The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 May 2019, 04:25 PM   #31
quattro100
"TRF" Member

Guys, an update. My AD politely said very very difficult. Easier to get the 5740G then this.... Also tried Taiwan AD, the bundle price is unrealistic for me (e.g., pick up a 5370 or 5270R, then we will talk.....)

I am still trying to ask nicely to my local AD about this and see what happen (maybe eventually in some different metal version). I also planned the Geneva salon factory tour next Jan to celebrate my 40th. Called the sales guys to see what I might possibility take delivery there for the special occasion. Has been politely told off (basically only dress pieces available).

How are you guys doing on ordering this piece? Any other advice?
quattro100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 05:16 PM   #32
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattro100 View Post
Guys, an update. My AD politely said very very difficult. Easier to get the 5740G then this.... Also tried Taiwan AD, the bundle price is unrealistic for me (e.g., pick up a 5370 or 5270R, then we will talk.....)

I am still trying to ask nicely to my local AD about this and see what happen (maybe eventually in some different metal version). I also planned the Geneva salon factory tour next Jan to celebrate my 40th. Called the sales guys to see what I might possibility take delivery there for the special occasion. Has been politely told off (basically only dress pieces available).

How are you guys doing on ordering this piece? Any other advice?
Few 5231Js have already been delivered in the UK but it is a very difficult watch to obtain. ADs submit the names and Rhone (UK distributor) decides who gets it. Both WOS and Boodles told me they get around 2 pieces per year as a company and small stores such as H&I, J&C get 1 every 2-3 years. I also agree, in my experience 5740G is easy to get than a 5231J. Even a small AD gets at least 1 5740G every year.
Sam Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 07:11 PM   #33
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
My AD got an allocation for 1...asked me to put my application in for this one piece... I passed

Still don’t like the case
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 09:16 PM   #34
Peter Shore
Banned

Whilst this is going to hurt the 5131 market it will give an opportunity to all those who missed out on the first round to get in on the action!!! So if you liked the 5131G and didnt get it...the 5231G cant be too far away!!!
Peter Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 12:52 AM   #35
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Shore View Post
Whilst this is going to hurt the 5131 market it will give an opportunity to all those who missed out on the first round to get in on the action!!! So if you liked the 5131G and didnt get it...the 5231G cant be too far away!!!
Rhone had a "policy" of not allocating more than one enamel world timer (either, G,J, R or P) per one client. I wonder whether they would continue with their "policy" and would not allocate a 5231J (subsequently G, R etc) for people who already own enamel world timers.
Old 22 May 2019, 01:48 AM   #36
Peter Shore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Philip View Post
Rhone had a "policy" of not allocating more than one enamel world timer (either, G,J, R or P) per one client. I wonder whether they would continue with their "policy" and would not allocate a 5231J (subsequently G, R etc) for people who already own enamel world timers.
Yes that is their policy however well know numerous collectors with one in each metal and I have certainly seen collections in safes still sealed!!! I think they will look at it in a case by case basis as it is a different series
Old 22 May 2019, 07:32 AM   #37
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Yes that is their policy however well know numerous collectors with one in each metal and I have certainly seen collections in safes still sealed!!! I think they will look at it in a case by case basis as it is a different series
I think it all depends on how well some one knows Mark, Adrian and Sarah.
Old 22 May 2019, 09:16 AM   #38
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
My AD got an allocation for 1...asked me to put my application in for this one piece... I passed

Still don’t like the case
Have you asked your wife and your kids whether they like it? They might.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 09:32 AM   #39
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Have you asked your wife and your kids whether they like it? They might.
Lol. No wife only likes big sports watches...kid is happy
Old 22 May 2019, 01:50 PM   #40
Peter Shore
Banned

I cant wait for the thread when everyone argues how rare it is and how only 5 dials are made a year by special elves in a dark swiss forest and reality is PP are marketing geniuses and definately crank out more than they let on.
Old 23 May 2019, 07:21 PM   #41
quattro100
"TRF" Member

Thanks guys for your insight. At this point I can only continue to express my interest to my AD and hope that maybe by the time the 5231G or R shows up, I have a ‘stronger’ relationship with them... looking forward to see more delivery soon from some of you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
quattro100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2019, 10:29 PM   #42
Fat_ninja
Banned

Is this watch having a hard time filling the backlog? I’ve been asked again to put my name in the ring for this...

And this is after the couple of world time events ...

Surprises me a little.
Old 2 June 2019, 12:53 AM   #43
Peter Shore
Banned

Quote:
Is this watch having a hard time filling the backlog? I’ve been asked again to put my name in the ring for this...

Surprises me a little.
I do not think J is generally a very popular metal at the moment....bit like two tone watches of the 2000's
Old 2 June 2019, 01:53 AM   #44
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:

Surprises me a little.
Quote:
I do not think J is generally a very popular metal at the moment....bit like two tone watches of the 2000's
The demand is there and not all ADs are getting this piece. It will be near impossible for an average UK customer to obtain this piece. I also think J is the least popular metal at the moment.
Old 4 June 2019, 02:49 AM   #45
Peter Shore
Banned

Interesting that I was at my AD today and he has been allocated one for delivery this year and the AD in a neighbouring town as well. That makes 3 that I know of already for 2019!!!
Old 4 June 2019, 03:16 AM   #46
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
I just saw this pieces at the Geneva Salon. Lovely piece. Unfortunately, no chance with my buying history to be allocated one though and the London salon make this vividly clear to me.
Old 4 June 2019, 03:23 AM   #47
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
I just saw this pieces at the Geneva Salon. Lovely piece. Unfortunately, no chance with my buying history to be allocated one though and the London salon make this vividly clear to me.
Its okay. You have a 15407st.
Old 4 June 2019, 03:28 AM   #48
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Its okay. You have a 15407st.
Guess I better stick with AP then since PP doesn't want my business.
Old 4 June 2019, 05:29 PM   #49
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Interesting that I was at my AD today and he has been allocated one for delivery this year and the AD in a neighbouring town as well. That makes 3 that I know of already for 2019!!!
That is very interesting. When 5131/1P was launched the first batch was not delivered until the end of the year and few have already received 5231Js. Have you received your 5131/1P?
Old 4 June 2019, 07:26 PM   #50
Peter Shore
Banned

Quote:
That is very interesting. When 5131/1P was launched the first batch was not delivered until the end of the year and few have already received 5231Js. Have you received your 5131/1P?
No I am hoping the next batch which is October
Old 4 June 2019, 07:58 PM   #51
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
No I am hoping the next batch which is October
Hopefully you will get it on October. With the rate they are delivering 5231Js you may get that before the 5131P
Old 4 June 2019, 09:29 PM   #52
Peter Shore
Banned

Quote:
Hopefully you will get it on October. With the rate they are delivering 5231Js you may get that before the 5131P
I am not a fan of J....waiting for G
Old 4 June 2019, 10:03 PM   #53
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I am not a fan of J....waiting for G
Russell996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 04:55 AM   #54
S O G
"TRF" Member

Hello,

As a long time lurker I am glad to be able to register and contribute. It is good to give back to the community. TRF is one of my favorite watch forums.

My path to a 5231 is relatively short compared to others. Like many of us, I studied examples of the 5231 predecessor—the reference 5131—and of course became familiar with all the versions. The two that jumped out are the yellow and rose gold versions. The intricate wire work required to create the European continent requires a true artisan. As a matter of preference, I also prefer the map with the Americas on it. As such, I tend to lean towards the yellow gold version—it has the intricacy of the European wirework and a map of the Americas where I currently call home.

When the 5231 came out, I saw it as a reprieve as I missed the boat on the previous yellow gold version. I am glad I waited. I prefer the 5231’s font on the city disc as compared to the 5131. I also prefer the brand name on the dial as compared to the bezel. “Patek Phillippe” seems ethereal as it is floating above the enamel work. The case and lugs have that 1940s vibe that I also prefer over the 5131. With all that in consideration, I placed my order. As others have mentioned about, it was a subscription piece.

I was surprised when my local AD called me to let me know one had arrived within two months from the Basel release. As many know based on the 5131 dial variants, there is so much opportunity for variation which I am sure will be true for the 5231 as well. When you place your order, you don’t know what you are going to get and if you pass for whatever reason, you may not ever see another one. I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to look at the watch very closely. It seems that 5231 mapwork is exceptional. You can see the fine details on the Italian peninsula such as the heel of the boot. The UK and Ireland are good portrayals as well—the outlines look right. The contrast of the blue of the Mediterranean Sea is nicely done when compared to the surrounding land masses. The Scandinavian area looks precise as well. I also appreciate the accuracy of some of the other geographical features such as mountain ranges, jungles, and deserts. In general, this is a testament to craftsmanship on so many levels.

While this is not for everyone and recognize that everyone has their preference for case colors and geographical representation, I am very happy with my purchase. There is one less “pristine” 5231 confined to a plastic bag.

I would post some pictures but there are some restrictions on my account until I reach ten posts.

Thanks. S O G
S O G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 June 2019, 06:09 AM   #55
S O G
"TRF" Member

Hello,

As a long time lurker I am glad to be able to register and contribute. It is good to give back to TRF community. It is one of my favorite watch forums.
My path to a 5231 is relatively short compared to others. Like many of us, I studied examples of the 5231 predecessor—the reference 5131—and of course became familiar with all the versions. The two that jumped out are the yellow and rose gold versions. The intricate wire work required to create the European continent requires a true artisan. As a matter of preference, I also like the map with the Americas on it. As such, I tend to lean towards the yellow gold version—it has the intricacy of the European wirework and a map of the Americas where I currently call home.

When the 5231 came out, it was a reprieve as I missed the boat on the previous yellow gold version. I am glad I waited. I prefer the 5231’s font on the city disc as compared to the 5131. I also prefer the brand name on the dial as compared to the bezel. “Patek Phillippe” seems ethereal as it is floating above the enamel work. The case and lugs have that 1940s vibe that I also prefer over the 5131. With all that in consideration, I placed my order. As others have mentioned, it was a subscription piece.

I was surprised when my local AD called me to let me know one had arrived within two months from the Basel release. As many know based on the 5131 dial variants, there is so much opportunity for variation which I am sure will be true for the 5231 as well. When you place your order, you don’t know what you are going to get and if you pass for whatever reason, you may not ever see another one. I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to look at the watch very closely. It seems that 5231 mapwork is exceptional. You can see the fine details on the Italian peninsula such as the heel of the boot. The UK and Ireland are good portrayals as well—the outlines look right. The contrast of the blue of the Mediterranean Sea is nicely done when compared to the surrounding land masses. The Scandinavian area looks precise as well. I also appreciate the accuracy of some of the other geographical features such as mountain ranges, jungles, and deserts. In general, this is a testament to craftsmanship on so many levels.

While this is not for everyone and recognize that there are differences of opinion for case material, I am very happy with my purchase. There is one less “pristine” 5231 confined to a plastic bag. Since this is my first post, I can’t post pictures right now due to the ten submission restriction.

Thanks. S O G
Old 8 June 2019, 09:07 AM   #56
S O G
"TRF" Member

Finally...a couple of pictures. :)

And here is a comparison to a 5131J--not mine. To be fair, I know that they vary and this may not be the best comparison.

Hopefully these pictures convey what I was saying earlier.
Old 15 June 2019, 02:54 PM   #57
watch_fan
Banned

Waiting for my 5321J already I have 5131 G, R and P
watch_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 June 2019, 12:25 AM   #58
S O G
"TRF" Member

I am having issues posting pictures... hopefully this works.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7FB1175F-4BAE-41BB-8C73-4B07085BBB8E.jpeg (92.7 KB, 238 views)
Old 23 June 2019, 12:43 AM   #59
Aquaman
Banned

Sorry if this comment has already been said on the thread before

But I recently spoke to someone high up at Patek, we can all ask for it, but they want to know your onto Patek for the long haul, so to speak

Not a to bit fly by the pants flipper etc

And on my travels I've not seen any yet in the windows of the greys

Unlike the old 5131s which are in abundance, especially down burlington Arcade
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2019, 03:43 AM   #60
Sam Philip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
Sorry if this comment has already been said on the thread before

But I recently spoke to someone high up at Patek, we can all ask for it, but they want to know your onto Patek for the long haul, so to speak

Not a to bit fly by the pants flipper etc

And on my travels I've not seen any yet in the windows of the greys

Unlike the old 5131s which are in abundance, especially down burlington Arcade
Did you speak to M or A? I asked my AD for a 5231 and he asked me to speak to M or A.

Tags
5231j-001