The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 15 July 2019, 07:14 PM   #91
vintagehartmann
"TRF" Member

Then again the bracelet

makes the SLA017 top-heavy, at least for my wrist. The lint-magnet of a strap has been great though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Yeah its not a very good fit unfortunately.

Does Seiko make any bracelet for any turtle past/present that has a lug drop out of 19mm?

For the price being paid Seiko should really have also supplied a properly fitting bracelet with the SLA033, just like they did with the SLA017. Seiko really dropped the ball on this issue.
vintagehartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 11:17 AM   #92
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelller View Post
...Both had a less-than-spectacular second-hand (aka the same as your standard SBDX001/17 and breathen) which has a very rough finish ...
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 02:56 PM   #93
Lol-x
Facilitator

That second hand is an absolute disgrace...
If this is what Seiko thinks enthusiasts who pay $4,000+ for a "limited edition" expect they are sorely mistaken.

Seiko should give itself a seriously flagellation

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 05:53 PM   #94
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Got a call from my AD today, they're getting a SLA033 in a few days and I'm the 1st one in line, I'm not sure if I will buy it, have much more watches than I can wear.

Btw, that 2nd hand is unacceptable for a $4200 watch. Back then a new 50th Anv Rolex Sub cost me $5200, now $4200 gets me a Seiko diver with rubber strap, Seiko is moving up the market fast with not much to show for.
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 06:49 PM   #95
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

This poor QCis a serious issue for Seiko..

It’s especially troublesome considering the herculean effort they put into finishing on Grand Seiko, but here they have a watch that costs more than some of those references and the finish is very subpar..

Why
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 07:35 PM   #96
CPRWATCH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
I've got to agree that the close up of the 2nd hand quality looks very disappointing, & no metal bracelet for the SLA033 has put me off slightly on buying this model .The SLA017 ( I own one )has also had some quality issues also regarding the bezel rotation slipping & not clicking on increments ( luckily hasn't affected mine ). You would really expect a better package overall for the money . It seems like Seiko have given a lot of thought to 95% of the quality & finish of some of the SLAs but gave up on the last 5% . And as we know, the devil is is the detail ,as this is unlikely a watch that will be bought as an impulse buy .
CPRWATCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 08:41 PM   #97
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I picked up my SLA033 yesterday from my AD and really like it. The wear is good and I have seen no issues with QC on the watch I have. I think if you are buying a $4200 Seiko you are really on a different level for watches by the brand. So many great watches in the sub $1000 range and you can do well sub $500. Yes it is a lot of money but if it is what you want then it is not. I have learned my lesion on waiting on LE watches and it is when available, and you want it, get it. Sort it out later. Better to have and not want than want and not have. I will be posting a lot of picture of my SLA033 as I really like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190715_125701 (002).jpg (165.4 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg 20190715_125634 (002).jpg (145.2 KB, 221 views)
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2019, 09:08 PM   #98
vintagehartmann
"TRF" Member

Re:

Fantastic! It looks great on your wrist!

I agree with you that this is different. As long as people understand that this is not the same as the 6105 (probably the SRP777 is the modern tool watch equivalent and pricing), they can appreciate this watch as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I picked up my SLA033 yesterday from my AD and really like it. The wear is good and I have seen no issues with QC on the watch I have. I think if you are buying a $4200 Seiko you are really on a different level for watches by the brand. So many great watches in the sub $1000 range and you can do well sub $500. Yes it is a lot of money but if it is what you want then it is not. I have learned my lesion on waiting on LE watches and it is when available, and you want it, get it. Sort it out later. Better to have and not want than want and not have. I will be posting a lot of picture of my SLA033 as I really like it.
vintagehartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 09:15 AM   #99
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
That second hand is an absolute disgrace...
If this is what Seiko thinks enthusiasts who pay $4,000+ for a "limited edition" expect they are sorely mistaken...
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman2005 View Post
...Btw, that 2nd hand is unacceptable for a $4200 watch...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
This poor QCis a serious issue for Seiko...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPRWATCH View Post
I've got to agree that the close up of the 2nd hand quality looks very disappointing ... It seems like Seiko have given a lot of thought to 95% of the quality & finish of some of the SLAs but gave up on the last 5% . And as we know, the devil is is the detail ,as this is unlikely a watch that will be bought as an impulse buy .
Gents, all very good and valid points. Seiko took the "stock" second-hand from their "MM300" watches and used it for the SLA033. A real shame and simply put, really skimping in relation to the rest of the watch. IT MAKES NO SENSE. None at all...

Sigh... well, we'll have to listen to Seiko's Customer Service Center and accept the fact that if it looks good from a distance of 20cm...
...and it does look damn good from that distance... really good. All of them do...

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 17 July 2019, 12:48 PM   #100
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Gents, all very good and valid points. Seiko took the "stock" second-hand from their "MM300" watches and used it for the SLA033. A real shame and simply put, really skimping in relation to the rest of the watch. IT MAKES NO SENSE. None at all...

Sigh... well, we'll have to listen to Seiko's Customer Service Center and accept the fact that if it looks good from a distance of 20cm...
...and it does look damn good from that distance... really good. All of them do...

It's what Japanese companies tend to do..in like almost everything they make...

There is meticulous quality and a ridiculous level of detail for almost all of the item. ALMOST. Then they cheap out on one part that makes you go...WTF? Then the efficiency engineering comes in to play...well it works doesn't it?

Why go to all that trouble and then NOT go all the way?
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 01:53 PM   #101
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
It's what Japanese companies tend to do..in like almost everything they make...

Why go to all that trouble and then NOT go all the way?
Are sure other companies do not do this? Like Rolex???
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2019, 01:58 PM   #102
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Gents, all very good and valid points. Seiko took the "stock" second-hand from their "MM300" watches and used it for the SLA033
I am not following you. The second hand is the same design as what came on the original 6105. It is not the same one that came on the MM.

Here is a pic of the MM hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mm.JPG (49.4 KB, 195 views)
Old 17 July 2019, 10:35 PM   #103
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
I am not following you. The second hand is the same design as what came on the original 6105. It is not the same one that came on the MM...
I was referring to the material and/or finish of said material used to produce the seconds hand and NOT the pattern itself.

Sorry for not being more clear
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 18 July 2019, 09:28 AM   #104
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was referring to the material and/or finish of said material used to produce the seconds hand and NOT the pattern itself.

Sorry for not being more clear
Why would you expect them to be different in finish? They are from the same line of Seiko high end divers. They are not GS models. Heck they even share the same bezel design.
Old 18 July 2019, 11:58 AM   #105
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Why would you expect them to be different in finish? They are from the same line of Seiko high end divers. They are not GS models. Heck they even share the same bezel design.
Because they used polished hands for both the SLA017 & SLA025... that's why.
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 18 July 2019, 02:39 PM   #106
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Because they used polished hands for both the SLA017 & SLA025... that's why.
Hahaha okay. I guess I do not see the relevance.
Old 18 July 2019, 02:42 PM   #107
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

disregard, waste of time.
Old 18 July 2019, 09:52 PM   #108
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Hahaha okay. I guess I do not see the relevance.
Seiko has created limited edition models of their earliest divers, added modern functionality (sapphire crystals, up-to-date movements, as used in their current high-end divers, etc). While they chose not to take that last step by adding applied logos etc - as a finishing touch they did provide nicely-polished hands (to almost GS specs). All with the exception of the SLA033's seconds hand which, imo as an owner is a real shame. Let's be clear, the SLA033 is marketed as a collector's reference (as well as a high-end diver), so asking for a polished seconds-hand (as well as applied logos...) is really not asking too much, me thinks...

A reminder to all that Seiko's 8L35-equipped high-end divers retail today around 3K (for example, the SLA021 - $3100) and the SLA033 retails quite a bit higher at $4250.

This...

vs. this

and this

p.s. and for ref. here's the high-end diver's
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 18 July 2019, 10:09 PM   #109
Lol-x
Facilitator

If Seiko wanted to make this right they would offer a free service update/product recall to the SLA033 to replace the hands with appropriately crafted hands.

I'll have to check the hands on mine, and if they are as bad as you present I'm minded to do something about it.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 11:51 PM   #110
Cru Jones

Hi,

With the question below, I really don't mean to minimize any of the concerns or to make fun. I understand that this is an expensive collector's piece and, at any rate, any unsatisfied owner is one too many.

I just have an honest question: to the naked eye, are the problems visible?
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 03:30 AM   #111
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Seiko has created limited edition models of their earliest divers, added modern functionality (sapphire crystals, up-to-date movements, as used in their current high-end divers, etc). While they chose not to take that last step by adding applied logos etc - as a finishing touch they did provide nicely-polished hands (to almost GS specs). All with the exception of the SLA033's seconds hand which, imo as an owner is a real shame. Let's be clear, the SLA033 is marketed as a collector's reference (as well as a high-end diver), so asking for a polished seconds-hand (as well as applied logos...) is really not asking too much, me thinks...

A reminder to all that Seiko's 8L35-equipped high-end divers retail today around 3K (for example, the SLA021 - $3100) and the SLA033 retails quite a bit higher at $4250.

This...

vs. this

and this

p.s. and for ref. here's the high-end diver's
I will say this again. You are magnifying parts up to 10X times and expecting perfect finish on watches that are NOT of the GS line. I think that is ludicrous. Heck anyone magnifying a watch that much either has to much time on their hands, or do not love watches for the same reasons I do. There is no fun in watches with this kind of expectations.

I have a thought. If you are this particular why don't you start your own watch company and show them that you can do better.
Old 19 July 2019, 03:31 AM   #112
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If Seiko wanted to make this right they would offer a free service update/product recall to the SLA033 to replace the hands with appropriately crafted hands.

I'll have to check the hands on mine, and if they are as bad as you present I'm minded to do something about it.
Good luck. Go to any watch manufacturer all tell them you want some replaced that can't be seen with the naked eye and they might tell you to pound sand.
Old 19 July 2019, 06:20 AM   #113
Locust
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I’m ok with the second hand on the sla033. It’s $4k. Not 14k. Also look up the finish work on a $37,000 Rolex white gold gmt that floats around trf and Hh. It’s crap. Obviously it’s a choice by Seiko since they demonstrate some of the best finishing with GS. I think as long as it’s sub 5k that second hand is ok. But it is weird that the 017 and 025 have superior seconds hands. So I definitely see each point here.
Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 07:49 AM   #114
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
I just have an honest question: to the naked eye, are the problems visible?
No, you can't really discern the SLA033's finish with the naked eye. It may look "different" in certain lighting, but not in an offensive way. You can with the SBDEX001's (last photo), in the right light. With the SLA025, the scratches can be seen with the right light, but you wouldn't know what they were unless you were told or saw them under a 6x loupe first. My honest answer to your straightforward question

Quote:
If Seiko wanted to make this right they would offer a free service update/product recall to the SLA033 to replace the hands with appropriately crafted hands. I'll have to check the hands on mine, and if they are as bad as you present I'm minded to do something about it.
It's not going to happen so don't bother trying (in respect to Seiko's "not visible from 20cm, works for us" terms )

Let's pretend I was reviewing the watch for a magazine that rates watches from 1-10. I'd deduct an entire point for the lack of an applied logo, half a point for skimming on the seconds-hand (material) and another half point for
somewhat overpricing the watch. Those are my opinions based on my own experience, limited as it may be. Thus, the SLA033 gets an 8/10. I guess if we had an 8 laying in our beds we wouldn't be so quick to throw them out...

Lastly, you can't really see it so I doubt you (and 99% of the owners) will really care about that. Your unit will thus earn a 8 1/2...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
I’m ok with the second hand on the sla033. It’s $4k. Not 14k. I think as long as it’s sub 5k that second hand is ok. But it is weird that the 017 and 025 have superior seconds hands. So I definitely see each point here.
Exactly. It's been done before, by Seiko, for the same price-class so what happened here. In terms of "4K vs. 14K", I guess one could play this argument ad nauseum. You bought the SLA033 with your 4K and you are happy. Perfect.
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 19 July 2019, 08:03 AM   #115
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I will say this again. You are magnifying parts up to 10X times and expecting perfect finish on watches that are NOT of the GS line. I think that is ludicrous. Heck anyone magnifying a watch that much either has to much time on their hands, or do not love watches for the same reasons I do. There is no fun in watches with this kind of expectations.
So first off, in case you didn't notice, I do "pictorials" as part of the WIS hobby. My way of sharing with said community and for me, time enjoyed so therefore, time well spent. Unlike addressing your commentary which I'm now coming to the realization is indeed a serious waste of my time...

Did you purchase an SLA033? Or an SLA025 or SLA017 or any Seiko that costs upwards of 3K ...? If the answer is yes, then fine, we have different opinions and life goes on If not then I would suggest you should refrain from telling people what to expect for their own money

Quote:
...I have a thought. If you are this particular why don't you start your own watch company and show them that you can do better.
Now you're just being antagonistic. I've made it very clear that Seiko has already provided the requested quality on their other similarly-priced models.

Here's an idea - why don't you follow your own advice; "disregard - just a waste of time"
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 19 July 2019, 09:38 AM   #116
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
why don't you follow your own advice; "disregard - just a waste of time"
Absolutely.

This has no bearings on my comments "Did you purchase an SLA033? Or an SLA025 or SLA017 or any Seiko that costs upwards of 3K ...?". But if you want it to then i can answer it for you.
Old 19 July 2019, 09:45 AM   #117
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Absol...
Zzzzz...
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Old 19 July 2019, 11:12 AM   #118
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Zzzzz...
Old 19 July 2019, 08:29 PM   #119
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
Interesting conversation about expectations of the SLA033 and a 4k watch in general. I got my SLA033 on Monday and it has gotten a lot of wrist time since then. I get the concern and it is valid. For me, I will never look at the watch with a loop, so to my older eyes it looks great. The 4k the watch cost is well worth it in my world where I can run down and spend it on a watch I do not need, but want.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 08:48 PM   #120
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
...I got my SLA033 on Monday and it has gotten a lot of wrist time since then. I get the concern and it is valid. For me, I will never look at the watch with a loop, so to my older eyes it looks great...
First & foremost, congrats

Despite my minor quibbles (because at no time have I suggested they were show-stoppers or scandalous in nature ) I also love the watch and I have no (real) issue with the pricing. Overall, it's another job-well-done and a great addition to my humble collection

Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME