The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 September 2014, 11:25 PM   #1
Frogdog
"TRF" Member

Watch: u talknbout Willis
1680 white dial in a red case

I've come across threads discussing the negatives of placing a red dial in a white case and it makes complete sense. However, what is the impact to collectability or value of having a white 1680 dial in a red range case? Philippe at Exotic Watches has a georgeous example that admittedly falls into this category and it's really speaking to me!

I was hoping some of our experienced collectors could provide some insight on this topic.

Below is a link to the watch in question.

http://www.exoticwatches.net/img.php...2-00155deeb801

http://www.exoticwatches.net/img.php...2-00155deeb801
Frogdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2014, 11:39 PM   #2
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Many red dials were replaced by service dials when the time came. This looks like a tritium service dial (similar to mine). Whether yours originally came with a red dial, I couldn't tell you but maybe some experts here can. It looks nice.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2014, 11:43 PM   #3
Frogdog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanddds View Post
Many red dials were replaced by service dials when the time came. This looks like a tritium service dial (similar to mine). Whether yours originally came with a red dial, I couldn't tell you but maybe some experts here can. It looks nice.
Thanks for the info. I'm sorry, I should have mentioned the serial is 235XXXX! He clearly states it is a red range 1680 with a white dial.
Old 6 September 2014, 12:15 AM   #4
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Value wise the difference is roughly the price of a loose red dial (count on USD 3k) minus the value of the white dial. Maybe a little bit more, maybe a little bit less.
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2014, 01:10 AM   #5
JohnBaker3
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Red Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
Value wise the difference is roughly the price of a loose red dial (count on USD 3k) minus the value of the white dial. Maybe a little bit more, maybe a little bit less.
+1

The dial swap is easy enough but you would still have a nice watch that has a dial that didn't come with the watch originally.

I would spend the time and effort tracking down a nice original Red Sub.

Old 6 September 2014, 01:40 AM   #6
southtexas
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
To me it would be worth much less, the time, risk and effort to source and swap the dials, then sell the white one, would factor heavily into my calculation.

Unless the price is a great bargain, I'd take the time to find a correct one (if you're looking to end up with a red).

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2014, 02:58 AM   #7
evilfij
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Daytona Panda
If I could find out the magic trick to getting RSC to give me a red service dial, I would buy something like that, fit a junk genuine rolex dial, send it off to RSC and ask for the luminova red service dial.
evilfij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2014, 04:27 AM   #8
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Finding a correct red Sub dial is not an easy task. Finding a nice, correct red Sub dial compounds the search.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2014, 04:27 AM   #9
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Well: you could try buying a scrap red dial and sending out the watch for a service. Somebody posted a pic last year which stated that a lumi red dial can be ordered on exchange base only. Problem might be that your service will/might cost you USD 2k if not more.
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2014, 08:00 AM   #10
Frogdog
"TRF" Member

All good information guys.....I greatly appreciate it.

I apologize....I believe was unclear with what I was asking.

I would keep the watch as is with the white dial. I was just concerned that should I ever decide to sell the watch, would it be considered a parts watch due to the mismatched white dial? Is this looked upon in a similar way as placing a red dial in a white range case?

Again, sorry for the confusion. I'm trying to understand all of the ins and outs before making a decision.
Old 6 September 2014, 09:28 AM   #11
PoderEsBueno
"TRF" Member

I've seen it before on the site. It looks attractive as it is, nice creamy patina, hands, case, pearl etc .. You might have some problems selling it though as the buyers always looking for all original condition pieces, it might not interest many hobbyist. Other than that if you just want to enjoy it and if it doesn't bother you i don't see any problems as long as it is priced fairly. Rolex serviced the dial at some point, like replacing the insert or some other part not functioning right. Good luck with your desicion
PoderEsBueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2014, 09:59 AM   #12
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogdog View Post
. . .
I would keep the watch as is with the white dial. I was just concerned that should I ever decide to sell the watch, would it be considered a parts watch due to the mismatched white dial? Is this looked upon in a similar way as placing a red dial in a white range case?

Again, sorry for the confusion. I'm trying to understand all of the ins and outs before making a decision.
No, a 1680 in good condition is never going to be a "parts watch".

A white dial in a red serial range is not a "mismatched" watch, or unusual in any way. Many, many red dials were properly changed to white dials during service - that's why an original red dial is worth so much...
Old 6 September 2014, 10:11 AM   #13
Frogdog
"TRF" Member

Great. Thanks again guys! 👍
Old 6 September 2014, 06:52 PM   #14
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
In my estimation, pricing would be similar to a regular white dial 1680 in comparable condition. Maybe marginally less due to the service dial, but difference would be negligible IMHO. Of course a white dial 1680 in top condition is going to bring a premium, but we all know how few and far between these are.

Buy it and enjoy it if the price is right

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2014, 07:09 PM   #15
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
No, a 1680 in good condition is never going to be a "parts watch".

A white dial in a red serial range is not a "mismatched" watch, or unusual in any way. Many, many red dials were properly changed to white dials during service - that's why an original red dial is worth so much...
Spot on.

An interesting option might be trying to source a RED luminova service dial. Not easy, but they exist.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote