The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 July 2019, 05:57 AM   #31
jinikari01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai-man View Post
Sorry for the long post and welcome to the forum Sabzali It’s usually friendlier for first time posters.

oh no, I am going to get shot down so badly for this one.

I have never read such a steam of unsympathetic comments in a single thread before, how I miss the old days on this forum. I would agree with most of the comments if we were talking about a small independent, but this is the mighty Rolex with massive worldwide resources.

I see I’m all alone on this, but I feel Rolex has let the OP down on this one. I agree in this case Rolex are not "obliged to fix for free", but that doesn’t mean they couldn’t or even shouldn’t. Rolex and all the fanboyz on this forum keep peddling how brilliant Rolex customer service is, but in reality, you’re really only getting what you actually paid Rolex a lot of money for. Do they do a great job, absolutely, but again that is what YOU PAID them top dollar for. Although in many cases you’re NOT actually getting what you payed top dollar for, especially if you ask for no polish/refinishing which can be one of the most time consuming and expensive parts of the service cost, at least PP have the decency to charge separately for this.

For me great customer service is about caring and understanding, resolving each unique situation on a case by case basis, not working too the letter of the warranty agreement with a hard hand and unbendable rules. Rolex should be more caring and flexible with a little give and take in rare cases like this, OK so it’s 6 months out of warranty, but a fee was paid for a service Rolex said would last 10 years, to charge again seems a bit harsh to me. They are not a small indy struggling to make a living, they have thousands of staff and huge resources. It’s not like they are getting hundreds of cases like this every year, or are they?

In this case if I was the RSC manager I would be apologising to the OP explaining that while Rolex test rigorously, the final testing can only be done on the wrist, this is very rare, but these things happen blah blah blah. I’d offer a one-off free repair, without any further warranty making it abundantly clear Rolex is NOT “legally required” to do this. That for me would not only be “excellent customer service”, but also, it’s the right and decent thing to do.

Rolex could learn a lot from Apple and Omega, the UK Apple store replaced my failed I-phone 14 months out of warranty, replaced a non-charging I-pod touch over 2 years out of warranty, they even changed an I-phone 8 with a hair line cracked screen, all offered BY THEM for free even though I was willing to pay. Omega UK SC repaired my hard to wind Speedmaster Pro for free, 9 months after the service warranty expired. Granted it had not failed and was working but they didn’t have to do it, no quibble, no charge.

FRYING TONIGHT.....Let the flaming begin, I’m ready!!
PREACH brotha!

Things can break but com'on Rolex just 6 months after warranty period ends you're giving the cold shoulder with a petty discount. Not cool.

A friend of mine Audi S5 transmission blew out while driving down a road. Towed it over to the Audi dealer he purchased from. And even though his warranty had expired 5 months ago. Audi honored it and took care of him...

I thought Rolex took pride in their work. This is a let down for me.
jinikari01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 06:37 AM   #32
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Splendid first post.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 06:48 AM   #33
afjag256
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You really think that.
That watch was produced in the 70s and 80s. Do the math. (Or perhaps this is a comment on my lack of subtlety.:))
afjag256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 08:29 AM   #34
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afjag256 View Post
That watch was produced in the 70s and 80s. Do the math. (Or perhaps this is a comment on my lack of subtlety.:))
No subtlety intended, it was a post on your lack of knowledge. OK, let’s scrap any Rolex older than the 80’s, you do realise many on here consider 80’s + a modern piece, get real bud.

Let’s all hope your never left in charge of any important vintage pieces, please just stick to the modern “investment” models.
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 08:34 AM   #35
shawn13ca
"TRF" Member

it's funny how, and i don't know why that is, but it seems that the love we got for the brand is allowing us to forgive a lot of things. What would you say to a fridge maker whose machines are breaking 6 months after the end of a warranty? I am sure a lot would be saying that this fridge maker is a scammer installing faulty pieces designed to break. You would say the same of a car maker. But Rolex? The brand priding itself on perfection and durability? No. It happens… I am astonished with my own experience owning a Rolex. Lack of quality control, time in the repair shop, no apologies whatsoever. What is the backbone of Rolex? Durability. They are tool watches. And the President is their flagship. It should not break, and when it does repairs should be covered. Service is even free on most new cars costing less than a day-date nowadays! The OP was treated like crap by Rolex unfortunately. And I am afraid they are really not going in the right direction.
shawn13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 09:17 AM   #36
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Sometimes stuff breaks.

There is nothing in your comment that would "reflect poorly on Rolex". In fact, it seems that they are giving you a discount even though it is past the original warranty period of the previous service.

Sorry that this happened to you, but it seems from the thousands of threads here that this is certainly not the norm with Rolex watches.
+1
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 09:33 AM   #37
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Sometimes stuff breaks.

There is nothing in your comment that would "reflect poorly on Rolex". In fact, it seems that they are giving you a discount even though it is past the original warranty period of the previous service.

Sorry that this happened to you, but it seems from the thousands of threads here that this is certainly not the norm with Rolex watches.
I realize that this situation both hurts and sucks, and I would be upset too, I think, BUT in spite of that, I believe that Larry is correct on this.

What is unfortunate is that Rolex does not / will not shed light on what the actual problem was.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 10:43 AM   #38
afjag256
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No subtlety intended, it was a post on your lack of knowledge. OK, let’s scrap any Rolex older than the 80’s, you do realise many on here consider 80’s + a modern piece, get real bud.

Let’s all hope your never left in charge of any important vintage pieces, please just stick to the modern “investment” models.
Haha...no need to get personal friendO. Did I hit a nerve? Did you not realize that the 70s and 80’s were so long ago? I never said anything about scrapping the watch.

If you bought a nice sports car from the 70s/80s and took it in for servicing and a tune up, would you expect the dealership to warranty the power train for even two years ? This was a service, not an overhaul. Even a new Rolex doesn’t come with a 10 year warranty (I'm not sure where this 10-year service interval idea got started). Mechanical things wear out. Even with good maintenance, anything “high mileage” runs the risk of failing.

Perhaps when Rolex opens it up, they may find a service part they overlooked that should have been handled during the service. And maybe even getting a freebie from time to time is good for customer loyalty, but maybe OP should try a little charm and not be upset if he doesn’t get his way on this one.

BTW, a watch that old may be considered "modern design" by some, but I think if you do an internet search, it is near-vintage mechanically. I get that collectors don't want to replace any original part, even on the movement, but there is always the risk of something failing.
Old 13 July 2019, 10:44 AM   #39
watchtung
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16700, bb 58, kira
ah man. Sometimes you get a lemon.
watchtung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 01:03 PM   #40
Zack1978
"TRF" Member

Next time use Rik@Time Care Inc.
Zack1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 07:57 PM   #41
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haha...no need to get personal friendO. Did I hit a nerve? Did you not realize that the 70s and 80’s were so long ago? I never said anything about scrapping the watch.

If you bought a nice sports car from the 70s/80s and took it in for servicing and a tune up, would you expect the dealership to warranty the power train for even two years ? This was a service, not an overhaul. Even a new Rolex doesn’t come with a 10 year warranty (I'm not sure where this 10-year service interval idea got started). Mechanical things wear out. Even with good maintenance, anything “high mileage” runs the risk of failing.

Perhaps when Rolex opens it up, they may find a service part they overlooked that should have been handled during the service. And maybe even getting a freebie from time to time is good for customer loyalty, but maybe OP should try a little charm and not be upset if he doesn’t get his way on this one.

BTW, a watch that old may be considered "modern design" by some, but I think if you do an internet search, it is near-vintage mechanically. I get that collectors don't want to replace any original part, even on the movement, but there is always the risk of something failing.
Sorry, I was not being personal, just matter of fact. It makes a change to debate watches instead of shortages and grey prices though.

As I said previously Rolex are correct to the law and the letter, I just feel it's a hard corporate desision and this rare case could have been handled differently.

I don't want to get into a keyboard war, but I'd like to address a few points.

YES I do expect Rolex to do what they say on the Rolex website, replacing ANY worn or broken parts both inside and out, being meticulous and not overlooking anything.

A Rolex full service is a complete "overhaul" and refurbish inside and out to the original "as new" factory specifications, it's just called a full service not an overhaul. The watch should be returned to to OP in essentially a brand new condition after the service, unless they asked for no polishing.

I was referring to the service interval of 10 years, not the service guarantee which is 2 years on service. Incedenly when this watch was new it came with only 2 years guarantee, the 5 year warranty is a recent thing.

This "10 year service thing got started" because Rolex claim no further intervention is required after a full service for 10 years on the official Rolex website.

I include some extracts from the official Rolex website to save you looking them up.

The Rolex service procedure is designed to ensure that every timepiece leaving a Rolex workshop complies with its original functional and aesthetic specifications. Each movement is completely overhauled and each case and bracelet is meticulously refinished to restore its lustre

How often do I need to service a Rolex?
To guarantee continued accuracy and waterproofness, Rolex recommends that you periodically return your watch to an Official Rolex Retailer or Service Centre for professional servicing. It is recommended to service your Rolex approximately every 10 years depending on the model and real-life usage
Old 13 July 2019, 08:11 PM   #42
shawn13ca
"TRF" Member

If I bought a vintage Ferrari and I sent it back to Ferrari for a complete overhaul, I would expect it to work perfectly for a while, vintage or not.
shawn13ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2019, 08:30 PM   #43
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Well I guess this is better than an investment thread, but the vindictiveness over having different ideas of what right looks like reminds me of Congress.
Old 13 July 2019, 08:32 PM   #44
VacherObsessive
"TRF" Member

Quote:

If you bought a nice sports car from the 70s/80s and took it in for servicing and a tune up, would you expect the dealership to warranty the power train for even two years ? This was a service, not an overhaul. Even a new Rolex doesn’t come with a 10 year warranty (I'm not sure where this 10-year service interval idea got started
They do offer 10yrs in some london ADs
VacherObsessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 04:14 AM   #45
Late
"TRF" Member

Watch: space too short
Quote:
Sorry, I was not being personal, just matter of fact. It makes a change to debate watches instead of shortages and grey prices though.
I've been lurking, not posting, here, but you have absolutely being personal, plus unpleasant. You've been insulting anyone with an opinion different than yours. And your opinion is detached from reality... the "service" of the decades-old watch is not a full replacement of everything in it, and it has a time-limited warranty for a reason. That time was exceeded by 25%. Very few businesses would "fix for free" a problem like that. Next you'll be advocating that they should replace the entire watch!

I sympathize with the O.P., because it sucks that it happened, but as a businessman, his lack of gratitude for the discount seems the problem. Rolex did go beyond the warranty by providing the discount.
Late is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 05:34 AM   #46
Brew
"TRF" Member

Rolex's compliance with its warranty is the bare-minimum requirement. The company gets no points for meeting this commitment. A company that wants to thrill its customers must do better than merely not breach its contracts, and a bit of a discount doesn't measure up, imo.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 05:43 AM   #47
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Rolex's compliance with its warranty is the bare-minimum requirement. The company gets no points for meeting this commitment. A company that wants to thrill its customers must do better than merely not breach its contracts, and a bit of a discount doesn't measure up, imo.
I disagree. No matter where you draw the line in the sand there’s always going to be someone just outside of the time limit that is going to be disappointed.

Offering a discounted price is a concession to acknowledge the disappointment. Doing it for free no questions asked is a bad CS policy because it makes a fool out of the people that don’t complain and accept that when the warranty expires you are on borrowed time, so to speak.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 05:59 AM   #48
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchmaker View Post
I disagree. No matter where you draw the line in the sand there’s always going to be someone just outside of the time limit that is going to be disappointed.

Offering a discounted price is a concession to acknowledge the disappointment. Doing it for free no questions asked is a bad CS policy because it makes a fool out of the people that don’t complain and accept that when the warranty expires you are on borrowed time, so to speak.
I appreciate your perspective. But I've yet to meet a customer who was unhappy with more than the bare minimum, or felt fooled to later learn that all she had to do was ask. I don't know that "free" is the answer, but merely keeping contracts wins a service provider/vendor no extra credit.

I think Rolex represents itself as more than an above-average, or a bare-minimum company.
Old 14 July 2019, 06:00 AM   #49
afjag256
"TRF" Member

OP doesn’t say what was done during the service. On a watch that age, the RSC will give you different options because they know some owners want to keep the watch as original as possible. So a service doesn’t always mean overhaul. If it was an overhaul, then I’m more sympathetic. But Rolex is already doing more than “not breaching it’s contract.”

As for the 10-year service interval, I think of you look at other watch websites, they provide shorter service intervals for a watch over 10 years old, and basically say a vintage watch shouldn’t be messed with at all so long as it’s functional. They also say not to wear it everyday like you would a newer watch. Don’t overlook Rolex’s caveat, “depending on the model and real life usage.” If a London AD offers 10-years, that extra 5-years is likely an in-house AD warranty....and that is on a brand new modern watch.
Old 14 July 2019, 06:03 AM   #50
Jamesw20
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
I feel your pain. I’ve had Rolex watches break 1 year after warranty expired as well and these were new from AD. But just like my Range Rover, which always seems to be in the shop, the more money I spend on luxury goods the more the cost and time for upkeep. As a good friend of mine who is a luxury car and Rolex collector once said, “we love watches and cars that inspire but that can be temperamental. If you want dependable buy timex and Toyota.”
Jamesw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 06:21 AM   #51
watchmaker
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
I appreciate your perspective. But I've yet to meet a customer who was unhappy with more than the bare minimum, or felt fooled to later learn that all she had to do was ask. I don't know that "free" is the answer, but merely keeping contracts wins a service provider/vendor no extra credit.

I think Rolex represents itself as more than an above-average, or a bare-minimum company.
Keeping to the contract would, in my view, be telling the customer the warranty is expired so you have to pay in full again. That’s not what was presented to the OP, he was offered a discount. Which is somewhere in the middle of keeping to the contract and doing it for free (which you have said yourself isn’t necessarily the answer).

Seems fair does it not?

Also without seeing the watch I cannot judge how much goodwill should be extended. That’s normally a case by case decision based on condition changes since last service. Just because someone says they’ve not dropped or knocked the watch doesn’t mean it’s true.
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 06:46 AM   #52
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:

I concur. Regardless of disappointment, bad feelings, etc. after the STATED 2 YEAR warranty expires, legally Rolex is in NO WAY responsible or legally bound (morality and decency aside) to perform any service free of charge beyond this point. To offer a discount is a fair compromise, an arrangement that would satisfy most people. (Me included) Bad luck happens, and it's something to learn from and move on.

Sorry this happened to the OP, but what did he expect? Others insinuating a free *overhaul* was in order is fine and dandy, but is hardly realistic. Depending on the AD, they can be wonderful or miserable when dealing with after the fact sales. My AD gave me free Rolex spring bars, yet I've heard of AD's charging $25-50 a set to customers. (Who *have* bought their watches from them.)

The details are kind of scarce too: how was the OP's state of mind when addressing the Rolex employee? Angry? Hurt? Polite and friendly? Grateful? These personal interactions can massively, and often do, affect the outcome of resolving 'touchy' situations. Tip: Friendy is cost-free and never hurts.

What about the problem itself? What part(s) failed and is it possible to speculate why? Could it reoccurr anytime soon or are there preventive measures to avoid another failure? Basically, what's *their* side of the problem. Offering discounted service is no admission of guilt.

This thread is interesting in that the majority seem to feel Rolex acted properly, myself included. Others disagree with points that merit such a conclusion. Comparisons to Omega Apple, or whomever while interesting are not really germaine as many folks hate Apple's CS or might have had problems with Omega. (Not sure about Omega, but no brand is universally LOVED so my assumption, for arguments sake, is valid for this exercise)

As said, I think Rolex acted fairly, even generously. Sure they could've given the free overhaul but as one poster said, it would make them look foolish to cater to the whims of one customer's over expectations. Half a YEAR is a long time past warranty expiration no matter how one looks at it. The OP should exercise realistic expectations in the Real World since there are enough cold, brutal by-the-book retailers that would have not only refused any discussion, let alone help but would have laughed him out the door for expecting free work after six months. Yes, it's a drag when these things happen, but they darken everyone's doorway at one time or another. Just fix the watch, enjoy the fact it didn't cost more and, dammit, be happy you're blessed enough to have funds for food, shelter and luxury items to make life pleasant- many do not.

Just my take guys.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 06:49 AM   #53
Brew
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Keeping to the contract would, in my view, be telling the customer the warranty is expired so you have to pay in full again. That’s not what was presented to the OP, he was offered a discount. Which is somewhere in the middle of keeping to the contract and doing it for free (which you have said yourself isn’t necessarily the answer).

Seems fair does it not?

Also without seeing the watch I cannot judge how much goodwill should be extended. That’s normally a case by case decision based on condition changes since last service. Just because someone says they’ve not dropped or knocked the watch doesn’t mean it’s true.
I agree these sorts of unfortunate events are handled on a case by case basis. But OP apparently did not think the "slight" discount was "fair," given the circumstances. Without more information, it's hard to make a call here. So I err on the side of the guy paying his hard earned $$ for a superlative watch and superlative service.

Note also, I recognize that an independent watchmaker may handle this much differently than Rolex.

I appreciate your time and responses. Thank you.
Old 14 July 2019, 07:27 AM   #54
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late View Post
I've been lurking, not posting, here, but you have absolutely being personal, plus unpleasant. You've been insulting anyone with an opinion different than yours. And your opinion is detached from reality... the "service" of the decades-old watch is not a full replacement of everything in it, and it has a time-limited warranty for a reason. That time was exceeded by 25%. Very few businesses would "fix for free" a problem like that. Next you'll be advocating that they should replace the entire watch!

I sympathize with the O.P., because it sucks that it happened, but as a businessman, his lack of gratitude for the discount seems the problem. Rolex did go beyond the warranty by providing the discount.
Wow, you need to calm down and stop being personal friend.
Old 14 July 2019, 07:48 AM   #55
Kowaco
"TRF" Member

Watch: G Shock
The question is if it quit working 20 years from now would you be upset, if the answer is no keep moving the clock back to figure out when you would become upset

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kowaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 07:10 PM   #56
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

My experience of customer service is so different to the majority in this thread I must have been extremely lucky over the years. I have had many free fixes and out of warranty repairs. I have been given money off vouchers, huge discounts, free fitting and free gifts from large corporations to the village corner store all delighted just to resolve the issue for me.

Don’t get me wrong, it depends on the item, it’s value and it’s use. It also depends on how you engage, your own expectations and how comfortable you feel complaining. I found most companies usually help even if they are not legally bound to do so, to me it’s not surprising after all they are just people with feelings like the rest of us.

I feel we will not be getting the result of this one. I suspect the OP expected more sympathy and understanding from fellow Rolex owners for their first post so has stayed quiet. Hopefully they are not discouraged from engaging in the future.

It’s been a good debate guys. but I think it’s time for me to move on to the next thread.
Old 14 July 2019, 08:26 PM   #57
Jamie1111
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justingtr View Post
If they're giving you a discount on a service after the 2 year warranty I don't see how that reflects poorly on them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jamie1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2019, 09:01 PM   #58
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I would need to see the quote for the previous service and a list of the work that was accepted.
I would need to see the quote to repair the latest issue and identify the items required for the repair.
Then I could comment on the situation.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote