way. I got an email detailing the condition of the watch the same day they received it. They emailed me the next day after a tech had a chance to look at it and told me it would be a quick fix under warranty. i had the watch back on two weeks time. Best customer service I have ever received. From then on my Diver worked great.

Contrast that with the two less than stellar experiences I have had with the Richemont group. One Panerai and one IWC. Both under warranty. I didn't hear back from them that they received my watch or what was wrong with it. With the Panerai I had to call and leave msgs with a VM b/c no one ever answered the phone. It took 4 weeks to find out what happened and then 4 months to get my watch back. The IWC I got word a little sooner, I think it was 3.5 weeks but was told my less than year old BP would not be fixed under warranty and I owed them $600. They said the case had a BIG dent in it and the watch had experienced a severe shock. I nearly fell off my chair laughing b/c I knew nothing of the sort had occurred. After 2 weeks of many many phone calls, I was finally told they would cover the tab. I got the watch back a month later with no paperwork, no receipt, nothing. Oh and there was no dent, not even a scratch. the case was perfect, just like the day I sent it in.

I hope you get it sorted. AP service in Clearwater is exceptional in my opinion. I know you are in a different country but would think and hope AP service would be consistent across the board. Good luck!
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2013, 02:44 AM   #16
diver2012
"TRF" Member

Watch: N/A
Quote:
Besides that, heard enough horror stories about AP's after sales.
I would totally disagree - I have heard only fantastic things about their after service care and this was partly why I bought my watch.
diver2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2013, 03:06 AM   #17
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
My 15400 is flawless and trouble-free. I have also heard that AP service is fantastic, should the need ever arise:)
Old 8 June 2013, 12:43 PM   #18
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
My experience has been the opposite. I had an issue with the crown on my two week old SS Diver. It popped out in my hand. I sent it in promptly and received first class service from AP all the way. I got an email detailing the condition of the watch the same day they received it. They emailed me the next day after a tech had a chance to look at it and told me it would be a quick fix under warranty. i had the watch back on two weeks time. Best customer service I have ever received. From then on my Diver worked great.
I have also received excellent service from Clearwater
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2013, 12:50 AM   #19
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
APSC is always great! No complains here.

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2013, 04:08 AM   #20
FightOnSC!
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP. Rolex. The end
My forged carbon diver has the same 3120 movement and I had send it in.
I even made a thread about it.

It has an issue called "rebanking", basically the spring is too strong so it must be replaced with a weaker one.

After 2/3 weeks at Clearwater it came home, keeping almost perfect time. I've seriously only gained half a second over the course of 4 days. Pretty damn good!

My SS Diver keeps time fine from the get go.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
FightOnSC! is offline   Reply With Quote