The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 June 2021, 07:38 AM   #61
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Did you catch the video where the thieves try to cut the arm of the fellow wearing a Rolex to disable the arm in London. I would not wear anything flashing or expensive traveling. The US has always had an advisory in place not to travel with expensive jewelry. It has always been and is smart advice.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ion-watch.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 June 2021, 07:42 AM   #62
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
Did you catch the video where the thieves try to cut the arm of the fellow wearing a Rolex to disable the arm in London. I would not wear anything flashing or expensive traveling. The US has always had an advisory in place not to travel with expensive jewelry. It has always been and is smart advice.
Frightening. Stealth is the way in today's world. Unfortunately as these watches become more expensive and over-popularized expect these crimes to increase.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 07:44 AM   #63
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxfordian View Post
Wow London is getting some grief, just for the record I worked there for 20 years, travelled on buses, tubes and spent many an hour just walking the streets. Covered areas such as Brixton, Peckham, Bermondsey and other locations south of the Thames, no issues. Been north of the river to bars restaurants and theatres, used buses and tubes plus strolling the streets, no issues.

Like all cities you have to be aware of your surroundings, be sensible and stay in areas where there are plenty of tourists around, or if you’re on business go where the business people go when they are out of the office.

Any city has its risks, and sometimes it is simply about being in the wrong place at the wrong time and there’s not a lot you can do about that.
Same experience for me, never felt out of place. What it must come down to is luck of the draw which is probably quite rare.
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 07:53 AM   #64
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Life is too short to worry about whether the wrist watch you are wearing is going to be targeted...

If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.... Gone in a flash.

If you are worried, then wear something that a thief won't consider worth the effort and enjoy your holiday.

If you think that you paid for a Rolex and should get wear it wherever and whenever, good luck to you.

Only place I have felt totally safe from watch theft was Japan. Hong Kong to me was safe too until recently where there have been high profile thefts. Central London is a definite NO NO for me. And that's coming from someone who has lived here since 1991.
Old 17 June 2021, 07:59 AM   #65
Ricky Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by thxv009 View Post
Wouldn’t wear a Rolex in Barcelona or Paris. I don’t like London too

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro
To put things in perspective.

I live in London and wear my watches everywhere I go, using common sense and vigilance when required. Paris also, although around Gare Du Nord main station is very rough and I agree you're better off keeping an expensive watch out of sight until you move past that area.

It's a shame we have to think like this but it's reality I guess.

♛GMT II Coke 16710♛ ♛DateJust 16030♛ ♛Explorer 214270 mk2♛ Submariner 116610LN♛ 126711CHNR ♛
Ricky Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 08:00 AM   #66
marselluswallace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116506
I’d only wear my 116506 or 5711r in Dubai whilst out and about or at night.

Everywhere else I wear one of my Alpinists.
marselluswallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 08:07 AM   #67
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marselluswallace View Post
I’d only wear my 116506 or 5711r in Dubai whilst out and about or at night.

Everywhere else I wear one of my Alpinists.
I wore my YG DD40 in Dubai everywhere, never felt safer. Gulf countries are one of the few exceptions.
Old 17 June 2021, 08:15 AM   #68
bp1000
"TRF" Member

These cities mentioned, no way. Barcelona possibly the worst, Paris probably equal.

However, I’ve worn gold subs and GMTs in London for years up until about 3 years ago. I even use to wear them with t-shirts on the underground, and travelling through east London and never had an issue. Neither has my wife. But 3 years ago the trouble started. Organised crime gangs that target other major cities are repeating tactics in all locations.

My friend who had lived in London most of his life and uses taxis to travel and rarely walks the streets was targeted for his datejust just coming out of a restaurant to a waiting Uber.

Now I wear something more covert.

I’d wear it elsewhere however. Florence, Corsica, most of the south of France. Probably most of Greece, even Ibiza.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 08:59 AM   #69
eddiemonster
"TRF" Member

Watch: @tm3machine
Such a shame that crime is so rampant and brazen these days. The world over, having to wear masks during Covid has only allowed crime to proliferate, allowing cowards and low-lifes of the earth to benefit from the anonymity of a mandated disguise.

I guess I knew the answer before I asked the question, but was in denial or wanted to hear that perhaps I was just being paranoid. But unfortunately, the responses have largely confirmed the reality and that the world has changed (or maybe it hasn't)- the rich are richer, the poor are poorer, the desperate are more desperate...

Oh well, I can now justify having an 116710 as a stunt double for my 126715, LOL!
eddiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 09:03 AM   #70
eddiemonster
"TRF" Member

Watch: @tm3machine
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
I wore my YG DD40 in Dubai everywhere, never felt safer. Gulf countries are one of the few exceptions.
@moneyman_888, hello neighbor!
eddiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 09:08 AM   #71
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Yes if I’m going to places like Japan. Basically no for almost anywhere else. Just not a risk I need to deal with when I travel. Life’s much simpler with a ss gmt from grand seiko esp when I’m in places like the Phillipines Thailand London.

amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 11:37 AM   #72
amanbra
"TRF" Member

Wearing PM Rolex on travel abroad, do you?

Delete

Last edited by amanbra; 17 June 2021 at 11:37 AM.. Reason: Dupe post
amanbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 12:59 PM   #73
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemonster View Post
@moneyman_888, hello neighbor!

Greetings neighbor!

Old 17 June 2021, 01:22 PM   #74
Posh Gentleman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Such a shame that crime is so rampant and brazen these days. The world over, having to wear masks during Covid has only allowed crime to proliferate, allowing cowards and low-lifes of the earth to benefit from the anonymity of a mandated disguise.

I guess I knew the answer before I asked the question, but was in denial or wanted to hear that perhaps I was just being paranoid. But unfortunately, the responses have largely confirmed the reality and that the world has changed (or maybe it hasn't)- the rich are richer, the poor are poorer, the desperate are more desperate...

Oh well, I can now justify having an 116710 as a stunt double for my 126715, LOL!

I would get yourself a fake $50 Rolex from China, when you plan to make that trip to London or Paris. In case a low life scum is eyeing your wrist and makes unwanted advances, just tell that animal the watch is yours to keep :)

I happen to have a fake Rolex Explorer II that my dad got me as a gift a while ago (while insisting that it was real, lol) For sure in my next trips to London, I will be wearing this beauty, while leaving the goodies at my home.
Posh Gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 01:28 PM   #75
whiskyrolex
"TRF" Member

Even domestic places like NYC and San Francisco are as bad as some of the cities being mentioned in terms of petty crimes.
whiskyrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 01:39 PM   #76
replicator
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP
Wearing PM Rolex on travel abroad, do you?

When I’m going to major cities in Asia, or metros in NA or Europe I would take WG if I know the area. If it’s a sporty or resort type trip, ND sub or none at all (South America).

Every country differs in terms of safety when it comes to personal belongings. For example, Asia is a mecca for watch enthusiasts, common to see folks wearing AP’s and Rolexes on the streets. HK and Taiwan seem to have a Rolex AD every couple of blocks it’s absurd. Japan is also particularly safe. In busy areas, bikes are left unlocked for hours at a time. It’s incredible.
replicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 02:04 PM   #77
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

No my friend. You're gonna be a walking target. I wear my Explorer II 5 digit, and even then, I'm pretty aware of surroundings.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 02:23 PM   #78
ThatSubGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh Gentleman View Post
I would get yourself a fake $50 Rolex from China, when you plan to make that trip to London or Paris. In case a low life scum is eyeing your wrist and makes unwanted advances, just tell that animal the watch is yours to keep :)

I happen to have a fake Rolex Explorer II that my dad got me as a gift a while ago (while insisting that it was real, lol) For sure in my next trips to London, I will be wearing this beauty, while leaving the goodies at my home.
Close to being the dumbest thing I've read all week.
ThatSubGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 04:09 PM   #79
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
Just today, walking down a very nice street in broad daylight in a wonderful part of Beverly Hills, I became uneasy as I realized a guy in a hoodie was following my wife and I. It’s very hot and a hoodie!! We ducked into a furniture store and I took my Navitimer off and stuck it into my pocket. The guy was still around but finally quit following us. Now that I read this article, I’m leaving the good watches at home next time!!
Old 17 June 2021, 04:10 PM   #80
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
Wow.
You know Rolex sell PM watches in "Not America" right ?
Thousands of people in London, Paris and Barcelona somehow manage to move freely around those cities whilst wearing them.
Old 17 June 2021, 04:50 PM   #81
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I only wear a Rolex in Tokyo, Seoul or my hometown (NYC). Everywhere else I just don’t feel the need to risk it or to make myself and my wife feel unsafe. Luckily, I also love wearing G-Shocks and Seikos, and some micro brands. I’ve been all over Europe, but never with an expensive watch on my wrist, and I’ve never felt threatened or unsafe.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 05:19 PM   #82
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
and more under-the-radar than FG/PM.

Two-tone watches are more noticeable than steel or even full gold watches because of the contrast.

The combination of steel and gold makes it pop way more than any other watch. Especially if you are wearing one with a jubilee strap. When the light hits.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 05:22 PM   #83
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchNutcase View Post
It's easy to tell if it's a gold Nixon or Daydate from across the street simply by looking at the gents attire, shoes etc... makes for an easy guess what the watch could be.
It's 2021, clothing says nothing.

You've got old folks wearing their usual off brand polo's, shorts and white random sneakers because they are comfortable and still sporting a gold DD. It says nothing.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 05:24 PM   #84
Ricky Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:

Terrible advice.

Plenty of cases of people stabbed or shot BEFORE having their watch robbed.

Look up Danny Pearce Greenwich on Google.

Don’t do silly things

♛GMT II Coke 16710♛ ♛DateJust 16030♛ ♛Explorer 214270 mk2♛ Submariner 116610LN♛ 126711CHNR ♛
Ricky Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2021, 05:56 PM   #85
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
Wow.
Thousands of people in London, Paris and Barcelona somehow manage to move freely around those cities whilst wearing them.
WOW.

Your naivety is of concern...
Old 17 June 2021, 09:47 PM   #86
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Sorry but this is idiotic. Also I don't think TRF advocates using the counterfeit market. Fake Rolexes need to be destroyed.
Old 17 June 2021, 11:31 PM   #87
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

I will admit that this thread has made me reconsider. I generally put the "is this city safe for a Rolex?" in the same category as "can I wear my Sub in the rain?". But there are certainly some frightening anecdotes and comments here.

I have always worn a Rolex. We went to Cancun 7 or 8 years ago, and I wore my TT Datejust out and about. At night, walking back from dinner, etc. Not in the old section of Cancun, but in the resort area, and I felt safe. Nothing happened. From what I have read about Mexico and Cancun the last few years, perhaps those days of resort areas being well patrolled and safe are over.

I wore my platinum Daytona for a week in Paris and a week in Switzerland three years ago. I felt safe although had a "close call" IMO when at Sacré-Cœur in Paris. Those guys with leather straps that take your wrist and try to put one on you did that to me. I snatched my wrist back right away and said no thank you. I imagine my watch would have been taken in the next few seconds. But other than that, I felt safe, and we even took the train to Switzerland from Gare du Nord. Maybe that should be reconsidered in the future. I will say that I never felt the slightest bit uncomfortable in Switzerland (Jungfrau region, Basel, Zurich).

I hate to have to even think about this, but getting mugged would at best, ruin the trip. Since there haven't been any pictures in this thread, here's one from Lake Luzerne:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Day Lucerne.jpg (153.0 KB, 245 views)
Old 18 June 2021, 12:07 AM   #88
WatchNutcase
Banned

Watch: Sub 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
Wow.
+1, cities like this are littered with Rolex watches in the wild
WatchNutcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:26 AM   #89
DC116710LN
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This may help to keep your watches safe but it won't help to keep you safe. Most assailants won't be able to distinguish between real and fake until well after they've assaulted you. I would reconsider this strategy
DC116710LN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2021, 12:53 AM   #90
MINOLI
"TRF" Member

While it's not PM, I have a SD43 that's insured and I travel with it. I've taken it to Spain and Greece without issues so far, including Barcelona. If you don't feel comfortable then I wouldn't risk it.
MINOLI is offline   Reply With Quote