The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 July 2019, 11:22 PM   #31
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuber View Post
Hmm, this in interesting since my last email conversation with RSC is:

My question: "if I get the original parts and have it replaced by an independent watchmaker, would you serivce the watch once it is back to the factory specification?"

and the answer was:

"Yes, we would certainly service the watch in the future if it were to be received again with the correct dial, insert and hands fitted."
Of course they will service once it's back to the original spec.you do know Rolex rsc make these type of mix and match watches themselves for customers when they service watches and need to replace parts ,for instance they may replace a dial with a slighty diffent layout to the one that was original to the watch ,and hands and even the movement on occasions along with other parts like clasp .And sometime the parts are not even period correct to the original spec . tritium dials replaced with a new dials or the date disc changed for one that has a slightly different font.inserts changed for slightly diffent ones .rsc use what ever parts they have in the parts bin they don't even care about it being period correct at all.as long as the parts are oem

If you take in a Rolex Kermit with a damaged pointed 4 insert to rsc you will get a replacement with the new skool flat 4 insert.or if you take a 2003 for lv into rsc and they want to swap dial they will give you the new 2010 random serial dial that's has a layout like a 116610 ,

As that's all they have in the parts bin at the time
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 08:30 PM   #32
Sweetswisssteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126618LB
Quote:
I have asked them for that and they say: "Regrettably, the black maxi dial and green bezel insert for a 16610LV are supplied on a strict Geneva exchange basis only, therefore we are unable to obtain these components unless we have the originals to return."

So, in that case they will not bring the watch back to the way it left the factory.

And I think the above is the reason for very high prices of these parts right now.
Obviously you simply asked for the parts. They will never sell a punter parts, you always will need to send the watch in. Just send the watch to Rolex.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Sweetswisssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 08:48 PM   #33
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaching View Post
Who in their right mind would convert a LV to a regular Submariner! Plus go through all the trouble dial and hands!!! Something is off here.......
Have to agree make no sense whatsoever.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 10:33 PM   #34
escobar144
Banned

Watch: Submariner/DJ 41
this right here is why I hate buying preowned watches. You truly never know what your gonna get. I have read multiple stories of resellers doing things like switching out casebacks, swapping links from watches etc. but this one takes the cake. I dont care if im over paying, im always gonna buy new. Which is a shame since I love vintage subs
escobar144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 10:50 PM   #35
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
Crazy how one would want to do this in the first place, another reason to buy a full set anything or if no papers then at least the RSC service card for piece of mind.
Old 14 July 2019, 11:42 PM   #36
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Hi OP.

How are you getting on with your search for the parts?
Old 15 July 2019, 01:37 AM   #37
Ballzzz
2024 Pledge Member

This is why I can’t confidently purchase an LV, except for the two gents I know who purchased it new from AD’s, otherwise stuff like this is always in my head.

OP - if I was in your shoes I would continue dialogue with Rolex and keep pounding away that they are trying to follow standard protocol for a unique occurrence. They state the watch left the factory as an LV, you are willing to pay to have it returned to complete OEM, it makes no sense why they will not oblige. Your not asking for them to make a concession or change a color, simply “return to oem”. They can take all the Rolex parts off your current setup in lieu of the lv parts. I would not stop until they understood your situation, and simply returned the watch back to original spec at your expensive of course.
Old 15 July 2019, 02:21 AM   #38
VEK
"TRF" Member

Watch: only Rolex
With all the cost and effort restoring to the original, I would hunt for a real LV while it is still plenty available,
Good luck to your decision
VEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 05:46 AM   #39
zuber
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Hi again,
I can buy parts as on photos. These are from seller that is recommended by one of TRF member. Seller is not on TRF.
Could you have a look and give your opinion about these parts? Are these genuine? Are these the one I need?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hands.jpg (195.7 KB, 708 views)
File Type: jpg Dial 1.jpg (180.5 KB, 707 views)
File Type: jpg Dial 2.jpg (196.8 KB, 705 views)
File Type: jpg Dial back 1.jpg (196.6 KB, 705 views)
File Type: jpg Dial back 2.jpg (214.3 KB, 708 views)
zuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 06:08 AM   #40
iheartrolexx
Banned

can't wait to see the finished pictures
iheartrolexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 06:12 AM   #41
Johny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi again,
I can buy parts as on photos. These are from seller that is recommended by one of TRF member. Seller is not on TRF.
Could you have a look and give your opinion about these parts? Are these genuine? Are these the one I need?
Is the lume on the dial green?
Old 25 July 2019, 06:20 AM   #42
afjag256
"TRF" Member

I had one of these awhile back and sourced a black bezel insert to swap out at times. But I have no idea why someone would have swapped out the maxi dial and hands. So bizarre.
afjag256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2019, 06:36 PM   #43
zuber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Is the lume on the dial green?
He said it is green. It is not very clear from the photos though.
What about the back of the dial?
Does is mean anything? These numbers?
Old 25 July 2019, 11:11 PM   #44
Johny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ask the seller.
Old 26 July 2019, 12:01 AM   #45
Jarlaxle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Who in their right mind would convert a LV to a regular Submariner! Plus go through all the trouble dial and hands!!! Something is off here.......
+1. Doesn't make any sense at all.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2019, 03:38 AM   #46
Johny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi

If you can get better pics the forum experts could have a good look at it for you.
Old 26 July 2019, 03:43 AM   #47
zuber
"TRF" Member

Thanks, I will ask him about dial.
In the mean time. What about the hands? Are these numbers correct for 16610LV?
Old 26 July 2019, 04:21 AM   #48
SearChart
TechXpert

I'd have to check to numbers for you tomorrow. Hands are not sealed like this. They come in a paper wrap and then in a plastic box with foam, not a sealed bag like that.

And please don't hold your dial like that, you're getting grease stains all over it and won't be able to remove them...
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2019, 05:10 AM   #49
zuber
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I'd have to check to numbers for you tomorrow. Hands are not sealed like this. They come in a paper wrap and then in a plastic box with foam, not a sealed bag like that.

And please don't hold your dial like that, you're getting grease stains all over it and won't be able to remove them...
Thanks for that.
Pictures are from the seller, I have not seen the parts. Seller is in the US and I am in the UK.

Have a look at more photos. I have asked about the lume colour and have got comparison and confirmation, it is really green.

Green is on the left. Last photo shows blue lime just for comparison.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dial comparison 1.jpg (117.2 KB, 590 views)
File Type: jpg Dial comparison 2.jpg (115.6 KB, 591 views)
File Type: jpg Dial comparison 3.jpg (156.4 KB, 593 views)
File Type: jpg Dial comparison 4.jpg (162.5 KB, 592 views)
File Type: jpg Dial Blue.jpg (166.5 KB, 591 views)
Old 26 July 2019, 07:53 PM   #50
SearChart
TechXpert

The numbers shown on your hands' packaging are correct for a 16610LV.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2019, 08:30 PM   #51
Kostas
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: @ kostastimepieces
I understand the original owner not liking the green bezel , but changing the hands and dial doesn’t make sense!
Kostas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2019, 08:32 PM   #52
Zed82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostas View Post
I understand the original owner not liking the green bezel , but changing the hands and dial doesn’t make sense!
Back in 2006 LV:s were not that popular. Also there is a chance the watch was damaged by moisture and the owners only option to fix it cheap was to install the LN:s dial and hands.
Old 26 July 2019, 08:39 PM   #53
cpefy3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16014, 16600
Quote:
An unscrupulous seller (who is able to swap them out) trying to make a quick profit. As we have seen, the LV inserts and Maxi dial/hands command a premium compared to their LN counterparts. So they simply buy new LN parts install and sell the LV parts separate. Just a guess though.
After you do source them, I would definitely have an independent watchmaker install them and then have RSC do a full service. This way you will receive new "papers" showing that it is a true LV. Keep us updated, and Good Luck!!
cpefy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2019, 09:22 PM   #54
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Over $4000 for an LV dial? How much will it cost to replace and install all the LV parts to restore it to original. Maybe another grand for hands and factor in the cost of the bezel.

Wouldn't returning the watch and looking for a true Hulk be less costly
and less trouble? And, why did the lunatic switch all those parts? That's rhetorical but baffling.

I implore you to return the watch. The seller is guilty of misrepresenting the article. Best of luck sir.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 July 2019, 11:12 PM   #55
afjag256
"TRF" Member

I’m wondering if this watch was put together from many different subs, but the case is from an LV. Thus, when it was sent in, RSC identified it as an LV based on the case serial number.
afjag256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2019, 12:31 AM   #56
Bryan81
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
I can certainly understand Rolex not wanting to put LV bezel, dial, hands, etc. on the watch without those corresponding parts being turned in. Otherwise, people would strip those high value parts off the watch, convert a normal Sub into an LV, and then send the LV "sans LV parts" back to Rolex to get new LV parts. The consequence is enabling people to convert their normal Subs into higher value LV subs.
Bryan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2019, 12:50 AM   #57
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I am no watch expert, but this just doesn't make sense. Someone had an LV, wanted to make it look more like a traditional LN, then went through the trouble of not only replacing the bezel, but the hands/dial as well? Now Rolex is stating that they won't return the watch to original spec without the proper maxi components? It doesn't add up. I was under the impression that Rolex was obligated to return the watch to original spec when a service takes place even if OEM parts non-original to the watch are in place.

This seems like a lot more trouble than it is worth with possible deception involved. I'd pass here.
Ravager135 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2019, 01:38 AM   #58
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That’s what I was thinking. Doesn’t make sense.
Old 27 July 2019, 01:47 AM   #59
Rokoru
"TRF" Member

Looks like somebody just is seeking for information to convert a 16610 into a LV.
Rokoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2019, 01:47 AM   #60
VonDutch
"TRF" Member

Please excuse my ignorance here... but who in their right mind would convert a Kermit to a standard model... bezel AND dial... something not right here... hummmm!
VonDutch is offline   Reply With Quote