The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 14 October 2022, 02:26 AM   #1
aseksr
"TRF" Member

Zenith repair

Hi watch community, my wife dropped her zenith watch and the sapphire shattered. My question is there any watch shop I can contact for another quote? Zenith quote was quite high

Thank you in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aseksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2022, 02:49 AM   #2
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

What big cities are near you?
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2022, 02:50 AM   #3
aseksr
"TRF" Member

Boston, Ma

Old 14 October 2022, 09:56 AM   #4
Dave455
"TRF" Member

The problem with a sapphire crystal, is that when it does shatter it tends to create a lot of fine particles. So replacing a shattered sapphire crystal involves a lot more than just changing it - the movement needs to be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned.

Not saying you won’t find somewhere cheaper than Zenith, but it’s always going to be a more expensive job than a crystal swap.
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2022, 01:28 PM   #5
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Zenith repair

You should be able to find many competent independent watchmakers in Boston area who could do the work.

Getting an OEM sapphire Crystal may be difficult for an indy though. However, many suppliers have dimensionally correct generics that will serve your wife’s needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2022, 01:57 PM   #6
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave455 View Post
The problem with a sapphire crystal, is that when it does shatter it tends to create a lot of fine particles. So replacing a shattered sapphire crystal involves a lot more than just changing it - the movement needs to be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned.

Not saying you won’t find somewhere cheaper than Zenith, but it’s always going to be a more expensive job than a crystal swap.
This.
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2022, 06:13 PM   #7
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
I feel for you. My experience with the Zenith repair department has been similar. Before the bubble it almost made more sense just to buy a new watch than get an old one serviced/repaired.
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 October 2022, 10:23 PM   #8
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

In Boston try European Watch Company. Personally, direct to Zenith may really be your best bet but if you want to try and save a few bucks....
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2022, 02:52 AM   #9
Gebbeth
"TRF" Member

Look, the watch was dropped in a way, and with an impact force, that was enough to shatter the crystal. I would want the watch thoroughly checked, and anything fixed to spec.

In this situation, I would pay the money to go directly to Zenith. Unless, of course, they are quoting you $5,000 on a watch that may have a residual value of $5,000. I don't think that's what we're talking about, right?
Gebbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 October 2022, 11:33 PM   #10
aseksr
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone for the advice. I gave my wife the option to fix it or spend that money on a new watch since this was a hand me down from me. And will reach out to a few independent to see if we can get it fixed for a fraction of zeniths quote in the mean time

Old 15 October 2022, 11:34 PM   #11
aseksr
"TRF" Member

She wears watches more for the accessorie aspect, never even sets the time on it. Lol

Old 15 October 2022, 11:41 PM   #12
aseksr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebbeth View Post
Look, the watch was dropped in a way, and with an impact force, that was enough to shatter the crystal. I would want the watch thoroughly checked, and anything fixed to spec.

In this situation, I would pay the money to go directly to Zenith. Unless, of course, they are quoting you $5,000 on a watch that may have a residual value of $5,000. I don't think that's what we're talking about, right?

Quote is for 2k with new sapphire and servicing the watch. Not sure the value, but paid 6k it on jomashop 10 years ago.