The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 June 2019, 04:12 AM   #31
maxymax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
It's a shame that it has come to this. You guys are discussing how much extra, in the thousands of dollars, that you have to spend to buy a mass market commodity. There are sooooooooooooo many alternatives out there, and you don't have to wait a day or spend over MSRP to obtain it.

I really do like Rolex watches, but it has come to the point I fear, that once I sell my Daytona (and that's about to happen) that I may not return to the brand.
maxymax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 04:30 AM   #32
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
At least they gave you a number. Most ADs just say that it's not available until you've spent $50k on other stuff and then suddenly it shows up 3 weeks later.
Old 18 June 2019, 04:33 AM   #33
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftx i View Post
i wouldn't accept that kind offer.
x2. It’s getting sillier by the day.
Old 18 June 2019, 04:37 AM   #34
5kooby
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega SMP
Have you checked the other Rolex AD in Torrance, Morgan's Jeweler? I'm in the area and was wonder about those local ADs. Thanks for the info.
5kooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 04:41 AM   #35
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Owner will likely say it's now 3k on top of the sub.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 04:46 AM   #36
reddog4063
"TRF" Member

can you take the 2k in gold bars at spot?

**Please note, all of my posts are meant to spark discussion to make the board fun. I do not need advice and consent, I am having fun here**
reddog4063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 05:08 AM   #37
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex-AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry98vert View Post
I went into a Ben Bridge,authorized rolex dealer, in Torrance CA. Inquired about a Submariner, the sales lady asked if I ever bought anything at there store. I said no thinking like what does that matter, she said that I can be put on a wait list but since I am not a so called Ben Bridge shopper I would need to purchase an extra $2000 on top of the watch.

I am was thinking to myself sure I am going to buy a $9000 watch and pay another $2000 in another product, not going to happen. Really if I could call the owner and tell that person what was said I would love to hear the reaction of the owner.
Tell them to do one. Ive owned loads of rolex over the past 10 years there far from special, still have two. Do what i did look at other brands. For slightly more you could grab a used AP diver and its on a completely different level to a sub
MrEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 05:22 AM   #38
eleven11prints
"TRF" Member

Watch: Last:ALS Datograph
Quote:
I went into a Ben Bridge,authorized rolex dealer, in Torrance CA. Inquired about a Submariner, the sales lady asked if I ever bought anything at there store. I said no thinking like what does that matter, she said that I can be put on a wait list but since I am not a so called Ben Bridge shopper I would need to purchase an extra $2000 on top of the watch.

I am was thinking to myself sure I am going to buy a $9000 watch and pay another $2000 in another product, not going to happen. Really if I could call the owner and tell that person what was said I would love to hear the reaction of the owner.
Buy the sub and the $2k additional item. Leave with both. Return the surplus item and get a refund.
eleven11prints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 05:22 AM   #39
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
x2. It’s getting sillier by the day.
x3.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 05:30 AM   #40
cbalster
"TRF" Member

"If I must spend at least another $2k, I'll do a Sub and a Sub Date please. Here is my amex, could you bag and tag those for me?"
cbalster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 05:37 AM   #41
Watch This
Banned

Watch: SS YMII
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexinfl View Post
Tell them to shove that advice, and that you'll remember their antics when the market downturn occurs.
I agree.
Watch This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 05:55 AM   #42
Jerry98vert
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5kooby View Post
Have you checked the other Rolex AD in Torrance, Morgan's Jeweler? I'm in the area and was wonder about those local ADs. Thanks for the info.
That is where I bought my Datejust II 41. Morgan's is awesome. Everyone I am not new to this stupid Rolex game. When a person can't walk into a store to buy a product because that didn't do business with them before can suck it. I just wanted to see what they can do. I never got a "I have one in stock right now" wink wink buy another product for $2000 wink wink. I don't know what I am saying it's just BS in my book.
Jerry98vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:07 AM   #43
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauebm View Post
Owner will likely say it's now 3k on top of the sub.
Plus, you have to buy a PM piece at MSRP.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:08 AM   #44
pepsiretail
Banned

Quote:
That is where I bought my Datejust II 41. Morgan's is awesome. Everyone I am not new to this stupid Rolex game. When a person can't walk into a store to buy a product because that didn't do business with them before can suck it. I just wanted to see what they can do. I never got a "I have one in stock right now" wink wink buy another product for $2000 wink wink. I don't know what I am saying it's just BS in my book.
They just want a piece of the action.

Offer 1k cash small bills
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:11 AM   #45
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
Quote:
This is nothing new. It's been going on for about two years. One of my buddies was looking at a platinum DD in Vegas and the sales guy said, "If you buy that, I can make a SS BLRO appear from the back for you."
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:11 AM   #46
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
In this market that's like a proposal, you must be one fine looking dude, Jerry.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:13 AM   #47
Lifeisarolliecoaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: This space
If I can justify making an additional purchase such as a gift for my wife (but not a Platinum Daytona!) I can accept that but that is far as I will go. Life is too short to feel you have to grovel for a luxury item
Lifeisarolliecoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:15 AM   #48
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Plus, you have to buy a PM piece at MSRP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
In this market that's like a proposal, you must be one fine looking dude, Jerry.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:18 AM   #49
cfracing
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin G View Post
Dealers extorting potential customers.

Nice.
Not defending the AD, but they are just "playing" with the cards that Rolex dealt them.
cfracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:21 AM   #50
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:
I would definitely check with Morgan's. I think you'll have a much better shot of getting a Sub in a reasonable amount of time, especially if you've already purchased a watch from them before. Melissa there is awesome!

It's funny how quickly things went from bad to worse with the SS market. I've been to that BB store in Del Amo before. Had a nice chat with two of the older women who work there on a slow day (this was about a year ago). Never made any kind of purchase at that store or any BB store. For about 6 months they were calling me regularly asking if I was interested or had any friends interested in black Subs and GMTs whenever they came in. Oh how the times have changed! :(
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:24 AM   #51
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

She'll probably get in trouble for telling you that. She was supposed to say 20k.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:28 AM   #52
DLRIDES
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Me
Quote:

They could pound sand.

I would pay $4K over list to a gray dealer rather than being extorted by the AD.

Old 18 June 2019, 06:32 AM   #53
Nairn1980
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Go for it, or go grey
Nairn1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:33 AM   #54
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

See if retailer sells bullion, 2000 should be easy at spot pricing.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:33 AM   #55
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
Really?! That is unbelievable...
Yes.....pretty amazing!
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:35 AM   #56
scheneider
"TRF" Member

Thats a good deal. Get a tudor on top of it
scheneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:41 AM   #57
Wedders
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
It's a shame that it has come to this. You guys are discussing how much extra, in the thousands of dollars, that you have to spend to buy a mass market commodity. There are sooooooooooooo many alternatives out there, and you don't have to wait a day or spend over MSRP to obtain it.

I really do like Rolex watches, but it has come to the point I fear, that once I sell my Daytona (and that's about to happen) that I may not return to the brand.
+1

To all who say pay it, you are the ones that are allowing these stupid rip offs to happen. At the end of the day it’s a watch with a name on it but it only tells the time like all the other makes. If you lot didn’t pay it they couldn’t do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 17F1B9A2-2909-4E03-A79F-E2BE72614FD9.jpeg (108.5 KB, 257 views)
Wedders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 06:48 AM   #58
Geelerald
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer II Polar
Find someone who needs jewelry or a another Rolex and go in as a covert team.
Geelerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 08:12 AM   #59
yOyOYoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Wow just checked the market price for SubCs. This market is insane. I had no idea that even Subs were hard to get now.
yOyOYoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 08:16 AM   #60
maxymax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedders View Post
+1

To all who say pay it, you are the ones that are allowing these stupid rip offs to happen. At the end of the day it’s a watch with a name on it but it only tells the time like all the other makes. If you lot didn’t pay it they couldn’t do it.
maxymax is offline   Reply With Quote