The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 June 2020, 05:17 AM   #1
DoubleDream
"TRF" Member

Submariner 5513 Lollipop Mk III hold their value?

Hi, Y'all,

I've been intensely looking for a 5513 Lollipop or Mk III. It happens to fall within my birth year, and I'm in love with the oversized hour plots – all of which almost touch the minute markers!

I'm relatively new to the vintage Rolex world. Here are my questions to the experts here:

1) The prices range from $17-20k for all original, excellent condition. These prices seem a bit higher than other 5513's from a few years back and even some 'meters first' examples. Is the current high demand (just a temporary phase), or are these generally viewed as a highly collectible piece?

2) How much does a ghost bezel add to the value of the watch vs. standard dark color bezel?

3) I'm narrowing down to these two pieces. I understand most of these examples do not have much patina on the dial bc they are from 1979-80. Anything specific to access value other than verifying the period correctness, originality, and dealer reputation? I'd read through HODINKEE articles and Beaumont Miller II's 5513mattedial site but not a lot of information on the collectability of these pieces.

See attachments for two examples. Sorry for pixelation, but this forum needs to update their image upload size limitations.

Thanks,
DD
Attached Images
File Type: png 5513 lollipop.png (206.5 KB, 152 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2020-06-17 11.42.33.png (288.0 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by DoubleDream; 18 June 2020 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: Adding more details
DoubleDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2020, 06:29 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Nobody can honestly tell you whether the current high demand of any particular sub-reference will be maintained or if any watch will hold its value, or go up or down. People will opine, but they really have no idea. The best way to buy a vintage watch that will go up in value is to get it for a bargain price, and that's not easy for a newbie.

Some people like ghost bezels, but some people think they are just faded. In general, it's a dealer-hype word that doesn't add much value. Most people like things to be in good condition, so a faded bezel isn't necessarily a big plus. Decide for yourself what floats your boat.

To understand value, study private sales and auctions religiously for 6 months. Keep records. Become an expert.

Or ... if you like it, and it fits within your budget, just buy one from a reputable dealer and don't worry so much about a few grand. If you love the watch, you'll forget about the purchase price soon enough. Especially since it's meant to be a special "birth-year" purchase.
Old 18 June 2020, 07:24 AM   #3
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post

Or ... if you like it, and it fits within your budget, just buy one from a reputable dealer and don't worry so much about a few grand. If you love the watch, you'll forget about the purchase price soon enough. Especially since it's meant to be a special "birth-year" purchase.
Great advice and personally what I usually subscribe too....going to follow this thread though, since I am casually in the market for a 5513 as well...casually.
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote