The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 June 2019, 02:45 AM   #1
Jerry98vert
"TRF" Member

Went to an AD to inquire about a Submariner and was told this

I went into a Ben Bridge,authorized rolex dealer, in Torrance CA. Inquired about a Submariner, the sales lady asked if I ever bought anything at there store. I said no thinking like what does that matter, she said that I can be put on a wait list but since I am not a so called Ben Bridge shopper I would need to purchase an extra $2000 on top of the watch.

I am was thinking to myself sure I am going to buy a $9000 watch and pay another $2000 in another product, not going to happen. Really if I could call the owner and tell that person what was said I would love to hear the reaction of the owner.
Jerry98vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 02:49 AM   #2
yihyoon
"TRF" Member

Unfortunately the owner probably going to tell you the same thing.
yihyoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 02:49 AM   #3
PatronMTL
"TRF" Member

Tell her you'll buy a Pepsi GMT as well to cover that extra 2k :-)

That said, 2000$ isnt a bad deal if the sub is there for you (as opposed to a promise to be waitlisted if you spend 2k now). The grey markup is around that and you're getting nothing for the extra 2k, at least here you can end up with another less expensive watch or jewelry for that 2k, even if that stuff tends to have heavy markups
Old 18 June 2019, 02:49 AM   #4
iheartrolexx
Banned

do it
iheartrolexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 02:52 AM   #5
pkincy
"TRF" Member

Actually at least they apparently have a procedure and are willing to tell you about it so you can make your own decision. And $11,000 for a Sub is not out of the question particularly as you can get $2k worth of something for somebody else at the same time.

That actually sounds like one of the more upstanding policies I have heard about. A couple of months ago I was looking for a relatively available Rolex. A DJ36, fluted on jubilee with white stick dial. Not a hard to find piece. I called my local BB. They had one with the Roman white dial but I wanted the index. They said we have 2 but not in this store. I said ok, where and I will buy one. They wouldn't tell me. Given that it certainly was not a hot piece, I thought that was a bit rude so don't do business with them, but do respect their straightforward answer to you.
pkincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 02:52 AM   #6
hbk75
Banned

buy another black bay 41 and your collection is complete.
hbk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 02:55 AM   #7
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry98vert View Post
Really if I could call the owner and tell that person what was said I would love to hear the reaction of the owner.
So when are you going to spend the extra 2K?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:00 AM   #8
pepsiretail
Banned

Maybe just offer an extra 1k?
pepsiretail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:03 AM   #9
SlideRacker
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN Black
Pretty decent deal. Not great tho as many ADs will sell you a Sub with no strings attached if you play your cards right. But still worth doing and starting a relationship, somewhat.
SlideRacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:08 AM   #10
novae500
"TRF" Member

$2k is nothing. several places around here have told me $25k to be considered for a professional rolex.

326933 SkyDweller, 126711 GMT II CHNR
12600 DeepSea Seadweller
14060 No Date Submariner
16710 GMT II Pepsi N-Series, Coke F Series
novae500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:13 AM   #11
aparker973
"TRF" Member

I tend to shop at ADs that have different types of jewelry and brands. Historically it hasn't mattered, but more recently it's "helped"(?) with these conversations because if I haven't purchased a Rolex there, I've probably gotten something for my wife (earrings, necklace, etc.)

It looks like the place you are referring to has an array of jewelry options, so if you have a significant other in your life then perhaps buy a gift for them. If you're willing to play ball with this AD, that is.
aparker973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:16 AM   #12
Luke@TRF
"TRF" Member

It’s a bundle, hardly today’s news
Luke@TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:17 AM   #13
Luke@TRF
"TRF" Member

It’s a bundle, hardly today’s news
Luke@TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:17 AM   #14
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Like others have mentioned, that's probably not a half bad offer in this market, especially if they can "acquire" one for you fairly quickly. You'll pay more than that on secondary, and your name won't even be on the warranty. Spend a little more and get something else to show for it, maybe some earrings for the wife?

When I inquired about a GMT (BLRO) last year, my AD asked me the same question of how much I had spent with them. I had spent roughly $10k in jewelry in the previous 10 years, mostly on my wife's engagement and wedding bands. That wasn't nearly enough for a BLRO (they wanted $50k+ a year over the last several years...). I ended up getting the GMT LN instead, with a minimal wait time and to further establish my relationship with them; no extra purchase necessary (granted, not as "hot" of a watch as the Sub).

That was 9 months ago now, and it's a totally different market. Whatever you do, consider trying to start a relationship with the AD if you have other pieces you may be interested in in the future. Unless you feel like wasting an extra $2-10k every time.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:18 AM   #15
harvey
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novae500 View Post
$2k is nothing. several places around here have told me $25k to be considered for a professional rolex.
Really?! That is unbelievable...
harvey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:18 AM   #16
Tavli3
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II 16760
Count yourself as lucky. Either they laugh you out of the store or refuse to put you on a so called list for the privilege of ordering a watch. Many members have spent way more than 2K and still can't get a watch they want. Me included.
Tavli3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:24 AM   #17
Floorguy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tt datejust 16233
I’ve heard people saying that some AD’s tell you if you buy a PM watch they will “let” you purchase a SS! With that said, your offer doesn’t sound too bad. Me, on the other hand refuse to be extorted!!
Floorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:24 AM   #18
Muxi
"TRF" Member

Do it. Get another watch there. We’ll help you choose.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:26 AM   #19
mui.richard
"TRF" Member

2k? That's nothing man! I have spent 30k at my AD just on Rolex and Tudor alone in the last 5 years and I'm still not qualified for a BLRO or a Daytona, and all they could offer was to do a bundle deal when I wanted to get a BLRO with a 40% above MSRP markup.

Your deal is actually not half bad, given the current climate of the market.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk
mui.richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:27 AM   #20
rolexinfl
"TRF" Member

Tell them to shove that advice, and that you'll remember their antics when the market downturn occurs.
rolexinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:30 AM   #21
aparker973
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novae500 View Post
I have little reason to doubt you, but I assume this may be the number quoted for hit-and-run type clients.

A few ADs with VIP clients in the tri-state area have told me all it takes for, say, a Sub Date is to make a purchase in the store. Your "wait time" will be significantly reduced if you have some common courtesy and even stop in to say hi occasionally. Better chance for a repeat customer. They tend to clam up when the hit-and-run people call/stop in.
Old 18 June 2019, 03:31 AM   #22
Watchnerd8270
"TRF" Member

agree with alot of the other responses on this. However, I would atleast try and leverage it. If you agree to spend the additional $2K i would give them a drop dead date (and make it soon) by when they have to deliver on the sub. cant be a year from now, and personally i dont think thats an unfair ask of you, considering they probably get in 1-2 subs on a bi weekly basis, they ll just never tell you that.
Watchnerd8270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:34 AM   #23
m j b
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕& Ω
It's a shame that it has come to this. You guys are discussing how much extra, in the thousands of dollars, that you have to spend to buy a mass market commodity. There are sooooooooooooo many alternatives out there, and you don't have to wait a day or spend over MSRP to obtain it.

I really do like Rolex watches, but it has come to the point I fear, that once I sell my Daytona (and that's about to happen) that I may not return to the brand.

Disclaimer: Please note that the avatar is not an accurate representation of how I look. The camera adds 10 pounds...
m j b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:36 AM   #24
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 214270
Dealers extorting potential customers.

Nice.
Colin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:38 AM   #25
Colin G
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570, 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post

I really do like Rolex watches, but it has come to the point I fear, that once I sell my Daytona (and that's about to happen) that I may not return to the brand.
Make the potential buyer bundle.

But a nice, lightly used Daytona, and this fine used BBQ.
Colin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:49 AM   #26
aparker973
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m j b View Post
It's a shame that it has come to this. You guys are discussing how much extra, in the thousands of dollars, that you have to spend to buy a mass market commodity. There are sooooooooooooo many alternatives out there, and you don't have to wait a day or spend over MSRP to obtain it.

I agree, and I have never paid a premium for a Rolex. It's unfortunate, but it's the state of the industry.

As to the 'mass produced/mass market commodity' comment I see in many threads now-- Rolexes have a fixed MSRP per reference (in each country), with no easy mechanism for ADs or Rolex to adjust price to reflect supply and demand in a timely manner.

Some of the largest sellers of commodities (to end consumers) worldwide-- grocery stores and gas stations-- do have this mechanism. Grains, livestock, coffee, oil, etc can fluctuate multiple % per day and can easily be halved or doubled over the course of a year (or less). These changes can typically be passed on to consumers.

So, I understand the sentiment and feel similarly, but don't really follow the suggestion that the supply/demand & price dynamic should be any different than it currently is. ADs feel like they are selling something at a discount to fair market value (which they are), and put themselves in a situation where they can maximize value to their firm.

It sucks, but it's just the way it is for now. Over time this will revert, save for a few references.
Old 18 June 2019, 03:54 AM   #27
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I wouldn't accept that kind offer.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:58 AM   #28
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexinfl View Post
Tell them to shove that advice, and that you'll remember their antics when the market downturn occurs.
That's one way to ensure you never get the watch you want at an AD...

It's tough in this market to even get into the game, so paying an extra $2,000 for an entry card isn't much, IMO, especially when you could go spend the same $11,000 at a Grey and not have anything else to show for the extra $2,000 spent. Everyone tells the newbies on here "the best way to get the pieces you want is to build a relationship with an AD" but the reality is that "relationship" is built on spending money.

The OP is a new buyer, so like someone else said, this may be the AD's way of attempting to prevent flippers and only sell to real customers, as an unproven buyer in this market is seen as a potential flipper.

The situation is much different from even a year ago, so people have to adapt when "rules" change. If this is his best opportunity, I'd say take it.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 June 2019, 03:59 AM   #29
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry98vert View Post
I went into a Ben Bridge,authorized rolex dealer, in Torrance CA. Inquired about a Submariner, the sales lady asked if I ever bought anything at there store. I said no thinking like what does that matter, she said that I can be put on a wait list but since I am not a so called Ben Bridge shopper I would need to purchase an extra $2000 on top of the watch.

I am was thinking to myself sure I am going to buy a $9000 watch and pay another $2000 in another product, not going to happen. Really if I could call the owner and tell that person what was said I would love to hear the reaction of the owner.
Welcome. Stay a while and read a little
Old 18 June 2019, 04:10 AM   #30
maxymax
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexinfl View Post
This and just report them to the Rolex head office. Don't encourage the practice.
maxymax is offline   Reply With Quote