The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 September 2020, 07:48 AM   #1
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
Spring bar jammed

I just bought a Tudor Snowflake today and went to remove the bracelet only to find one of the spring bars is frozen. I have a spring bar tool and have applied pressure to both sides of the pin with no movement what so ever. Any suggestions? Never had this happen before.

Thanks?
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 07:52 AM   #2
KatGirl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
You might have to take it to a jeweler. You Don’t want to eff up the bracelet or the lugs.
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 07:57 AM   #3
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Trying to avoid any damage :)

I was thinking some oil to start but was looking for tips. The sizing pin on the bracelet is also seized but I think if I can get the bracelet off soaking it will solve the bracelet pin.

Old 29 September 2020, 08:12 AM   #4
Rick Deckard
"TRF" Member

Try moderate heat (no heat gun). I was successful once on my 16030 with a hand held steam cleaner. It can't mess anything up, so it may be worth a try.

Lineup: 1601 (SD) - 16030 (SD) - 126334 (BLSO) -116600 - 116610LV Mk.III - 126610LV - 126710BLRO Mk.III (Jubilee/Oyster) - 116500LN-0072 (BD/SD)
Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 08:54 AM   #5
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Not sure the watch is water proof so a little nervous about steaming it. I am going to try a couple drops of oil to see if I can free it up unless anyone has a better suggestion.
Not sure if it’s bent but neither end will compress, usually at least one will compress but both are solid and won’t budge.

Old 29 September 2020, 03:36 PM   #6
SearChart
TechXpert

Happens quite frequently with Rolex/Tudor springbars.

Press the springbar itself down on a hard surface, and really press it hard, it will click and jump back out to it's normal position.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 08:34 PM   #7
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
Happens quite frequently with Rolex/Tudor springbars.

Press the springbar itself down on a hard surface, and really press it hard, it will click and jump back out to it's normal position.
It’s still in the lug so I don’t want to scratch or damage the lug. I can’t get behind the 580 end piece which is a tight fit. I have a spring bar tool and have applied a lot of pressure to each side of the bar with no movement whatsoever.

Old 1 October 2020, 02:14 AM   #8
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Okay so my watchmaker is out until next week. I managed to get one side of the spring bar loose and was able to remove it however the other end is corroded in the lug hole. I am using a spring bar tool to try to pop it out. Any suggestions on a solvent that might help loosen it. I have been using WD40 but was not sure if goof off or similar was safe.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C1104047-FDE3-487E-8E4F-E45863DD5A60.jpeg (62.7 KB, 201 views)
Old 1 October 2020, 02:26 AM   #9
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

That is some serious corrosion on the springbar. have you tried putting just the lug in hot water? If the water isn't boiling or just sits for a second there shouldn't be enough steam to cause any damage to the watch and I literally mean just the lug in the water.
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 04:56 AM   #10
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERITAGE82 View Post
That is some serious corrosion on the springbar. have you tried putting just the lug in hot water? If the water isn't boiling or just sits for a second there shouldn't be enough steam to cause any damage to the watch and I literally mean just the lug in the water.
Yes tried it but no luck. Soaked the lug in wd 40 as well. Heated Jewlers cleaner and soaked it but no luck.

Old 1 October 2020, 06:57 AM   #11
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
At this point I side with Kat.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2020, 07:18 AM   #12
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

I would have taken it right to my watchmaker but did not want to wait a week as he is on holiday.

Good news, I finally got it out with no damage to the lug hole or scratches on the lug thanks to electrical tape. I used lighter fluid which seemed to be the only thing to loosen the corrosion. I was able to tap my spring bar tool with a hammer until it finally gave way.

Never seen anything like this before. The pin on the clasp was also seized but is fine after I soaked the bracelet. I think the watch has been sitting in a safe for a very long time.

Old 2 October 2020, 04:03 AM   #13
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
Yes tried it but no luck. Soaked the lug in wd 40 as well. Heated Jewlers cleaner and soaked it but no luck.
WD-40 is really only for water displacement. Never had any luck with stuck bolts, etc.

Hmm, apply a small amount of PB using a small paint brush and let soak in.

https://amzn.to/3ilD6iX

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 04:17 AM   #14
KatGirl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Reminds me of the time I bought a brand new tegmented bracelet for my Sinn, and tried to size it. I have all the correct tools, but could not unscrew the links. I even shed blood while working on it, when the screw driver slipped and gouged my other hand. I called up the dealer and he told me a crazy story about a mishap at the factory, where they used the wrong strength of Loctite, when assembling the bracelet. In the end, they had to send me a new bracelet. The things we go through, for the love of watches!
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 06:48 AM   #15
Ron P
"TRF" Member

Loctite will normally loosen up when heating. So next time hold it for a small moment above a lighter or something like that and the loctite will give way.
Ron P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 07:21 AM   #16
77T
2024 Pledge Member

I’d wait and let your watchmaker finish the job. He’ll need to clean out the remnants of the corroded pins from the lugholes and maybe do some drilling.

That watch was likely put away dirty for a long time. And judging from the wear seen on the underside of the lugs, was worn hard for a good while.

Did the seller give you any service history? If not... hope the price reflected the need for a full overhaul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2020, 10:04 AM   #17
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

[QUOTE=77T;10961540]I’d wait and let your watchmaker finish the job. He’ll need to clean out the remnants of the corroded pins from the lugholes and maybe do some drilling.

That watch was likely put away dirty for a long time. And judging from the wear seen on the underside of the lugs, was worn hard for a good while.

Did the seller give you any service history? If not... hope the price reflected the need for a full overhaul.

Nothing to finish it’s all good, the wear you see is from the end links. The watch is actually unpolished and a very nice example. Just crazy that the spring bar corroded in the lug hole like it did.