The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 31 August 2021, 01:02 AM   #1
SC197
"TRF" Member

Grand Seiko Only Collection

Hey everyone,

Running into a thought on collecting philosophy when I was evaluating my collection, and want to share some of my thoughts and get your feedback.

I thought about selling all the non-GS pieces in my collection and go GS only. Couple reasons:
- Sick and tired of playing the Rolex game
- GS in my opinion represents some of the best for value based on their current price point and value
- Diversity: I love GS because of their dials. The cases and movements are cool too, but I think the primary value proposition lies in the dial work, and theres plenty of colors/patterns to choose for to match different outfit.
- Still realistic to create a unique collection since GS is still a relatively new brand (particularly in N America). Rolex, on the other hand, is much difficult to pick as a brand to create a unique collection because a.) a lot of people out there own them, hard to be unique b.) unique/limited pieces of rolex have sky high prices now

My primary concerns with a GS-only collection are:
- No good sports models vs alternatives: not saying theres no good sports in the GS line, but in terms of tool/sports watch, my opinion is that GS doesnt have anything close to compete Rolex or even Omega. A lot of the GS sports watches have solid design but terrible dimensions (too thick, dial/case too large, bracelet sucks)
- Not masculine enough: even tho GS has a lot of dial colors/case shapes, most of their design language IMO is more on the elegant/dressy side
- Dress watch is really nice (I particular like to SBGY 007), but compared to A Lange Sohne I feel like they are subpar and not on the same level

Go-forward next step:
- Go with GS-Only collection and just accept my concerns above as some characteristics that come with the brand and no one brand can be perfect: could happen, not sure how likely, and would pain me of having to sell my other watches that I enjoy a lot (GMT-II, Seamaster, Cartier, Gashutte Orginial, Speedy)

OR

- Focus only on the heritage product line of GS thats more of a daily wear (US edition 4 seasons, White Birch...etc), and focus on Rolex for the sports watches, and maybe add 1 or 2 ALS to round out the collection.

Let me know your thoughts on these, would love to hear more on how people think about the composition of their collection!
SC197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 01:14 AM   #2
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I think you're missing out on a lot if you restrict yourself to one brand. Ditching Rolex is fine but there's so much more out there.

I have explored a lot of brands and routinely come back to ones I initially didn't like when I tried them on the first time.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 02:29 AM   #3
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Grand Seiko, definitely on my radar, tried a couple on a few days back and was impressed, the Snowflake is excellent.

I also like the idea of the Spring Drive and how it works, the claimed accuracy.

But I do want to keep my options open.

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 08:08 AM   #4
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
I think you're missing out on a lot if you restrict yourself to one brand. Ditching Rolex is fine but there's so much more out there.

I have explored a lot of brands and routinely come back to ones I initially didn't like when I tried them on the first time.

Totally agree w this. I would never want to restrict myself to one brand. So many good watches out there !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 11:12 AM   #5
rolexfanforlife
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
- Focus only on the heritage product line of GS thats more of a daily wear (US edition 4 seasons, White Birch...etc), and focus on Rolex for the sports watches, and maybe add 1 or 2 ALS to round out the collection.
GS: SBGP017; Omega: PO diamond; RM: 67-02 (Green); Rolex: 16710, 16520, 116509 (TMOP), 116520, 5513, 1680, 16013 (Tiffany stamped), 116610LV, 124300 x 2 (Celebration; Green), 126719BLRO (Meteorite), 226570 (polar) Oyster Quartz; Tag: Monaco; VC: Patrimony!
rolexfanforlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 11:18 AM   #6
Rrpdc
2024 Pledge Member

Love Gs and never would restrict myself to one brand, even Rolex.
Rrpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 11:55 AM   #7
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
I could stick to Seiko and GS only, including vintage with all the cool divers and King Seiko too, but not only GS. I don't see that as any kind of 'philosophy'.
Old 31 August 2021, 02:36 PM   #8
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
Grand Seiko is my favorite watch brand. There's no question that between Seiko and Grand Seiko there's all you could possibly ever NEED in a watch brand, but I think at some point you'd WANT more. I know I do.
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2021, 04:44 PM   #9
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Overthinking 101

Just add a GS or three to your collection.
Fleetlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 01:14 AM   #10
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC197 View Post

I agree with your assessment of the pros and cons. One could certainly have a collection of GS watches, but I think for one who gravitates toward SS sport watches, GS would be a lovely sub-collection. Perhaps a showcase of the various dials. Stick with Rolex/Omega for sport watches, and then something high horology to scratch that itch.
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 01:19 AM   #11
Whineboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Credor GCLP993
Include a Credor, they can be dressier and more exciting than GSs.

GS is more for a successful manager’s daily wear, Credor is for his boss going to an evening event. And Credor is not bound to Taro Tanaka’s Grammar of Design the way GS is, some of their enamel dials are exquisite.

Having a great time…..
Whineboy is offline   Reply With Quote