The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 July 2020, 03:41 AM   #91
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
My wife, who has smaller wrists than you, dailies a hulk.

Go for the Sub.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 04:05 AM   #92
RollinMoses
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYG1121 View Post
I predict you will get the other within 6 months of the first. At least that's what happened to me when I started and then all downhill from there.. so don't worry because it is a win-win!
I think this is dead on. You will have picked up the second and already be making the justifications to yourself and any significant other for third, forth and fifth before it hits your wrist.
RollinMoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 04:15 AM   #93
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
One thing about the sub... Do not underestimate the usefulness of the timing bezel. I use mine all the time. Much handier than having to mess with your phone for things that don't have to be accurate to the second.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 04:39 AM   #94
bay-dweller
"TRF" Member

36mm watches and PM watches both have poor resale value.
For under $13k, you can get a 36mm Day Date (President) in white gold with bracelet.
I would go this route instead of spending $9k on a SS DJ.
If I had small wrists, that's what I would do.
bay-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 04:44 AM   #95
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick006 View Post
Is the “Doc” part of the subject line relevant? Or have you acquired a doctor complex at the dawn of your career?

Kinda does as it's a big accomplishment for the OP as this stage of his life. He's done w/ his fellowship. That is hard and takes 3-4 years AFTER 3-4 years of Internal medicine residency, 4 years of med school, 4 years of undergrad, etc...
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 05:57 AM   #96
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
My allergist used to wear a DJ which I liked; he decided it was too old school and started wearing an Apple Watch; I switched allergists. He was an incompetent money grubber which is why I switched. Not because of the watch.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 05:58 AM   #97
Mick006
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline View Post
Kinda does as it's a big accomplishment for the OP as this stage of his life. He's done w/ his fellowship. That is hard and takes 3-4 years AFTER 3-4 years of Internal medicine residency, 4 years of med school, 4 years of undergrad, etc...
I’m not minimizing the accomplishment. It should be celebrated for sure. But lots of people post first Rolex threads and almost none (one) gratuitously post their profession in the subject line.

Occasionally someone asks whether a certain watch would be out of place in a certain profession; too flash, etc. Not here. Just some discussion about the relative sizes of a sub/DJ.

I just found it interesting. YMMV.
Mick006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 05:59 AM   #98
JRell
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
My allergist used to wear a DJ which I liked; he decided it was too old school and started wearing an Apple Watch; I switched allergists. He was an incompetent money grubber which is why I switched. Not because of the watch.
Lol! Made me laugh!
JRell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 01:13 PM   #99
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
True. I hear you about bragging as some members do here with watch and car collections.

If it's any consolation, fellows don’t make not much being a M.D. and work 70+ hour weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick006 View Post
I’m not minimizing the accomplishment. It should be celebrated for sure. But lots of people post first Rolex threads and almost none (one) gratuitously post their profession in the subject line.

Occasionally someone asks whether a certain watch would be out of place in a certain profession; too flash, etc. Not here. Just some discussion about the relative sizes of a sub/DJ.

I just found it interesting. YMMV.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 01:29 PM   #100
Ksario
"TRF" Member

Watch: Never enough
My 1st real watch was a DJ36. Don’t regret it. I would go DJ as it’s super classy and time less. Then a Sub.
Ksario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2020, 09:36 PM   #101
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
My first Rolex out of residency was a two tone YG-SS black dial 36, back in 2015. Got a two tone YG blue dial sub about 18 months later. Then a president. Then a CHNR. And so on. You'll end up with both, but the DJ is a great first love.

You might even end up in addiction medicine before it's all said and done. . .
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 02:11 AM   #102
Endoscopist
"TRF" Member

I actually tried on a sub a year or two ago. See pic for reference on my wrist.

I think I can definitely pull it off but I am sure a dj36 would be more comfortable for daily wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Endoscopist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 02:13 AM   #103
Endoscopist
"TRF" Member

Side view of a sub date as well

Old 17 July 2020, 02:15 AM   #104
ndls
"TRF" Member

DJ 36 would likely guarantee you a sub, so both is not a bad option. BTW, that sub looks awesome on you
ndls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 10:22 AM   #105
ROlesorusLEX
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Let us know in this thread what decision you make. I promise you can't go wrong
ROlesorusLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2020, 12:56 PM   #106
Oystersteel92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoscopist View Post
Hi everyone,

I always thought that I would treat myself to my first Rolex when I finished my fellowship (Gastro), but COVID messed things up a bit (I was drafted to take care of COVID patients in my hospital) and it never happened.

I have been dreaming of getting one for probably 10 years. I am looking to start calling around to get one in time for my birthday in September.

I always thought I would get a Submariner. After 10 years of looking at one in pictures, I almost feel like I don't even want it anymore! My tastes, I feel, are evolving as I get older (35 now) and as my needs change.

I have been infatuated with the blue dial/fluted/jubilee DJ36 in white gold/SS for a year or so. I have a very slim 6.5" wrist and am a pretty thin/athletic dude.

I thought I would wear mostly pants and shirts to work, but because we're still post-COVID, everyone including myself is in scrubs. I anticipate I will alternate between the two at some point.

I am so torn. I probably want both watches at some point, but which should I get first?

I worry the sub will ultimately feel too big for me for daily wear although I've tried it on and it seemed ok.

I worry about not having a date function (I don't like the sub date)

I feel like the DJ36 is perfect size for my wrist, but the configuration I love I worry will be too flashy for daily wear.

What would you do in my case?
Frankly all Rolex are great, but I think the 36mm DJ is the quintessential watch of professionals. I own a TT DJ on a Jubilee because that's what my dentist has and I have admired it for a long time (he's been my dentist for nearly 40 years).

I'm blessed to have a very solid middle management position at a large company and there are many DJs on the wrists of senior managers and directors, as well as a couple of Air Kings. I've seen photos of our founder with both a DJ and a Day-Date. Now that I think about it, I've never seen a professional model in the office.
Oystersteel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 01:05 AM   #107
Endoscopist
"TRF" Member

So a bit of an update to this thread and an incoming!

I decided on the 124060 as my first Rolex. I decided to hit up a local boutique (no major recent purchase history). I was looking to buy a Cartier Ballon Bleu for my wife for her birthday in June and leverage that to get on the list for a sub for my birthday in September.

I have to admit I was in scrubs and I think it helped my story being a physician in the community.

I got bumped up the chain of command to the store owner who said he would try to make it happen for me and “make some calls.” He said if he can make it happen it would be both watches and whenever they come (ie not holding it for me for September obviously). I said sure, not thinking much could really come of it.

I left my info and drove back to work. In the car about 10 minutes later I got a call from the AD that they will have both watches for me within a week!

And so, I present my double incoming! Pics to follow…

Old 18 June 2021, 01:23 AM   #108
Rick_Nashville
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
So a bit of an update to this thread and an incoming! I decided on the 124060 as my first Rolex. I decided to hit up a local boutique (no major recent purchase history). I have to admit I was in scrubs and I think it helped my story being a physician in the community. I left my info and drove back to work. In the car about 10 minutes later I got a call from the AD that they will have both watches for me within a week! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huge congrats. And thanks for helping the community during these times. Glad you went for the Sub ND (it's a fantastic watch), and I'm glad it all came together relatively quickly. Looking forward to the pics.
Rick_Nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 01:29 AM   #109
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Great thread revival and BIG congratulations to you! Looking forward to the wrist shots

Thank you as well, for all your hard work during these unusual times.
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 01:44 AM   #110
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
So a bit of an update to this thread and an incoming!

I decided on the 124060 as my first Rolex. I decided to hit up a local boutique (no major recent purchase history). I was looking to buy a Cartier Ballon Bleu for my wife for her birthday in June and leverage that to get on the list for a sub for my birthday in September.

I have to admit I was in scrubs and I think it helped my story being a physician in the community.

I got bumped up the chain of command to the store owner who said he would try to make it happen for me and “make some calls.” He said if he can make it happen it would be both watches and whenever they come (ie not holding it for me for September obviously). I said sure, not thinking much could really come of it.

I left my info and drove back to work. In the car about 10 minutes later I got a call from the AD that they will have both watches for me within a week!

And so, I present my double incoming! Pics to follow…

Congrats!
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 01:46 AM   #111
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

I'd totally go with the Sub. But that's cause I'm in the water every week.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 03:04 AM   #112
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Congrats on completing your fellowship and the new watches. You made the right choice with the Sub although the DJ is not a bad choice either.
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 04:34 AM   #113
Endoscopist
"TRF" Member

Old 18 June 2021, 04:35 AM   #114
Endoscopist
"TRF" Member

Old 18 June 2021, 04:40 AM   #115
640ibimmerguy
"TRF" Member

congrats on many accounts!
640ibimmerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 04:40 AM   #116
Endoscopist
"TRF" Member

https://imgur.com/pO2T7t7
Old 18 June 2021, 04:44 AM   #117
Endoscopist
"TRF" Member

https://imgur.com/jNFXkWG
Old 18 June 2021, 04:44 AM   #118
Endoscopist
"TRF" Member

I thank you all for sharing in my joy and reading the thread!
Old 18 June 2021, 05:08 AM   #119
Sgooter
2024 Pledge Member

This post was made moot by the OP's decision. Congrats Doc!
Sgooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 05:24 AM   #120
LA_LEC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Congrats on finishing your fellowship and thanks so much for jumping on the COVID grenade If you're not in the biz, it's hard to appreciate how big a sacrifice that would be.

My only Rolex is an Explorer, and I bring it up as it splits the difference between a DJ and Sub. Wears thin, quite legible, sporty, touch of elegance with the smooth polished bezel while maintaining a brushed casual bracelet, and off bracelet (if you're into strap changes to change the look of the watch) it really flies under the radar. I've found I never need the date complication on a watch as I'm always at a computer at work when I need to know the date.
I agree with you. As a former Sub/Date owner in my younger years (actually did get it wet many times) I am an Explorer wearer now that I am 60.

I wear it for all the reasons you state above. Simple, versatile and subtle.
LA_LEC is offline   Reply With Quote