The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 September 2020, 07:39 AM   #1
Gary.
"TRF" Member

126610lv has been out for a few weeks...

....and there are already 56 for sale (at ludicrous prices) on a certain well known online watch market.

But, yeah, tell me again how you can't get your watch because Rolex are cynically starving your poor AD of the desirable models.
Gary. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 07:43 AM   #2
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
It is speculation how those watches ended up for re-sale, but it is too bad these watches did not first go to retail purchasers for their own personal use and wearing enjoyment. But a lot of quick profits in this weird market.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 07:44 AM   #3
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
You want one then.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 07:51 AM   #4
Gary.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onikage View Post
You want one then.
Got one, thanks. RRP. From a dealer who isn't playing these games and blaming their supplier.
Old 29 September 2020, 07:55 AM   #5
Gary.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
It is speculation how those watches ended up for re-sale, but it is too bad these watches did not first go to retail purchasers for their own personal use and wearing enjoyment. But a lot of quick profits in this weird market.
It isn't speculation to say that every one of them came from an AD.
Old 29 September 2020, 08:22 AM   #6
Oyster Al
"TRF" Member

Let’s say there are 56 countries ( actually much more) where Rolex sells watches. That’s 1 per country.
Oyster Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 08:23 AM   #7
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
Got both 126610LN & 126610LV, Thanks my wonderful SA.
Benzsiam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 09:38 AM   #8
Adri4n.
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41, BB58 Blue
It's very frustrating for sure, one that many of us (and some ADs) have contributed to by not wanting to wait it out the new way..

Can't wait until more and more people chose to forgo paying for a new model via Grey in favour of patience or a different brand altogether. Rolexes are stunning watches, but they're definitely not a necessity lol
Adri4n. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 10:05 AM   #9
Goin2drt
Banned

Sadly don’t blame anyone but the idiots buying them. If they weren’t buying them at stupid prices they wouldn’t be that price. Based on this insanity I’d flip one in a heart beat. That is stupid money, crazy profit.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 10:09 AM   #10
time_and_cars
"TRF" Member

Like another OP says.... Just 50 watched... World has 7 billion of people.... Rolex make a lot of watches.... 50 watches don't show any relevant statistics
Rolex Daytona 126500LN/Rolex 126710BLRO/Rolex 126720VTNR/Rolex 126710BLNR/Rolex Oyster 126000/Breitling B01 CHRONOGRAPH 43 CURTISS WARHAWK/Omega“SILVER SNOOPY AWARD” 50TH ANNIVERSARY/Some Swatch x omega x blancpain
time_and_cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 September 2020, 05:18 PM   #11
Gary.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by time_and_cars View Post
Like another OP says.... Just 50 watched... World has 7 billion of people.... Rolex make a lot of watches.... 50 watches don't show any relevant statistics
The market for the Submariner LV is pretty healthy but it isn't 7 billion so I can't see how that number is in any way relevant.
What is the market? Well, Rolex are thought to make about 800,000 watches a year, the majority of which sit in dealers' windows for months.

This needs to be VERY rough because we have no data and some models clearly sell in much larger numbers than other. Some models also have many varieties which vary greatly in popularity but, let's try.

The vast majority of the watches are Rolex produces are Datejusts of which there are around 250 variations.
Let's say (generously) that half of the watches are non-Datejusts meaning that 400,000 are divided up between Oyster Perpetuals, Day-Dates, Sky-Dwellers, Sea-dwellers, Deepseas, Explorers, Explorers 2s, Yacht-Masters, Yacht-master 2s, Daytonas, Milgausses, Air-Kings, GMT-Masters, Cellinis and, finally, Submariners.

Dividing them equally (yes, again, I know that can't be accurate), you get 25,000 per model.

There are 8 Submariner models. The LN Date makes up the bulk of the supply followed by the 124060 and then, I'm guessing, the LV followed by the two-tone and precious metal versions. Since the LV is smack in the middle, let's say it makes up 1 eighth (or 12.5%) giving us 3,125 per year or 260.4 per month.

So, here we go:

The new LV has been being delivered for about a month and, of the expected 260 watches that have been put into circulation, 21.5% are currently up for sale ON ONE SITE!

How many others have been sold, are with greys who use stores, other sites etc, we can't know.

But, even if this very rough scenario is even close to accurate, Rolex can do nothing to stop this situation be adjusting production. Even a 20% increase wouldn't address that number because the greys and flippers would also be getting a greater percentage of the augmented supply and the absolute best case scenario is that they would have to lower their margin on each watch sold.

I know my figures are massively open to dispute but none of us really have any idea how the Rolex cake is cut.

The point I'm trying to make is that moaning about Rolex artificially restricting supply is to completely misunderstand the nature of the problem.
Old 29 September 2020, 05:32 PM   #12
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

I do think it's a mix of a grey getting one and 'regulars' getting one and flipping it to the grey.

Buy it for 8k or whatever the price is and sell it with a huge profit. Easy money.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote