The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 4 September 2019, 06:44 AM   #1
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN with BCL
Getting rid of the ones that you don’t want anymore

I can’t be the only one who has a modest collection of seemingly valueless watches that are laying around. (Examples: movado quartz, Oris (well, anything made by them), new longines, etc). How do you sell these? I can’t get the usual suspects to even make a low ball offer. Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JDsnewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 06:49 AM   #2
toneafficianado
2024 Pledge Member

eBay works for this. I've never failed to actually sell a "not a popular make/model "watch on there.
You won't get what you're hoping for though but do it anyway and put all the measly $ towards a ROLEX! You will immediately feel great.
Quality not quantity is a good adage.
toneafficianado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 06:53 AM   #3
Syed117
"TRF" Member

Oris and Longines are perfectly respectable brands that make fantastic watches.

Just give to people who might appreciate them. Will feel better than getting a few bucks.
Old 4 September 2019, 08:03 AM   #4
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post

Just give to people who might appreciate them. Will feel better than getting a few bucks.
This. Oris is now independent and one of the best values on the market, price to quality.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 08:30 AM   #5
cleanupinaisle3
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR, DJ41, BB58
I like what Oris is doing lately but in years past found them pretty forgettable. Now that they're independent they're on the up and up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Bay 58 Black
Speedmaster Professional
cleanupinaisle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 08:35 AM   #6
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This. It's not worth the effort to squeeze out some money selling these. I just gave them to family and friends who would actually wear them.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 08:36 AM   #7
cleanupinaisle3
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR, DJ41, BB58
I like what Oris is doing lately but in years past found them pretty forgettable. Now that they're independent they're on the up and up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black Bay 58 Black
Speedmaster Professional
cleanupinaisle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 08:37 AM   #8
Syed117
"TRF" Member

The snobbery is the most annoying thing.

This is why Rolex owners tend to have such a poor reputation.
Old 4 September 2019, 09:02 AM   #9
ddubb
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This. I have a ton of more modest watches that I amassed as I was first getting into watches. A bunch of micro brand stuff. I ended up gifting several to family who will wear them, and keeping quite a few others. The fun part has been watching one of the giftees now getting more interested in watches (not sure if I should feel happy or sorry for him lol). Regarding the ones I kept, I still occasionally will pull a couple into rotation. And, they serve as a reminder of my WIS journey.
ddubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 09:08 AM   #10
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Um..

I didn't mean to come off as snooty. I just put about 600 dollars into my Oris Big Crown (CLA, new strap, new butterfly clasp) etc. I did this because I like the watch and I figured that others would also appreciate it for what it is. It's kind of a unicorn (Oris big Crown, Pointer Date, Sub second hand and the rotor isn't red).

I started cleaning out the safe where I keep my watches and I thought about selling it. The usual places to sell a watch are only interested in one brand (Rolex). It's not just the watches that I initially mentioned. Try selling a Panerai. IF they make an offer, you are looking at 30 cents on the dollar.

I was just a little surprised that I didn't even get an offer from Bobs, Watchbox, Govberg. I did get kind letters stating that at this time Oris isn't in demand and as such, they didn't want to invest in this particular watch.

Im perfectly willing to give this watch to someone who would enjoy it. But, as we all know, kids today have no interest in watches. Its going back into the safe to be reserved for those times when I am told to wear something less flashy.
Old 4 September 2019, 10:07 AM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsnewwatch View Post
I can’t be the only one who has a modest collection of seemingly valueless watches that are laying around. (Examples: movado quartz, Oris (well, anything made by them), new longines, etc). How do you sell these? I can’t get the usual suspects to even make a low ball offer. Any tips?

no idea... but sounds like you will be popular here. whatever you do you are not allowed to make money... ever. Or the pitchforks come out.

You will lose a boatload on those

I suppose ebay is your best bet. Those watches are pretty nice to almost everyone and people buy way worse on eBay every day. My wife successfully sold extension cords, a potted plant, a random lamp shade, and a remote control we didn't even know what it controlled on gumtree before we moved out of the UK. People buy anything. So there is always that or craigslist.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 11:01 AM   #12
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I was in your position few years ago... Alpina, edox, tag Heuer F1, Oris small second, Oris deepth gauge..... Beautiful watches but at some point I was feeling I need to have an up grade on my collection.... I sell all that watches on ebay and in local sellers in my country.... Works good at some point... Because ebay lost one Oris.. Took 3 months to recieve the refund

Now I have the collection that I want for years

Attached some photos with all respect
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_02082019_221539_(1100_x_1100_píxel).jpg (264.3 KB, 454 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_02082019_221850_(950_x_950_píxel).jpg (279.5 KB, 453 views)
time_and_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 11:03 AM   #13
e dantes
2024 Pledge Member

I sold a number of "affordables" to fund my 16570 and Glidelock bracelet. These sales were on a more general watch forum. It can take a while but that is a good place to find people who appreciate many watch brands.
e dantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 11:23 AM   #14
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_and_cars View Post
I was in your position few years ago... Alpina, edox, tag Heuer F1, Oris small second, Oris deepth gauge..... Beautiful watches but at some point I was feeling I need to have an up grade on my collection.... I sell all that watches on ebay and in local sellers in my country.... Works good at some point... Because ebay lost one Oris.. Took 3 months to recieve the refund

Now I have the collection that I want for years

Attached some photos with all respect

How do you like the Omega GMT? I was torn between that and the Rolex.
Old 4 September 2019, 01:17 PM   #15
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:

I agree.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2019, 09:34 PM   #16
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:

Ebay
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 08:41 AM   #17
SOG DIVER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680Red-551214060M
Having bought a 1680 red Submariner on leave in Hong Kong, I was amazed at
what a 1969-71 50 yr old tool watch would now fetch. Original owner.

A Steinhart Ocean 39 Explorer has a tough ETA 2824-2 caliber engine that closely resembles the 5513 Explorer 1960s dial.
But-$500 in 1970 would have bought you in Hong Kong= 5 Rolex 5513s OR
a Rolex 1380 red Submariner, a GMT, a 5512 and a 5513.

Your modest Rolex collection would now allow you to keep one watch and buy a used Porsche 911.

Economics lesson now concluded.
SOG DIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2019, 09:06 AM   #18
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Ebay...don't expect to get much though. List them around the fall season and they should sell if you are realistic with your pricing.

The funny thing I have learned is buying Rolex is less expensive than brands like Tudor due to resale.
Old 10 September 2019, 11:38 PM   #19
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Getting rid of the ones that you don’t want anymore

I have a tag heuer (fashion watch) on a site now for sale. I bought it used (box and papers) for $1500.00 four years ago. I’m pretty sure it’s not going to sell, or I’m going to just accept 300 for it and move on with my life. Lesson learned. Spend money on watches that are inherently valuable. Not cracking under pressure doesn’t imply value :(

Old 11 September 2019, 01:12 AM   #20
ts3
"TRF" Member

I have had a hard time getting a reasonable price for mid-range stuff on ebay, say IWC sports watches valued between 2k and 4k, and ended up selling to pre-owned dealers. Auction results for mid-end stuff I have been watching on ebay were also mostly underwhelming. Low-end stuff and some high-end accessories I auctioned off on ebay for fun.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2019, 09:53 PM   #21
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Ok, auction over! I’m walking away with just under 300 dollars for a tag heuer chrono. Lesson learned.

Old 12 September 2019, 01:59 AM   #22
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Keep in mind that 5 years ago you couldn't make money on ANY watch that you bought at full retail except for a Daytona and, oddly enough, a few Limited Edition Panerais.
If you are only out a few thousand dollars then your education has cost less than that of most of the members of this forum. Speaking for myself, after 12 years of watch collecting I am just now getting back to break even.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 September 2019, 02:54 AM   #23
JDsnewwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Keep in mind that 5 years ago you couldn't make money on ANY watch that you bought at full retail except for a Daytona and, oddly enough, a few Limited Edition Panerais.
If you are only out a few thousand dollars then your education has cost less than that of most of the members of this forum. Speaking for myself, after 12 years of watch collecting I am just now getting back to break even.

Thanks! If for nothing else, I just paid to free up space in the safe. You win some, you lose some. Right now, I have a watch that I wanted for a very long time and I really enjoy it. The experience has been all that I expected and more. So much so, that my 116710 hasn’t been in the safe yet! Hopefully the person who got the tag heuer will get some enjoyment out of it.

Old 15 September 2019, 05:04 AM   #24
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks! If for nothing else, I just paid to free up space in the safe.
you dont put those in the safe.... you insure them and leave them visible from the front window

ive had a few that i wouldn't mind someone stealing
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote