The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Feel lucky or pissed?
I would feel so lucky to be on that deposit list and be able to eventually get the watch! 33 60.00%
I would be pissed they’ve held my money for that long! 22 40.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 September 2021, 12:51 PM   #1
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Snoopy - Lucky to be waiting?

Talked to my OB today, sounds like having a delivery this year is unlikely.

I’ve had my deposit in since May 2020, I had expressed interested really early on and stayed in touch. They initially wouldn’t take deposits, but once it became known in April 2020 that Omega was going to release the Snoopy in October, they started taking deposits. Initial deposit was a few thousand dollars, and then I paid the balance with tax included on October 5th when the watch was released.

So, would you all say I’m lucky to have my deposit in and will eventually get the watch? Or be pissed that it could take 2 years to get a delivery on a watch you’ve had a deposit in? I have mixed feelings, happy to be able to get the watch but pretty pissed that they’ve taken my money for this long. My threshold was around a one year wait.

My first luxury watch was an Omega SMP 300M nearly 15 years ago. Not sure how I’m feeling about Omega now given this. I get that I’m not a huge VIP and didn’t expect to get the watch right away. But I like to think I’m a real watch fan, Omega fan, have at least some history, and I put my deposit in at the first chance before even knowing what the watch was going to be. I would’ve thought that counts for something.

Curious how others would feel?
Rollieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 04:48 PM   #2
alpharulez
"TRF" Member

Watch: Assorted!
There is no line or list for you to be able to be added to anymore for this piece globally. If anyone is telling you that then you know something is off as Omega has confirmed this to their global OB and AD network.
So if you have a deposit in then wait it out.

I am in the same boat as you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alpharulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 07:29 PM   #3
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Feels to me like you were very keen to place a deposit and the OB not so keen. They take it and now you are complaining they have taken your deposit and no watch.
You knew it was going to be hot. They knew it was going to be hot.
You have played it well so far getting a deposit placed. You are in a better position I would say than 99% of us. Keep calm and stick it out.
My personal experience of OB’s is far better than Rolex AD’s. My experience also says to get pieces like this you have more chance in a large city OB. The opposite of a Rolex AD.
Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 08:06 PM   #4
Oyster Perp
"TRF" Member

Call me old fashioned, but I would not be happy giving an OB my hard earned cash so they can benefit their turnover for a model they (Omega) themselves are holding down. Of course if your happy to wait a couple of years then that is your choice.
Oyster Perp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 08:12 PM   #5
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
It’s nice to see Omega has at least one watch that everyone’s going nuts for and some are willing to pay significantly over retail for.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 08:18 PM   #6
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oyster Perp View Post
Call me old fashioned, but I would not be happy giving an OB my hard earned cash so they can benefit their turnover for a model they (Omega) themselves are holding down. Of course if your happy to wait a couple of years then that is your choice.
I agree with this.

I just don't understand people paying for something they don't walk out with, or at least have a delivery date for.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 08:22 PM   #7
DoricSpiker
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
I agree with this.

I just don't understand people paying for something they don't walk out with, or at least have a delivery date for.
In the UK Omega won't take a deposit.
DoricSpiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 09:01 PM   #8
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would probably be somewhere in between the two responses listed. You have come this far so why not just sit tight and see how it goes. You are waiting on a great watch and when it arrives all of the other will be behind you.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 09:15 PM   #9
alllexandru
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I would only be pissed if paying the deposit and after 1 year OB will tell it is not going to happen sir, take your money back, now that will piss me off

Voted for 1 because I wanted to pay a deposit and wait but was not possible, small ad without much chances to have one in the next couple of years, at least they were coming true from the beginning
alllexandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 01:54 AM   #10
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
I also have a deposit down for this watch. I was told by the OB that they were forced to refund nearly half their deposit list by HQ. Basically as long as you haven't been refunded, you're guaranteed a watch.
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 02:17 AM   #11
duquephart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snowflake
Quote:
I agree with this.

What did P.T. Barnum say?
duquephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 03:11 AM   #12
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

I'm on the list with the watch payed in full.
Of course I'm a bit annoyed because of the waiting and lack of communication, but there is not much we can do at this point.
The allocation is guaranteed and for me it should happen in 2022 (first half of the year).

To some watch collectors friends, usually Rolex fanboys, that are telling me "they have your money but you are still waiting for your watch, how can you accept that?" I answer that if you had the same opportunity from a Rolex AD for a SS white face Daytona you would have begged them to get your money, especially if this was coming with a guaranteed allocation. So please shut up and spare me the comments about the deposits and waiting time, and if this is an acceptable practice or not.
It's a subjective choice and Omega is not forcing anybody to stay in line with a deposit.
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 03:58 AM   #13
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringhio View Post
To some watch collectors friends, usually Rolex fanboys, that are telling me "they have your money but you are still waiting for your watch, how can you accept that?" I answer that if you had the same opportunity from a Rolex AD for a SS white face Daytona you would have begged them to get your money, especially if this was coming with a guaranteed allocation. So please shut up and spare me the comments about the deposits and waiting time, and if this is an acceptable practice or not.
It's a subjective choice and Omega is not forcing anybody to stay in line with a deposit.
Imagine if Rolex said that the SS white face Daytona would only be produced for a few years with a limited production and the only way you would get one is with a full deposit at an AD. A lot of people would be grateful if they could put down a deposit and happily wait. At least with Omega, the deposit is with an Omega owned boutique so there are less games being played.
Old 16 September 2021, 04:22 AM   #14
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Imagine if Rolex said that the SS white face Daytona would only be produced for a few years with a limited production and the only way you would get one is with a full deposit at an AD. A lot of people would be grateful if they could put down a deposit and happily wait. At least with Omega, the deposit is with an Omega owned boutique so there are less games being played.
That’s fair enough, if it’s managed correctly.

What do you think the people who had their deposits returned think about this though?
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 04:26 AM   #15
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What do you think the people who had their deposits returned think about this though?
I know only people that were on list with AD that got money returned.
Is this really happening with OBs?

I could understand this happening only for people that placed a deposit late when the lists were closing. Although if this happened it is a pain in the neck and they shouldn't have accepted those deposits.
Old 16 September 2021, 07:43 AM   #16
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That really sucks for them but better to be upfront than string them along. At least the deposits were returned kind of quick vs holding for years before saying "sorry, you're not getting it".
Old 16 September 2021, 09:30 AM   #17
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
I know this isn't a perfect situation, but I disagree with those that think Omega is holding this watch back. If you consider that between 2013 and late 2020/early 2021, they only produced around 16k FOIS models (numbered editions), how can we think they can just crank out 10k of these this year in addition to everything else they produce so everyone can have one? Omega has always been slower than they possibly could be. I don't see this as anything other than supply and demand from a company that makes a considerable amount of other models each year. Just my $.02.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 12:15 PM   #18
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Fair point to all, I appreciate the responses and votes.

To clarify I’m not thinking at all about taking my deposit back, I’m obviously going to wait till I get the watch. More thinking about how I should be feeling about it. Stating the obvious, no one is forcing me to keep my deposit with them. Doesn’t mean I should be happy to wait this long either. Also I guess I shouldn’t say I’m “pissed”, because it’s not that emotional. More disappointed that it’s not expected to happen within at least 18 months given my specific case.

The wait continues.
Old 16 September 2021, 01:21 PM   #19
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I think deliveries are happening to the vips with major spend at the OB. Mine actually called me phase 2 with a stated time of q1 2022. Yet I was 14th to pay. They then came back and Said the order is decided by corporate not number received. Whatever, just another premium watch I’m waiting forever for
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 02:07 PM   #20
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
Fair point to all, I appreciate the responses and votes.

To clarify I’m not thinking at all about taking my deposit back, I’m obviously going to wait till I get the watch. More thinking about how I should be feeling about it. Stating the obvious, no one is forcing me to keep my deposit with them. Doesn’t mean I should be happy to wait this long either. Also I guess I shouldn’t say I’m “pissed”, because it’s not that emotional. More disappointed that it’s not expected to happen within at least 18 months given my specific case.

The wait continues.
I'm disappointed too with my expected delivery time being pushed back from Q4 2020 to Q1 2021 to now potentially Q4 2021. I'm not holding my breath for anytime in 2021 and the OB basically gave up on giving me any ETA. Only thing they can tell me is that I'm guaranteed an allocation. I wasn't one of the unlucky people that got refunded and my OB refunded a decent amount of people according to the manager.

To be fair to my OB, I never really thought I would get my watch before 2022.
Old 16 September 2021, 04:04 PM   #21
foreignexport
"TRF" Member

Im on the list, but only paid 20% deposit which I think is fair given the wait time for the watch
Im relaxed about it, I knew what the deal was when I paid the deposit - and the earliest I expected the watch was 2022 - I sense it will be more like 2023
foreignexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 10:28 PM   #22
nr1416
"TRF" Member

I would love to put down a deposit or pay in full for a Daytona and get it in 2 years without all the games/ass kissing/not knowing that comes with the Rolex experience.

So I have no problems with Omega having my deposit for 2 years......but I will have a huge issue if I never get the watch after waiting so long with them having my deposit.

If Omega starts returning deposits after 2 years, there will be a shit show of complaints.
nr1416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2021, 11:54 PM   #23
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr1416 View Post
I would love to put down a deposit or pay in full for a Daytona and get it in 2 years without all the games/ass kissing/not knowing that comes with the Rolex experience.

So I have no problems with Omega having my deposit for 2 years......but I will have a huge issue if I never get the watch after waiting so long with them having my deposit.

If Omega starts returning deposits after 2 years, there will be a shit show of complaints.
I've asked about this to my associate, he told me that it will never happen.
If you are with deposit allocation is guaranteed by Omega HQ.
It's a matter of time, not "if" but "when" is the question.
My feeling is that the waiting will not go over 2023.
A good amount of watches should be delivered in 2022. The list is moving, slowly, but it's moving.
Old 17 September 2021, 12:57 AM   #24
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringhio View Post
My feeling is that the waiting will not go over 2023.
A good amount of watches should be delivered in 2022. The list is moving, slowly, but it's moving.
I've been told something like 5000 watches the first 2 years and after that the production will be really limited and unknown.

I'm just speculating but I think Omega saw all of the criticisms of the limited editions every year and decided to move to an unnumbered limited production instead of a numbered limited edition like past Speedmasters.

They only wanted to produce 5000 Snoopy 50 but the demand was too high so they decided to extend production to over 5000 but keep production limited after the initial run. Again that's just my guess and I have no basis to prove any of this.
Old 17 September 2021, 01:56 AM   #25
sfbatman007
"TRF" Member

It is quite simple what Omega is doing here. They are simply controlling the supply to keep the hype up behind this piece. All the speel about special trained watchmakers building these watches and blah blah blah is just a marketing gimmick. They are constantly watching the pre-owned market to see where the prices are hovering. If price starts falling, which they were, they stopped all shipments and barely anyone has gotten a single piece in the last few months. Once these are harder to get and prices have started climbing again, they will release a few more pieces.

They need something that will be Omega's Daytona and Hulk and they are betting that the snoopy and Ed White might be their key to that.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
sfbatman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 September 2021, 10:37 PM   #26
Kiwi-cucumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: 77350ce
I ordered mine the day it was announced from an OB in the US. Full deposit. No prior history (though I have other omegas I bought pre-owned or internationally for the Tokyo 2020 one). At the time I ordered they said q4 2020, which was great because it was released on my husbands bday so I saw it as his gift for the year. When I ordered, the person on the phone didn’t even know what it was.

I’ve since been told 2022-2024 and that they’ve had less than 20 come in. At this point I’m pretty salty with the omega brand.
Kiwi-cucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2021, 10:43 AM   #27
greengold
Banned

all the people who said it wouldnt be worth more than retail as its not 'limited edition' lol
greengold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2021, 01:53 PM   #28
Rollieo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi-cucumber View Post
I ordered mine the day it was announced from an OB in the US. Full deposit. No prior history (though I have other omegas I bought pre-owned or internationally for the Tokyo 2020 one). At the time I ordered they said q4 2020, which was great because it was released on my husbands bday so I saw it as his gift for the year. When I ordered, the person on the phone didn’t even know what it was.

I’ve since been told 2022-2024 and that they’ve had less than 20 come in. At this point I’m pretty salty with the omega brand.
Comments like these that bring us back to earth. I guess if you’re a huge watch fan, you get a bit used to these games. But looking at it from the lens of a more normal consumer - I could see how putting a deposit and being told 3 months, and then finding out later it’s going to be 2-3 years could really piss people off.
Old 21 September 2021, 07:52 AM   #29
Kiwi-cucumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: 77350ce
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollieo View Post
Comments like these that bring us back to earth. I guess if you’re a huge watch fan, you get a bit used to these games. But looking at it from the lens of a more normal consumer - I could see how putting a deposit and being told 3 months, and then finding out later it’s going to be 2-3 years could really piss people off.
That’s the thing - the games are normal. I know with other brands there are hoops to jump through that usually involve many prior purchases. They’re generally straight with you on that (or are where I am). Taking full payment and saying 3 months for it to become 3 years is another level in my mind. I just hope he’s still excited about it when it finally comes in
Kiwi-cucumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2021, 03:03 PM   #30
Watchamatician
"TRF" Member

I placed my deposit on 5th Oct, and was told 6-12 months. I got my watch last month (11 months wait), which I really didn't expect given the global response to this watch.

Worth noting - no prior history at this OB.

Hang in there guys, it's worth it! Also, there aren't many better things your money could be doing, since it will appreciate 2-3 times when you take collection. Not that you should sell it, but I'm just saying that your money isn't being "wasted".
Watchamatician is offline   Reply With Quote