The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 June 2021, 03:45 AM   #31
Smols
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh Gentleman View Post
large European cities are much worse than Canada / USA. generally speaking.

London / Paris / Rome / Madrid were infamous for decades, for thefts of all sorts. very creative and technical ways to rob unsuspecting folks.

in recent years, situation got much worse. it is no longer a small technical theft where violence is not involved. many times these days, it is a violent theft from thugs that got nothing to lose in life and would risk some jail time (and free meals at jails) for that Rolex / PP / AP.

I wouldn't dare to wear full PM Rolex at any location in London, Paris, Madrid, etc. check out below news:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ion-watch.html
Although obviously this was a horrible incident, it is not like this is a daily occurrence. London is not some ‘no-go area’ like some sections of the media would have you believe (I would take anything coming from the Daily Mail with a pinch of salt.)

What is a lot more common is the moped robberies, where someone will ride past on a moped and the passenger will snatch an unsuspecting person’s phone. This happened to a work mate of mine a while back, but he was pretty drunk, standing on a crossroads that was well known for this type of incident. Which probably wasn’t the wisest move. He was however wearing a Sub at the time, they paid no attention to that though, they were only interested in the easy pickings (the phone).

I know loads of people who wear Rolex or other high end watches all the time in London without a second thought and without incident. Obviously you need to be aware of your surroundings, like in any big city. But I wouldn’t say it’s any worse than anywhere else.
Smols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 03:49 AM   #32
Meyrin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 14060
Be very careful in Barcelona and London. Regarding Barcelona I speak from personal experience (a very close call!), and for London just google "London street watch robberies" or similar. It's no joke...people have been killed for their Rolexes.
Meyrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 03:53 AM   #33
eddiemonster
"TRF" Member

Watch: @tm3machine
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Full disclosure, I'm not a full PM owner, only a lowly two-tone owner haha. But I wanted to make the point that any savvy thief who is going to target you for your watch is going to see a bullseye whether you are wearing a two-tone GMT or a full gold GMT. The answer would be different if your question were "should I wear my g-shock or my Rolex?" But when asking "should I wear a $20k watch or a $30k watch?" I'd argue a thief will be more than happy with either. So the long and short of it would seem to be the same cautions you currently do or do not employ would be reasonable for the full PM piece. IMO.
I get your point. I guess two-tone, while not pedestrian, is still relatively mainstream and more under-the-radar than FG/PM. I guess the "visceral" feeling of PM on the wrist, at least for the wearer- is night & day. But you're right, PM makes you no more of a target than Rolesor.
eddiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 03:55 AM   #34
envuks
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

I don’t think it’s so much about the value going from 20k to 40k, but more so about the full RG piece being a bit more eye catchy (for undesirables)

Just my $.02

I don’t travel to new cities with my YG gmt. I take the Daytona

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“A man with one watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.”
envuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 03:56 AM   #35
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
I don't own PM, but I can speak about NYC situation as I live here.

tons of tourists and wealthy locals going out dining in Soho or near Columbus Circle. I've lost count of folks wearing high end jewelry, full gold Patek's, and higher end Rolex like Daytona's, at restaurants in these districts.

So, as long as you are hanging around touristy and upper scale areas of NYC, you will likely be fine.

London is a diff story altogether. I travel there three times a year for business trips, and that place is a magnet for violent thefts. I was wearing my steel GMT's there and I didn't feel safe, so I took it off and put it in my suitcase while walking to and from my hotel.

But regardless of location or surroundings, a full gold watch will naturally attract far more attention from anyone. I don't like getting strangers' attention, so I would never wear full PM. but that's just my style.
I'm curious as to what areas you've frequented in London, as I've had the polar opposite experience. The English tend to be a reserved bunch and I rarely get approached by anyone out in the street, I see more fashion models walking around than anything that seems like a threat.

NYC on the other hands seems much more threatening to me especially on the train and in stations, and the American gun laws don't alleviate much of my worries.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 03:56 AM   #36
pwf6031
"TRF" Member

Quote:
large European cities are much worse than Canada / USA. generally speaking.

London / Paris / Rome / Madrid were infamous for decades, for thefts of all sorts. very creative and technical ways to rob unsuspecting folks.
I had an iPhone stolen in Paris years ago... they are no joke extremely professional at it. Not a huge deal, but ruined the day and tarnished my view of the city in general.
pwf6031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 03:57 AM   #37
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Get a beater GMT for travel. My Tudor has been terrific. One less thing to worry about while traveling
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 03:58 AM   #38
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Just wear long sleeve t-shirt and hide it when out and about. Most crimes of opportunity can be avoided by removing the impulse.
Old 17 June 2021, 04:22 AM   #39
drawp28
"TRF" Member

Insurance is definitely an option! I had mine insured for about 1.4% as its annual premium and covers all accidental+theft.
drawp28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 04:26 AM   #40
phillipchan23
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 114270, north flag
I would just buy insurance and wear it. Of course personal safety is always more important and stay away from sketch areas.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
phillipchan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 04:29 AM   #41
eddiemonster
"TRF" Member

Watch: @tm3machine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
I think that wearing a PM watch, or really any highly desirable watch in areas where one is unfamiliar is akin to carrying your money in your hands or your credit card totally exposed on a lanyard around your neck.

There are so many beautiful and admirable inexpensive watches to wear that it just seems illogical to expose your expensive ones to those who wouldn't mind cutting your arm off for a watch or some rings.

The people who say to just insure one's valuables, don't feel as I do that no amount of money can replace my most beloved watches.

Insurance is good in the event of some unforeseen situations, but to tempt thieves just because something is insured seems foolish at best.

Discretion is the better part of valor.

Fair analogy and sage advice, thank you!

eddiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 04:31 AM   #42
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemonster View Post
I get your point. I guess two-tone, while not pedestrian, is still relatively mainstream and more under-the-radar than FG/PM. I guess the "visceral" feeling of PM on the wrist, at least for the wearer- is night & day. But you're right, PM makes you no more of a target than Rolesor.
Yeah I think that's a great point. The way we feel, when wearing any of these might skew how we think others are perceiving us. Strapping $40k to your wrist is a "damn, son" moment for all but the most jaded of baller. But I still believe that to the vast majority of this world, they cannot tell any difference - and certainly not from across the subway car or 10' away on the sidewalk - from this $110 Nixon. So yes, solid gold anything looks kinda flashy, but simultaneously looks cheap due to the huge likelihood of it being completely fake. Once a keen thief's eye has earmarked a piece as an actual "nice watch" you are in the crosshairs regardless of the reference at that point.
Attached Images
File Type: png gold.png (150.6 KB, 471 views)
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 04:46 AM   #43
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Yeah I think that's a great point. The way we feel, when wearing any of these might skew how we think others are perceiving us. Strapping $40k to your wrist is a "damn, son" moment for all but the most jaded of baller. But I still believe that to the vast majority of this world, they cannot tell any difference - and certainly not from across the subway car or 10' away on the sidewalk - from this $110 Nixon. So yes, solid gold anything looks kinda flashy, but simultaneously looks cheap due to the huge likelihood of it being completely fake. Once a keen thief's eye has earmarked a piece as an actual "nice watch" you are in the crosshairs regardless of the reference at that point.
It's easy to tell if it's a gold Nixon or Daydate from across the street simply by looking at the gents attire, shoes etc... makes for an easy guess what the watch could be.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 04:50 AM   #44
GW44
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/Rolex
My ex had her Datejust Rolesor 31mm torn off her wrist in Barcelona 2 years ago through the window (closed but smashed) of the hire car with her daughter (my step daughter) next to her.

Traumatised doesn’t even cover it…..I’d never wear any of my PM pieces in any city unless it was well hidden under a sleeve/gloves…..so not in the summer
GW44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 04:53 AM   #45
SLRdude
"TRF" Member

I traveled with my RG YM and Blue Sky quite a bit, mostly London, Portugal, Madrid, Switzerland.
This was pre 2020 though as I have not traveled since.
If I was to travel now I would likely skip the watch and just take a beater or my AppleWatch.
Kinda sucks because I like to make vacation memories with my watches lol.
Member # 87
SLRdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 04:55 AM   #46
dukie748
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thxv009 View Post
Could you tell how it happened when you mind?
Behind the old stock exchange around 9.00pm, just flown in from the states, only been there four hours, had a meal and were walking back to the hotel. Couple of guys in costume handing out flyers for Spanish dance, wife and her friend unwisely interacted with one (alcohol does that) and the other guy took hold of my wrist in a jovial way acting like he was trying to encourage me to get involved.

The guy had a double clasp Breitling off my wrist in a second or two - and I didn't even feel it happen until the weight was gone... then I realized instantly. I managed to trap the guy between two parked cars and a wall, and successfully 'liberated' my watch - I was more concerned about his group of mates a couple of hundred feet down the road seeing what was going on, so unfortunately didn't get the opportunity to 'thank' him properly.

I like to think I'm a pretty streetwise guy - I've visited 50+ countries and have lived in some major cities - London and Miami for example. Never thought it would happen to me, but it did, and in seconds. For what it's worth, I'm a scruffy dude - don't even own a suit, tie, or a pair of dress shoes - and always try to fly 'under the radar', but these guys obviously know watches.
dukie748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 05:00 AM   #47
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
My most travel watch is my 116660.The original DSSD .

I wear a Rolex everyday in my country ,believe me ,travelling anywhere is a minor issue ..

Always aware,always awake and certain situations you just don't wear it .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 05:00 AM   #48
LA_LEC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
First off, 126715 is a beautiful watch and likely next on my list if i can't get the olive dial Day Date 40.

Considering I only have platinum and yellow gold, I feel comfortable as ever traveling with my watches. Of course I won't wear my yellow gold rolex through Venice Beach this weekend, but I truly think less people notice our watches than we believe.
Agree - typically the ones who notice high end watches are collectors and thieves.

Never underestimate professional watch thieves. They do not look as you would think/expect but rather dress to blend in with others. Typically they will work with a partner as well.

I spent 6 years in Buenos Aires and saw Rolex and other high end watches stolen on a number of occasions. Some were armed robberies, some were sneak attacks with a well dressed man grabbing the watch...violently twisting it to bend the pins enough be dislodge the band and then jump onto a waiting motorcycle. This is all done in a matter of a couple of seconds. Beware
LA_LEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 05:03 AM   #49
thxv009
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukie748 View Post
Behind the old stock exchange around 9.00pm, just flown in from the states, only been there four hours, had a meal and were walking back to the hotel. Couple of guys in costume handing out flyers for Spanish dance, wife and her friend unwisely interacted with one (alcohol does that) and the other guy took hold of my wrist in a jovial way acting like he was trying to encourage me to get involved.

The guy had a double clasp Breitling off my wrist in a second or two - and I didn't even feel it happen until the weight was gone... then I realized instantly. I managed to trap the guy between two parked cars and a wall, and successfully 'liberated' my watch - I was more concerned about his group of mates a couple of hundred feet down the road seeing what was going on, so unfortunately didn't get the opportunity to 'thank' him properly.

I like to think I'm a pretty streetwise guy - I've visited 50+ countries and have lived in some major cities - London and Miami for example. Never thought it would happen to me, but it did, and in seconds. For what it's worth, I'm a scruffy dude - don't even own a suit, tie, or a pair of dress shoes - and always try to fly 'under the radar', but these guys obviously know watches.

Sorry for your experience. I „lived“ there for 2 months and have been there every year twice and never had such a situation but I’m really careful even with my BB58. I really don’t like if someone is walking behind me. Yesterday I had the exact same Situation in Palma. 2 men were really close behind me and my GF. We stopped and let passed them. Sure that wouldn’t help if they actually want to rob me but I try to keep distance to strangers. Wore the Daytona of my grandpa for a trip to London 2 years ago and had no problems but we had an Airbnb near Canary Wharf and we had to walk 1.2 km from the underground station and it was stupid to wear such a nice watch at night. I felt very uncomfortable

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro
thxv009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 05:11 AM   #50
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I wore the very blingy YG Sub 116618LB all over Paris a couple of years ago, including subways at all hours of day. I have also worn a SS Sub all over Barcelona...no problems. YMMV

I would wear anything anywhere in Europe. I would not wear a Rolex in Mexico though.
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 05:15 AM   #51
dukie748
"TRF" Member

Every city has its good and bad, but I don't wear 'recognizable' brand watches in London or when visiting my home town any more - it's just not worth the stress.

Couple of years ago I visited my long time AD in Brighton around 4.00pm on a Friday, it's right in the center of town and the streets were bustling - about 5 minutes after I left the store was hit by four guys with machetes and sledgehammers...
dukie748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 05:27 AM   #52
Maiden
"TRF" Member

I wore my gold day date on a 14 day trip through Croatia a couple of years back. No problems at all. We did have a stopover in Paris however and I was browsing in the Rolex boutique in the airport and the saleswoman remarked when she saw my day date “ lovely watch, please do not wear that into the city”

Omega Geneve
Tag Heuer Aquaracer WAY2112
Orient Ray 2
Maiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 06:04 AM   #53
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
As always, situational awareness will reduce the possibility of theft. A Sig 9mm would be most helpful, but really frowned upon nowadays.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 06:12 AM   #54
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by duquephart View Post
I buy watches to wear. If I'm going to feel uncomfortable wearing it I don't buy it.

Good luck getting that hand sewn back on

Semi joking aside, there are several cities I’ve been to where I wouldn’t wear an expensive watch on obvious display.

And I’m from a city with a fairly rough history.

It’s really not worth it.

No matter how tough or aware you are, there’s always someone tougher and more aware.

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 06:25 AM   #55
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_LEC View Post
Agree - typically the ones who notice high end watches are collectors and thieves.

Never underestimate professional watch thieves. They do not look as you would think/expect but rather dress to blend in with others. Typically they will work with a partner as well.

I spent 6 years in Buenos Aires and saw Rolex and other high end watches stolen on a number of occasions. Some were armed robberies, some were sneak attacks with a well dressed man grabbing the watch...violently twisting it to bend the pins enough be dislodge the band and then jump onto a waiting motorcycle. This is all done in a matter of a couple of seconds. Beware
agreed and they're also the ones that can spot a stainless no date sub easily. the whole "white gold or steel is under the radar" thing is past logical at this point. the people that want to know, know, and will rob you regardless if you're wearing a yg day date or steel sub. the only people more flashy rolexes will attract attention from probably aren't a threat
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 06:56 AM   #56
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Wow London is getting some grief, just for the record I worked there for 20 years, travelled on buses, tubes and spent many an hour just walking the streets. Covered areas such as Brixton, Peckham, Bermondsey and other locations south of the Thames, no issues. Been north of the river to bars restaurants and theatres, used buses and tubes plus strolling the streets, no issues.

Like all cities you have to be aware of your surroundings, be sensible and stay in areas where there are plenty of tourists around, or if you’re on business go where the business people go when they are out of the office.

Any city has its risks, and sometimes it is simply about being in the wrong place at the wrong time and there’s not a lot you can do about that.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 07:05 AM   #57
jca998
"TRF" Member

It all depends where you are traveling and your appearance. I'm 6'1" and built like a tank. I wore my Day Date 40mm Everose Chocolate Diamond dial and my full rose gold GMT Rootbeer to Russia for the World Cup, and because my Dad loves to go everywhere, we went to all parts of each city, Moscow, Yekateringburg, Kasan, and Sochi. Also, been to Colombia, Medellin, Bogota and Cali. Been on vacation to Aruba.
jca998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 07:07 AM   #58
Jhall51
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Batman
I’ve worn mine all over Europe, no issues at all.
Jhall51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 07:18 AM   #59
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Did you catch the video where the thieves try to cut the arm of the fellow wearing a Rolex to disable the arm in London. I would not wear anything flashing or expensive traveling. The US has always had an advisory in place not to travel with expensive jewelry. It has always been and is smart advice.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 07:36 AM   #60
strettyend
"TRF" Member

Out of major cities I’ve been to Barcelona would be the one I definitely would not
AP ROC 26315or; AP RO 15450st; Vacheron Fiftysix; Day Date RG 228235 Olive; Daytona YG 116528; Daytona YG Oysterflex 116518; Cartier Santos de Cartier Rose Gold; Panerai PAM 0048; IWC Portofino Chrono; Girard-Perregaux Richeville
strettyend is online now   Reply With Quote