The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 31 August 2021, 08:30 AM   #1
bluecat128@mac.com
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex DJ
Icon20 New Willard SPB153 & Marine Master?

Any thoughts on the Willard (SPB153) and the new SPB237??? I like the 153 more, I put an ‘ERIKA’ strap on (daily wear)... stock silicone (swim)..
The 237 comes with a strap that looks like my Judo belt,... For my collection, I might buy the SLA0033.... it’s got the 8L (Grand Seiko-like mvt).

Question.... what is the Marine Master all about? I like the look (on paper) of the solid block steel but I rather wait to hear about from my Seiko brothers?
bluecat128@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 06:03 AM   #2
Mr_Pacman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecat128@mac.com View Post
Any thoughts on the Willard (SPB153) and the new SPB237??? I like the 153 more, I put an ‘ERIKA’ strap on (daily wear)... stock silicone (swim)..
The 237 comes with a strap that looks like my Judo belt,... For my collection, I might buy the SLA0033.... it’s got the 8L (Grand Seiko-like mvt).

Question.... what is the Marine Master all about? I like the look (on paper) of the solid block steel but I rather wait to hear about from my Seiko brothers?
You might also want to look at the newly released SLA049 and SLA051. Those are the new willard cases with the 8L35 movements (along the same quality level as the MM300).
Mr_Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 08:53 AM   #3
ashbaug2
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
I had an SBDX017 MM300 for several years but sold it. I regret it slightly, but it was difficult to wear with NATO straps and I could never find a decent rubber strap to work with it. I hated the bracelet. I probably should have plunked down the $120 for a nice AM bracelet but oh well... Looking back, I do think the Marine Master wore well on my wrist (~6.75 inches?) even for the size.

I don't have any experience with the new Willard, but I have my dad's original 1975 6105-8119 and that is a supremely comfortable watch to wear, and cool as heck. The new ones look nice. I almost bought the SLA033 Willard LE, but it was just... off. I think I was comparing it too much to the original and didn't take it for what it was. So maybe seek one of those out to try? Like Pacman said, it's got the 8L35 GS movement. But be cautious, just because the MM or SLA has an 8L in it, doesn't mean it's going to be regulated any better than the 6R movements. My MM300 with the 8L ran about +12 seconds every day I had it, definitely way outside of COSC... if you care about that.

Good luck choosing, make sure you post your incoming when you do.
ashbaug2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2021, 09:33 AM   #4
Ctaranti
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,Rolex,Omega
I just acquired the SPB153 Willard and it is extremely comfortable to wear. The dial color is a army ranger green that I find very attractive and its not too overpowering.
Before purchasing the Willard I tried on a lot of Seiko divers including the MM but found the MM to be well built but quite bulky and heavy.

I highly recommend the 153.

Ctaranti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 September 2021, 01:33 AM   #5
Lonehiker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I can thoroughly recommend the current iteration of the marine master, the SLA021J1. The case is gorgeous, the dial beautifully proportioned and designed, and the 8L35 movement is excellent. The lume is astonishingly bright and stays bright throughout the night. I grew up in the 70s and loved chunky dive watches even as a kid. It does have that 70s vibe, and the thick internally-domed sapphire crystal gives a wonderful feeling of depth. I wear mine on the standard Seiko rubber strap (I don’t like metal bracelets).
Lonehiker is offline   Reply With Quote