The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 April 2019, 02:14 PM   #1
jwill
"TRF" Member

PM Rolex price just never increase over retail? is that always the trend?

it has always been my question, while SS Rolex's price are rising up so much, but the Rose gold or yellow gold model( especially Daytona) tends to stay at the retail price. Any Guru can answer this question, and If I want a year to but them is the price will still be around this point?
jwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 02:59 PM   #2
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
RG CHNR especially the TT is fetching way over retail on the grey market currently.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 07:54 PM   #3
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 114060, 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post
RG CHNR especially the TT is fetching way over retail on the grey market currently.

yea true. But it is sort of a question if it will stay like this, i think the chnr will be a quite safe bet compared to other tt rolexes though
crazymcmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 07:57 PM   #4
travisb
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes..
Have a look at the rainbow Daytona and green dial YG Daytona..
travisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 11:06 PM   #5
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Exactly.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 01:42 AM   #6
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Exactly.
cant afford That flowerpower watch
Sort of like it though just not me
Old 14 April 2019, 02:42 AM   #7
wulin
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP,AP,Rolex,IWC
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Rainbow daytona is extremely limited in supply.
wulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 05:50 AM   #8
crazymcmichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulin View Post
Rainbow daytona is extremely limited in supply.
I bet the lists are long for it though
Old 14 April 2019, 10:24 AM   #9
Hogtown Fatty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swiss Mad! View Post

I'd hardly call the $2-3k premium they seem to be getting on secondary "way over retail". Or is that substantial for a TT, all things considered? Pepsi's go for double retail, Daytona's as well. Guess it's relative. Also, is there really a markup on the full rg CHNR? If anyone around Toronto wants one right now, there's one available at La Différence in Markham.
Hogtown Fatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 06:31 PM   #10
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogtown Fatty View Post
I'd hardly call the $2-3k premium they seem to be getting on secondary "way over retail". Or is that substantial for a TT, all things considered? Pepsi's go for double retail, Daytona's as well. Guess it's relative. Also, is there really a markup on the full rg CHNR? If anyone around Toronto wants one right now, there's one available at La Différence in Markham.
Yes - 2 to 3k IS a substantial mark up on a TT piece, considering TT have traditionally always been available with a 5 to 10% discount.

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 03:27 PM   #11
peterpl
Banned

The customer base at $30k reduces dramatically for any watch. Its much harder for PM to get over RRP than it is for steel purely because of price point.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2019, 06:34 AM   #12
Ckci
"TRF" Member

Watch: FedEx 4 next 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
The customer base at $30k reduces dramatically for any watch. Its much harder for PM to get over RRP than it is for steel purely because of price point.
I don’t think it has anything to do with this except that fewer people wear gold these days. I prefer the look of the SS Rolex watches. I think another factor is the self fulfilling prophecy that they loose value so there is less demand so they loose value. The fact that the PM watches tend to loose value whereas the SS models tend to go up so free to own the SS models. At least that’s what I tell myself to enable myself. I ignore the opportunity cost of owning them and not having the money invested elsewhere.
Ckci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 07:50 PM   #13
jonathan17
"TRF" Member

Watch: ??? Yes please!
Honestly a PM Rolex at retail at present is already a “Marked up” item, wish i had the funds 5 years ago when all Pm models are less 20-30% at AD’s.
jonathan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 08:59 PM   #14
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I don't think that it is the msrp of the PM pieces that cause the issues with pricing, it is the used watch prices. The SS models have always held up better based on percentages of reduction from cost and when you start looking at 30-40% price reduction on a pre-owned model it does not make since. Add in the number of people that can afford a PM piece or even want one if they can afford one and retail pricing does not work on the average piece. You are always going to see new or limited models selling above retail but that is limited and the exception, not the rule.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 09:39 PM   #15
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
We are witnessing the dawn of a new day with PM. Let's just see what happens...
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 11:06 PM   #16
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Yes indeed
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 02:55 AM   #17
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
This is very true.

I was at a Rolex AD on Weds night and the take away from conversations that i had were...

1) Discounting has stopped or is stopping on PM. Of course there will be small dealers continuing the discounting here and there, but the big gun chains are NOT discounting PM.

2) In affluent areas with the high volume dealers, those dealers are pretty much past the SS "Shortage". It isn't affecting their D2D business as they are upselling to TT, PM or just going to DJ..the sales associates earn higher commissions of those, so they are fine.

3) There is a waiting list forming for some PM models. Gold Subs and some of the Gold Skydwellers are waitlist at some AD.

4) The market value potential of Rolex is finally being realized. The general public consumer has always been willing to spend more money on Rolex than everybody assumed and the "shortage" of lower priced SS sports references is showing that as the shift to TT and PM begins.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 04:01 AM   #18
101031-28
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
This is very true.

I was at a Rolex AD on Weds night and the take away from conversations that i had were...

1) Discounting has stopped or is stopping on PM. Of course there will be small dealers continuing the discounting here and there, but the big gun chains are NOT discounting PM.

2) In affluent areas with the high volume dealers, those dealers are pretty much past the SS "Shortage". It isn't affecting their D2D business as they are upselling to TT, PM or just going to DJ..the sales associates earn higher commissions of those, so they are fine.

3) There is a waiting list forming for some PM models. Gold Subs and some of the Gold Skydwellers are waitlist at some AD.

4) The market value potential of Rolex is finally being realized. The general public consumer has always been willing to spend more money on Rolex than everybody assumed and the "shortage" of lower priced SS sports references is showing that as the shift to TT and PM begins.
Agreed.

Ian Fleming
101031-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 11:55 AM   #19
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
This is very true.

I was at a Rolex AD on Wed night and the take away from conversations that i had were...

Talked to a large dealer in the new Hudson Yards here in NYC and he said the sale of SS Rolexes was no longer a big deal to them economically. Their sales of gold and platinum models (which he claimed were at list price) more than made up for a lower supply of SS. In fact, he said that the SS models were more of a pain as they waste a lot of their time dealing with inquiries. May all be true or only part (or perhaps none).
fsprow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 03:29 AM   #20
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsprow View Post
Talked to a large dealer in the new Hudson Yards here in NYC and he said the sale of SS Rolexes was no longer a big deal to them economically. Their sales of gold and platinum models (which he claimed were at list price) more than made up for a lower supply of SS. In fact, he said that the SS models were more of a pain as they waste a lot of their time dealing with inquiries. May all be true or only part (or perhaps none).
So the Rolex gamble has really paid off with the increased sales of PM meaning more profit for them and their dealer network. With it working so well, expect to see less and less of SS models going forward.
Calatrava r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2019, 10:55 PM   #21
jsausley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270/116710BLNR
PM models have their values already inflated so that Rolex can maintain a certain price gap above steel. Realistically a PM model should only be, at most, the cost of the materials plus the margin but in actuality most of them are significantly more than that. So their true value is less than retail. Plus, they are less in demand. Most people don't want PM anymore. It's too flashy, showy, too soft and more of a target for thieves.
Old 14 April 2019, 07:45 AM   #22
lecorsaire
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsausley View Post
PM models have their values already inflated so that Rolex can maintain a certain price gap above steel. Realistically a PM model should only be, at most, the cost of the materials plus the margin but in actuality most of them are significantly more than that. So their true value is less than retail. Plus, they are less in demand. Most people don't want PM anymore. It's too flashy, showy, too soft and more of a target for thieves.
This is because PM watches are 100% status goods. They have to be well out of reach for most people to be exclusive. It’s always been this way. Right now 30 grand give or take is the floor for a solid gold watch on a bracelet.
Old 14 April 2019, 10:00 AM   #23
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecorsaire View Post
This is because PM watches are 100% status goods. They have to be well out of reach for most people to be exclusive. It’s always been this way. Right now 30 grand give or take is the floor for a solid gold watch on a bracelet.

I definitely agree. If one can afford to buy a PM Rolex which is probably going to be the 2nd or 3rd watch, I would like to think it is for pure enjoyment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 07:52 AM   #24
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:

Odd. I don’t think I agree with any of your points.

Pricing is never based solely or even largely on material cost. That is reflected in SS too. And their “true value” is what someone will pay for them.

Also, lower demand for PM is what people said ten years ago. I would bet big that is not the case anymore. People want PM, maybe not everyone, but more than I think you believe. Even the flashiness and “fear of being robbed” has been diminished due to the flooding of Micheal Kors and the like that make fake PM watches.

jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 10:16 AM   #25
FrontHeadlock
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post

Pricing is never based solely or even largely on material cost. That is reflected in SS too. And their “true value” is what someone will pay for them.

Also, lower demand for PM is what people said ten years ago. I would bet big that is not the case anymore. People want PM, maybe not everyone, but more than I think you believe. Even the flashiness and “fear of being robbed” has been diminished due to the flooding of Micheal Kors and the like that make fake PM watches.

What? His first four sentences are absolutely correct.
FrontHeadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2019, 06:01 AM   #26
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontHeadlock View Post
What? His first four sentences are absolutely correct.
First sentence, yes, probably. But not the rest...sorry.
jb335 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 10:37 AM   #27
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:

This is exactly what is happening and Rolex themselves have discovered this.

They have been selling themselves short for a number of years now. It's time to see where the market lands and so far PM buyers are flexing.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 May 2019, 06:52 AM   #28
MTdweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: the time fly!
Quote:
Well said. Multiple variables affect pricing. If price was solely based on material cost, NOBODY would pay north of $23k for a white dial DaytonaC.
MTdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 09:11 AM   #29
Dr.Smellody
"TRF" Member

Quote:
????? Really strange response.

Not too flashy for me. I can't see how anyone would think that.

Thieves take your chance!
Dr.Smellody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2019, 07:14 PM   #30
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
PM models have their values already inflated so that Rolex can maintain a certain price gap above steel. Realistically a PM model should only be, at most, the cost of the materials plus the margin but in actuality most of them are significantly more than that.
These aren't commodities. The pricing of PMs vary continually. Why would a luxury watch's pricing be tied to the current value of a metal? This makes no sense.

Quote:
So their true value is less than retail. Plus, they are less in demand. Most people don't want PM anymore. It's too flashy, showy, too soft and more of a target for thieves.
FWIW, Pt and SS have almost exactly the same hardness. Pt is the most royal of the PMs and isn't flashy at all. A thief needs to know what their doing to spot WG or Pt. Most just aren't that bright or they'd be in another line of work.

Other than being off on almost everything written you're totally correct. Good spelling however!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote